Upcoming Peterik/Scherer Album

Postby bomes » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pigPAuPYN0s

Sounds like Pride of Lions...(?)
bomes
45 RPM

Re: Upcoming Peterik/Scherer Album

Postby BARON BLOOD » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:22 pm

Every Frontiers record is starting to sound the same.....They need to let go their current sound and go for a more organic one.
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:09 am

BARON BLOOD wrote:Every Frontiers record is starting to sound the same.....They need to let go their current sound and go for a more organic one.

Yeah. I've been noticing obvious similarities between Jimi Jamison's "Never Too Late," the Pride Of Lions albums, and Revolution Saints album. As much as I like the performances on the Revolution Saints album, I'm not overly impressed by the lyrics on the album.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby BARON BLOOD » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:51 am

You are RIGHT !.....

The REVOLUTION SAINTS album has great songs but hey it's like every album FRONTIERS releases these days is mixed by the same guy in the same studio and is written by the same people.....they need to stop using that formula and explore.
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby leftovertu » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:49 am

did peterik have some sort of falling out with toby hitchcock? sounds a lot like pride of lions to my ears....
leftovertu
Radio Waves

Postby lordreo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:51 pm

Pride of Lions is still very much alive. As to the falling out: Toby sings backup on this record ;)

No problems between them are known to me.
lordreo
Ol' 78

Postby leftovertu » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:35 pm

good to know! i think jim and toby make a great team!
leftovertu
Radio Waves

Postby Kid Dynamite » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:10 am

Did first 2 spins today, sounds fresher than last POL album but the songs don't have an identity as clear as most other JP works. I've listened "Cold Blooded" 10+ times so far and still did not get a catch for it. The album as a whole is very good though.

Risk Everything, Desperate In Love, Thee Crescendo, The Dying Of The Light and Broken Home got me already. Smoother And Sm... err :roll: , How Long Is A Moment and Milestones sounded interesting too.
Kid Dynamite
Ol' 78

Postby yulog » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:56 pm

I like Marc's voice over Toby's, this c d is pretty good , it very much in that survivor/ Jimi Jamison, style.
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri May 08, 2015 11:19 am

For some reason, I just can't get into this album that much. I love POL and of course I love Survivor, but I'm just not feeling this one as much. Jim sometimes drags his songs about 2 minutes too long, and that's in full effect on many tracks here. I would've preferred another album like Above the Storm over something that sounds like POL with a replacement vocalist and less inspired songwriting. I seem to be in the minority, though.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat May 09, 2015 9:33 am

Ehwmatt wrote:For some reason, I just can't get into this album that much. I love POL and of course I love Survivor, but I'm just not feeling this one as much. Jim sometimes drags his songs about 2 minutes too long, and that's in full effect on many tracks here. I would've preferred another album like Above the Storm over something that sounds like POL with a replacement vocalist and less inspired songwriting. I seem to be in the minority, though.

Peterik, while still a great songwriter, greatly misses Frankie Sullivan's songwriting/guitar playing in his new material. Just the same as Sullivan greatly misses Peterik's songwriting and organizational skills.

Sure would be awesome for them to realize that, and to do one last Survivor album together!!!!!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Tue May 12, 2015 9:51 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:For some reason, I just can't get into this album that much. I love POL and of course I love Survivor, but I'm just not feeling this one as much. Jim sometimes drags his songs about 2 minutes too long, and that's in full effect on many tracks here. I would've preferred another album like Above the Storm over something that sounds like POL with a replacement vocalist and less inspired songwriting. I seem to be in the minority, though.

Peterik, while still a great songwriter, greatly misses Frankie Sullivan's songwriting/guitar playing in his new material. Just the same as Sullivan greatly misses Peterik's songwriting and organizational skills.

Sure would be awesome for them to realize that, and to do one last Survivor album together!!!!!

Peterik's written some great stuff on his own, including stuff that rocks as hard as most of the stuff he and Frankie did together. Sometimes, though, I feel like his songs need a good editor (which, interestingly enough, is how he himself described Frankie's primary role on a lot of their co-writes). There's no reason for most of the songs on "Risk Everything" to be well over 4.5 minutes (average track length appears to be 5 mins 3 seconds). Many of his more recent songs (recent POL and this album) seem to have one verse and chorus too many. A great hook gets diluted if the song is too long. Toto can get away with these longer pop songs most of the time because their musical breaks are usually great, but JP's material sometimes suffers from length.

What do you think of the album overall? How do you rate it compared to POL?
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue May 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:

Peterik's written some great stuff on his own, including stuff that rocks as hard as most of the stuff he and Frankie did together. Sometimes, though, I feel like his songs need a good editor (which, interestingly enough, is how he himself described Frankie's primary role on a lot of their co-writes). There's no reason for most of the songs on "Risk Everything" to be well over 4.5 minutes (average track length appears to be 5 mins 3 seconds). Many of his more recent songs (recent POL and this album) seem to have one verse and chorus too many. A great hook gets diluted if the song is too long. Toto can get away with these longer pop songs most of the time because their musical breaks are usually great, but JP's material sometimes suffers from length.

What do you think of the album overall? How do you rate it compared to POL?

I don't have it yet. But I hope to get it soon. The same goes for the new Tommy Denander album.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)