The Lost Tapes YouTube, It Was Fun While It Lasted

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Re: The Lost Tapes YouTube, It Was Fun While It Lasted

Postby FalconONE » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:19 am

Yes I understand; I remember that Frankie told in the bulleting board back in 2006 that he called Jim to ask his permission to uses somes songs that they wrote together back in '93-'96 (like Fire Makes Steel) to be used on the Reach album.

But if we take these examples.. I doubt that Frankie gave is Okay to Jim or Jimi to publish those songs..

- Empires (1999)
Empires PAu002283150 / 1998-02-17 James Peterik/Frank Sullivan IIII/Jimmy Jamison 1988 352051013 T9171811204

I doubt that Frankie or AND Jim gave the OK to Jimi to publish this one on his solo record since Jimi was AT WAR with both Jim & Frankie over the Survivor name at the time...

- We Wish (1997)
We Wish PAu002013718 / 1995-04-13 James Peterik/Frank Sullivan IIII

I doubt that Frankie gave is OK so Jim could publish it on his solo World Stage record in 1999, Frankie was at war against Jim at the time... and he's still.
FalconONE
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:11 pm

Frankie is against everything, all the time. RIP Survivor and their legacy.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:09 pm

Andrew wrote:Frankie is against everything, all the time. RIP Survivor and their legacy.

I have to wonder if there's ever been another musician who has sabotaged their own band as much as Sullivan has sabotaged Survivor?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:11 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Andrew wrote:Frankie is against everything, all the time. RIP Survivor and their legacy.

I have to wonder if there's ever been another musician who has sabotaged their own band as much as Sullivan has sabotaged Survivor?

Not in my experience. Utterly appalling.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Eyeof » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:11 am

Hey guys,

If anyone was able to download any of this before it disappeared, please send me a PM.

I seem to have completely missed the boat, which is devastating!
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:54 pm

Have any of you still been listening to the Lost Tapes recordings a lot?

I can't get enough of listening to those recordings!

I'm 100% serious about this, every single time that I listen to the song "Don't Let Me Down Easy" the hair on my arms stands on end and I get goose bumps without fail.

I love most if not all of the other previously unreleased songs as well! Not one of the songs was bad by any means at all.

I hope (not that I'm holding me breath) that Frankie follows through on his comment about letting us hear the tapes that he has!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:04 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:Have any of you still been listening to the Lost Tapes recordings a lot?

Me here...the 82 live with Bickler is still a miracle in my mind, considering how much I/we craved it, but also those unreleased demos with Jimi are absolute gems, Don't let me down easy and Turn to you, or Come inside...I mean, this is still amazing to my ears
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:18 pm

Mikele wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:Have any of you still been listening to the Lost Tapes recordings a lot?

Me here...the 82 live with Bickler is still a miracle in my mind, considering how much I/we craved it, but also those unreleased demos with Jimi are absolute gems, Don't let me down easy and Turn to you, or Come inside...I mean, this is still amazing to my ears

Yeah, I was thrilled to get to hear Bickler era live recordings too! I just wish that the recordings had been professionally recorded.

I loved getting to hear "Live With Me Tonight" "Lorelai" and the demos of songs like "Light Of A Thousand Smiles" and "Summer Nights." I already had the recording of "Missing Persons."

I wish that the recording of "Runaway Heart" from the Too Hot To Sleep sessions had been a full recording and not just a partial. It was still great to hear it though.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:03 pm

In some respects I like the demo of Summer Nights even better than the official CD release. First and foremost I think that Dave's singing of the song is better on the demo than it is on the Premonition album. Late into the song Dave does a quick little thing that is extremely Steve Perry-esque.
There are also some subtle aspects of the guitar playing in the demo that I liked that are not the same or as noticeable in the Premonition release.

Although, I do like a couple of the lyrical changes that appear in the official album release better than on the demo.

If I had to rank the original 7 Survivor albums, Premonition would rank in last place for me. I love the album. But one of the biggest reasons that I would name Premonition last is that they made the almost unforgivable mistake of only putting eight songs on the album.

Maybe if they had added "Live With Me Tonight" and "Missing Persons" to Premonition I might have ranked the album higher? I especially wish that they had added at least two more songs to Premonition that were Rockers similar to Take You On A Saturday and Love Is On My Side.

I really wish that at least "Don't Let Me Down Easy" had been added to Too Hot To Sleep! I wish that "Temperature's Rising" and "Runaway Heart" were also on the THTS album. But I'm not sure if CDs were capable yet at that time of fitting over an hour's worth of music on discs?

Interestingly, Jimi Jamison sang a song on Target's first album called "Let Me Down Easy." It's a good song, but Survivor's "Don't Let Me Down Easy" is the better song by a wide margin.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Previous

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)