Re: Dennis interview on Mitch LaFon

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:26 am

Awesome! Thanks for the share :)

Hoping to see Dennis at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto this August
StyxGuy
LP

Postby LtVanish » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:07 am

Dennis seems to have gotten kinda upset over Styx playing Roboto, ever since they have started to play it he has gotten pretty defensive on everything that happened. This is one of the best interviews, mainly cause there seems to be no time limit, and he just lets Dennis keep talking.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:20 am

LtVanish wrote:Dennis seems to have gotten kinda upset over Styx playing Roboto, ever since they have started to play it he has gotten pretty defensive on everything that happened. This is one of the best interviews, mainly cause there seems to be no time limit, and he just lets Dennis keep talking.

20 years of animosity and hearing your former band mates talk about you poorly... And this interview has also brought to light what I had assumed for a long time, based on Dennis' "rants". Dennis follows them and keeps his ear to the ground about them. Either the facts he is presenting are complete falsehoods and he's lost it... or they have some truth to them ;)

Either way, a great interview... VERY interesting to hear him open up about post-Kilroy and the reunions, etc.. I think there was a little bit more detail than we've heard before.

Interesting that Dennis doesn't talk about how he was fired as one of the things that fractured the band.

honestly, I'm kind of walking away from this one thinking that Dennis doesn't give as fuck about being friends with his bandmates, just that they as a collective made some great music and should be the ones presenting it to the fans, anything else is not right... which he's got to understand the other guys don't want it like that... they want to be friends.
StyxGuy
LP

Postby yogi » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:45 pm

AWESOME interview. Dennis is soo great.

I do wish that Mitch would have asked him about the Mission album and what Dennis thought of it. Dennis was the concept guy and the others seemed to hate concept albums and then Tommy comes in and basically forces a concept album on the band now called Styx. Tommy's bandmates all jump at the chance to do a concept album. I love the album, but since its a concept album it defines the word hypocritical. It screams hypocrite.

I support both camps but like I have always said their was only one TRUE SUPERSTAR in the band and that TRUE SUPERSTAR without a doubt was Dennis.

In past New York Yankees baseball terms Dennis = Derek Jeter or Mariano Rivera, Tommy = Paul O'Neal or Andy Pettitte, JY = Chuck Knoblauch or Ramiro Mendoza and the others are the guys who surround those 3.

GREAT interview Mitch & Dennis!!

Thanks for posting!!!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:55 am

LtVanish wrote:Dennis seems to have gotten kinda upset over Styx playing Roboto, ever since they have started to play it he has gotten pretty defensive on everything that happened. This is one of the best interviews, mainly cause there seems to be no time limit, and he just lets Dennis keep talking.

I think DDY is just being more publicly open about what is positions have been on things. he clearly is pointing out their hypocrisy. DDY points out TS is finally admitting that he always liked Roboto. This after years of disparaging the song and the concept. DDY points out that in '97 that he stepped up to the plate to help out TS when TS had money issues. TS and JY repaid that by moving on without him.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:00 am

StyxGuy wrote:honestly, I'm kind of walking away from this one thinking that Dennis doesn't give as fuck about being friends with his bandmates, just that they as a collective made some great music and should be the ones presenting it to the fans, anything else is not right... which he's got to understand the other guys don't want it like that... they want to be friends.

DDY has stated that he hasn't held anything against them. That he likes them. Obviously, he hasn't been happy with some things they have done. One thing that rings true is that DDY has never tried to discredit them or the work they did together.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby LtVanish » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:39 am

Boomchild wrote:

I think DDY is just being more publicly open about what is positions have been on things. he clearly is pointing out their hypocrisy. DDY points out TS is finally admitting that he always liked Roboto. This after years of disparaging the song and the concept. DDY points out that in '97 that he stepped up to the plate to help out TS when TS had money issues. TS and JY repaid that by moving on without him.

Yes and I think there is more there on this. I think management knew Styx could be another band that could tour every year on these package tours, and the money that could be made, but also knowing Dennis would never go along with this kind of touring something had to be done. Tommy and JY wanted to make more money, probably cause they have never had as much as Dennis with the royalties.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:59 am

LtVanish wrote:
Yes and I think there is more there on this. I think management knew Styx could be another band that could tour every year on these package tours, and the money that could be made, but also knowing Dennis would never go along with this kind of touring something had to be done. Tommy and JY wanted to make more money, probably cause they have never had as much as Dennis with the royalties.

Dennis actually talked about this very subject in the interview. He noted that he has the numbers of the package tours Styx has been doing. Which would make sense since it has been mentioned that the settlement provided Dennis with a cut of the profits from Styx' live performances. What he said was the numbers aren't what people think they are and offered to detail that information with interviewer.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Boomchild wrote:
LtVanish wrote:

Dennis actually talked about this very subject in the interview. He noted that he has the numbers of the package tours Styx has been doing. Which would make sense since it has been mentioned that the settlement provided Dennis with a cut of the profits from Styx' live performances. What he said was the numbers aren't what people think they are and offered to detail that information with interviewer.

Guess for Styx,less is more. :wink: :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:41 am

gr8dane wrote:

Not really. Obviously with DDY no longer in the band TS and JY stand to make more money even if they still have to give him a cut of the profits. I'm sure it's not the same kind of percentage as if he was still an active member of the group. It's my contention that from the get go the ousting was really about control of the business and money.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:31 am

Boomchild wrote:
gr8dane wrote:

Not really. Obviously with DDY no longer in the band TS and JY stand to make more money even if they still have to give him a cut of the profits. I'm sure it's not the same kind of percentage as if he was still an active member of the group. It's my contention that from the get go the ousting was really about control of the business and money.

Less Dennis,more happiness.
Less Dennis,more freedom.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:21 pm

Boomchild wrote:
gr8dane wrote:

I could see them considering paying Dennis more money than if he had stayed in, just to get rid of the headache they had from dealing with him. (BTW - I'm not taking sides, just saying that it might have been worth to them it to pay him to go away).
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:11 am

I'm surprised that Styx isn't paying Dennis huge money to keep quiet.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Cassie May » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:29 am

Less Dennis, more opportunity to tour as long and as often as they want, which is what they love to do. Tommy has been a road dog since he was 19; JY also loves to travel and perform.

Not trying to stir up any shit here, but just musing aloud. It seems to me that for Dennis, it's more of an ego thing than anything else. Styx is "his" band, Styx is "these five guys," he "never imagined a time he wouldn't be in the band." Well, I would love to ask him if he would be willing to work the 110-120 shows Styx does per year. I believe he would not; even during their heyday, Styx played 80 shows per year and they had to be constructed in such a way that Dennis had multiple opportunities to be home. He doesn't like the travel; he doesn't like to be away from home much. There is nothing wrong with that, and I'm not faulting him for it. I just really wonder what he personally would gain by being back in the band. He would never agree to the schedule Styx plays now. Actually, Dennis has the perfect set-up for himself; he has a band of hand-picked musicians, he can play as many or as few shows as he wants, and he can play his songs that Styx won't touch. I think his ego just can't tolerate that he is no longer in the band, and that the band continues on as a popular touring act, with a passionate fan base, and they do it without him. I read part of this interview on Ultimate Classic Rock, and Dennis comes off as very bitter. It's been 19 years already; I hope that he's able to finally make peace with what happened in the past and get over it. From what they've said in interviews, Tommy and JY have and they're happier for it. Dennis needs to find his happy.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:56 am

Cassie May wrote:
Less Dennis, more opportunity to tour as long and as often as they want, which is what they love to do. Tommy has been a road dog since he was 19; JY also loves to travel and perform.

Not trying to stir up any shit here, but just musing aloud. It seems to me that for Dennis, it's more of an ego thing than anything else. Styx is "his" band, Styx is "these five guys," he "never imagined a time he wouldn't be in the band." Well, I would love to ask him if he would be willing to work the 110-120 shows Styx does per year. I believe he would not; even during their heyday, Styx played 80 shows per year and they had to be constructed in such a way that Dennis had multiple opportunities to be home. He doesn't like the travel; he doesn't like to be away from home much. There is nothing wrong with that, and I'm not faulting him for it. I just really wonder what he personally would gain by being back in the band. He would never agree to the schedule Styx plays now. Actually, Dennis has the perfect set-up for himself; he has a band of hand-picked musicians, he can play as many or as few shows as he wants, and he can play his songs that Styx won't touch. I think his ego just can't tolerate that he is no longer in the band, and that the band continues on as a popular touring act, with a passionate fan base, and they do it without him. I read part of this interview on Ultimate Classic Rock, and Dennis comes off as very bitter. It's been 19 years already; I hope that he's able to finally make peace with what happened in the past and get over it. From what they've said in interviews, Tommy and JY have and they're happier for it. Dennis needs to find his happy.

There's a lot of speculation in there. I doubt it's all ego. If you started a band and spent the majority of your working life building and nurturing it you would be upset having it ripped away from you. Especially after one member quits the band and the others want to continue on but you say "hey, people know the band as these guys and were going to wait and see if said person will return". Especially after you stretch your schedule to do a unplanned tour because said member needed money. After you do those things, there comes a time when you are sick and ask them to hold off for a few months and they just continue in without you. That is being a scumbag. Not to mention that at one point said member sold his stake in the business. As far as the DDY doesn't want to tour, it appears that statement has been exaggerated. Dennis has clearly pointed out that his position on touring. He has said you want to leave the fans wanting more. If you span it out, you can play bigger venues and make more money then the package tour grind. We all know what Dennis wants but if he would ask my opinion, I would tell him it's no longer worth it. You really don't need to be in the presence of people that would screw you like that. While DDY may have been difficult and demanding at times, at least the others benefited from it.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:23 am

Styx does seem to be experiencing a resurgence of sort. They’re the actual headlining act of their current summer tour, and it appears to be doing extremely well, attendance-wise. The Mission also received far more attention than Cyclorama or even Brave New World did. I suspect that Dennis is particularly irked by this.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby FormerDJMike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:55 am

FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby masque » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:45 am

yogi wrote:AWESOME interview. Dennis is soo great.

I do wish that Mitch would have asked him about the Mission album and what Dennis thought of it. Dennis was the concept guy and the others seemed to hate concept albums and then Tommy comes in and basically forces a concept album on the band now called Styx. Tommy's bandmates all jump at the chance to do a concept album. I love the album, but since its a concept album it defines the word hypocritical. It screams hypocrite.

I support both camps but like I have always said their was only one TRUE SUPERSTAR in the band and that TRUE SUPERSTAR without a doubt was Dennis.

In past New York Yankees baseball terms Dennis = Derek Jeter or Mariano Rivera, Tommy = Paul O'Neal or Andy Pettitte, JY = Chuck Knoblauch or Ramiro Mendoza and the others are the guys who surround those 3.

Thanks for posting!!!!!

couple of observations and opinions here;

#1 everything I read was that TS was far from "forcing" the concept on the rest of the band.....what I read was that he was very reluctant to even present it to the band.....but when he finally did they all willingly got on board with it.

#2 people keep throwing up the whole hypocrisy of TS wanting to do a concept album now after being so against them. keep in mind this, that TS himself says that the concept of TGI and POE were fine, but after the PT concept he was becoming very burned out and confined by it.....and when Kilroy came along it was the straw that broke the camel's back......that and cocaine. Obviously at some point in his career, he liked and enjoyed concepts. He became burned out and confined by them. So returning to a concept 35 years after your last attempt at a concept album seems reasonable and far from being hypocritical. LOTS of opinions, thoughts, feelings etc, change in 35 years. wouldnt you agree?
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby masque » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:49 am

Boomchild wrote:

just asking a polite question here.......when did TS ever publicly say he actually disliked the song Mr. Roboto? The only thing I remember hearing him say was by the time Kilroy came about he was totally burned on the idea of doing ANY concepts and couldn't think of songs about robots.

in all of the interviews I have seen with him or read from him over the years, the only thing I have ever heard him say was that songs like babe and first time was an area they didn't need to go into, the band was big enough already. did I miss something?
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby masque » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:50 am

I agree with the band's statement......I dont think there is any chance any promoters are asking them to add missing songs to their sets........and if they were, why wouldn't they ask for it be babe instead? their only #1 hit.

this is just turning into some grumpy old dudes getting grumpier as the days go by.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:59 am

Archetype wrote:Styx does seem to be experiencing a resurgence of sort. They’re the actual headlining act of their current summer tour, and it appears to be doing extremely well, attendance-wise. The Mission also received far more attention than Cyclorama or even Brave New World did. I suspect that Dennis is particularly irked by this.

The Mission is a really good album but do remember that Styx (Dennis in reality) had previously produced their own albums. The Mission took 2+ years to write and record with a producer hired on, thankfully that time and effort really did pay off :)

I couldn't stand Cyclorama, but I know others enjoyed it a bit. I really liked most of BNW, but Dennis was sick and recorded his parts in Chicago while Tommy and JY worked in LA. I think Tommy and JY produced their songs and Dennis did his, which I think is why the three are listed as producers instead of it just being Styx.

As for the tours, you might be surprised as to how many people they're actually playing to.... When I saw them in Toronto on July 4th they closed the lawns (7,000 Capacity) and played to about 80% full seats, which was about 7,200 people. In 2015 when it was Tesla, Styx and Def Leppard, the same venue was nearly sold out.
StyxGuy
LP

Postby StyxGuy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:02 am

masque wrote:

I agree with the band's statement......I dont think there is any chance any promoters are asking them to add missing songs to their sets........and if they were, why wouldn't they ask for it be babe instead? their only #1 hit.

this is just turning into some grumpy old dudes getting grumpier as the days go by.

In terms of Babe, they've been able to avoid it by saying "oh well that's a very personal song Dennis wrote for his wife's birthday, so we won't do it out of respect". There's a few old interviews you can find where the question about Babe is asked.
StyxGuy
LP

Postby yogi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:48 am

[quote="masque"][quote="yogi"]AWESOME interview. Dennis is soo great.

Thanks for posting!!!!![/quote]

couple of observations and opinions here;

#1 everything I read was that TS was far from "forcing" the concept on the rest of the band.....what I read was that he was very reluctant to even present it to the band.....but when he finally did they all willingly got on board with it.

#2 people keep throwing up the whole hypocrisy of TS wanting to do a concept album now after being so against them. keep in mind this, that TS himself says that the concept of TGI and POE were fine, but after the PT concept he was becoming very burned out and confined by it.....and when Kilroy came along it was the straw that broke the camel's back......that and cocaine. Obviously at some point in his career, he liked and enjoyed concepts. He became burned out and confined by them. So returning to a concept 35 years after your last attempt at a concept album seems reasonable and far from being hypocritical. LOTS of opinions, thoughts, feelings etc, change in 35 years. wouldnt you agree?[/quote]

Masque,

I do agree with most everything you say and I swear I have never taken sides, BUT two albums of new 'STYX' material since DDY was booted and one of these albums is a full fledged concept album does seem 100% hypocritical to me. " I just couldnt come up with any ideas about Robots' TS, 'All I wanna do is rock 'TS - ( Little Girl World, Lonely School- Count On You( If Barry Manilow sings Count On You it goes to #1)

I LOVE The Mission album I think its one of Styx's all time best. I love the concept, everything, BUT coming from Tommy & JY after what they said about Kilroy and concept albums being more or less forced down their throats by Dennis its the text book meaning of being a hypocrite. Since 1999 they have done 2 albums and ones a concept album.

Now they start playing Roboto in concert........Come on, give me a fuc. ing break.

Heres the REAL story: Tommy was high, Tommy didnt like the $$$$ being lost on the Kilroy tour, JY, Chuck & John also didnt like the $$$$ being lost on the Kilroy tour. Tommy thought he could be a HUGE solo artist. Dennis wasnt a TOTAL team guy he was more a TOP Player manager, who made the managerial decisions that some didnt care for ( Pete Rose). When Tommy changed teams Damn Yankees,Dennis Finally traded for a new player (Glen) and got his team back in the league with an above 500 record. Then the league changes rules ( grunge) and both Tommy's & DDY's new teams suffer (ALOT).Both teams fall way below .500.

The league reinstates the old rules( gunge starts to take a back seat) so Dennis( Pete Rose) gets the old team back together and they finish WAY WAY above .500 ( Styx Greatest Hits Lady, Return to Paradise album & Tour + Grand Illusion Tour). Then Dennis gets sick partly because he's also decided to play in a new co ed league ( Hunchback). Styx's Pro League is about to start and Dennis cant play because hes worn out from playing in two leagues. But, Tommy and JY together think they can now be Pete Rose (player and manager). Dennis is given his unconditional released and then shit on publicly by his former Pro team. With some of the biggest garbage being spewed stating the old teams hate of Dennis stems from him constantly putting restraints on the band with concept albums( KILROY WAS HERE & to a lesser degree Paradise Theater)), and playing a softer schedule(Babe, First Time, Dont Let it End).

Now the new team play's Kilroy's biggest song and the new team releases a concept album.

Why not just get in a room and let the apologizes flow all around.

They all screwed up over the years. As does everyone.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby masque » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:34 am

yogi.......totally props for the baseball analogy. hilarious, and I loved it......and honestly, probably alot of it is spot on.

and I 100% agree, they have all made alot of mistakes over the years, like we all have. as corny as it sounds, I'm just grateful for the music.

I've learned a long time ago not to worry too much about my heroes and what kind of people they are. most, if not all, march to a different drummer and when millions of dollars get placed on the table along with piles of drugs, you see alot of what is ugly about people and their relationships.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Cassie May » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:12 am

masque wrote:
just asking a polite question here.......when did TS ever publicly say he actually disliked the song Mr. Roboto? The only thing I remember hearing him say was by the time Kilroy came about he was totally burned on the idea of doing ANY concepts and couldn't think of songs about robots.

in all of the interviews I have seen with him or read from him over the years, the only thing I have ever heard him say was that songs like babe and first time was an area they didn't need to go into, the band was big enough already. did I miss something?

Yeah, I agree. In everything I've ever read and heard, I don't recall Tommy ever saying specifically that he hated Roboto. He didn't like the concept; he didn't like acting on stage; he (and others) didn't like all the cash going out and the lack of cash coming in from playing smaller venues.

I think they just avoided playing the song all these years because it brings back bad memories of an unhappy, chaotic time in their lives. It was Todd (who wasn't in the band in 83) who worked it into their Cyclomedley; it was Gowan (who also wasn't there then) who suggested years ago they add it to their set. I think that Tommy and JY finally felt that they were in a good enough place that they felt they could add it. Just my opinion, folks!

As for all the hubbub Dennis is stirring up, I have two thoughts: one, if he wants back in the band, this is not the way to do it; and two, has anyone asked any promoters if Dennis is correct, in that they asked the band to play it, or if Charlie is correct, in that promoters have not asked for it? Seems to me that would be the logical thing to do.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Another reason they may have not wanted to play it all those years could be because they really had nothing to do with the song. It was written by Dennis and recorded by Him and the Ponozzo Bros. They don’t play Babe and had more to do with it which was only just lead solo.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby masque » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:55 pm

to me I have never really felt that omitting;

babe
dont let it end
show me the way
roboto

ever really hurt them with their concert crowds, attendance or audience expectations........however, I do think that omitting

the best of times

is a song that I think is quintessential styx and should have always been a part of their setlist. However, I heard gowan sing it on the BNW tour and the song doesnt fit his voice very well......he didn't pull that one off as well as the other DDY songs.

but as a fan, not hearing BOT is a bummer. I think it's easily in the top 10 styx songs ever and maybe even top 5.

In fact, if a new listener walked up and said "who is styx and what kind of music do they do?" and I had to play them five song to show them what is styx here is what it would be today;

come sail away
renegade
great white hope
the best of times
fooling yourself
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:21 am

I'd FOR SURE put Suite Madame Blue in your above mix.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby yogi » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:24 am

My 5 songs describing Styx would be:
1. Lady
2. Renegade
3. The Best Of Times
4. Suite Madame Blue
5. Come Sail Away
yogi
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Styx