Jimi Jamison dead at 63... We've lost a legend.

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Jimi Jamison dead at 63... We've lost a legend.

Postby Final Frontiers » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:06 am

That Jimi died over Labor day weekend didn't help because most of the entertainment and news programs were either pre-taped, a rerun, or had a skeleton crew. I didn't see the news until Tuesday morning and I had the TV on all day-night long.

I sent an email to XM. They have seperate ones for the different channels and sent one to both 80s on 8 and Classic Rewind- telling them how disappointed in them I was about this. Especially considering how much Survivor they play- I hear "High On You", "The Search Is Over", and "I Can't Hold Back" a LOT. But not at all this week. I don't know if Survivor ever did any interviews or promos for XM-Sirius cause I hear Neal and Jonathan from time to time and Night Ranger and Joe Elliot.
Final Frontiers
45 RPM

Postby Eyeof » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:43 am

I did here them play "I Can't Hold Back" on Tuesday and before they did talk about Jimi passing and played the song in dedication on the 80's channel on Tuesday.
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby BARON BLOOD » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:02 pm

It's the first time a singer/musician dies and that it fucks me up !.....and I'm sure it will be the last.........cause for me he was in a special category all by himself............I'm always listening to SURVIVOR and JJ music but it's kinda strange right now listening to him sing......I'm sure many of you know what I mean.
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:40 am

BARON BLOOD wrote:It's the first time a singer/musician dies and that it fucks me up !.....and I'm sure it will be the last.........cause for me he was in a special category all by himself............I'm always listening to SURVIVOR and JJ music but it's kinda strange right now listening to him sing......I'm sure many of you know what I mean.

There are a couple of other guys that I will be very sad when they die, (If I'm still alive at the time) but Jimi might be about the most sad that I could be over the loss of a celebrity. Not only because of his TREMENDOUS singing talent. But because he was easily one of the nicest and most kindhearted celebrities that there was.

Jim Peterik and Jonathan Cain seem like great guys too.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Final Frontiers » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Eyeof wrote:I did here them play "I Can't Hold Back" on Tuesday and before they did talk about Jimi passing and played the song in dedication on the 80's channel on Tuesday.

That's pathetic :x. They mentioned his death once and played a single song. On a channel dedicated to 80s music. I still haven't gotten a response from my email yet. If they didn't feel the need to mention him on channel 8- a bigger deal could've-should've been made on Classic Rewind. I remember people making a bigger stink over Rock Me Amadeus singer Falco dying.

No wonder those MTVJs feel the need to pat themselves on the back so much, because no one else will.
Final Frontiers
45 RPM

Postby Mikele » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:50 pm

I'm still quite shocked. Can't believe we lost Jimi forever and there won't be any stage graced by his talent.

in the last few years I've been in owe with what the band was onto, deep in my heart it was a dream come true and you could tell Jimi was giving his best at every performance. I actually thought it was almost like a dream....

My thoughts goes to his family and close friends. My god, we the fans know he was such an underrated vocalist
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:00 am

Man, what I would have given for Jimi to have done a duet with Steve Perry, especially if we're talking Perry around the time of the Escape album.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby RockInDetroit » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:03 am

Final Frontiers wrote:
Eyeof wrote:I did here them play "I Can't Hold Back" on Tuesday and before they did talk about Jimi passing and played the song in dedication on the 80's channel on Tuesday.

That's pathetic :x. They mentioned his death once and played a single song. On a channel dedicated to 80s music. I still haven't gotten a response from my email yet. If they didn't feel the need to mention him on channel 8- a bigger deal could've-should've been made on Classic Rewind. I remember people making a bigger stink over Rock Me Amadeus singer Falco dying.

No wonder those MTVJs feel the need to pat themselves on the back so much, because no one else will.

Falco died?

In defense of Eighties on 8, that stuff is recorded far in advance.

But also, yes Jimi was a good singer. He had some nice hits with Survivor, but he wasn't the singer of their biggest hit. Jamison appeared on 3 relevant (eighties) cds. I feel he was underrated, but he was not a nationally known celebrity. Also, people know the name Falco more than Jimi Jamison. That has something to do with him being a solo artist, but still. Be thankful Jimi got better national coverage than John Spinks.

As far as musical deaths, Jimi's ranks up there for me. The two biggest shockers were John Lennon and Davy Jones. Scott Smith from Loverboy hit also. Robert Palmer was a very big star of the 80's and I really don't think his death got covered as much as it should have either.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:57 am

RockInDetroit wrote:
Final Frontiers wrote:

Falco died?

But also, yes Jimi was a good singer. He had some nice hits with Survivor, but he wasn't the singer of their biggest hit. Jamison appeared on 3 relevant (eighties) cds. I feel he was underrated, but he was not a nationally known celebrity. Also, people know the name Falco more than Jimi Jamison. That has something to do with him being a solo artist, but still. Be thankful Jimi got better national coverage than John Spinks.

As far as musical deaths, Jimi's ranks up there for me. The two biggest shockers were John Lennon and Davy Jones. Scott Smith from Loverboy hit also. Robert Palmer was a very big star of the 80's and I really don't think his death got covered as much as it should have either.

I never knew that Falco died either, until I read it on here the other day.
I can't say that I agree with the idea that Falco was a bigger name than Jimi Jamison. I can only name one Falco song. IMO Jimi had far greater success. Jimi sadly isn't as well known as say Steve Perry, but he still made a pretty good name for himself for sure.

I spoke to Scott Smith just a couple of weeks or so before he was lost at sea. I got to see Jimi perform just a couple of weeks before he died, but sadly, I did not speak with him this last time. :(
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Final Frontiers » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:36 am

RockInDetroit wrote:
Final Frontiers wrote:

Falco died?

The VJs on 80s on 8 frequently talk about current events and upcoming artists' albums before they play their classic hits. So a lot of the time at least during drive time it's a new episode. Although on the weekends and during long blocks it can be automated.

No Jimi was never a "star" in the same way that Steve Perry, Jon Bon Jovi, Steven Tyler are. Which doesn't make sense actually, Jimi was cute, he could sing..... so why wasn't he made out to be a teen idol poster boy?
Final Frontiers
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:14 am

Final Frontiers wrote:No Jimi was never a "star" in the same way that Steve Perry, Jon Bon Jovi, Steven Tyler are. Which doesn't make sense actually, Jimi was cute, he could sing..... so why wasn't he made out to be a teen idol poster boy?

Why were Survivor never as big of a success as Journey, Bon Jovi and Aerosmith? They were just as good as those bands. Better than Aerosmith and Bon Jovi in my opinion.
A big part of it is that Scotti Brothers never promoted Survivor as well as those other bands were promoted by their labels.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Final Frontiers » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Final Frontiers wrote:No Jimi was never a "star" in the same way that Steve Perry, Jon Bon Jovi, Steven Tyler are. Which doesn't make sense actually, Jimi was cute, he could sing..... so why wasn't he made out to be a teen idol poster boy?

Why were Survivor never as big of a success as Journey, Bon Jovi and Aerosmith? They were just as good as those bands. Better than Aerosmith and Bon Jovi in my opinion.
A big part of it is that Scotti Brothers never promoted Survivor as well as those other bands were promoted by their labels.

That doesn't make any sense considering how many hits Jimi had. Plus the quailty videos like "The Search Is Over" and "High On You" they put out. Nobody clowns them on their videos like they do Journey :? Even now, who's in control of the catalog? Why haven't they made an announcement? Like their releasing new music or something- this is the time the bottom feeding music execs come out :lol:. Did Survivor get a bump up the Billboard, Itunes, Google Play charts after Labor Day?
Final Frontiers
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:12 pm

I just reread an interview that Jimi did in 2012, and in it he mentioned that he was going to have a song in a Christian Slater mafia movie called "Trouble In Paradise." Jimi also said that he was going to have a small acting role in the movie. When I just Googled the movie, it does list Jimi as having the theme song called "Havana's Mine."

I don't think that the film has come out as of yet? I wonder if it still will be released, if Jimi finished the song, and if he filmed a scene for it?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Final Frontiers » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:I just reread an interview that Jimi did in 2012, and in it he mentioned that he was going to have a song in a Christian Slater mafia movie called "Trouble In Paradise." Jimi also said that he was going to have a small acting role in the movie. When I just Googled the movie, it does list Jimi as having the theme song called "Havana's Mine."

I don't think that the film has come out as of yet? I wonder if it still will be released, if Jimi finished the song, and if he filmed a scene for it?

I don't see it on imdb under it's own name or under Christian Slater's. Who knows what happened to it.
Final Frontiers
45 RPM

Postby Final Frontiers » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:35 pm

I finally heard "High On You" on the 8 channel on Wednesday. But it was sandwiched between two other songs and got no mention of Jimi or Survivor or any VJ chatter :x . Yesterday, I heard "Eye Of The Tiger" same channel same story. Both were in the morning. I'm beginning to think XM never like Survivor since they never recorded any promos for them like Joe Elliot, Journey, Night Ranger, etc have.
Final Frontiers
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Sadly, it has been a full year now since Jimi's passing. :(
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby montyollie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:22 pm

I know. Just gutted.
You can't change the wind, but you can change the sails.
-- Frankie Sullivan

'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*: http://montyollie.livejournal.com :*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'`
montyollie
45 RPM

Postby Ehwmatt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:48 pm

I'm just glad I got to see him with Survivor at one of his last shows about two weeks before it happened.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Mikele » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:05 am

We've lost one of the greatest.
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:17 am

Ehwmatt wrote:I'm just glad I got to see him with Survivor at one of his last shows about two weeks before it happened.

You and me both!

He only did like 3 or 4 more shows after that.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Franky » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:23 am

I remember that I got Tickets for a gig at Cologne in Germany on the Empire tour - Sadly the gig didn't take part cause of some injury of the drummer ... I drove home, very sad ....
But that didn't come close to Jim's sudden death.

For me Jims voice, and Survivors songwriting, was was something beyond this earth. I often dreamed and wished I could sing with his voice. His voice opended heaven and made my heart fly high ... He impersoned for me the American way, THE American voice, and evrything music could give to me.

His talent was extraordinary - I wis I'd met him.

Farewell Jimmy :cry:

Franky
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:58 am

Franky wrote:I remember that I got Tickets for a gig at Cologne in Germany on the Empire tour - Sadly the gig didn't take part cause of some injury of the drummer ... I drove home, very sad ....
But that didn't come close to Jim's sudden death.

For me Jims voice, and Survivors songwriting, was was something beyond this earth. I often dreamed and wished I could sing with his voice. His voice opended heaven and made my heart fly high ... He impersoned for me the American way, THE American voice, and evrything music could give to me.

His talent was extraordinary - I wis I'd met him.

Farewell Jimmy :cry:

Yes, I wish you had been able to meet him as well!

As one of the many of us on here who was fortunate enough to speak with him on many occasions, I can tell you that he was without a doubt one of the nicest Rock stars that you could ever meet!!! He used to give me and a few of my friends backstage passes to his shows, and he told us that we were welcome backstage at any of his shows.
We hung out with him many times. He would always hang out talking and offer us a can of soda or a beer. I really only saw Jimi drink Coke or pepsi after a show.

I've meet many of the Melodic Rock musicians that I grew up listening to. Many of them have been nice guys. But Jim Peterik is the only one who came at all close to being as friendly and kind as Jimi.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Previous

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)