Moderator: Andrew

[Article] Why it's OK to love Styx

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:13 pm

StyxGuy
Ol' 78

Re: [Article] Why it's OK to love Styx

Postby masque » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:53 am

cool....thanks for posting!

you know here's the thing.....when I was growing up nearly everyone I knew LOVED styx. you could barley go into ANY friends house and not see PT or the grand illusion in their album collection. DDY's stage antics were not necessarily as "over the top" as what they seem nowadays......styx as a whole didn't really look a great deal goofier than REO or Journey or Foreigner did in their videos. all of the big 70's bands I think struggled a bit to figure out how to make good videos......although, I still love em all!!!!

I think what changed things for styx was the aftermath of the whole Roboto thing. But make no mistake, while I know some of their fanbase was alienated by Roboto and the Kilroy album, lest us not forget, that it still sold 2 million copies, Roboto was a top 3 single and they were ALL over MTV with the video. All of classmates at school freaking loved it.

But I think as time went on into the late 80's and then the forgettable early 90's, all of the stuff from the 70's and 80's were seen as something to make fun of.......and what was easier to make fun of than the guy/band that the did the robot song? I mean SNL wasn't gonna go after Foreigner for doing Juke Box Hero or Urgent......not gonna attack Journey for Separate Ways or even REO for Cant Fight This Feeling.......BUT, the guy in the robot mask, now that's fair game!

So I think they kind of became the poster child for attacking the infamous "arena rock" bands. was it unfair? for the most part yes. did they bring some of it on with the whole roboto thing and DDY going to full pastel colors with his clothes and short grey hair for his solo career? yeh probably.......remember, while DDY was looking like your grandpa trying to star in an episode of Miami Vice with his clothing, you had Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Ratt and Motley Crue starting to own the charts and MTV airwaves. It was just a perfect storm.

But here's the thing......even with all of that being true from my point of view......I NEVER stopped loving styx or DDY or anything they were involved with. Yeh, some of the solo albums dont hold up as well anymore, but i've logged alot of time singing along to Gravity.

And people can say what they want to say about styx, but NONE of the arena rock bands from that time ever had a more triumphant live return than the 96 reunion tour. That tour was one of the top grossing of the summer and even outsold Looooooolllllooooopooolllllza or whatever it was in several large markets......they also outsold Metallica in several large markets. The only thing close to that was Journey's return with Arnel and that walmart album selling a million copies but I dont think even that tour did as well as the 96 styx tour....but i may be wrong.

my point is, that styx is truly a great and memorable band that had a few missteps along the way like all artists do in imagery and song choices......but not many.

I am proud to be a styx fan and I have never nor will I ever be embarrassed to call myself a styx fan.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:56 am

I only wish I'd been able to see Styx with Dennis. Seen and met him once (missed 3 other times to see him near me, one he cancelled). Styx I've seen 10 times now :P
StyxGuy
Ol' 78

Postby masque » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:17 am

my older brother had tickets to take me to the Kilroy tour, but that's when Tommy rammed his hand through a glass door and several dates were cancelled and not made up. I was 13 at the time.

I didn't get to see styx until edge of the century tour. I saw them 2 times on that tour and I saw damn yankees 6 times on their tour that was happening at the same time. so I got a pretty good dose of my boys over that 1.5 years or so.

then I saw damn yankees 2 more times on the dont tread tour.

then I got see the styx reunion tour 3 times and then again saw them 2 more times on the 97 tour. it was glorious to say the least.....one of the highlights of my life from a musical standpoint for sure.

didn't see them again until the brave new world tour and since that time I have seen them about 16 times since beginning on that tour through last year. I also have seen DDY once solo during that time span.

all of that basically means I like me some styx music. lol
masque
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx