The first time ever!

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: The first time ever!

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:05 am

Archetype wrote:The small venues, idiotic acting, stupid costumes and lost opportunities are what pushed the rest of the band over the edge. The song Mr. Roboto by itself did none of that.

So now you are trying to down play their objection to the concept as a WHOLE from the get go. Remember what TS said in the BTM episode? He said, "I just couldn't think about songs about robots". For 30+ plus years they have been denouncing the project as a WHOLE. That would include Mr. Roboto. No matter how you look at it they made it clear that THEY didn't think the WHOLE project, which includes the song Mr. Roboto was something that truly represented what Styx was about. In the BTM episode TS said "he was out" because "it wasn't fun for him anymore and they weren't doing the kind of MUSIC he wanted to do".

You know Toph may be right on one thing. That TS or JY could do something completely heinous and some would deny it and\or justify it over their complete admiration of them.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Tommy did have a hard time writing songs about Robots. Every writer is different. The band did hate the whole concept, but the individual song isn’t that big of a deal. Mr. Roboto has been part of the Styx medley they play live on occasion for years now. Your screeching about hypocrisy will only be relevant if the band revisits the Kilroy Was Here tour production in its entirety; costumes and all.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Archetype wrote:Tommy did have a hard time writing songs about Robots. Every writer is different. The band did hate the whole concept, but the individual song isn’t that big of a deal. Mr. Roboto has been part of the Styx medley they play live on occasion for years now. Your screeching about hypocrisy will only be relevant if the band revisits the Kilroy Was Here tour production in its entirety; costumes and all.

The problem with your position is that to the general public they don't remember it as "Kilroy Was Here". Mr. Roboto is all they know. It is the key to the whole thing. If they did some other song off that album you may have a point. But not when your talking about the main song that represents the whole project they didn't want to be doing AT ALL. Again, TS and JY made it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that they wanted NOTHING to do with ANYTHING associated with the project. It was mentioned here that they had to be pressured to include it in the medley you speak of. Go back to what TS said in BTM. He quit because the band was not doing THE KIND OF MUSIC HE WANTED TO DO. Now he wants to play it. That is what you call hypocrisy.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:44 pm

The reaction to this really cracks me up after the mountains of posts in this forum about how this version of Styx doesn't need to play Mr. Roboto, Best of Times, Show Me the Way etc. because the fans going to the shows aren't looking to hear that stuff. They want to hear the stuff pre Cornerstone for the most part. They want the straight ahead Rock n' Roll. The people that said they could not run away fast enough from the KWH thing now are like wow, great, they played Mr. Roboto.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:51 pm

Archetype wrote:Tommy did have a hard time writing songs about Robots. Every writer is different. The band did hate the whole concept, but the individual song isn’t that big of a deal. Mr. Roboto has been part of the Styx medley they play live on occasion for years now. Your screeching about hypocrisy will only be relevant if the band revisits the Kilroy Was Here tour production in its entirety; costumes and all.

“Styx to recreate the Kilroy Was Here tour in 2019 with full costumes!” Your mother was a Toyota!
Maybe not.
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:06 am

Boomchild wrote:The reaction to this really cracks me up after the mountains of posts in this forum about how this version of Styx doesn't need to play Mr. Roboto, Best of Times, Show Me the Way etc. because the fans going to the shows aren't looking to hear that stuff. They want to hear the stuff pre Cornerstone for the most part. They want the straight ahead Rock n' Roll. The people that said they could not run away fast enough from the KWH thing now are like wow, great, they played Mr. Roboto.

I’ve never said anything to that effect, and I have paid to see Dennis in concert 4 times since his departure from Styx. I enjoy the music. I enjoy all of their albums. I enjoy Kilroy Was Here overall. In fact the only song I don’t especially care for on it is Cold War. That said, the way they did the Kilroy Was Here tour was absolutely idiotic.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:42 am

Archetype wrote:I’ve never said anything to that effect, and I have paid to see Dennis in concert 4 times since his departure from Styx. I enjoy the music. I enjoy all of their albums. I enjoy Kilroy Was Here overall. In fact the only song I don’t especially care for on it is Cold War. That said, the way they did the Kilroy Was Here tour was absolutely idiotic.

I wasn't aiming this at you directly, hence I did not post the above in a direct reply to you. But the fact remains there have been several posters on here who stated what I paraphrased. I too have enjoyed all of the work of what has been come to be known as the "classic Styx line-up". As a teenager when KWH came out, I enjoyed the album. I liked the story line, artwork and the stage show that surrounded it. I guess I was one of the few that "got it". Sure now some of it seems a little hokey or cheesy but one's perspective of things is different as an adult then when you were a teen.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:35 am

Boomchild wrote:The reaction to this really cracks me up after the mountains of posts in this forum about how this version of Styx doesn't need to play Mr. Roboto, Best of Times, Show Me the Way etc. because the fans going to the shows aren't looking to hear that stuff. They want to hear the stuff pre Cornerstone for the most part. They want the straight ahead Rock n' Roll. The people that said they could not run away fast enough from the KWH thing now are like wow, great, they played Mr. Roboto.

What really cracks me up ,is when people anally micro analyze ,with mind numbing repetitiveness. 8)
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:55 am

gr8dane wrote:
StyxGuy wrote:
gr8dane wrote:Where in TO are you StyxGuy. ??

I live down in Kitchener-Waterloo, but end up in Toronto for concerts as we don't get much here.

We've had Styx in Kitchener twice in 18 years. In 2000, where maybe 500 people showed up from what I recall, then in 2014 where they played an outdoor festival but it was only a 10 song set.

We did have one of the Gowan solo shows last year (sold out show, just over 700)

I've seen Dennis once, the next time he was supposed to play he cancelled due to having Shingles. Never got to see him over the years when he's come to the GTA unfortunately. I see he's playing the CNE bandshell in August and in Brampton in October!

Ah.Alright.
Lots of shows in Toronto.
Not seeing Styx this time around, unless last minute.
Dennis I may go and see ,as it's free with admission to the Ex.
I don't want to pay to see him ,so this is perfect.

Don't bother going, asswipe. I doubt he wants your Tommy worshiping ass there anyway.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:57 am

Archetype wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:
I don’t think it ever would have been a problem if it didn’t turn into a whole big act where everyone had to dress up, say spoken lines, etc. The other guys hated Babe as well, but since it was just one song in the set, they spent four minutes playing it each night and moved on.

If the Kilroy Was Here tour was handled like any of their previous tours in which they just went out and played the music, it likely wouldn’t have been that big of a deal. It was all the acting and whatnot that pushed the rest of the band over the edge. Tommy and JY did trash the project as a whole. They thought it was idiotic to be playing in theaters and acting out parts when they could be playing music in arenas and stadiums.

They didn’t resurrect the whole project, acting and customes and all. They are playing one 5 minute song.

Sure the stage theatrics had something to do with it. But they CLEARLY stated that they were against the project as WHOLE. That the musical direction (semi techno) it was taking the band wasn't something they wanted to do. That they struggled to even come up with material to fit the project. As pointed out in my comment above and the related link, TS to this day "Doesn't understand it". For Christ's sake are people forgetting it was the last straw for TS. He quit because the band wasn't doing what he wanted to do. The song they have chosen to play is the most techno sounding of the bunch. Sorry but this just seems like more spin to try and water down their hypocrisy.

The small venues, idiotic acting, stupid costumes and lost opportunities are what pushed the rest of the band over the edge. The song Mr. Roboto by itself did none of that.

"I couldn't think of songs about robots" - Tommy Shaw
"Mr. Roboto was just not who we were" - Tommy Shaw
"Mr. Roboto really divided our fan base" - James Young
"I just had all these rock songs inside of me and I had to sing about robots." - Tommy Shaw
"We just don't really play anything after 1978 because that was when the band changed for the worse and we are going to focus on the 1975-1978 time period." - James "JY" Young

Go sell your bullshit somewhere else.
Last edited by Toph on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:58 am

Nope! They HATED ROBOTO. Open your goddamned eyes.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:59 am

gr8dane wrote:

What really cracks me up ,is when people anally micro analyze ,with mind numbing repetitiveness. 8)

What cracks me up is that some on here have their nose so far up Tommy Shaw's butt that they choose to excuse or ignore blatant hypocrisies and call out the side that are calling them out. You are such a waste of a human being.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby gr8dane » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:36 am

Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:

What cracks me up is that some on here have their nose so far up Tommy Shaw's butt that they choose to excuse or ignore blatant hypocrisies and call out the side that are calling them out. You are such a waste of a human being.

If we crack you up, how can we be a waste.?? :wink: :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:50 am

Toph wrote:
"I couldn't think of songs about robots" - Tommy Shaw
"Mr. Roboto was just not who we were" - Tommy Shaw
"Mr. Roboto really divided our fan base" - James Young
"I just had all these rock songs inside of me and I had to sing about robots." - Tommy Shaw
"We just don't really play anything after 1978 because that was when the band changed for the worse and we are going to focus on the 1975-1978 time period." - James "JY" Young

Go sell your bullshit somewhere else.

Let's not forget CP's comment about KWH in the BTM episode: "People were like "What the hell is this"".
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:09 am

I have ZERO respect for Chuck Panozzo. Two faced backstabber. Totally screwed DDY.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:28 am

Toph wrote:

Nope! They HATED ROBOTO. Open your goddamned eyes.

It really burns you up when other people go out and do what they want to do, doesn’t it?
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:31 am

The unsung hero in the addition of Mr. Roboto to the live set is Ricky. Man does he lay down some rock solid low end.
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:45 am

Mr Roboto dropped from the set! That was fast! Crystal Ball and Man in the Wilderness back in.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:50 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Mr Roboto dropped from the set! That was fast! Crystal Ball and Man in the Wilderness back in.

They got the attention\exposure bump they were looking for and now it's over. I could be wrong but we will see.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Boomchild wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:Mr Roboto dropped from the set! That was fast! Crystal Ball and Man in the Wilderness back in.

They got the attention\exposure bump they were looking for and now it's over. I could be wrong but we will see.

We’ll see if it stays out. It’s out for tonight’s show. It was still in on Thursday.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:09 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

We’ll see if it stays out. It’s out for tonight’s show. It was still in on Thursday.

CORRECTION!! Someone posted the Setlist from last year. Sorry for the Fake News! Mr Roboto lives!!!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Previous

Return to Styx