The power ballad

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

The power ballad

Postby Abitaman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:28 am

Styx, Journey, REO, Foreigner, and many more make the list...http://teamrock.com/feature/2015-02-14/ ... s-playlist
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Re: The power ballad

Postby Toph » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:03 pm

Abitaman wrote:Styx, Journey, REO, Foreigner, and many more make the list...http://teamrock.com/feature/2015-02-14/ ... s-playlist

Interesting that it calls "Lady" the first power ballad. But hey, that's still not enough to get Styx into the RnR HOF I guess, huh Boomer?

And of course, ballads ruined the band too. They were never the same after '73... :roll:
Toph
Stereo LP

Re: The power ballad

Postby Boomchild » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:33 am

Toph wrote:

Interesting that it calls "Lady" the first power ballad. But hey, that's still not enough to get Styx into the RnR HOF I guess, huh Boomer?

And of course, ballads ruined the band too. They were never the same after '73... :roll:

It's all about context, Toph. While talking about that Lady could be considered one of the first "power ballads" he goes onto say "now you know some of the people to blame for the power ballad". Additionally he says "if you can get past DeYoung's shrill vocals". Do these comments sound favorable to you? If they do, you may have a comprehension problem. What this writer does is confirm the stigma that still exist about DDY and Styx. I NEVER ascribed to the notion that "ballads" ruined the band. So take that up with those that do.

BTW, We are still waiting for the reasons YOU think Styx is not in the RRHOF. Where are they? Or can't you even articulate something so simple.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Return to Styx