Summer Dates 2014

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Summer Dates 2014

Postby Mikele » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:44 am

You can check out this video-interview to Frankie.
http://survivorband.com/check-interview ... as-gordon/

Among the highlights:
1) Marc is facing unspecified private issues, but he is not left behind;
2) Focus is on touring right now. No recordings is being done at present, but this may change in the fall.
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:27 am

I see that the band cancelled the shows for September and October. Which I can understand.

However. I hope that they don't just call it quits just yet. I know it's a pipe-dream, but I'd still love for them to release one last album.

If for some reason Dave can't handle a full-nights-set by himself, then maybe they could add someone like Joe Vana along side Dave?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:02 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:I see that the band cancelled the shows for September and October. Which I can understand.

However. I hope that they don't just call it quits just yet. I know it's a pipe-dream, but I'd still love for them to release one last album.

If for some reason Dave can't handle a full-nights-set by himself, then maybe they could add someone like Joe Vana along side Dave?

Dan (Saint John) suggested an excellent one in a text to me after Jamison news broke: get Jim P. back in the fold and have Jim bring Toby Hitchcock along for the ride. Toby would not only carry Dave on the higher stuff, but he'd also be a great vocalist to record new material with alongside Dave.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:10 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:I see that the band cancelled the shows for September and October. Which I can understand.

Dan (Saint John) suggested an excellent one in a text to me after Jamison news broke: get Jim P. back in the fold and have Jim bring Toby Hitchcock along for the ride. Toby would not only carry Dave on the higher stuff, but he'd also be a great vocalist to record new material with alongside Dave.

I thought the exact same thing myself. But Peterik would have to be back for Hitchcock to be in Survivor. I figured that Vana might work with or without Peterik.

I'd love for Peterik to be back in Survivor one way or another.

I see no reason why Sullivan and Peterik can't put their ego's aside long enough to at minimum write and record one new song in honor of Jimi?!?!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby BARON BLOOD » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:12 pm

Oh no !......I would call it quit !......and if Sullivan wants to tour a little with Bickler I can live with that since they are 2 originals but that's it........I would not release anything new unless they decide to release a compilation of unreleased tracks featuring both singers but I don't think there's much left to do for Survivor.....with DROUBAY and JAMISON + PETERIK out of the picture .....I say that's it !......the heart and soul is gone........
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby RockInDetroit » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:48 pm

If Bickler is the singer I see no reason why they can not continue, many bands losing singers were in worse situations. Survivor is fortunate to have two singers during their history. And their voices were not that different (not like Hagar/Roth). Also, from what I heard Marc may come back. As we get older folks, there are going to be more bands losing members they go on sometimes with only one original. Would be perfectly fine with a Sullivan/Bickler combo.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:47 am

RockInDetroit wrote:If Bickler is the singer I see no reason why they can not continue, many bands losing singers were in worse situations. Survivor is fortunate to have two singers during their history. And their voices were not that different (not like Hagar/Roth). Also, from what I heard Marc may come back. As we get older folks, there are going to be more bands losing members they go on sometimes with only one original. Would be perfectly fine with a Sullivan/Bickler combo.

Jimi is my favorite singer of all time, and his death is a MAJOR loss not only as a good man, but also musically. But Dave is another of my favorite singers, and he was the original vocalist, and sang their biggest hit of all. I think it's perfectly fine to continue on with Dave as either the lone lead vocalist, or co-lead-vocalist.

So even if it was only Dave and Frankie, I'd still be glad to have a new album with them. But needless to say, it would be a MUCH, MUCH BETTER album if Peterik, Droubay and Ellis were also part of it!!!

Jimi's death is another sad reminder that all of the Survivor members past and present are getting older, and their music careers are winding down.

If they have any intentions of making one last great Survivor album, the time is now :!: Or it will be too late in the near future.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby BARON BLOOD » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:13 am

yeah ONE LAST GREAT ALBUM.......that's exactly what I don't believe in.....without Jamison........and without Peterik.......and maybe Droubay.

Sure band members will die and bands should also die too........as we will die also.......sometimes you gotta let go......even what used to be fantastic......and simply accept it..................ok I'll stop right here before I start sounding like Sullivan :-)
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:24 am

BARON BLOOD wrote:yeah ONE LAST GREAT ALBUM.......that's exactly what I don't believe in.....without Jamison........and without Peterik.......and maybe Droubay.

Sure band members will die and bands should also die too........as we will die also.......sometimes you gotta let go......even what used to be fantastic......and simply accept it.

I think that if Peterik and Droubay were part of it besides Bickler and Sullivan, that it would be great. But it would be vitally important that Peterik co-write all of the songs with Sullivan.

A line-up of....

Bickler
Sullivan
Peterik
Droubay
Ellis

Would be awesome to have again!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:26 am

BARON BLOOD wrote:ok I'll stop right here before I start sounding like Sullivan :-)

:lol:
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby BARON BLOOD » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:53 am

I'll only agree only if Peterik is co-writing and Droubay plays the drums...... :-)
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby Mikele » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:05 pm

Dear all,
I've stopped posting in this thread as soon as JJ died. I've started it to honor the activity of the band and to celebrate the 2-original singers approach, exactly like in 2013, which has been amazing. As I already said earlier, the dream has died with Jimi's death.

To be honest with you, I don't see the point in bringing in any other singer (Toby pales in comparisons with the 2 legends), and honestly, I don't see how Survivor right now could maintain the momentum built in the last few years by Dave-Jimi on a single stage. Sure, Dave alone would be just enough for me and for many of us...but it might not be enough and we all know it full well.

Thanks Jimi for the amazing return in Survivor
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby BARON BLOOD » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:02 pm

AMEN !.....(exactly how I feel)
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby DavidWT » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:45 pm

I wonder if Robin McCauley is feeling completely left out from all these discussions.
DavidWT
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:51 am

As I've stated on this forum a million times, Jimi is my #1 favorite lead vocalist of all time. His death is a massive loss in terms of both being a great guy and a great singer.

Due to the fact that Dave is also in my top 5 to top 10 as a singer, and he is the original lead vocalist, I have no problem with Survivor continuing on with him as either the lone lead vocalist, or co-lead-vocalist.

If they were to record a new album at this point, I would hope that it would be strictly with Dave as the lead singer. Maybe Dave can handle a full show on a regular basis? And if he can, that's awesome. But if it would be too much strain on him, then I'd be OK with Joe Vana, Toby Hitchcock, or some other good singer sharing vocals on a tour.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:00 am

I have to wonder if there is at least a demo or two that they may have recorded with Jimi that could be put onto a new album, if they actually were to release a new album?

Like I mentioned though, a new album from Survivor seems like nothing more than a pipe-dream. I can't picture Frankie being motivated enough to record a new album. And he seems to be too concerned with money. There are a ton of bands and solo artists out there that sell even less copies of their CD's than Survivor would at this time, that still release new albums on a fairly regular basis. I guess they're not as driven by money as Frankie? They do it for the artistry.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby RockInDetroit » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:40 am

What happened with Jimi illustrates why bands need to video record their concerts more frequently. What DVDs are out there of Survivor? It would have been so nice to have on DVD a show with both singers, Frankie and even Marc. Fans will now never have that.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:20 am

RockInDetroit wrote:What happened with Jimi illustrates why bands need to video record their concerts more frequently. What DVDs are out there of Survivor? It would have been so nice to have on DVD a show with both singers, Frankie and even Marc. Fans will now never have that.

Yeah. Survivor did a few concert videos back in the 1980's, but I don't know of any since the 80's?

The bands of the 70's and 80's need to realize that they're getting old, members may sadly die or decide to retire. If they want to record one last album, or make one last concert video, live album, etc, etc, they need to do it ASAP!!!!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Rip Rokken » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:16 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:Any more word on Marc Droubay?

Ran across this thread and thought I'd chip in. Just saw Marc Droubay play at the Rock -n- Beale All-Star Tribute to Jimi Jamison this past Sunday, and it was my first time seeing him perform. I was incredibly impressed, as were the rest of the musicians that were first-timers sharing a stage with him. They did an excellent extended jam of "Eye of the Tiger" with Jim Peterik, Kevin Chalfant, Kelly Keagy and Todd Poole sharing vocals. Marc also backed Kevin Chalfant during his set of Journey/The Storm songs, and was also spot-on. Amazing drummer. Later, I commented to a friend playing with them how amazed I was at the rendition of EOTT and how tight they were, and wondered how long they had to practice that. He told me to my amazement... that was the first time they'd played with Droubay period -- they just went onstage and winged it, and dude just nailed everything. A true professional. All of them were and knew how to subtly signal each other on what to do next. That's what really makes the difference. :)

I'd met Marc a little earlier that night and chatted briefly with him, so I know the answer to the big question. I'm going to leave that private. No explanation, no inside info, nothing to speculate about... just a pretty clear answer. All I want to say is, he needs to be out in front of people playing again. The guy is a real, real talent. :)
Rip Rokken
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:27 pm

Rip Rokken wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:Any more word on Marc Droubay?

Ran across this thread and thought I'd chip in. Just saw Marc Droubay play at the Rock -n- Beale All-Star Tribute to Jimi Jamison this past Sunday, and it was my first time seeing him perform. I was incredibly impressed, as were the rest of the musicians that were first-timers sharing a stage with him. They did an excellent extended jam of "Eye of the Tiger" with Jim Peterik, Kevin Chalfant, Kelly Keagy and Todd Poole sharing vocals. Marc also backed Kevin Chalfant during his set of Journey/The Storm songs, and was also spot-on. Amazing drummer. Later, I commented to a friend playing with them how amazed I was at the rendition of EOTT and how tight they were, and wondered how long they had to practice that. He told me to my amazement... that was the first time they'd played with Droubay period -- they just went onstage and winged it, and dude just nailed everything. A true professional. All of them were and knew how to subtly signal each other on what to do next. That's what really makes the difference. :)

I'd met Marc a little earlier that night and chatted briefly with him, so I know the answer to the big question. I'm going to leave that private. No explanation, no inside info, nothing to speculate about... just a pretty clear answer. All I want to say is, he needs to be out in front of people playing again. The guy is a real, real talent. :)

Marc is one of the most underrated Rock drummers. Survivor will be missing a lot without him in the band.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby BARON BLOOD » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:23 pm

Survivor is over.........Droubay is AWESOME !......sometimes it's not how fast or how much technique that makes you great......it's just something else....it just happens.....and with Droubay it happens.
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Previous

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)