Finally: Jim Peterik Biography

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Finally: Jim Peterik Biography

Postby def » Fri May 16, 2014 7:06 pm

Just found this on german amazon

http://www.amazon.de/Through-Eye-Tiger- ... k+survivor

Does anyone know, whether the will be a hardcover edition?
def
Ol' 78

Re: Finally: Jim Peterik Biography

Postby Andrew » Mon May 19, 2014 11:32 am

It's a great read!

Thoroughly enjoyable.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Mikele » Mon May 19, 2014 10:43 pm

Is that what Frankie was referring to when he said "the truth will be revealed"? :?:
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Andrew » Tue May 20, 2014 10:13 am

Book gives a good insight into the whole clash of personalities...
Andrew
Administrator

Postby MarcelJordan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:22 pm

Why does everything have to start with Eye of The Tiger? :P

MJ
2011 New Album by Survivor - RE-ENTRY!
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby mrsromek » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:51 am

US release in Sept, I think...?
mrsromek
45 RPM

Postby bomes » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:31 am

bomes
45 RPM

Postby BARON BLOOD » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Wow Great stuff !......in the 3rd instalment of these Peterik interviews he even explains why he left Survivor in 96 and I had never had of that story before.......finally the real things are coming out !..........it's always funny how Peterik and Sullivan don't seem to have the same stories......each taking the credit on different issues and me believing Peterik more all the time...hahaha......
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:05 pm

I just got my copy of Jim's book today. I just started reading it. I'll probably share some of my opinions on it over time. Not that anyone asked. :P :lol:
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby BARON BLOOD » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:08 pm

It's a great read !.....leaves you begging for even more.......
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:00 am

BARON BLOOD wrote:It's a great read !.....leaves you begging for even more.......

Yes, I've enjoyed it so far. I'm sure that I will continue to like it all of the way through. I read the first few chapters, and then I was dying to get to the Survivor years, so I skipped ahead. I'll go back and read the entire book, though. I also look forward to reading the parts about The Ides Of March.

I just got my Rock Candy reissue of the Cobra First Strike CD. I already had the original CD of the album, but I wanted the remaster and the booklet that comes with it, so I finally bought it. So, I also read the booklet for it last night. It's interesting as well.

I really wish that Rock Candy would get the rights to the Target albums!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby bulldog » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:35 am

Really liked the book as well . The Survivor years were a great read . This band should have been bigger . Great that they hit big when they did but when Jimi left I think in The USA music had already started changing as far as chart success etc. What I wish would have happened is Jimi and Jim should have broken off together much much sooner.

I think a band has a whole they should have given Jimi more song-writing credit. He brought the band back to life and radio loved his voice. If he was as important as they say he was he should have been paid better or given more credits. Without Jimi would they have survived post Caught In The Game ? What if Jimi never joined the band ? Would Jimi have landed a bigger gig or would he been given a better opportunity somewhere else ? This really makes me want more information . I really enjoyed the read .

I really love the comments about the sound . The Vital Signs - When Seconds Count cds sold well compared to anything else they ever did except for the Eye Of The Tiger single .
bulldog
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:34 am

Actually, the EOTT album was their biggest selling album, and Vital Signs was second. Granted, the EOTT album was their biggest seller because of the massive success of the song EOTT. Although American Heartbeat and The One That Really Matters charted too. American Heartbeat peaked at #17 in America, and TOTRM peaked at #74 in America.

And the WSC album was their third best selling album.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Slander » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:15 am

Let's not forget it's the sound of Premonition that caught the EYE of Sly Stallone. If it weren't for that gritty street sound, there would not have been a Vital Signs, WSC, etc. So let's not be so fast to dismiss the bands earlier efforts. Premonition flat out cooks!
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:20 pm

I'm loving reading Jim's book. It's very interesting. Especially the Survivor chapters. It's difficult to put it down.

I'm sure that Jim would not appreciate anyone listing too much of what he says in the book on the internet. But I look forward to some discussions on here after more of you read the book.

I highly recommend the book to any big Survivor fan. And it's cheap in price compared to most books these days.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:27 am

I'm about 60% of the way through and am loving it so far. It's really refreshing to read a music biography that goes more into the artist's formative years becoming a good musician/songwriter and focuses a lot more on the music and band issues rather than the typical sex and drug excesses. One of my favorite reads ever so far.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:52 pm

I'm disappointed that Jim didn't go into more detail about the Crossroads Moment CD.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:37 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:I'm disappointed that Jim didn't go into more detail about the Crossroads Moment CD.

At least he mentioned it. I'm shocked that he didn't talk about his excellent solo CD "Above the Storm" at all. Not even a reference to recording it, let alone some insight on the songs. Still a very good read. Would love to hear Frankie's side of things one day. Survivor was truly a great band. I stand by my claim that pound for pound, their catalog is better than Journey's or Foreigner's.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby BARON BLOOD » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:18 pm

I said the same thing about the CROSSROADS MOMENTS CD......I would like to know MORE......but hey !.........I'll take what we got over nothing.
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:59 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:I'm disappointed that Jim didn't go into more detail about the Crossroads Moment CD.

At least he mentioned it. I'm shocked that he didn't talk about his excellent solo CD "Above the Storm" at all. Not even a reference to recording it, let alone some insight on the songs. Still a very good read. Would love to hear Frankie's side of things one day. Survivor was truly a great band. I stand by my claim that pound for pound, their catalog is better than Journey's or Foreigner's.

Those are my big 3 bands. I agree though, that Survivor have had less "filler," if any, than Journey and Foreigner.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:04 am

There are a number of things that I wish he had gone into more detail about. Besides a lot more Survivor topics, I wish he had also talked more about how he wrote songs for "Chase" and "Mariah" and "Deep Purple" and other bands.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:26 am

What a great read! I'm getting through the 'Vital Sign' era right now. Would love to discuss some points here with you guys when I'm done
It's an enormous pleasure to finally have something in hand. For me, it's like having a new record
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:28 am

Mikele wrote:What a great read! I'm getting through the 'Vital Sign' era right now. Would love to discuss some points here with you guys when I'm done
It's an enormous pleasure to finally have something in hand. For me, it's like having a new record

Yes. It was a great read. I think I'm going to give it a second read soon, just to help me retain everything.

Sullivan :roll:
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:00 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Mikele wrote:What a great read! I'm getting through the 'Vital Sign' era right now. Would love to discuss some points here with you guys when I'm done

Yes. It was a great read. I think I'm going to give it a second read soon, just to help me retain everything.

Sullivan :roll:

Ahhah yep, there's lots of info there, you're right!

If you already didn't, and have a chance, also check out Jim's notes in the Rock Candy remasters of the catalog. There are some gems there too..
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Joe Vana » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:03 pm

I don't have the book...and I hear I am mentioned or in it....can someone email or PM me what it was???
Thanks Guys!!!
JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Mikele » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:18 am

Joe Vana wrote:I don't have the book...and I hear I am mentioned or in it....can someone email or PM me what it was???
Thanks Guys!!!
JV

Cool that you were stopping by Jim's house to hear the new Survivor stuff!!
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Eyeof » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:41 am

JV you have a few mentions in the book as I recall....A couple about being a various events and one when you were a kid and would go over to hear the new Survivor stuff...

I just bought and read it this weekend and I guess all I can say is WOW. I expected the 'he said, she said' stuff, but not to the level that JP pretty much admits that he left FS 'ruin' his life in many ways. I am paraphrasing for sure, but it admits it got to the level that it even hurt his relationship at home...that is wild stuff.

It's also kind of amusing hearing him talk about the things that people have bitched about for years on here...the 30 minute guitar solo, too short of a set list, inexplicable songs left out of set list and off of albums, all the unreleased music and law suits...it's really crazy...

I never new that FS sued him over the FMS Demos. That is crazy. Why? So he could make sure nobody ever heard them?

According to this book, JP was really emotionally wounded by all this stuff.

It's always so much more personal on the inside...
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby Eyeof » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:45 am

With that said...

It was funny that he pointed out what I think might have been the biggest mistake they ever made as a band.

Not allowing the EOTT video to mix concert footage with footage from Rocky III. That movie and song were huge and had it been laced with images of Rocky vs. Mr. 2 and Rocky working out and running down the beach, mixed with band footage, it would have made the 'beret' and Survivor a household name and feature and an MTV sensation.

Instead we get a video of a band playing in front of garbage bags (yes literally hefty bags blowing) that I didn't even see until several years later. It makes NO sense.
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby RockInDetroit » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:38 am

All interesting reads. However Survivor is not the only band with these issues. Most bands do not like to air their dirty laundry, because what happens is that it becomes a public pissing contest and in the end those doing the pissing all look bad. All I can say is that it is just too bad. In the end, everyone suffers the artists like JP (mentions) and the fans but it is life. That is why often bands say so and so left for creative differences even though it is a complete lie. I can think of one instance where the band said so and so left because they did not like touring and then the guy who did not like touring hooked up with another band and toured. LOL. You aint going to get the true story 90% of the time. Look what happened with KISS. All four band members got a lot of egg on their faces because it all went public.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby jaxmanjoe » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:04 am

I'm about 3/4 of the way through this book and, well, wow. I had no idea how dysfunctional this group was. It's really sad. I'll be interested to see the events from Frankie's point of view some day. I've actually felt nauseous a couple of times reading some of this book.

I hope they've both found happiness apart because they really seemed to hate working together, regardless of how incredible their combined talents as song writers was.

I've also come to the conclusion that my dream reunion will never happen. Again, sad. I do like the work each of them has done separate from Survivor. Jim's work with .38 Special and Frankie's work with Eddie Money are prime examples of how good they are regardless of who they write with.

I can't stop reading this book but I gotta tell you it's tough reading.

Jaxmanjoe
Jaxmanjoe
jaxmanjoe
45 RPM

Next

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)