Why different versions of the album?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Why different versions of the album?

Postby tj » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:50 am

Why do artists put out different versions of the same album? For example, Arrival had tracks on the Japanese version that were not on the US version. Or, as I understand it, Perry's new album contains different tracks depending on where you buy it. Is it just a money making thing, get you to buy multiple versions of the same album, or something else?
tj
Cassette Tape

Re: Why different versions of the album?

Postby Memorex » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:51 am

tj wrote:Why do artists put out different versions of the same album? For example, Arrival had tracks on the Japanese version that were not on the US version. Or, as I understand it, Perry's new album contains different tracks depending on where you buy it. Is it just a money making thing, get you to buy multiple versions of the same album, or something else?

Marketing. If the Target CD had the same track listing as Spotify or Pandora, why go buy it? Too many people stream music now. I'll tell you, I bought 3 or 4 versions of Rick Springfield's Songs For The End Of The World album because I wanted all those songs.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Memorex wrote:
tj wrote:Why do artists put out different versions of the same album? For example, Arrival had tracks on the Japanese version that were not on the US version. Or, as I understand it, Perry's new album contains different tracks depending on where you buy it. Is it just a money making thing, get you to buy multiple versions of the same album, or something else?

Marketing. If the Target CD had the same track listing as Spotify or Pandora, why go buy it? Too many people stream music now. I'll tell you, I bought 3 or 4 versions of Rick Springfield's Songs For The End Of The World album because I wanted all those songs.

So, are the additional Target songs not available on the streaming services? I live in the country with really poor quality internet, so I don't stream anything.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 pm

tj wrote:
Memorex wrote:

So, are the additional Target songs not available on the streaming services? I live in the country with really poor quality internet, so I don't stream anything.

I use Spotify (rarely) and I looked and it's just the ten.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:50 pm

In the case of Japanese bonus songs, it is done because in Japan imported CD's from the US outsell the Japan version of the CD. Therefore, Sony Japan release the bonus songs as an incentive to buy the Japan version. At least that used to be the case back when Arrival was released....with streaming, digital downloads, and CD's not being nearly as popular, it may have changed.

Perry probably has a marketing deal with Target and therefore wants you to buy the CD there.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Memorex wrote:

True, but you can buy the CD at Wal-Mart, but not with the extra songs....so it's not just about the streaming services. He made some type of deal with Target.

I did look and the Wal-Mart "exclusive" contains a poster. Kinda oddly interesting.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Return to Journey