Survivor is pissed off at Kim Davis

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Survivor is pissed off at Kim Davis

Postby DavidWT » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:42 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/music/survivor-did-not-grant-kentucky-county-clerk-kim-128671777736.html

It might be Kim Davis’ favorite hype-up song, but Survivor says it did not grant the embattled Kentucky county clerk the rights to use “Eye of the Tiger” at her get-out-of-jail rally.

Davis – who was jailed for refusing to grant marriage licenses to same-sex couples in her state – stood alongside Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee at a rally in Grayson, Ky., on Tuesday (Sept. 8) as the Survivor anthem made famous by Rocky III played in the background.

Survivor founding member and “Eye of the Tiger” co-writer Jim Peterik sent a statement to Billboard making clear that the band did not authorize the song’s use at Tuesday’s rally.

“I was very surprised and dismayed at the misuse of the song I co-wrote with Frankie Sullivan for Rocky lll,” he said. “The song has motivated thousands through the years to reach beyond their limits. Its use for the release of Kim Davis does not support my views or my politics. I have contacted my publishers to make sure this usage is stopped immediately.”

Sullivan, meanwhile, took to Facebook to let his followers know he did not support Davis’ crusade. “We did not grant Kim Davis any rights to use 'My Tune -The Eye Of The Tiger.’ I would not grant her the rights to use Charmin!” he wrote.

TMZ is reporting that the group is considering a lawsuit over the use of their song.
DavidWT
LP

Re: Survivor is pissed off at Kim Davis

Postby TageRyche » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:45 am

Glad they got that news out there because I would've truly been horrified if they had given their okay.
TageRyche
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:52 am

deleted
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:20 pm

In fact, Jorney/Survivor, it looked like both Frankie and Jim didn't just make the point about 'unauthourized' use of their work, but also wanted to make a very clear political statement. And I don't really understand why they would want to do that. I think that, whatever their views might be, they should have just stick to the illegal use of the song, for which they are totally right
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby TageRyche » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:10 pm

So it is okay for that idiot clerk failing to do her job right to make her BS political statement but not the band's?

She could've avoided the whole problem entirely by resigning her office if she couldn't do the job.

She is not Rosa Parks.
TageRyche
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:53 am

deleted
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:01 am

It isn't politically correct to hold to the notion that someone in a publicly elected job refusing to perform said job should not be in that job.
TageRyche
LP

Postby scarab » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:50 am

Would it be okay for a firefighter/EMT/Police Officer, to refuse a call to a known same sex couple? Or for any other bigotry?
I applaud Survivor to call this out. I have a lot more respect for Frankie now.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:43 am

deleted
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:18 am

It's pretty well-known that Jim Peterik was the main writer of Survivor's songs. Yes, Frankie contributed great riffs or other aspects of the songs. But they were mostly written by Jim.

You read Jim's statement, and he gives Frankie credit as a co-writer of EOTT. You read Frankie's statement, and you see that he refers to EOTT as "My tune."
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:47 pm

so any government official now can refuse to do their job now because they deem it morally wrong (to there own religious or moral beliefs)?
I agree with the former post, do your job or quit. pretty simple.
Thank you Survivor, for standing up to bigotry.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby MarcelJordan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:24 am

Mikele you've said it right. It should have been about getting permission of using the song. I really cannot fathom these politically correct days. Once it was all about the music and intellectual property. Oh well.

MJ
2011 New Album by Survivor - RE-ENTRY!
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:51 am

deleted
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:21 am

So Kim is morbidly obese, which is a sin against God.

http://www.openbible.info/topics/gluttony

So now can an Government employee can refuse to give service to someone overweight?
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:14 am

And why can't we just get back to talking about Survivor's great music as opposed to these types of conversations???
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:06 pm

The last time I heard Survivor music it was never about Homosexuals. So let's move one guys. Let's talk about what's good for the music for a change. :D

J/S see your PM.

MJ
2011 New Album by Survivor - RE-ENTRY!
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)