Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Fairly unbiased discussion of Styx/Mission/big picture

Postby Toph » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:06 am

Toph
Stereo LP

Re: Fairly unbiased discussion of Styx/Mission/big picture

Postby Boomchild » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:29 am

And here is the million dollar question this writer presents. Best part of the article if you ask me.

The question then becomes, why would he want to come back to that band 20 years later when he's making great music as it is? He's working on a new album and did a live DVD a couple years ago. He can tour on his own schedule, and he's already long dispelled the myth pushed by the VH1 show that he didn't want to tour or play rock music.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Dennis out of Styx ,looks like a win -win situation.Works for me. :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby yogi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:21 pm

GREAT article. He nailed every point.

Why does DDY want back in Styx?? Simple answer: He will always believe that it's 'his band'. He raised it, he kept it going, he believed in the new guy, then gave the new guy 'Tommy' equal or close to equal status and for all that his band was stolen from him by the very guys that he helped make millionaires.

No good deed goes unpunished is I'm sure how he somewhat feels.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby masque » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:44 pm

the answer to all your questions is MONEY.

DDY back in styx means more money for everyone.......higher profile gigs, more money. better attendance, more money. better offers from promoters, more money.

and that is 100% ok.......while we all like to believe all artists do music for the love of artistry......at the end of the day, they all want to get paid, just like we do each week. and while I am sure DDY can afford to make less money these days, I am sure he looks at it form the standpoint of "why leave money on the table out there to not be made?". more money means more security for himself, wife and the heirs to his estate.

MONEY
masque
8 Track

Postby gr8dane » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:57 am

Tommy said he would never make another concept record,yet he did.
Metallica said they would never make song videos,yet they did.
I said,as a young fella, I would never eat another liver and brussel sprout sangwich,and yet here I sit and eat one.

The moral of the .........OK,I think you may get the idea. 8)
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:42 pm

masque wrote:the answer to all your questions is MONEY.

DDY back in styx means more money for everyone.......higher profile gigs, more money. better attendance, more money. better offers from promoters, more money.

and that is 100% ok.......while we all like to believe all artists do music for the love of artistry......at the end of the day, they all want to get paid, just like we do each week. and while I am sure DDY can afford to make less money these days, I am sure he looks at it form the standpoint of "why leave money on the table out there to not be made?". more money means more security for himself, wife and the heirs to his estate.

MONEY

I disagree. I don't think the money aspect has anything to do with it. That's because in an interview, I think it was the one he did with Retro Rewind, he said at the time of his ousting from the band he was financially set for the rest of his life. He wouldn't have needed to work another day. In fact, he said he wasn't planning on it. It was his now business partner and family that "pushed him" to start a solo career again. I think what drives it is two things. One, Styx is his legacy (not alone). Second, I believe he feels that they could still do some impressive new work for their fans. On a side note I believe DDY's net worth was estimated in excess of 25 million. That was several years ago.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:28 pm

I think I am one of the few who support both bands. I prefer Styx with DDY, but the odds that ever happening again are low. I like the sound of DDY's band better since sounds like the classics more. I will say, that Styx made a great album here and it is worth a listen to anyone who has not heard it.
I have seen Styx more in concert then DDY since the split, but that is because they come around here more often.
Would be nice to see them get back together with DDY and even Larry, and do a new cd and tour. But either way I am in a win win for me if it means more must and tours from the people in my favorite group.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby masque » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 pm

i massively support both as well. I've never not supported both. I prefer them together, but I will support both in the meantime.
masque
8 Track

Postby masque » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:the answer to all your questions is MONEY.

MONEY

I disagree. I don't think the money aspect has anything to do with it. That's because in an interview, I think it was the one he did with Retro Rewind, he said at the time of his ousting from the band he was financially set for the rest of his life. He wouldn't have needed to work another day. In fact, he said he wasn't planning on it. It was his now business partner and family that "pushed him" to start a solo career again. I think what drives it is two things. One, Styx is his legacy (not alone). Second, I believe he feels that they could still do some impressive new work for their fans. On a side note I believe DDY's net worth was estimated in excess of 25 million. That was several years ago.

gene simmons net worth is over 350 million. roger waters is over 300 million....yet, those artists along with almost all artists care a great deal about they get paid.....and it's a driving force for their choices.

don dokken is financially set and has been for decades. he has been very open about the fact that he didn't snort his millions up his nose and other than buying a few cars, he has lived in a very frugal way. yet, he also said, that if a promoter put enough zero's in an offer he would gladly do another dokken reunion. he didn't need the money though. then last year a japanese promoter put enough zero's in the offer and they reunited to do a short tour of japan......very publicly said he was doing it because they offered enough money to make it worth his while.

point is this....DDY may be "set", comfortable or whatever.....but that was also 17 years ago when all of that was said and discussed......plus a man can consider alot of things about his wealth in a decade and half. maybe he thinks he would be extra special set with one more tour.....maybe he wants to start trust funds for his grandchildren.....who knows...and I don't discount your opinion of how he feels about his legacy or belief that they could make good music.......I am sure he does feel that way.

but, at the end of the day, whether they ever step foot together on a stage or not in there future, the final decisive factor will be money. and once again, i stress that is not a bad thing. we all work to make money. who really truly doesn't want more?
masque
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:30 am

masque wrote:
gene simmons net worth is over 350 million. roger waters is over 300 million....yet, those artists along with almost all artists care a great deal about they get paid.....and it's a driving force for their choices.

point is this....DDY may be "set", comfortable or whatever.....but that was also 17 years ago when all of that was said and discussed......plus a man can consider alot of things about his wealth in a decade and half.

This is all speculation based on the motives of other people. As I quoted in my other reply DDY made it clear money was not a motive to him at this point in his life. He also said that he would have been content to just retire from the business. Add to that I don't believe anyone in the forum is privy to how or what he has invested his wealth in over the years. I believe he has made it clear what is motives are for a reunion and it is not money.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:59 pm

WRONG again Boom!!!! Lucky for all of you I am privy to many of DDY's financial decisions.

My brother helped manage Paper Lace & Rupert Holmes back in the late 70's / early 80's. He met DDY at one of their concerts. I think what impressed Dennis the most was his love of Styx music. He thought 'The Serpent is Rising was an underrated gem and for the longest time I know Dennis secretly agreed.

Anyhow once my brother left the music industry he went to work for American Freedom Mortgage. It was there he got back in touch with Dennis. It was then that Dennis liked his message about having diversity in his portfolio and he gave my brother most of his earnings from the Grand Illusion ( tour & album ) through the Paradise Theater ( tour and album) time period. My brother then went to work investing his hard earned cash.

The following are investments that DDY sunk his money into. ( Note the diversity here)
1. Red Barn & Burger Chef resturants
2. Coke products ( 90-95% invested in New Coke & Surge) also Jolt Cola
3. Auto Industry - Big amount of cash was first invested in the American Motors Corporation especially the division of AMC that built the Hornet, Gremlin & Pacer cars. Later Dennis invested heavily in GEO especially the Metro - Influence was felt in his music ' smaller cars & VCRs were here to stay' - Harry's Hands
4. Airline - Peoples Express Airlines

Dennis also always wanted to own a sports franchise, or at least be involved in some small way around that industry. ' I want to be a millionaire and own a baseball team' - ' Gravity' He first invested in the reviving of Charlie Finley's dream of an Orange Baseball. Then he bought into the World Football League and The New Jersey Generals. He also threw massive amounts of money at Enron when he found out that the Houston Astros would be playing at Enron field. Being a HUGE Roger Clemens fan Dennis thought it was a great idea to invest in a pharmaceutical company and a drug called Vioxx. Roger used it often and my brother and DDY thought it to be a great investment.

It was a complete shock to Dennis and everyone at American Freedom Mortgage when they filed Chapter 11 back in 2007.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Return to Styx