First Mr. Roboto, now......

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

First Mr. Roboto, now......

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri May 24, 2024 12:14 pm

In these times of shameless hypocrisy this makes total sense.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq9TlMcs7Lk
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Re: First Mr. Roboto, now......

Postby yogi » Sat May 25, 2024 7:38 am

Damn that sounded GREAT! It really did.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby StyxGuy » Mon May 27, 2024 3:11 am

Todd disclosed at one of his drum clinics that they put the song in the setlist because it did well on the charts here in Canada. I suspect because some of the places they played on the tour haven't seen them in 10+ years, they wanted to give the fans a treat. Wish I'd been there!
StyxGuy
LP

Postby Jodes » Tue May 28, 2024 3:28 am

I wonder what Todd's response is going to be when he hears what DDY had to say about him (while of course taking a jab at JY). I guess Todd playing "Nothing Ever Goes As Planned" with a few other people merited a response. The whole "I wonder what he's up to now, I'll have to look him up" really left a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. Dennis still has his "people" inside the Styx camp (he's mentioned it in the past) so why even bring it up?

What really gets to me is the people with the knives out for Todd. I guess they aren't working musicians.
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue May 28, 2024 11:29 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:In these times of shameless hypocrisy this makes total sense.....

Love it! they sound great! Thanks for posting Suite. Has DDY made his retirement official yet?
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Wed May 29, 2024 1:54 am

Jodes wrote:I wonder what Todd's response is going to be when he hears what DDY had to say about him (while of course taking a jab at JY). I guess Todd playing "Nothing Ever Goes As Planned" with a few other people merited a response. The whole "I wonder what he's up to now, I'll have to look him up" really left a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. Dennis still has his "people" inside the Styx camp (he's mentioned it in the past) so why even bring it up?

What really gets to me is the people with the knives out for Todd. I guess they aren't working musicians.

I didn’t interpret that as a slight against Todd at all. It was just a reference to the fact that Todd has been the drummer for Styx for 28 years now and it’s because Dennis fought other band members to get him the gig.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed May 29, 2024 3:35 am

Archetype wrote:
Jodes wrote:I wonder what Todd's response is going to be when he hears what DDY had to say about him (while of course taking a jab at JY). I guess Todd playing "Nothing Ever Goes As Planned" with a few other people merited a response. The whole "I wonder what he's up to now, I'll have to look him up" really left a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. Dennis still has his "people" inside the Styx camp (he's mentioned it in the past) so why even bring it up?

I didn’t interpret that as a slight against Todd at all. It was just a reference to the fact that Todd has been the drummer for Styx for 28 years now and it’s because Dennis fought other band members to get him the gig.

Yes, that has been Dennis' story for years now. But, has Todd, or anybody else in Styx, really commented on how he was hired? He is also Tommy's drummer on 7DZ. The way Dennis tells the story makes it sound like he is a hero for bringing in Todd against everybody else. It seems to me that Todd and Tommy also had some instant karma going on so I would like to hear the story from another perspective.
Monker
MP3

Postby Archetype » Wed May 29, 2024 5:28 am

Monker wrote:
Archetype wrote:

Yes, that has been Dennis' story for years now. But, has Todd, or anybody else in Styx, really commented on how he was hired? He is also Tommy's drummer on 7DZ. The way Dennis tells the story makes it sound like he is a hero for bringing in Todd against everybody else. It seems to me that Todd and Tommy also had some instant karma going on so I would like to hear the story from another perspective.

I really doubt that Todd would comment on it. Just not his personality at all. Whether the story is exactly as Dennis tells it or not, I don’t think the “I wonder what he’s up to now” remark was intended at all to be a jab against Todd. Just Dennis’ quirky humor.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby StyxGuy » Wed May 29, 2024 6:39 am

Monker wrote:
Archetype wrote:

https://www.drumeo.com/beat/todd-sucher ... ight-turn/
StyxGuy
LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Wed May 29, 2024 12:03 pm

Todd was hired after his performance on Lady 95. Tommy was not at the sessions. Dennis made the decision and never told Todd about JY’s feelings for obvious reasons. He didn’t want any negatives with Todd and JY. Tommy hired Todd for 7 Deadly Zens after playing the 1996 RTP tour and also recognized Todd’s talent. It was Dennis' decision and a great one.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Wed May 29, 2024 11:34 pm

It was a GREAT one! Mike Portnoy & Todd Sucherman are the two greatest drummers I’ve ever seen.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Thu May 30, 2024 12:43 am

That is an interesting read. It is almost like he avoids mentioning individual band members. But, to me it reads like he was contracted to touring after Lady '95 and then again after John's death. He's not a "member" of the band and part owner of the LLC. He never says, "I was offered to become a member of the band..." It reads more like a band decision that could have been voted down if Tommy, Chuck, and JY had issues with him. It also sounds like it was JY and whoever the tour manager was to actually offer him the contract to tour with them, not Dennis...according to Todd. Dennis probably made the case for him behind the scenes and everybody else went along with it because he was such a good fit.
Monker
MP3

Postby LtVanish » Fri May 31, 2024 10:44 am

Styx is going soft rock! I hear they will be on the Air Supply Cruise of the Carribean next year so they will most certainly dust off 'First Time' and "Yes I Can"

I have a feeling the new album coming out Styx will reveal will be another covers album this time with a Yacht Rock Theme to it.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:50 am

LtVanish wrote:Styx is going soft rock! I hear they will be on the Air Supply Cruise of the Carribean next year so they will most certainly dust off 'First Time' and "Yes I Can"

I wouldn't mind that at all. For a chick band, Air Supply is pretty awesome. "First Time" is one of the worst songs Styx has recorded...but I absolutely would like to hear "Yes I Can".

I have a feeling the new album coming out Styx will reveal will be another covers album this time with a Yacht Rock Theme to it.

I was actually thinking about another covers album. I was diving into "The Kinks" on YouTube and there are some songs that definitely fit the Styx sound. This sounds a lot like "Too Much Time", that bass line is too familiar. Their stage antics even remind me a bit of Styx once in a while. Ray Davies voice kinda sucks at times but I can definitely hear Tommy and Styx doing this song:

https://youtu.be/Nvsbk4P3NQ0?si=X3SuYXnI6pqsvNM1
Monker
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:59 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:In these times of shameless hypocrisy this makes total sense.....

Looks like The Best Of Times will be in the set all summer according to Tommy. He mentioned what a brilliant song DDY wrote when talking about it in a recent interview.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2024/06/classic-rock-legend-tommy-shaw-talks-50-years-of-styx-dennis-deyoung-rift-rock-hall-snub-more.html?outputType=amp&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1PmbGY4MMgAzPC-4Apdr4FtSVFeB4MD8O_eFiM9SGu9z0x7jPinUsi_4c_aem_AfjTJqkFWeaDEphwI5WmwGtunYnDJdk5_4fAceA3mGSWF-LMSKD41Q89f6g4EJF4wa54M4iE0MedRsCVb4shYeqC
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx