Jimi's Cause of Death Released

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Jimi's Cause of Death Released

Postby Slander » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:59 am

I can't tell you how sad this made me. God Bless Jimi.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... on-autopsy
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Re: Jimi's Cause of Death Released

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:13 pm

I know what you mean. I was afraid that it might be drug related on the night that his death became public, but I had always seen and heard good things about him not using drugs. Of course, since then I read about some of Jimi's drug use in Peterik's book.

Just tonight, before reading the autopsy results, I was getting extra bummed out about Jimi's death. Then I read the autopsy results, and it's all the worse.

Dammit, Jimi. :cry:
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:26 pm

What a damn depressing bit of news.
TageRyche
LP

Postby Mikele » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:10 am

I had come to terms with Jimi's death (from a loving fan point of view, of course) and processed it. Now, this news is devastating, it's like he died again
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby scarab » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:35 am

Still can't believe he is gone, and now this? Such a shame.
One of the best voices of Melodic Rock.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby RockInDetroit » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:09 am

The thought of something like this never crossed my mind. I thought he just had a heart attack. This helps explain everything.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Eyeof » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:16 am

So what does that mean exactly...It's pretty vague...He took a diet pill and died? He smoked crystal meth and died? I'm just not sure...guess it matters not anyways...
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:45 am

Eyeof wrote:So what does that mean exactly...It's pretty vague...He took a diet pill and died? He smoked crystal meth and died? I'm just not sure...guess it matters not anyways...

My guess. He had been taking "uppers." He was probably either doing it to give him energy during concerts. (He was in his 60's) Or to help him keep off the weight. I know that he had felt like he was to heavy at certain times in his adult life.

His arteries appear to have been badly clogged. And that and the use of the "uppers" were major contributors (or even the sole reason) to his death.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:56 am

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm still pretty devastated by Jimi's death.

I am still getting really depressed every time that I think about his death.

One night last week I coincidentally was right by 4 different venues that I had seen Jimi perform at over the years. Two of the venues were places that I had seen Jimi's solo band perform at, and the other two were places that I had seen Jimi perform with Survivor. I had been able to hangout with Jimi at 3 of the 4 venues. One of the venues that I passed last week was the last place that I ever saw Jimi perform at, which was only a couple of weeks before his death.

I walked around a couple of the venues last week, and it brought back great memories of seeing Jimi perform, and hanging-out with Jimi and his band before and after shows. But it also made me extra sad about his death.

I've been fortunate enough to meet a lot of my favorite musicians over the years, and several of them have been really friendly. Jeff Watson is always very friendly, and seems like a nice guy. But Jimi and Peterik are the two classiest of all of the big name musicians that I've been able to meet. And I got to hangout with Jimi more than any of the others. I'll always have greater respect for Jimi than just about any other big name entertainer!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby jaxmanjoe » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:18 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm still pretty devastated by Jimi's death.

I am still getting really depressed every time that I think about his death.

I'm with you. I've been listening to my Survivor playlist a lot more often since Jimi's death and it always seems like I've lost a family member even though I've only met him once and just for a second. Since Jimi's death and finishing JP's book I think it has finally hit home that Survivor as we know and love them is dead, also. Even if Frankie and Dave EVER come out with a new Survivor album and I love it, I'll never consider it a true Survivor album. There was magic wen JP and Frankie wrote together that will never be reproduced again and it's depressing to finally close the door on that possibility.

I love Dave Bickler and all the music written for his incredible voice but it was Jimi leading the band during my late teenage years and his voice that spoke to me through Frankie and JP's music. Fortunately, that voice will always live on through their music but I feel like a part of me died the day I heard the news. There's a small void now in my heart that I know will never be filled by anyone in the music industry as it continues to drift away from the style and vibe of 80's rock. My fifteen year old daughter knows a lot of the Survivor songs by heart and it's great to know I've passed on this music to her but she's not vested in the music the way we are.

My mother died last year, also, and I'm not sure which death had a greater impact on me. Is that awful? I lost two voices that helped mold the man that I've become and I feel guilty when I find myself thinking more about Jimi than my mother. I know it's because I keep listening to his voice everyday I start up my iTunes playlists but I feel guilty nevertheless.

It's also sad to know that there's probably dozens of demo tracks out there somewhere with Jimi's voice that we'll never hear because of the reality of musicians and their inherent artistic vanities. If Frankie and JP could only realize how valuable those songs would be to us.

Maybe someday we'll hear some of this new/old music with Jimi's voice coming to us from beyond the grave. We'll see.
Jaxmanjoe
jaxmanjoe
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:07 pm

The hardest that I had ever taken a celebrities death had been when John Ritter died. I was a huge Three's Company fan as a kid (Still watch the reruns on a regular basis) and also liked 8 Simple Rules. It came as a shock when John Ritter died, and he was way too young to die. But my sadness over Jimi's death is 100 times greater. I've had some aunts and uncles and one grandmother who's deaths didn't bother me nearly as much as Jimi's. I felt bad when they died, but not as bad as when Jimi died. Of course, they had all lived much longer lives, and had declining health leading up to their deaths. So that softened the blow a little when they died. Plus I wasn't really close to any of them.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)