So, who will induct Journey?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

So, who will induct Journey?

Postby livin2do » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:50 pm

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame seems to pull from two pools of people when determining who should induct their new honorees. First, they tend to look at people who are enshrined themselves already, peers who can speak to their experiences with the band. Second, they also will look at newer, emerging artists who are popular now, who can talk to the influence the band may have had on them. There have been impressive, heartfelt tributes seen at times, and a backfire or two along the way. I loved seeing how psyched Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins were to induct Rush. The most obvious misfire I can think of was the Black Keys inducting Steve Miller.

So, who should induct Journey? The best person I can come up with is Sammy Hagar. His connections with the band have been numerous, and he continues to work with Neal from time to time also. Anyone have any better ideas?
livin2do
45 RPM

Re: So, who will induct Journey?

Postby steveo777 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:53 pm

Carlos Santana, Neal's mentor. I'm sure he's proud.
steveo777
MP3

Postby tj » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:07 am

steveo777 wrote:Carlos Santana, Neal's mentor. I'm sure he's proud.

This would be a good choice. I wish that the bands could choose who inducts them. Some of the choices are just stupid.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:22 am

livin2do wrote:The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame seems to pull from two pools of people when determining who should induct their new honorees. First, they tend to look at people who are enshrined themselves already, peers who can speak to their experiences with the band. Second, they also will look at newer, emerging artists who are popular now, who can talk to the influence the band may have had on them. There have been impressive, heartfelt tributes seen at times, and a backfire or two along the way. I loved seeing how psyched Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins were to induct Rush. The most obvious misfire I can think of was the Black Keys inducting Steve Miller.

So, who should induct Journey? The best person I can come up with is Sammy Hagar. His connections with the band have been numerous, and he continues to work with Neal from time to time also. Anyone have any better ideas?

No I agree with you: Sammy Hagar. Carlos was Neal's and Gregg's mentor, but didn't (not to my knowledge anyway) have anyone else from Journey he was involved with? Am I wrong?
bellairepark73
Radio Waves

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:38 am

Randy Jackson. He was once part of the band, and is respected in the industry.
But I also like Sammy and Santana as options.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby jrny84 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:10 am

It would be cool to see Sammy induct them. They might go the route of having someone more current such as-Rob Thomas (Matchbox Twenty), Chad Kroeger (Nickelback), or Chris Daughtry. I know Jon Bon Jovi was influenced by Journey and Steve Perry, coining him "The Voice".

Who knows though, it will be interesting to see what happens....
jrny84
8 Track

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:43 am

A hologram of Sam Cooke should induct Journey into Hall of Fame.
JourneyHard
45 RPM

Postby cinkidd » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:21 am

Herbie. Who should also be inducted.

Rich the Also Guy
Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
cinkidd
45 RPM

Postby scarab » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:45 am

Has a manager ever been inducted? If not, Herbie should be the first. No Herbie No Journey.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:12 pm

scarab wrote:Has a manager ever been inducted? If not, Herbie should be the first. No Herbie No Journey.

That's for sure.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
LP

Postby tj » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:00 am

scarab wrote:Has a manager ever been inducted? If not, Herbie should be the first. No Herbie No Journey.

I could see this being a way for the ROR HOF to keep up annual inductions as they run out of great bands to include. Managers, producers, engineers, album cover artists, etc. The annual ceremony would obviously be different, but it would give people more to see when they visit the actual HOF.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:37 am

Think it needs to be somebody BIG. How about Clapton? Neal's told the story of having had the choice - at age 15 - of either touring w/ Clapton or joining Santana. If he had chosen Clapton, there may never have been a Journey.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby scarab » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:33 am

just please not Rob Thomas. I can't believe he inducted Chicago.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey2Infinity » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:24 am

Not Clapton! He has slighted Neal more than once. Frankly, I think Clapton has been jealous of Neal. Neal could play Clapton's stuff better than Clapton.
Journey2Infinity
Radio Waves

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:13 am

Absolutely NOT Herbie! Anybody BUT him! While Steve has no animosity towards him, he STILL does (see the book written by Neil Daniels, 2010 interview quote)! Sheer disdain. And don't delude yourself into thinking he would keep in check for one night. Not going to happen!!! It would NOT be a pleasant night and most fans don't like him anyway, so it would be awkward and maybe very embarrassing. I foresee a lot of boos and the members of Journey scolding the crowd. Like I said awkward and embarrassing for all involved.
bellairepark73
Radio Waves

Postby tj » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:00 am

Journey2Infinity wrote:Not Clapton! He has slighted Neal more than once. Frankly, I think Clapton has been jealous of Neal. Neal could play Clapton's stuff better than Clapton.

I doubt that Clapton is jealous of anyone. He has had his own very successful career. Neal is one of a thousand great guitarists over the last 50 years of Clapton's career. Many of them are known, many we have never heard of, Clapton has played with all of the best known players ever. Neal, not quite as much.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:01 am

bellairepark73 wrote:Absolutely NOT Herbie! Anybody BUT him! While Steve has no animosity towards him, he STILL does (see the book written by Neil Daniels, 2010 interview quote)! Sheer disdain. And don't delude yourself into thinking he would keep in check for one night. Not going to happen!!! It would NOT be a pleasant night and most fans don't like him anyway, so it would be awkward and maybe very embarrassing. I foresee a lot of boos and the members of Journey scolding the crowd. Like I said awkward and embarrassing for all involved.

Most fans have never heard of Herbie, or any other bands' manager -except maybe Brian Epstein.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:51 am

tj wrote:
Journey2Infinity wrote:Not Clapton! He has slighted Neal more than once. Frankly, I think Clapton has been jealous of Neal. Neal could play Clapton's stuff better than Clapton.

I doubt that Clapton is jealous of anyone. He has had his own very successful career. Neal is one of a thousand great guitarists over the last 50 years of Clapton's career. Many of them are known, many we have never heard of, Clapton has played with all of the best known players ever. Neal, not quite as much.

Whereas I agree that Clapton is probably not jealous of Schon, I do have to mention that Schon has probably played with almost as many legendary players as Clapton has.

I've never made a point of remembering all of the legends that Schon has played with, but some of the famous or even legendary guitarists that Schon has played with that I can name for certain are....
Carlos Santana
Steve Lukather
BB King
Albert King
Eddie Van Halen
Joe Satriani
Less Paul
Slash
Steve Vai
Buddy Guy
Paul Gilbert
Jeff Watson
Brad Gillis

Jimi Hendrix was scheduled to record with the Santana band while Schon was in Santana, but Hendrix died about 3 months before he was supposed to go into the studio with Santana.

There have been way, way more famous and legendary guitarists that Schon has played with that I can't name in specific right now.

And no doubt a long list that I've never even known about playing with him.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:08 am

Yes most fans have heard of Herbie Herbert. I am a very newly rediscovered fan of first Steve then Journey and i couldn't help but know about him. I didn't have to do too much digging.

I forgot some other big names that could: Diana Ross, and Ann and Nancy of Heart. Both were either known to Journey as they were just starting out and Diana when they became famous, she went backstage and took pictures with them when they received their certification of platinum...I forget which album.
Also Herbie Hancock (if he's still with us, hope so), Van Halen, Nuno Bettencourt, Jon Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams, who along with Van Halen was an opening act for them at one and Bryan is (was) a good friend of Steve's.
bellairepark73
Radio Waves

Postby tater1977 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:33 am

Uncle Joe Benson, he's been friends with them for years,
or Mark and Brian, even though they don't work together
anymore.
On missing Steve Perry .. "His intuition. His sensibility. He had a certain panache and style that I clicked with. And there will always be that chemistry that we had. It was the most success that I've ever been associated with." Jon Cain 2011
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:50 am

tater1977 wrote:Uncle Joe Benson, he's been friends with them for years,
or Mark and Brian, even though they don't work together
anymore.

Not known enough. If I wasn't a fan of Steve or Journey, I wouldn't know about them. I agree with a previous statement, it has to be someone BIG! And Diana, Heart, Bon Jovi, Herbie Hancock, Van Halen fits the bill.
bellairepark73
Radio Waves

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:08 am

Eddie Van Halen used to be friends with Neal, and he was a huge fan of Neal's playing. But eventually Eddie seemed to kind of turn against Neal for some reason?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby marco17 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:39 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:Eddie Van Halen used to be friends with Neal, and he was a huge fan of Neal's playing. But eventually Eddie seemed to kind of turn against Neal for some reason?

Eddie would be a big enough name for sure. Since he didn't even show up for the VH HoF induction, I doubt he'd do it for someone else.
marco17
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:02 am

tj wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:Absolutely NOT Herbie! Anybody BUT him! While Steve has no animosity towards him, he STILL does (see the book written by Neil Daniels, 2010 interview quote)! Sheer disdain. And don't delude yourself into thinking he would keep in check for one night. Not going to happen!!! It would NOT be a pleasant night and most fans don't like him anyway, so it would be awkward and maybe very embarrassing. I foresee a lot of boos and the members of Journey scolding the crowd. Like I said awkward and embarrassing for all involved.

Most fans have never heard of Herbie, or any other bands' manager -except maybe Brian Epstein.

By the time Herbie was done the induction speech talking about how great Herbie Herbert is, they'd all know ...
Last edited by DracIsBack on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:03 am

bellairepark73 wrote:Yes most fans have heard of Herbie Herbert

There's a big difference between "Because I'm this way" and "The Journey fanbase is this way"
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:13 pm

DracIsBack is right. If they haven't already, they will by the time he gets finished with his speech to induct his FORMER band. :roll:
Another member postulated Randy Jackson...perfect choice!
Wow, Eddie didn't bother to show for VH's induction?!? Didn't catch that. I'm a Journey head...only familiar with some songs of VH and didn't see that induction. Thanks for that piece of knowledge. Whoa, I certainly hope Steve doesn't do THAT!!! My word.

DracIsBack (didn't quite understand your last statement, though...)
bellairepark73
Radio Waves

Postby SF-Dano » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:20 am

To me, the most logical choice, would be Sammy Hagar. Long history and friendship between him and Neal. Also very familiar with the rest of the guys. Not sure who decides, but if the band gets to choose, I think Sammy should be their choice.
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:10 am

SF-Dano wrote:To me, the most logical choice, would be Sammy Hagar. Long history and friendship between him and Neal. Also very familiar with the rest of the guys. Not sure who decides, but if the band gets to choose, I think Sammy should be their choice.

Hagar is a great idea. But I wonder if he'll do it because Journey is not "cool", unlike his Cabo Wabo personality.
Even though back in the 70's and 80's they sounded very similar musically.
Randy would be a great choice as well, but really only is Perry showed - which I am sure he wont decide until the day or day before.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby jrny84 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:03 am

scarab wrote:
SF-Dano wrote:To me, the most logical choice, would be Sammy Hagar. Long history and friendship between him and Neal. Also very familiar with the rest of the guys. Not sure who decides, but if the band gets to choose, I think Sammy should be their choice.

Hagar is a great idea. But I wonder if he'll do it because Journey is not "cool", unlike his Cabo Wabo personality.
Even though back in the 70's and 80's they sounded very similar musically.
Randy would be a great choice as well, but really only is Perry showed - which I am sure he wont decide until the day or day before.

I definitely think he would do it and would want to. I've seen interviews with Hagar where he said Journey is one of the most underrated and talented bands that deserve far more respect. He's also worked with Perry and Schon and really respects the band as a whole. I could easily see him and/or Carlos Santana doing it. Another singer that is a huge fan of Journey w/Perry and toured with them is Bryan Adams.

As far as Eddie Van Halen, I read that he refused to do a tour with Journey back in the 1990s. Would love to know what the reason was. Hopefully its not because he doesn't think they're "relevent", "hip", or "cool".
jrny84
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:17 am

bellairepark73 wrote:DracIsBack (didn't quite understand your last statement, though...)

I don't think most Journey fans in the world have any clue who Herbie Herbert is. I think most people in Melodic Rock forums probably do, but I doubt we represent the broader user base in any significant way.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Next

Return to Journey