Jimi Jamison dead at 63... We've lost a legend.

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Jimi Jamison dead at 63... We've lost a legend.

Postby G.I.Jim » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:34 am

WTF??????????? Just read this...

http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/01/jimi-jami ... -survivor/

So sad and gut wrenching to know what a talent we've lost. He still had many more songs in him. RIP Jimi. :(
Last edited by G.I.Jim on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Re: Jimi Jamison dead????

Postby AR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:35 am

AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:40 am

DAMN this sucks ass!!!! What the hell is going on in the world? :cry: Last week I buried one of my best friends from high school, one of my other best friends is in critical condition after being hit by a car, another friend has been missing for a week and now this. FUCKING SHITTY LAST WEEK!!! :cry:

I seriously hope this is some sort of prank, but I don't think it is. Shitty shitty news. :cry:
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby conversationpc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:47 am

Just heard it...Dead of a heart attack at 63. Dang...Why do the guys who seem like the real good guys seem to die younger? He was just a good ol' southern boy from Mississippi. Dang.
My blog = Dave's Dominion

conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:44 pm

conversationpc wrote:Just heard it...Dead of a heart attack at 63. Dang...Why do the guys who seem like the real good guys seem to die younger? He was just a good ol' southern boy from Mississippi. Dang.

I've been lucky enough to meet a lot of the Rock stars of the 80's bands that I love. And Jimi Jamison and Jim Peterik are easily the two nicest that I've met. Jimi never acted like he was a big star or that he should be treated special. He would, however, treat his fans like they were special.

This is a very sad night for me. :(
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Marzdog » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:08 pm

Sad indeed. RIP
Marzdog
Ol' 78

Postby ForceInfinity » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm still trying to process this news. I've seen Jamison live on a couple of occasions: once in Dayton and once here in Reno and he was here again in Reno just a couple days ago

*sigh*

Just frightening how quickly these things can happen and how precious life is. I'll continue to cherish my memories from the live shows of his I did get to see.
ForceInfinity
45 RPM

Postby collingwood » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:05 pm

Very sad news :cry: Was in the prime of his career and I was enjoying his work more than ever in recent years. Sad to think he's gone so soon before his time was up. His music will live on and we will always remember him as a great man and great singer.
collingwood
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Jimi is without a doubt one of the most underrated singers ever!

I hope that he can get more recognition as the years go on.

I'm so grateful that I just got to see Jimi perform one last time this past August 15th.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Franky » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:16 pm

I fell very sad about Jimis unexpected Death. His voice for me was not from this earth. Jimi, thanks for what you gave to us and RIP :cry:
Franky
Ol' 78

Postby TageRyche » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:11 pm

Woke up to see this news this morning and it crushed me.

I got to see Jimi Jamison fronting Survivor on the "When Seconds Count" tour and back then, it was so cool when I shared a high five with him during the "Eye of the Tiger" encore.

I've listened to so much of his music over the years from Target and Cobra, to Survivor and various solo and collaborative projects.

I was just listening to some Survivor CDS and the Empires CD a little over a week ago.

Damn, "It's the Singer not the Song" will no longer play without a sense of melancholy for me.
TageRyche
LP

Re: Jimi Jamison

Postby BARON BLOOD » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:30 pm

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Thank you so much for everything !!!!
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby Lucky.Phil » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Absolutely gutted. Been a fan for a long time and was due to see him perform for the first time next month when Survivor were to tour the UK.
Thoughts to his family and friends at what must be an awful time. Didn't he make all his fans feel like his friends?
RIP Jimi.
Cold Chisel | Survivor | Dire Straits | Journey | Bob Seger | Amy Macdonald | The Script | Asia | Lynyrd Skynyrd | Dream Disciples | Peter Green | Rose Tattoo | The Angels | Paul Rodgers | Dio | John Fogerty | Dion | Paradise Lost | Jimmy Barnes
Lucky.Phil
Radio Waves

Postby RockInDetroit » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:43 pm

I too am shocked. Been a real bad year of deaths.

Jimi's death illustrates that life is short. We can not sit back and think we have all the time in the world. You can not take a day in your life for granted.

I was glad that Jimi got back with Survivor recently. While there was so much more he/they could have accomplished they did at least provide some kind of closure to the Jamison era by touring again. Great that Jimi and Dave got together on stage. I never did get the chance to see them as Detroit wasn't on the tours but from a band standpoint it was nice. Would have been nice to get that new album that has been talked about forever, but it is what it is.

RIP Jimi. We'll miss you.
Last edited by RockInDetroit on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby BBKlima » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:01 am

G.I.Jim wrote:DAMN this sucks ass!!!! What the hell is going on in the world? :cry: Last week I buried one of my best friends from high school, one of my other best friends is in critical condition after being hit by a car, another friend has been missing for a week and now this. FUCKING SHITTY LAST WEEK!!! :cry:

I seriously hope this is some sort of prank, but I don't think it is. Shitty shitty news. :cry:

its called getting older. :( I know it sucks. I remember my grandmothers telling me that one of the sad parts of growing old is burying your loved ones. They are both since gone themselves.

Having said that, 63 is way too young. Please, for the sake of your loved ones, schedule your yearly physical today.
BBKlima
Ol' 78

Postby Final Frontiers » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:05 am

I didn't see the news until I was at work and saw it on Huffington Post. Maybe because it was Labor day, no one talked about it. I didn't see it on the news or the entertainment programs. Hopefully, he'll get a mention tonight. On the way home, I listened to 80s on 8, Classic Rewind, and EW radio. Only EW Radio mentioned his death. I was expecting them to be playing some Survivor on XM or one of the DJs talking about it. They all suck if they can't even manage to do a small tribute to him. Who wants to complain to their local radio stations and XM? :x

Here's Jimi with John Cafferty and The Beaver Brown Band on August 10, 2014 at a Rock & Jock Charity concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nceyD7unHuI
Final Frontiers
45 RPM

Re: Jimi Jamison dead at 63... We've lost a legend.

Postby def » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:30 am

Oh well, I considered to attend their upcoming show in Cologne, Germany. My major Motive would habe been to finally see both of those legendary singers after having seen solely Bickler twent years ago. Half jokingly I invited zwo friends to join me, mentioning that the members of the Band do not get any younger. Now this happens...how sad. At the least it Made finally order the One Mans Trash cd. Will listen to it remembering one of the most charismatic voices there was in melodic Rock. His passing was all over the News here in germany. Tonite it is time vor the Cobra live bootleg... Mandy Meyer gives his condolences On his Website
def
Ol' 78

Postby Final Frontiers » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:52 am

Here's "The Search Is Over" live in Japan 1985.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCow0H1dxs0

Unfortunately, I'm seeing around the internet people confusing the lead singer of Survivor dying with it being the singer of "Eye Of The Tiger" and Dave Bickler being dead :cry: . It would be humorous if it weren't sad.
Final Frontiers
45 RPM

Postby montyollie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:27 am

I am absolutely GUTTED by this news. Just gutted. I am speechless, and I'm one of those people who is never speechless.

Jimi was HANDS DOWN my favourite vocalist. He's been my avatar on this site for 8 years, and I run the Jimi Jamison fans on facebook.

I live near Buffalo NY, but I want to go the public memorial. Please keep me posted if anyone hears where and when it might be. THANK YOU!

Jo
You can't change the wind, but you can change the sails.
-- Frankie Sullivan

'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*: http://montyollie.livejournal.com :*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'`
montyollie
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:07 pm

montyollie wrote:I am absolutely GUTTED by this news. Just gutted. I am speechless, and I'm one of those people who is never speechless.

Jimi was HANDS DOWN my favourite vocalist. He's been my avatar on this site for 8 years, and I run the Jimi Jamison fans on facebook.

I live near Buffalo NY, but I want to go the public memorial. Please keep me posted if anyone hears where and when it might be. THANK YOU!

Jo

My condolences to you.

Jimi is my favorite singer of all time. I'm a huge fan of other great vocalists like Steve Perry, Lou Gramm and many others. But Jimi is in my opinion the greatest of them all.

I was lucky enough to get to speak to Jimi many times at his concerts. He was the friendliest Rock star that you could ever meet, and it was obvious that he greatly appreciated all of his fans.

This is really rough on me as well.

I hope that there is some sort of tribute concert or something along those lines held in Jimi's honor!
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:16 pm

Here's a link with a little bit of info on Jimi's funeral and future public memorial.

http://wreg.com/2014/09/01/music-legend ... y-at-63-2/
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Bye Jimi, you brought so much joy fun and energy into my life.
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby DavidWT » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:42 pm

This is definitely sad news. Such a great voice, and though I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, I only hear good things about him. It's also kind of sad that he seemed to be largely overlooked until he died, and then suddenly he's "trending" on the internet. With his voice, he deserved to be "trending" long before that.

Two things I am glad for, though:
1. He really DOES live on through his music. I know it's cliche and corny to say it, but it's true. As long as there are recordings of him out there, singing his heart out, then he'll continue to entertain us just as he always has done.

2. When I first heard he died, I thought, "Please don't tell me it was a drug overdose." I know the end result is the same, but I'm glad it wasn't another stupid cliche rock star death.

One slightly irritating side effect of Jimi's death is reading all the comments that have him mixed up with Dave Bickler. I've seen several people pointing out "facts" such as "Did you know he was the voice behind the Real Men Of Genius Budweiser commercials!?" and "I loved him since I first him sing Eye Of THe Tiger in Rocky III!"
DavidWT
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:22 am

DavidWT wrote:This is definitely sad news. Such a great voice, and though I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, I only hear good things about him. It's also kind of sad that he seemed to be largely overlooked until he died, and then suddenly he's "trending" on the internet. With his voice, he deserved to be "trending" long before that.

1. He really DOES live on through his music. I know it's cliche and corny to say it, but it's true. As long as there are recordings of him out there, singing his heart out, then he'll continue to entertain us just as he always has done.

2. When I first heard he died, I thought, "Please don't tell me it was a drug overdose." I know the end result is the same, but I'm glad it wasn't another stupid cliche rock star death.

One slightly irritating side effect of Jimi's death is reading all the comments that have him mixed up with Dave Bickler. I've seen several people pointing out "facts" such as "Did you know he was the voice behind the Real Men Of Genius Budweiser commercials!?" and "I loved him since I first him sing Eye Of THe Tiger in Rocky III!"

Great comments.

I thought the same thing about drugs. But Jimi never seemed the type to do hard drugs. Whenever I spoke to him he never did any drugs or even drank. The only thing I ever saw him drink was water or Coca-Cola. In fact one time when I was backstage at one of his shows he told me to help myself to something to drink out of the cooler. There was one can of coke left. I took it, and a few minutes later he opened the cooler and looked into it and said "Hey, who took my last can of coke?" I told him that I was sorry, that I had taken it. He just smiled and said "Don't worry about it, that's fine."

Jimi WILL live-on through his music, and the memories that we all have of him performing, and in many cases those of us who were lucky enough to meet him.

I know what you mean about people confusing Jimi and Dave. Both of them deserve their own recognition!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Final Frontiers » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:18 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
DavidWT wrote:This is definitely sad news. Such a great voice, and though I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, I only hear good things about him. It's also kind of sad that he seemed to be largely overlooked until he died, and then suddenly he's "trending" on the internet. With his voice, he deserved to be "trending" long before that.

Great comments.

I thought the same thing about drugs. But Jimi never seemed the type to do hard drugs. Whenever I spoke to him he never did any drugs or even drank. The only thing I ever saw him drink was water or Coca-Cola. In fact one time when I was backstage at one of his shows he told me to help myself to something to drink out of the cooler. There was one can of coke left. I took it, and a few minutes later he opened the cooler and looked into it and said "Hey, who took my last can of coke?" I told him that I was sorry, that I had taken it. He just smiled and said "Don't worry about it, that's fine."

Jimi WILL live-on through his music, and the memories that we all have of him performing, and in many cases those of us who were lucky enough to meet him.

I know what you mean about people confusing Jimi and Dave. Both of them deserve their own recognition!

I was kinda afarid this would happen if one of them died. I get the feeling that if Dave the singer of "Eye Of The Tiger" died it would've been made a bigger deal in the media :? . I still haven't heard any tributes on XM- 80s on 8, or Classic Rewind. Have any of you heard anything on any classic rock local stations?
Final Frontiers
45 RPM

Postby jrny84 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:23 am

Really sad to hear this news. As others have said on here, he had a very underrated voice that should be up there with vocalists like Perry, Mercury, Gramm..etc. One of the most unique and recognizable voices in rock music. I really kick myself for not seeing Survivor live.

Love the tunes "I Cant Hold Back", "High on You", "Is this Love", and "Burning Heart".
jrny84
8 Track

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:39 pm

Anyone else doing a Jimi marathon of songs the last few days? I've been constantly playing all of the albums that he's been on. It's still so hard to accept that we won't be getting new songs from him, with the possible exception of unreleased songs.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby jrny84 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:59 am

I was just reading an old interview that Jamison did back in 2007, he said he always wanted to sing with Steve Perry. Here is the excerpt:

Interviewed by Dave Felix
Date: December 2007

Dave Felix: Over the years, you’ve had the opportunity to work with countless numbers of artists and musicians. At this point in your career, is there anyone that you’d like to work with that you haven’t had the opportunity to yet?

Jimi Jamison: Lets see… I like to work with really great singers and the best singers I can actually find because when I am in that environment it seems to make me sing better. I’ve always wanted to do a duet or something with Steve Perry but he seems to be a hard fellow to track down. (Laughs) Other than that, one time I had the opportunity to perform with DEEP PURPLE but I wasn’t able to do it and I really regret that because they’ve always been one of my all time favorite bands.

http://www.rockeyez.com/interviews/int- ... mison.html

That would have been a really awesome duet if Perry and Jamison did something.
jrny84
8 Track

Postby DavidWT » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:39 am

Final Frontiers wrote:I was kinda afarid this would happen if one of them died. I get the feeling that if Dave the singer of "Eye Of The Tiger" died it would've been made a bigger deal in the media.

I'm not sure Dave's death would necessarily have been bigger news. Although Eye Of The Tiger was a big deal, I think Jimi actually recorded more hits with Survivor.

Regardless of which one died, there would have been confusion among casual fans, I guess, since a lot of them probably don't know that there were two different singers.
It's funny, though, because I never thought they sounded alike. I first really became aware of Survivor when my parents bought me the Rocky IV soundtrack cassette for Christmas. I immediately liked "Eye Of The Tiger" and "Burning Heart," and I was actually surprised when I looked at the credits and saw that they were both by Survivor. I remember thinking, "But it doesn't sound like the same guy."
DavidWT
LP

Postby TageRyche » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:49 am

Final Frontiers wrote:
I was kinda afarid this would happen if one of them died. I get the feeling that if Dave the singer of "Eye Of The Tiger" died it would've been made a bigger deal in the media :? . I still haven't heard any tributes on XM- 80s on 8, or Classic Rewind. Have any of you heard anything on any classic rock local stations?

I might've missed it on a couple of local stations in my area, but as far as I know they didn't say anything about Jamison's death.
TageRyche
LP

Next

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)