Survivor live recording with Cameron Barton!!

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Survivor live recording with Cameron Barton!!

Postby Flip » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:10 am

I just recieved an live recording from "Survivor" with Cameron Barton and being the curious fan I am I did gave it a very objective listen.

This is the info about the concert:

Wildflower Arts & Music Festival
Galatyn Park - State Farm Amphitheater Stage
Richardson, TX
2016-05-20

01 Chevy Nights
02 Burning Heart
03 Rockin' Into The Night
04 High On You
05 Poor Man's Son
06 It's The Singer Not The Song
07 Light Of A Thousand Smiles
08 Take You On A Saturday
09 Rebel Girl
10 Somewhere In America
11 Keyboard Solo
12 The Search Is Over
13 Summer Nights
14 Guitar Solo
15 I Can't Hold Back
16 Eye Of The Tiger

I expected that the recording would be horrable to listen to but I listen to it without comparing it to my all time favourite band.
The music sounded pretty solid although Frankie is still too much on the front.
The songs sounded pretty good and if this was (maybe that's just what it is!) a tribute band they are very good.
Cameron is a good singer without a doubt and I gotta admitt he handles the Survivor songs pretty good, he doesn't irritate me the way Robin McAuley did.
"Somewhere in America" was in my opinion his best performance.
Overall a very good show and from what I've heard I honestly gotta admitt that it would be worth to see them live if I could.

Pretty weird to see myself writing this cause I never thought I could be positive over the "tribute" band.

Really hope they can surprise me again with a new album 8)
Flip
Radio Waves

Re: Survivor live recording with Cameron Barton!!

Postby Flip » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:33 am

Found some video of the show, "Eye Of The Tiger", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5LjqSk5Mwg
Flip
Radio Waves

Postby Flip » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:35 am

"It's The Singer Not The Song" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCBHhho9MY
Flip
Radio Waves

Postby Kid Dynamite » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:15 am

Chevy Nights
Light Of A Thousand Smiles

:shock:
Kid Dynamite
Ol' 78

Postby Mikele » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:48 pm

Curious that they've re-introduced many songs from the Dave-era now that he had been kicked out from the band....that's a setlist than any Survivor fan would have loved to witness with the originals up there singing
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby scarab » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:00 am

Flip wrote:"It's The Singer Not The Song" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCBHhho9MY

yes, it is the singer, not the song. And Cameron is not.
Interesting set light though. Wish Bickler was still in the band with all those early tracks.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Richard Epps » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:06 am

Flip,
I have this show too,and I agree with what you say,it is better than what I thought it would be,and for a tribute band I would see them.
Changing the subject as a fellow collector I bet you are as pleased as me with Rock Candy issuing the Target albums on cd??
Richard Epps
Ol' 78

Postby Flip » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:31 am

Richard,
I sure am very pleased with the Rock Candy release on the Target albums, knowing how they handeled al the other albums they did it will be great quality.
I'm also pleased with the new compilation that's coming on July 1, another nice addition to the colletion 8) .
Flip
Radio Waves

Postby Richard Epps » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:24 am

Yep I have the compilation on pre-order,with the Jim Peterik Pledge things arriving last week,its a good time for us collectors :D
Richard Epps
Ol' 78

Postby Lucky.Phil » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:02 am

What compilation?
Cold Chisel | Survivor | Dire Straits | Journey | Bob Seger | Amy Macdonald | The Script | Asia | Lynyrd Skynyrd | Dream Disciples | Peter Green | Rose Tattoo | The Angels | Paul Rodgers | Dio | John Fogerty | Dion | Paradise Lost | Jimmy Barnes
Lucky.Phil
Radio Waves

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:33 am

I had been hoping that Rock Candy would release the Target albums on CD! I was not aware until now that they actually are releasing them.

Those now being released on CD by Rock Candy is bitter-sweet for me. Mostly sweet, as I'm happy for myself and you guys, my fellow Survivor fans. But it's a little sad for me as well, because a good friend of mine who was a huge Survivor fan died a little over a year ago, and he had been desperately wanting Rock Candy to release the Target albums.

Also, it would have been nice if Jimi had gotten to see the release of the Target CD's.

Any word on whether or not Rock Candy will re-release Jimi's "When Love Comes Down" on CD?

Also, I too am interested in finding out what Survivor compilation album you guys are referring to? Anything that's previously unreleased on it?

Also, what is the Jim Peterik thing being mentioned?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Richard Epps » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:50 pm

Hi,the compilation that we are talking about contains no new material,but as we are mad collectors who have to have everything,it's a definite purchase.
http://www.realgonemusic.com/news/2016/ ... d-set.html

Jim Peterik has just released a cd called The Songs via Pledge Music,on top of the cd there were other items you could buy.The DVD's were on my order.
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/jimpeterik

With regards to the Target,that's a real shame about your friend,not seeing these,I know that Rock Candy have been trying to get them out there for several years.I have no idea about When Love Comes Down,it would make sense though.
Hope this helps with the questions :D
Richard Epps
Ol' 78

Postby Flip » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:52 am

Richard,
How did you pre-order the compilation CD, can't find that on the site.
Flip
Radio Waves

Postby Richard Epps » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:24 am

Flip,
I used cduniverse.com they are good from experience
Richard Epps
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:43 am

Richard Epps wrote:Hi,the compilation that we are talking about contains no new material,but as we are mad collectors who have to have everything,it's a definite purchase.

Jim Peterik has just released a cd called The Songs via Pledge Music,on top of the cd there were other items you could buy.The DVD's were on my order.
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/jimpeterik

With regards to the Target,that's a real shame about your friend,not seeing these,I know that Rock Candy have been trying to get them out there for several years.I have no idea about When Love Comes Down,it would make sense though.
Hope this helps with the questions :D

Thank you for the info!

I first met my friend Mike, back in about 1991. It was our mutual love of Survivor's music that led to our meeting and becoming friends. I have several friends that are fairly big Survivor fans, but Mike was the biggest fan of theirs after myself out of the group of my friends that I'm referring to. Both he and I had been emailing Rock Candy about the Target albums. He was really disappointed that the Target albums were not available on CD. He especially wanted to see Rock Candy release them on CD.
He died in February of 2015 from a heart attack. He was only 45 years old.

Between the news of the Target CD's about to be released, and the news that "Survivor" are starting to play some songs that they hadn't played in years, It's especially made me miss being able to speak with Mike.

Also, like I mentioned, it's sad that Jimi didn't get to see the release of the Target CD's!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:02 am

Jimi told me many years ago that Target had recorded a third album, but that they were dropped by the label before the album could be released.
I wonder if all of the bonus tracks that are going to be released on the two Target CD's are actually recordings from what would have been the third album?

It's a shame that Rock Candy didn't have any bonus tracks on the Cobra First Strike CD. There were other recordings done by Cobra that did not appear on the First Strike album.

Jimi had recorded one version of his When Love Comes Down CD that was very close to being released. Then, for whatever reason, it was delayed for about two years. When it was released it was quite a bit different than the original version that had almost been released two years earlier. I really wist that either Sony would release that original version of WLCD, or that Rock Candy could get the rights to it. Ideally, the WLCD album would be remastered and released with all of the original tracks that were different from the official release added on as bonus tracks.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Richard Epps » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:57 pm

I have had a look on amazon.co.uk and it would appear that the bonus tracks on both releases are going to be from the 1978 concert.You are right about a third album i have some of the tracks that were going to be on it.Shame it looks like we wont be hearing them if the info on amazon is correct.
I never knew that about WLCD,I know a similar thing took place with Empires(it was going to be called Have Mercy) but the tracks were too lightweight.They are out there in the tape trading circles.If WLCD ever got re-released not sure what could be added,there are a few remixes/edits from the singles(title track,Rock Hard,Taste Of Love).
Richard Epps
Ol' 78

Postby IngoK » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:35 am

Richard Epps wrote:Hi,the compilation that we are talking about contains no new material,but as we are mad collectors who have to have everything,it's a definite purchase.

Looks like it is the CD Version of the Download-Only from 2014:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OR ... ic&sr=1-14
IngoK
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:31 am

Richard Epps wrote:I have had a look on amazon.co.uk and it would appear that the bonus tracks on both releases are going to be from the 1978 concert.You are right about a third album i have some of the tracks that were going to be on it.Shame it looks like we wont be hearing them if the info on amazon is correct.
I never knew that about WLCD,I know a similar thing took place with Empires(it was going to be called Have Mercy) but the tracks were too lightweight.They are out there in the tape trading circles.If WLCD ever got re-released not sure what could be added,there are a few remixes/edits from the singles(title track,Rock Hard,Taste Of Love).

Jeremy Holiday, who sometimes posts here on the Survivor forum of MR, filled me in on the information of what would have been the original release of the WLCD album.
It would have been titled "Rock Hard."
The track listing would have been.....

Side A
Rock Hard
Girls Like
First Day Of Love
Cry Alone
I Believe

Side B
True Lovers
Something Every Heart Should Know
Cry Tough
Dream Too Far
Is It True What They Say About Love

Some of the songs that were later released on either the WLCD, Empires or unreleased demos albums had different mixes to them on what would have been the original "Rock Hard" album.

To clarify what I'm saying, if the original "Rock Hard" album that Jimi almost released in 1989 were to be released now, we would get to hear mastered versions of some of the songs that we currently only have in bootleg form. Also, we would have different mixes to some of the songs that ended up appearing on the WLCD and Empires albums.

I really wish that Sony would release the original "Rock Hard" album that Jimi had recorded. Or else sell the rights to it to someone like the Rock Candy label.

In a perfect situation, the WLCD album would get remastered and released with the original "Rock Hard" album recordings as bonus tracks.

It's a shame that the original "Rock Hard" album has never been officially released. It sounds to me as if it would have been a somewhat harder Rocking album than what the WLCD release was. Plus, we'd be getting to hear mastered versions of those low sound quality demos that we have now.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:43 am

Richard Epps wrote:I have had a look on amazon.co.uk and it would appear that the bonus tracks on both releases are going to be from the 1978 concert.You are right about a third album i have some of the tracks that were going to be on it.Shame it looks like we wont be hearing them if the info on amazon is correct.

You may already be aware of this? But the drummer on what would have been the third Target album was Bill Marshall who was later the drummer for Jimi's touring band in the early to mid 1990's. David Spain had been the drummer on the two Target albums that had been officially released.

How do you like the songs that you've heard from what would have been the third Target album? I've never heard any of them.
Back in the mid 90's Jimi had told me that he would give me copies of a bunch of his unreleased songs from over the years. But sadly, he never followed through on that.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:42 am

This version of the band is a joke.
Bring Bickler back, for the fukk sake
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Mikele » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:53 am

Apparently,the 8/12 show in Biloxi has been cancelled although the presales were going strong.
A new gig just popped up in the Chicago area. October 29th in Waukegan with John Waite and A flock of seagull.
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby def » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:18 am

Years ago i would have loved this package as JW is one of my alltime favourite singers and i always loved survivor. Nowadays JW would be the reason for me to go there solely...
def
Ol' 78

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)