The first time ever!

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: The first time ever!

Postby Archetype » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:54 pm

I hope Tommy comes out and says they’re playing it now just to fuck with Toph.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:35 pm

masque wrote:
Oh I understand some folks are doing a PR spin.......my post was saying as for me, I am personally not spinning anything.

as for the band doing things we didn't think they would because of past feelings.....that's exactly it.......the link the JY interview sums it up perfectly. as he continues to get older he is mellowing and I am sure TS is as well.....and they look at the songs differently and appreciate them differently than what they may have done 35 years ago or even 5 years ago.

people's perspectives change.

Except this isn't just about "perspectives". It's also about principles. Roboto and KWH was the basis of what TS and JY said they railed against with DDY. They made it clear it wasn't the kind of thing they wanted to do nor did they think it represents what Styx was about. Remember their position has been what they did from '77 to '78 was what really what Styx was about. They didn't like nor want the "theatrical" elements DDY was "pushing" on them. Sorry but this is just plain and simple hypocrisy. Or maybe it suggests that their motives on wanting to push DDY out of the band was something else.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Cassie May » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:12 am

Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:
Oh I understand some folks are doing a PR spin.......my post was saying as for me, I am personally not spinning anything.

as for the band doing things we didn't think they would because of past feelings.....that's exactly it.......the link the JY interview sums it up perfectly. as he continues to get older he is mellowing and I am sure TS is as well.....and they look at the songs differently and appreciate them differently than what they may have done 35 years ago or even 5 years ago.

people's perspectives change.

Except this isn't just about "perspectives". It's also about principles. Roboto and KWH was the basis of what TS and JY said they railed against with DDY. They made it clear it wasn't the kind of thing they wanted to do nor did they think it represents what Styx was about. Remember their position has been what they did from '77 to '78 was what really what Styx was about. They didn't like nor want the "theatrical" elements DDY was "pushing" on them. Sorry but this is just plain and simple hypocrisy. Or maybe it suggests that their motives on wanting to push DDY out of the band was something else.

Or maybe it simply suggests they are giving fans what they've been asking for for years now. Good grief, you all analyze everything to death, looking for hidden messages and motives behind everything these guys do. Who cares?? They played it, the fans who saw them play it enjoyed it, end of story. Move on. Enjoy your day.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:55 am

Cassie May wrote:Or maybe it simply suggests they are giving fans what they've been asking for for years now. Good grief, you all analyze everything to death, looking for hidden messages and motives behind everything these guys do. Who cares?? They played it, the fans who saw them play it enjoyed it, end of story. Move on. Enjoy your day.

Oh no that couldn't be. That would indicate that TS and JY were wrong. As you know that can't be the case. They haven't been playing that song and other DDY stuff because that isn't what the real Styx fans want to hear. Nothing is hidden here. It's just plain and simple hypocrisy. Countless times I have read from those that support this incarnation of Styx saying they don't need to play certain songs because the fans aren't missing them. Which included stuff off KWH.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Cassie May » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:36 am

You know what's hypocritical? For years, y'all have been bitching about stale setlists, saying that Styx needs to change things up, and that they should do songs they've long avoided. Well, now they finally have, and rather than acknowledging that they have done it, all you can do is complain about it and call them hypocrites. You all are determined to hate on everything these guys do, aren't you? :roll: Life is far too short for this, and I have better things to do. Peace out.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby blt man » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Looks very similar to Dennis' current version. Not sure where they "rocked it up". Too bad they are no closer to working together one last time. In a recent Facebook post Dennis claims they could have reunited on Jimmy Fallon to play To Much Time on My Hands and implies the other guys didn't want to do it.
blt man
45 RPM

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:24 pm

Cassie May wrote:You know what's hypocritical? For years, y'all have been bitching about stale setlists, saying that Styx needs to change things up, and that they should do songs they've long avoided. Well, now they finally have, and rather than acknowledging that they have done it, all you can do is complain about it and call them hypocrites. You all are determined to hate on everything these guys do, aren't you? :roll: Life is far too short for this, and I have better things to do. Peace out.

I have not been commenting how their set list is stale and they should be doing songs they have avoided. This is mainly due to the fact that I am not going to see the band as it currently exists. They are no longer "my cup of tea" so to speak. I have said that I think they don't do certain songs that DDY was the lead vocal because it isn't a fit for Gowan's vocal style. I am not determined to hate everything they do either. I have said many times they are a talented group of musicians and I'm sure they still put on a very professional show. When "The Mission" came out I stated that it was well produced and musicianship was good. It just didn't do anything for me personally. Perhaps the problem here is that the current Styx playing this particular song flies in the face of all TS\JY have said about KWH and why they don't play that material. Perhaps your reaction is based on the fact that it is hard for some fans of TS\JY to justify this action based on what they have said in the past.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:00 am

Dennis has commented on the new development.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4839630509
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:06 am

Archetype wrote:Dennis has commented on the new development.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4839630509

And again he said he wants a reunion.
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Fact Finder wrote:Last night, decent sound and vid here. I wouldn’t say the crowd went wild at the end though, like an encore should.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aO_n2kKncXE

It seems to me that at certain parts Gown's voice seemed labored on it. I think I have commented in other threads that personally I never really liked live performances of this song. I just don't think it comes off very well. The album version is very studio production heavy which just seems to not translate well to a live performance.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:42 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
And again he said he wants a reunion.

Yep and not surprising. I think he will be doing so right up to his departure from this world. I think he may not realize that by now everyone including his former band mates knows this is what he would like to see. It's either that or he is trying to wish it into reality.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:38 am

yeh DDY says he wants a reunion after also laying into the guys.......essentially talking out of both sides of his mouth......which could be argues that is exactly what TS and JY have done at times.

to me, DDY sounds awful butthurt.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:28 am

masque wrote:yeh DDY says he wants a reunion after also laying into the guys.......essentially talking out of both sides of his mouth......which could be argues that is exactly what TS and JY have done at times.

How do you expect someone to feel when they were shut out of something they spent the majority of their adult life building?
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:16 am

Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:yeh DDY says he wants a reunion after also laying into the guys.......essentially talking out of both sides of his mouth......which could be argues that is exactly what TS and JY have done at times.

How do you expect someone to feel when they were shut out of something they spent the majority of their adult life building?

I expect him to feel exactly how he does. It's like seeing your x-wife with a new boyfriend, who happened to be your old best friend. it would sting like hell.

my point is that DDY has ALWAYS criticized the guys for not doing "all the hits" and what a shortchange that is for people coming to pay to see the shows. He has said those things insinuating that they should be playing those songs.......in fact, he claims the main reason you should see his show is because he gives you all the hits.

so when they turn around and add one of those hits that he has criticized them for ignoring then he acts like a baby about it, which is justified while also being hypocritical.......my point is that in that one Facebook post he delivered I can easily see that he is talking out of both sides of his mouth and is being just like the rest of them are on most of these subjects.

I just dont see what the big deal is that after 35 years JY and the guys have mellowed some and look at some older songs differently now and they want to play them. good for everyone, but DDY I guess.

and dont give me this shit that he does that they are "chasing the money"......please.....nobody even knew they were going to do roboto.....its' not like they advertise like he does.....they didn't put the new tour info out there and say <'come see styx this summer we're finally doing more DDY songs that we know you all want to hear" to help sell tickets.......lol...in reality it won't help sell shit either way. so for DDY to claim they are chasing the money is just a lash out stupid comment much in line with the stupid shit TS and JY have said over the years.

they are ALL very flawed people, like most of us. it's just an observation.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:24 am

It’s kind of funny to see Dennis say they’re following the money when he rarely ever plays deep Styx cuts or solo material aside from Desert Moon. If that’s not following the money, I don’t know what is.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:36 am

masque wrote:
my point is that DDY has ALWAYS criticized the guys for not doing "all the hits" and what a shortchange that is for people coming to pay to see the shows. He has said those things insinuating that they should be playing those songs.......in fact, he claims the main reason you should see his show is because he gives you all the hits.

I think you are exaggerating a bit here. Yes DDY has pointed out that they are ignoring hits and that he gives the fans all the hits. But I never heard him say they are short changing the fans. I think his point is that he sees no reason to ignore them.

masque wrote:I just dont see what the big deal is that after 35 years JY and the guys have mellowed some and look at some older songs differently now and they want to play them. good for everyone, but DDY I guess.

And yet it is significant when you are are talking about this particular song. They spent years telling everyone how they were against the Kilroy project and really didn't want anything to do with it. They spent years explaining that WHOLE project really didn't fit with what they thought Styx should be doing. They spent years with the stance of don't blame us for Roboto\Kilroy that was all Dennis. Heck it was the final straw that caused TS to leave the band. In a '09 TS red carpet interview the interviewer asked him about Mr. Roboto. To which you could literally see he wanted to get away from that subject as quickly as possible. He also told the interviewer "he still doesn't know what that whole thing was about". See it for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doj4utSbFD0

So after all the "hand wringing" about it over the years they add Roboto to their set list. That is clear hypocrisy. When you look back at their history the two main things that TS\JY clashed with DDY on was Babe and KWH.

masque wrote:and dont give me this shit that he does that they are "chasing the money"......please.....nobody even knew they were going to do roboto.....its' not like they advertise like he does.....they didn't put the new tour info out there and say <'come see styx this summer we're finally doing more DDY songs that we know you all want to hear" to help sell tickets.......lol...in reality it won't help sell shit either way. so for DDY to claim they are chasing the money is just a lash out stupid comment much in line with the stupid shit TS and JY have said over the years.

I think you are confusing me with the another poster in this forum.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:59 am

Archetype wrote:It’s kind of funny to see Dennis say they’re following the money when he rarely ever plays deep Styx cuts or solo material aside from Desert Moon. If that’s not following the money, I don’t know what is.

When doing concerts at this point in their careers they need to focus on what the general or casual fans want to hear. They don't want hear deep cuts they are not familiar with. As far as DDY's solo material, the only song that most people will recognize is DM. Pretty much all the other solo stuff would be considered obscure to the general public. But I don't think that is the main reason DDY doesn't play solo material. He made the decision to create a show that mimics what Styx used to do live. Which in my opinion was the right idea.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:19 pm

I love the fact that he finally gave Tommy and JY the middle finger. What a bunch of fuckwads.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Nah, he is just calling out the hypocritical bullshit that is Shaw and Young. FINALLY!

Tommy will have to do a whole lot of Coke to get over that ass whipping.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Archetype wrote:It’s kind of funny to see Dennis say they’re following the money when he rarely ever plays deep Styx cuts or solo material aside from Desert Moon. If that’s not following the money, I don’t know what is.

Nah, following the money is kicking out the leader of the band that made you rich and then using his songs to line your pockets. You're not real bright, are you?
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:23 pm

masque wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

I expect him to feel exactly how he does. It's like seeing your x-wife with a new boyfriend, who happened to be your old best friend. it would sting like hell.

so when they turn around and add one of those hits that he has criticized them for ignoring then he acts like a baby about it, which is justified while also being hypocritical.......my point is that in that one Facebook post he delivered I can easily see that he is talking out of both sides of his mouth and is being just like the rest of them are on most of these subjects.

I just dont see what the big deal is that after 35 years JY and the guys have mellowed some and look at some older songs differently now and they want to play them. good for everyone, but DDY I guess.

and dont give me this shit that he does that they are "chasing the money"......please.....nobody even knew they were going to do roboto.....its' not like they advertise like he does.....they didn't put the new tour info out there and say <'come see styx this summer we're finally doing more DDY songs that we know you all want to hear" to help sell tickets.......lol...in reality it won't help sell shit either way. so for DDY to claim they are chasing the money is just a lash out stupid comment much in line with the stupid shit TS and JY have said over the years.

they are ALL very flawed people, like most of us. it's just an observation.

Again, Tommy Shaw could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and Masque would still blow him. (Or do blow with him).
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Toph wrote:

Nah, following the money is kicking out the leader of the band that made you rich and then using his songs to line your pockets. You're not real bright, are you?

Alright Mr. insurance salesman.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:50 pm

Boomchild wrote:

When doing concerts at this point in their careers they need to focus on what the general or casual fans want to hear. They don't want hear deep cuts they are not familiar with. As far as DDY's solo material, the only song that most people will recognize is DM. Pretty much all the other solo stuff would be considered obscure to the general public. But I don't think that is the main reason DDY doesn't play solo material. He made the decision to create a show that mimics what Styx used to do live. Which in my opinion was the right idea.

Playing what general/casual fans want to hear is following the money. Both Dennis and Tommy/JY are doing it. There’s nothing wrong with following the money. We all do it. I’m just entertained by the fact that Dennis accused Tommy/JY of it like it’s a bad thing while he’s doing the exact same thing.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Archetype wrote:
Playing what general/casual fans want to hear is following the money. Both Dennis and Tommy/JY are doing it. There’s nothing wrong with following the money. We all do it. I’m just entertained by the fact that Dennis accused Tommy/JY of it like it’s a bad thing while he’s doing the exact same thing.

I think perhaps people are reading too much into what DDY said. Perhaps he is just taking a jab at them because they have always TRASHED the project and the song they have started to now play.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:34 pm

Toph wrote:
Again, Tommy Shaw could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and Masque would still blow him. (Or do blow with him).

No matter how much you disagree with another poster's position or opinion, this type of comment is just uncalled for.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:25 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:

I think perhaps people are reading too much into what DDY said. Perhaps he is just taking a jab at them because they have always TRASHED the project and the song they have started to now play.

I don’t think it ever would have been a problem if it didn’t turn into a whole big act where everyone had to dress up, say spoken lines, etc. The other guys hated Babe as well, but since it was just one song in the set, they spent four minutes playing it each night and moved on.

If the Kilroy Was Here tour was handled like any of their previous tours in which they just went out and played the music, it likely wouldn’t have been that big of a deal. It was all the acting and whatnot that pushed the rest of the band over the edge. Tommy and JY did trash the project as a whole. They thought it was idiotic to be playing in theaters and acting out parts when they could be playing music in arenas and stadiums.

They didn’t resurrect the whole project, acting and customes and all. They are playing one 5 minute song.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:18 am

Archetype wrote:
I don’t think it ever would have been a problem if it didn’t turn into a whole big act where everyone had to dress up, say spoken lines, etc. The other guys hated Babe as well, but since it was just one song in the set, they spent four minutes playing it each night and moved on.

If the Kilroy Was Here tour was handled like any of their previous tours in which they just went out and played the music, it likely wouldn’t have been that big of a deal. It was all the acting and whatnot that pushed the rest of the band over the edge. Tommy and JY did trash the project as a whole. They thought it was idiotic to be playing in theaters and acting out parts when they could be playing music in arenas and stadiums.

They didn’t resurrect the whole project, acting and customes and all. They are playing one 5 minute song.

Sure the stage theatrics had something to do with it. But they CLEARLY stated that they were against the project as WHOLE. That the musical direction (semi techno) it was taking the band wasn't something they wanted to do. That they struggled to even come up with material to fit the project. As pointed out in my comment above and the related link, TS to this day "Doesn't understand it". For Christ's sake are people forgetting it was the last straw for TS. He quit because the band wasn't doing what he wanted to do. The song they have chosen to play is the most techno sounding of the bunch. Sorry but this just seems like more spin to try and water down their hypocrisy.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:59 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:

Sure the stage theatrics had something to do with it. But they CLEARLY stated that they were against the project as WHOLE. That the musical direction (semi techno) it was taking the band wasn't something they wanted to do. That they struggled to even come up with material to fit the project. As pointed out in my comment above and the related link, TS to this day "Doesn't understand it". For Christ's sake are people forgetting it was the last straw for TS. He quit because the band wasn't doing what he wanted to do. The song they have chosen to play is the most techno sounding of the bunch. Sorry but this just seems like more spin to try and water down their hypocrisy.

I'm still trying to figure out why they put a song like Rockin' The Paradise as a show closer. At least they still put on a good show (I think) :)
StyxGuy
LP

Postby gr8dane » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:49 am

StyxGuy wrote:
gr8dane wrote:Where in TO are you StyxGuy. ??

I live down in Kitchener-Waterloo, but end up in Toronto for concerts as we don't get much here.

We've had Styx in Kitchener twice in 18 years. In 2000, where maybe 500 people showed up from what I recall, then in 2014 where they played an outdoor festival but it was only a 10 song set.

We did have one of the Gowan solo shows last year (sold out show, just over 700)

I've seen Dennis once, the next time he was supposed to play he cancelled due to having Shingles. Never got to see him over the years when he's come to the GTA unfortunately. I see he's playing the CNE bandshell in August and in Brampton in October!

Ah.Alright.
Lots of shows in Toronto.
Not seeing Styx this time around, unless last minute.
Dennis I may go and see ,as it's free with admission to the Ex.
I don't want to pay to see him ,so this is perfect.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:27 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:

The small venues, idiotic acting, stupid costumes and lost opportunities are what pushed the rest of the band over the edge. The song Mr. Roboto by itself did none of that.
Archetype
Stereo LP

PreviousNext

Return to Styx