RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Frankie Sullivan interviews !

Postby BARON BLOOD » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:40 pm

BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Re: Frankie Sullivan interviews !

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:21 am

I'm watching the first interview, and I'm only about 10 minutes in so far.

Peterik is very open about himself being a big Blood Sweat And Tears fan, he talks about it in his book.

In past interviews like Guitar Player magazine Sullivan mentions thinking that Peterik was one of the best guitarists that he had ever seen back in the early 70s.

Peterik wrote Somewhere in America before Sullivan even knew Peterik.

Peterik has ALWAYS given Sullivan a ton of credit for being a great editor of his (Peterik's) lyrics.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:50 am

More comments that I have as I'm continuing to listen to the interview.....

Peterik goes into detail in his book about the phone call that he (Peterik) received from Stallone about writing a song for Rocky III.
I would believe Peterik on that way before I would believe Sullivan.
Peterik had more success than Frankie up to that point, so it would make more sense to call Peterik than to call only Sullivan.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:57 am

Again, Frankie getting all of his details wrong, (In all likely-hood) Survivor had already auditioned Kevin Chalfant and others before they auditioned Jamison.

I do prefer Jamison over Chalfant seeing as Jamison is my #1 favorite singer of all time. But Chalfant is an awesome singer in his own right!

Also, Sullivan doesn't know the background on Journey and Perry. Perry's diva attitude was the biggest cause of the issues between him and the rest of Journey.

It's hilarious that Sullivan refers to himself as a peacemaker in the band. :lol:

Sullivan is saying that the band members of Survivor would complain when he worked with outsiders like Eddie Money and Heart. Sullivan constantly bitched about Peterik writing songs with other bands/artists like 38 Special.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:44 am

I'm starting to watch the second interview.

Again, Frankie rewriting history, in regards to EOTT in this case.

Frankie doesn't even remember (Or tell the truth about) interviews that he gave in the past.

I myself am no saint when it comes to language. But does Frankie really need to drop f-bombs non-stop? It's not professional, and some people don't like it. I think that he thinks that we're all 12 year olds that are impressed by it? :roll:

Sullivan doesn't even get all of the words right on Survivor songs when he quotes them.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby BARON BLOOD » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:28 am

Never forget that there are 2 sides to every story and Peterik's book is only HIS vision of how things happened. Some things Sullivan said are wrong and it's easy to prove,I agree.It's easy not to like Sullivan after all the bullshit he said in the past but stil,l we haven't been in a band with Peterik in the 70's/80's so who knows how things really happened. No one wants to look bad in interviews or when writing a book. It's never their fault.
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby Pelata » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:35 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:I myself am no saint when it comes to language. But does Frankie really need to drop f-bombs non-stop? It's not professional, and some people don't like it. I think that he thinks that we're all 12 year olds that are impressed by it? :roll:

I feel like, at our age(s), things like language should roll off our backs. It's probably just how he talks.
Pelata
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:05 am

BARON BLOOD wrote:Never forget that there are 2 sides to every story and Peterik's book is only HIS vision of how things happened. Some things Sullivan said are wrong and it's easy to prove,I agree.It's easy not to like Sullivan after all the bullshit he said in the past but stil,l we haven't been in a band with Peterik in the 70's/80's so who knows how things really happened. No one wants to look bad in interviews or when writing a book. It's never their fault.

I will say that I do think that Peterik occasionally exaggerates or makes some things up.

But I feel that Sullivan all out lies a lot, and contradicts things that he has said in the past.

Coincidentally, after watching those interviews that you gave links for, I happened to come across and interview with Sullivan where he also makes mention of Stallone having been a fan of Survivor already before offering them the opportunity to do a song for Rocky III.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:07 am

Pelata wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:I myself am no saint when it comes to language. But does Frankie really need to drop f-bombs non-stop? It's not professional, and some people don't like it. I think that he thinks that we're all 12 year olds that are impressed by it? :roll:

I feel like, at our age(s), things like language should roll off our backs. It's probably just how he talks.

The f-word thing doesn't bother me personally. But I kind of sensed that the female host of the Rocky Files may have been slightly uncomfortable with it?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Pelata » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:26 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Pelata wrote:

The f-word thing doesn't bother me personally. But I kind of sensed that the female host of the Rocky Files may have been slightly uncomfortable with it?

I'm sure she's talked to musicians before...she'll be OK.
Pelata
Cassette Tape

Postby BARON BLOOD » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 am

Yeah I'm quite sure Sullivan said 5 different things concerning the ROCKY song...... Peterik sounds like a sensible prima donna and Sullivan tells bullshit at least 80% of the time he talks.......a really fun duo of people ! What if Bickler would be the only guy who could tell the story as it really happened !
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)