Reach demo

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Reach demo

Postby PianoMan1986 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Just by chance I came across this tonight -- Robin McCauley - Reach (demo)

https://youtu.be/SxYXVQmmnvE
PianoMan1986
LP

Re: Reach demo

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:06 am

I haven't listened to it yet. But I suspect that it is probably a version that I heard years ago? A number of years ago if you went on a certain website that I think might have been Survivor's booking agency page, they had posted 3 different Survivor songs with McCauley on lead vocals that were originally done with either Bickler or Jamison on lead vocals. I think that the 3 songs were "Eye Of The Tiger" "Fire Makes Steel" and "Reach?"

I think that all that they did was have McCauley record new vocals and then placed it over top of the original recordings?

Nevertheless, thank you for posting the link to it one way or another!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Lucky.Phil » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:21 pm

That's actually pretty good, much better than I expected anyway. Once you get over the shock of the first line or two without Jimi singing it's really good. Did Robin only record three songs with Survivor?
Cold Chisel | Survivor | Dire Straits | Journey | Bob Seger | Amy Macdonald | The Script | Asia | Lynyrd Skynyrd | Dream Disciples | Peter Green | Rose Tattoo | The Angels | Paul Rodgers | Dio | John Fogerty | Dion Dimucci | Paradise Lost | Jimmy Barnes
Lucky.Phil
Radio Waves

Postby Mikele » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:19 pm

He re-recorded vocals on top of those 3 songs: Reach, Fire Makes Steel, Eye of the Tiger. They can be found on the bootleg "Ultimate Rarities".

Then, there must be the infamous demos of the "new album" recorded with him on vocals, titled "Re-entry" and tentatively scheduled for a 2010 release. A single was announced for internet download, but never released nor surfaced to these days.
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby PianoMan1986 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Obviously a rock voice versus one with more soul leanings, but watching some of the live footage for his time with the band, I thought I he sounded decent and made the songs his own once in a comfort zone. Just my opinion of course having not been to any of the shows.
PianoMan1986
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:12 am

PianoMan1986 wrote:Obviously a rock voice versus one with more soul leanings, but watching some of the live footage for his time with the band, I thought I he sounded decent and made the songs his own once in a comfort zone. Just my opinion of course having not been to any of the shows.

I saw them twice with RM as the singer. I thought that he was decent the first show, and he was much better the second time which was a couple of years after the first time that I saw them with him on vocals.

Obviously RM wasn't the most ideal fit for the band like Bickler and Jamison were. But I thought he did a decent job overall.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:31 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
PianoMan1986 wrote:Obviously a rock voice versus one with more soul leanings, but watching some of the live footage for his time with the band, I thought I he sounded decent and made the songs his own once in a comfort zone. Just my opinion of course having not been to any of the shows.

I saw them twice with RM as the singer. I thought that he was decent the first show, and he was much better the second time which was a couple of years after the first time that I saw them with him on vocals.

Obviously RM wasn't the most ideal fit for the band like Bickler and Jamison were. But I thought he did a decent job overall.

The band Robin was in was indeed stronger than the current one. It was more credible. I agree he did a good job there, performing as a real frontman for a band with legendary status.
Meanwhile, Night Ranger is about to release their new record...sadly for us fans Survivor is the only band of their time to voluntary drown out of the radar...massive disappointment
Mikele
45 RPM

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)