Tommy Shaw/Sammy Hagar question

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Tommy Shaw/Sammy Hagar question

Postby BRETT5150 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:01 am

In “The Van Halen Encyclopedia” by C.H Chilvers, it’s said that the line up for Sammys band at the Bay Area ‘94 awards was David Lauser, Drums. Michael Anthony, Bass and Tommy Shaw, Lead guitar. They played apparently 7 songs, but there’s no evidence elsewhere. The closest I’ve gotten as far as info on the gig is that Starships (then) guitarist played with him, and Neil Young guested at the end. Does anyone else know more about this gig?
What is understood need not be discussed
BRETT5150
Ol' 78

Re: Tommy Shaw/Sammy Hagar question

Postby StyxGuy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:40 am

Getty Images has photos from the Bay Area Music Awards in 1994... but the only Sammy Hagar photos are just of him :(

Apparently the played only 6 songs, the band was called Tres Guzanos and Neil Young played the final song (Down by the River) with them.

An article from Variety doesn't mention Tommy...

https://variety.com/1994/music/news/isa ... es-118980/

The headlining entertainment for the event was Sammy Hagar (who also won the male vocal trophy), and his Van Halen offshoot Tres Guzanos, which featured Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony. Tres Guzanos’ set included a pair of new Hagar songs, as well as chestnuts like “Three Lock Box,””Red” and “One Way to Rock.” Hagar was joined onstage by Bay Area Musician of the Year Neil Young for a feedback-drenched “Down by the River.”
StyxGuy
Ol' 78

Postby BRETT5150 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:37 am

That’s what I’ve read so far too.
What is understood need not be discussed
BRETT5150
Ol' 78

Postby yogi » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:07 am

I thought that I read or saw somewhere before Styx got back together for The Return to Paradise album, tour, and re record of Lady and after Damn Yankees called it a night Tommy was going to hook up with Sammy Hagar.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Return to Styx