The Cornerstone and Beyond myth

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: The Cornerstone and Beyond myth

Postby Boomchild » Sat May 19, 2018 12:04 pm

masque wrote:oh that's right, I forgot, styx didn't have a cog.......they had a cock. 8)

Now that sheds some light on things.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 am

Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:I think the bulk of those songs have plenty enough "rock" elements that I would consider them far from being just pop songs or ballads. and when you sprinkle those songs above around songs like great white hope, renegade, blue collar man, lord of the rings, grand illusion, miss america, castle walls, midnight ride, born for adventure, queen of spades etc. then it easily shows that styx was a ROCK band first and foremost during those days. The for sure morphed into less of a rock band by cornerstone and beyond because of more ballads and horns and writing styles shifting etc.

And it shifted because as DDY pointed out he felt that style of music had runs it's course and he felt in order for the band to stay relevant they needed to branch out into something different. Regardless of what TS and JY feel or say about it now they followed DDY's lead. Also he has said that he was getting tired of repeating the same type of over and over. It yielded their one and only number one single and opened them up to a broader audience. While it confused or dismayed some existing fans it was a good move business wise. In the music business sometimes the choices you make don't line up with your " musical integrity" or isn't exactly the type of music artists really feel like doing. But making money is the point. Once you achieve success the record company expects you to do something to repeat it and hopefully exceed it. At that point if you bomb the label is going to drop you. No matter how you slice it, it's gamble. The way I see it, it paid off for them even though it wasn't exactly what JY and TS may have had in mind.

It's clear DDY was more open minded when it came to the type or style of music the band could do. JY and I think to a lesser extent TS were rigid in that regard. Hence it became one of the reasons for the rift between them. For me personally the "classic Styx line up" never put out anything that made me think of not listening to them or stop buying their music.

At this point what else can be said on this subject? For God's sake, what is done is done. No manner of rehashing is going to change it. It's better to accept things how they are and follow whichever you want to. Be glad they are all still out there playing and creating some new material.

If they don't shift, they become Kansas - irrelevant by 1980. But I still argue that the "shift" isn't as extreme as some make it out to be. "Sing for the Day" and "Fooling Yourself" would have been right at home on Cornerstone.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby masque » Mon May 21, 2018 10:47 pm

Toph wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:I think the bulk of those songs have plenty enough "rock" elements that I would consider them far from being just pop songs or ballads. and when you sprinkle those songs above around songs like great white hope, renegade, blue collar man, lord of the rings, grand illusion, miss america, castle walls, midnight ride, born for adventure, queen of spades etc. then it easily shows that styx was a ROCK band first and foremost during those days. The for sure morphed into less of a rock band by cornerstone and beyond because of more ballads and horns and writing styles shifting etc.

And it shifted because as DDY pointed out he felt that style of music had runs it's course and he felt in order for the band to stay relevant they needed to branch out into something different. Regardless of what TS and JY feel or say about it now they followed DDY's lead. Also he has said that he was getting tired of repeating the same type of over and over. It yielded their one and only number one single and opened them up to a broader audience. While it confused or dismayed some existing fans it was a good move business wise. In the music business sometimes the choices you make don't line up with your " musical integrity" or isn't exactly the type of music artists really feel like doing. But making money is the point. Once you achieve success the record company expects you to do something to repeat it and hopefully exceed it. At that point if you bomb the label is going to drop you. No matter how you slice it, it's gamble. The way I see it, it paid off for them even though it wasn't exactly what JY and TS may have had in mind.

It's clear DDY was more open minded when it came to the type or style of music the band could do. JY and I think to a lesser extent TS were rigid in that regard. Hence it became one of the reasons for the rift between them. For me personally the "classic Styx line up" never put out anything that made me think of not listening to them or stop buying their music.

At this point what else can be said on this subject? For God's sake, what is done is done. No manner of rehashing is going to change it. It's better to accept things how they are and follow whichever you want to. Be glad they are all still out there playing and creating some new material.

If they don't shift, they become Kansas - irrelevant by 1980. But I still argue that the "shift" isn't as extreme as some make it out to be. "Sing for the Day" and "Fooling Yourself" would have been right at home on Cornerstone.

I actually see the validity of your point on both of those Toph.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby masque » Mon May 21, 2018 10:50 pm

Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:oh that's right, I forgot, styx didn't have a cog.......they had a cock. 8)

Now that sheds some light on things.

just a joke to break up the droning of our message board cog spinning round and round making the same points over and over.

I think, like most humans, they all probably had "cock filled" moments form time to time dealing with each other. with that kinds of money, drugs, fame and ego running rampant, it only seems logical.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Tue May 22, 2018 2:16 am

masque wrote:I think, like most humans, they all probably had "cock filled" moments form time to time dealing with each other. with that kinds of money, drugs, fame and ego running rampant, it only seems logical.

You can say that again.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Previous

Return to Styx