WHEN IS DDY’s

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby yogi » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 am

New album suppose to hit?

Can’t wait to hear it. Does anyone know if he’s gonna make it like a Styx album, with different band members taking the lead on vocals. His band has the chops to for sure do this.
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3985
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 am

yogi wrote:New album suppose to hit?

Can’t wait to hear it. Does anyone know if he’s gonna make it like a Styx album, with different band members taking the lead on vocals. His band has the chops to for sure do this.


DDY hasn't been saying much. Which I think is typical when he has a project that is "in progress". He has said that songs on it will speak to current social and political issues. As I understand it he is working with Jim Peterik on some of the material. I think he also said that if you enjoyed OYFN you should like the new material. The last thing I remember him saying about it was that all the songs for it have been written.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6783
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby gr8dane » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:52 am

Boomchild wrote:
yogi wrote:New album suppose to hit?

Can’t wait to hear it. Does anyone know if he’s gonna make it like a Styx album, with different band members taking the lead on vocals. His band has the chops to for sure do this.


DDY hasn't been saying much. Which I think is typical when he has a project that is "in progress". He has said that songs on it will speak to current social and political issues. As I understand it he is working with Jim Peterik on some of the material. I think he also said that if you enjoyed OYFN you should like the new material. The last thing I remember him saying about it was that all the songs for it have been written.


With the last album,when people asked about, when that album was going to be released,Dennis would say,'when it's finished'.
Probably the same with this.

Working with Peterik, ehh? Wasn't it toph ,who thought it was pathetic ,Styx needed outside help with making their last album ? :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2608
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 am

gr8dane wrote:
Working with Peterik, ehh? Wasn't it toph ,who thought it was pathetic ,Styx needed outside help with making their last album ? :lol:


Well,it's apparent that the bulk of the material and concept for "The Mission" was written by TS and his writing partner. If the bulk of DDY's forthcoming project is written by Peterik then I guess you could argue the same thing. Somehow I doubt that is going to be the case.

DDY has co-written songs with Peterik for his albums. But it wasn't for the entire concept and album. I would assume that would be the case here.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6783
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby LtVanish » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:28 am

If you listen to Jim Peterik's updates on Soundcloud he talks about the DDY project when they work on it.

https://soundcloud.com/world-stage
User avatar
LtVanish
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: Chicago IL

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:08 am

LtVanish wrote:If you listen to Jim Peterik's updates on Soundcloud he talks about the DDY project when they work on it.

https://soundcloud.com/world-stage


Do you happen to know which post(s) he has talked about it? I would be interested in what he has to say.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6783
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby yogi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21 am

I’m just kind of hoping since Dennis band was soooo good when I heard them in concert including Miss America and all of Tommy’s hits, that Dennis would really try to make this a ‘ Styx’ project. Maybe something like 7-8 DDY led songs, 3 or 4 Tommy songs and a JY tune.

On the other he can collaborate all he wants as long as the material is good.

His last album was fantastic. Rubicon will always be one of my favorite stand alone songs ever
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3985
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm

yogi wrote:I’m just kind of hoping since Dennis band was soooo good when I heard them in concert including Miss America and all of Tommy’s hits, that Dennis would really try to make this a ‘ Styx’ project. Maybe something like 7-8 DDY led songs, 3 or 4 Tommy songs and a JY tune.

On the other he can collaborate all he wants as long as the material is good.

His last album was fantastic. Rubicon will always be one of my favorite stand alone songs ever


I too hope he has August and Jimmy sing a song or two. They have the chops. DDY has really put together a cohesive band. Not just a bunch of musicians to back him up.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6783
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Monker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:42 pm

When was the last time HE talked about this CD?

IMO, this seemed like a knee jerk reaction to "The Mission"....as if he felt he had to come up with something just because Styx did. If that's the case, and he had not already had SIGNIFICANT work done on it...I would not expect anything for at least three years.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9843
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby yogi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:33 pm

He talked about it when I saw him in concert in Shreveport/ Bossier City La. early last summer.

He made it sound like it was really going to be a 'Styx type' of effort or album. I dont remember exactly how he put it but after the intro his band went into a KICK ASS version ( first time ever ) of Miss America.

If you closed your eyes you would of swore it was JY playing it back in 78 at the original Main Event tour.
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3985
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Toph » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:51 pm

Monker wrote:When was the last time HE talked about this CD?

IMO, this seemed like a knee jerk reaction to "The Mission"....as if he felt he had to come up with something just because Styx did. If that's the case, and he had not already had SIGNIFICANT work done on it...I would not expect anything for at least three years.


He talks about it all the time. Listen to his podcasts. He just talked about it. Educate yourself.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:01 am

Monker wrote:When was the last time HE talked about this CD?

IMO, this seemed like a knee jerk reaction to "The Mission"....as if he felt he had to come up with something just because Styx did. If that's the case, and he had not already had SIGNIFICANT work done on it...I would not expect anything for at least three years.


When DDY put out his Live from LA release he stated that the record label offered him a deal to do an album. He has talked about it on and off for quite some time. He said at that point he already had some songs written he was thinking of using for it. This of course was long before Styx announced The Mission. He has talked about the progress recently with the mention of working with Peterik. He recently stated that all the songs have been written. He has posted stuff about it on his FB for quite some time.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6783
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Toph » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:56 am

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:When was the last time HE talked about this CD?

IMO, this seemed like a knee jerk reaction to "The Mission"....as if he felt he had to come up with something just because Styx did. If that's the case, and he had not already had SIGNIFICANT work done on it...I would not expect anything for at least three years.


When DDY put out his Live from LA release he stated that the record label offered him a deal to do an album. He has talked about it on and off for quite some time. He said at that point he already had some songs written he was thinking of using for it. This of course was long before Styx announced The Mission. He has talked about the progress recently with the mention of working with Peterik. He recently stated that all the songs have been written. He has posted stuff about it on his FB for quite some time.



But....but.....but.....that goes against Monkeyboy's "dialog".... that Dennis is somehow jealous of a mediocre Styx album....
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby gr8dane » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:38 pm

LOL toph.For a mediocre album,Mission sure got a lot of great reviews. :lol:
Maybe you better re-read those to educate yourself.
Bam.Mic drops. :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2608
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Toph » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:17 am

gr8dane wrote:LOL toph.For a mediocre album,Mission sure got a lot of great reviews. :lol:
Maybe you better re-read those to educate yourself.
Bam.Mic drops. :lol:


Average album. Period. Reviews from the guy that wrote the liner notes don't count.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby yogi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:49 am

The Mission was an ABSOLUTE Gem that for me gets better and better with each listen. What was also great was that it surprised the hell out of most of us since Styx led us to believe that a new album from them may never happen again.

As for DDY he has been working on his new album and has talked about new material even before ( I think) Styx even mentioned the Mission.

Cant wait to hear it.
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3985
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby masque » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:02 am

regardless who wrote it or what band it's supposed to represent, the mission is a fantastic album.
masque
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby gr8dane » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Yes Mission really is an excellent record.
Guess it really irks toph how well received it was.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2608
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Toph » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:20 am

gr8dane wrote:Yes Mission really is an excellent record.
Guess it really irks toph how well received it was.



Yeah, somehow I missed the grammy nomination, top 10 album, #1 single, sold out mega concert tour....
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby gr8dane » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:29 am

Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:Yes Mission really is an excellent record.
Guess it really irks toph how well received it was.



Yeah, somehow I missed the grammy nomination, top 10 album, #1 single, sold out mega concert tour....


You mean,like the long list you have,but can't find right now,of 70ies bands,still raking in the grammys,having #1 hits,selling 4 million per album and selling out stadiums ? Love to see it when you find it. :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2608
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby yogi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:27 am

Poor Poth hasn't seen the episode when Wilma starts the rumor the Hi Fi is a square.

I wonder what its like being trapped in 1980??
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3985
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:28 am

Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:Yes Mission really is an excellent record.
Guess it really irks toph how well received it was.



Yeah, somehow I missed the grammy nomination, top 10 album, #1 single, sold out mega concert tour....


You need a reality check. Even in Styx' "hay day" they barely made even grammy nominations. The likelihood of that happening in their twilight years is next to impossible.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6783
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby masque » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:12 am

i dont care about grammy nominations etc......all I am saying is that the album was very well written and performed. I very much enjoyed it whether it was done by styx or a new band called "firesticks"....good is good.


I love bands like Jellyfish and King's x........many bands like that never have good album sales, but it does not mean that dont release good work.

and lastly, many on here loved DDY's 100 years from now, and it certainly didn't set any sales records. since when did sales become the determining factor to quality?
masque
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby gr8dane » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 pm

Weren't the grammys just on.? Did any 70ies bands win anything ? Nominated ?
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2608
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Toph » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:00 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:Yes Mission really is an excellent record.
Guess it really irks toph how well received it was.



Yeah, somehow I missed the grammy nomination, top 10 album, #1 single, sold out mega concert tour....


You need a reality check. Even in Styx' "hay day" they barely made even grammy nominations. The likelihood of that happening in their twilight years is next to impossible.



Hey Fuck face - Check out what Cornerstone did.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:54 am

Toph wrote:Hey Fuck face - Check out what Cornerstone did.


And how LONG AGO was that?? DECADES ago. You really like to live in the past don't you? Also to the best of my knowledge Styx never won a Grammy. That's with 4 consecutive platinum selling albums. Frankly, I could care less how they did or would do in terms of a Grammy award. The votes don't come from the fans.

For me the Grammy's like the RNR HOF are a joke. Case and point, look how long the Grammy's ignored the hard rock, "heavy metal" category. It wasn't until public pressure was put on them to include them for consideration. Then in the very first time they did, who did they give it to? That's right, Jethro Tull. A no longer relevant act. There were plenty of other relevant acts to pick from.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6783
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Monker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:02 pm

Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:LOL toph.For a mediocre album,Mission sure got a lot of great reviews. :lol:
Maybe you better re-read those to educate yourself.
Bam.Mic drops. :lol:


Average album. Period. Reviews from the guy that wrote the liner notes don't count.


Well, there is a review written a few dozen posts down that sums it up by saying:

"Given my feelings toward this incarnation of the band and how they've treated Dennis I wanted to blast this album out to space myself and give it an F. At best, a D.

I can't. Its too good. It gets a B+ in my book."

B+ is much more than average which would be a C.

This guy named Toph wrote it. Perhaps you can go down and reply to his review and teach him a lesson on what average really is.

Personally, I'd give it a "B". It's a bit too short, IMO. Cyclorama is a step better. So, Toph, with his above average B+ rating, likes it more than me. It's still a great album. I am glad they released it. I'm glad I own it. Hope they do another.

And, yes, we hardly hear anything about a new anything from DDY. Styx released the "MIssion" and then Dennis hits the press about releasing concept album. Yeah, I think he is very jealous. And, I give it two years before it is released, if it is released at all.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9843
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Toph » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:28 am

Monker wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:LOL toph.For a mediocre album,Mission sure got a lot of great reviews. :lol:
Maybe you better re-read those to educate yourself.
Bam.Mic drops. :lol:


Average album. Period. Reviews from the guy that wrote the liner notes don't count.


Well, there is a review written a few dozen posts down that sums it up by saying:

"Given my feelings toward this incarnation of the band and how they've treated Dennis I wanted to blast this album out to space myself and give it an F. At best, a D.

I can't. Its too good. It gets a B+ in my book."

B+ is much more than average which would be a C.

This guy named Toph wrote it. Perhaps you can go down and reply to his review and teach him a lesson on what average really is.

Personally, I'd give it a "B". It's a bit too short, IMO. Cyclorama is a step better. So, Toph, with his above average B+ rating, likes it more than me. It's still a great album. I am glad they released it. I'm glad I own it. Hope they do another.

And, yes, we hardly hear anything about a new anything from DDY. Styx released the "MIssion" and then Dennis hits the press about releasing concept album. Yeah, I think he is very jealous. And, I give it two years before it is released, if it is released at all.



Every post you make you prove how much of an absolute idiot you are. DDY talks about his album all the time on his podcasts. Maybe you don't tune in, but you should. You really are an idiot.

As for Mission. It hasn't beat the test of time for me. I thought it was good initially upon hearing it. 6 months later, I can't tell you the last time I put it in to listen to it. There is nothing that catchy on that album that makes me want to go back again and again and again. The initial few listens are fine. But there are few if any ear worms that you want to listen to it over and over again.No real classic tunes on this album.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby yogi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:38 am

Twopher, its TOTAL opposite for me. Just spun it on the way home last night and driving to work today. The album transfers seamlessly from track to track. EVERY song is good.

IMO Locomotive, Radio Silence , The Greater Good, The Red Storm are as good as anything Styx has ever done. ( TRUE CLASSIC STYX songs)

Locomotive is at the top of the list of these songs.

Just a tremendous effort that gets better and better.

I hope DDY finds a way to one up em. I've ALWAYS felt that he was the straw that stirred the Styx drink & the TRUE STYX SUPERSTAR. I hope he's got it em to put out another excellent Rock & Roll album.
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3985
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: WHEN IS DDY’s

Postby Monker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Toph wrote:Every post you make you prove how much of an absolute idiot you are. DDY talks about his album all the time on his podcasts. Maybe you don't tune in, but you should. You really are an idiot.


WTF are you talking about. I was saying DDY was not going on about a new concept album until AFTER THE MISSION WAS RELEASED. So, OF COURSE he is going to be talking about it NOW - that proves my point you dumb-ass.

You know, I was wondering why you were not over in the Trump thread in the General forum. It's obviously because you are such an idiot you can't even talk up to Trump level. Do you write your posts via teleprompter?
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9843
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Next

Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests