Finally, a JRNY/JSS boot

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby swepett » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:56 am

Barb wrote:No problem -- I'm glad I could figure it all out. I've never downloaded a bit torrent before! It's a beautiful sunny day today, but I'm being lazy and sitting in the house anyway! :lol:

And now that you know what to do, welcome to the pot of gold that Dime is. And those of you who gave up, think of all you are missing! :)
swepett
Ol' 78

Postby swepett » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:07 am

finalfight wrote:Just try to remember when listening to the recording that JSS is by all accounts putting on quite a performance and covering a lot of ground on stage. I am sure it is a whole lot easier to stay in tune when stood (or sat) fairly stationary whilst singing. To be honest though I would almost rather he did stand still though so that we could get a better grasp of how he sings the songs. He is probably sooo excited to be up there that he can't keep still!

True. And it is live. Back in the days when SA was doing his thing live, he didn't nail everything 100 % live either. I downloaded a boot from Osaka in 98 from Dime and Augeri does a smashing job but he is far from nailing every song 100 %. But that's live for you, and creates that tension I love with a live setting.

And hearing that he's not perfect when he's playing live is also something to think about when deciding if those Euro shows were lip-synched or not.

finalfight wrote:Perhaps someone will be kind enough to upload the four Journey tracks that JSS recorded in the studio and reportedly hid on his website for download before they went AWOL.

Yes, please! That would be really interesting to hear!
swepett
Ol' 78

Postby DarwinNebraska » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:09 am

I'm no big Journey fan, but it doesn't work with Soto.

It's Perry / Augeri or bust.
DarwinNebraska
LP

Postby FormerJrnyFan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:15 am

Clasicrockldy wrote:I totally agree NIG ! Wooohoo...... I am liking this boot ! :D

Hey, me too!!! :D
... I will ALWAYS be a Sototarian
FormerJrnyFan
Stereo LP

Postby joybringer1 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:21 am

swepett wrote:
neilmaclookalike wrote:its obvious Jrny will have to "tune down" a semi tone to help the guy out... and please do it fast guys..save JSS's embarrasment (this is of course much harder to do if "backing tapes" of vocals are involved...

Ah, of course! Why didn't I think of that. If they still are using pre-recorded backing vocals, they can't just meet at soundcheck and decided to transpose a couple of tunes.

I would wager the 200 or so pounds I spent on airfares, hotels and tickets in the UK to see a taped performance that they're still using pre-recorded backing vocals - they are just too pitch-perfect compared to JSS. I could well imagine his voice going the same way as Augeri's if he continues struggling with notes which are clearly outside his normal range. I think anyone listening to this excellent quality boot must be wondering how the reviews can be so fantastic and I guess it's like someone else said, that JSS is such a great showman that you don't notice how poor he sounds in places when you get caught up in the atmosphere of it all.

After the huge build up I'm very disappointed with Jeff singing Journey. I'd be interested to hear Rockndeano's opinion of it, and whether he still thinks Journey are back on track with JSS at the helm.
joybringer1
Ol' 78

Postby conversationpc » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:26 am

joybringer1 wrote:I think anyone listening to this excellent quality boot must be wondering how the reviews can be so fantastic and I guess it's like someone else said, that JSS is such a great showman that you don't notice how poor he sounds in places when you get caught up in the atmosphere of it all.

That's part of it. The big part of it for me is how close you are to the stage. I live about a mile from Verizon Wireless Music Center in Noblesville, IN (where Journey is playing next week) and have been to several shows there. The closer you are to the stage, the harder it is to make out all the individual instruments and vocals clearly. As cool as it is to be up close to the stage and be able to more easily see the guys and how they interact with each other and the crowd, it's also more difficult to hear the music correctly with all that noise from being so close to the stage. I saw Boston from the lawn section there as well as Journey and the sound is so much better that I'd almost rather never sit close to the stage again. So anyway, I'm sure the noise plays a big part in not being able to tell very easily if the singer, whoever it happens to be, is having an off night.
My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:37 am

Barb,

Thanks a ton for posting the files. You are too cool!

Thanks again,

Aaron
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Stereo LP

Re: JSS Boot

Postby NealIsGod » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:38 am

aorgeneral wrote:my pick for temporary replacement would have been Tony Mills, one listen to Sunset and Vine and you'll be convinced!

:P The best CD of this young century so far, IMO.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby JrnySuxBalls » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:47 am

swepett wrote:
Barb wrote:No problem -- I'm glad I could figure it all out. I've never downloaded a bit torrent before! It's a beautiful sunny day today, but I'm being lazy and sitting in the house anyway! :lol:

And now that you know what to do, welcome to the pot of gold that Dime is. And those of you who gave up, think of all you are missing! :)

Yes, I've been on that for awhile. A new series of Soul Sirkus boots on there now. :wink:
JrnySuxBalls
8 Track

Postby Argus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:51 am

NCT=no click track :shock: I think this is as live as it gets folks, warts and all there is an energy there that can't be dismissed :wink:
~*~ Please behave before I have to slap you naked and hide your clothes! ~*~ Argus-eyed = carefully observant or attentive; on the lookout for possible danger ~~Blog Link
Argus
8 Track

Postby swepett » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:02 am

ace wrote:NCT=no click track :shock: I think this is as live as it gets folks, warts and all there is an energy there that can't be dismissed :wink:

They would have to use a click track if they are going to play along to those pre-recorded backup vocals.
swepett
Ol' 78

Postby Argus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:26 am

swepett wrote:
ace wrote:NCT=no click track :shock: I think this is as live as it gets folks, warts and all there is an energy there that can't be dismissed :wink:

They would have to use a click track if they are going to play along to those pre-recorded backup vocals.

True but listen to the tempo of the songs.. maybe everyone is singing live :?:
~*~ Please behave before I have to slap you naked and hide your clothes! ~*~ Argus-eyed = carefully observant or attentive; on the lookout for possible danger ~~Blog Link
Argus
8 Track

Postby JrnySuxBalls » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:31 am

Put a metronome to a song...you'll find out quick if they're using a click. :wink:
JrnySuxBalls
8 Track

Postby Argus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:33 am

JDouglee wrote:Put a metronome to a song...you'll find out quick if they're using a click. :wink:

I don't have one, did you check :?: I'm going by the click track in my head :wink:
Argus
8 Track

Postby JrnySuxBalls » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:34 am

ace wrote:
JDouglee wrote:Put a metronome to a song...you'll find out quick if they're using a click. :wink:

I don't have one, did you check :?: I'm going by the click track in my head :wink:

Really? That's cool, I just have voices in mine. :lol:
JrnySuxBalls
8 Track

Postby swepett » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:39 am

Who in the band is counting in DSB? Why does a song starting with a solo piano have to be counted in anyway? Why not just start playing the piano? Same thing with "Wheel in the sky". A quick listen to the same song on "Greatest Hits Live" and there is only Neal playing the guitar riff without any drummer counting him off. Think about it.
swepett
Ol' 78

Postby JrnySuxBalls » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:47 am

Hey I dunno for sure, but I checked my metronome & sequencer...it's somewhere between
131 & 132 BPM (Ask the Lonely). Maybe it's drifting, because the pitch of the recording is correct.

Could they be "live?" I mean the bg vocals sound pretty perfect, but I can't get a click to lock on it.
Weird.
Last edited by JrnySuxBalls on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JrnySuxBalls
8 Track

Postby Argus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:47 am

swepett wrote:Who in the band is counting in DSB? Why does a song starting with a solo piano have to be counted in anyway? Why not just start playing the piano? Same thing with "Wheel in the sky". A quick listen to the same song on "Greatest Hits Live" and there is only Neal playing the guitar riff without any drummer counting him off. Think about it.

Not sure what you are asking here :?: bands always count off song beginnings IIRC and mostly the drummer does it :wink:
Argus
8 Track

Postby Argus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:48 am

JDouglee wrote:Hey I dunno for sure, but I checked my metronome & sequencer...it's somewhere between
131 & 132 BPM (Ask the Lonely). Maybe it's drifting, because the pitch of the recording is correct.

Could they be "live?" I mean the bg vocals sound pretty perfect, but I can't get a click to lock on it.
Weird.

See :wink: the click track in my head is thinking live all the way :!:
Argus
8 Track

Postby swepett » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:50 am

ace wrote:Not sure what you are asking here :?: bands always count off song beginnings IIRC and mostly the drummer does it :wink:

No, bands don't always do that. If it is a song starting with the guitar player playing a riff alone, he just starts playing. If the drummer have to count him off, it can be because the drummer has the click track in his ears. Doesn't have to, but can be.
Last edited by swepett on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
swepett
Ol' 78

Postby JrnySuxBalls » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:50 am

The only thing I can think of...maybe they have some sort of "human feel" click track generated
somehow...

Hmm. :?:
JrnySuxBalls
8 Track

Postby Jeremey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:57 am

The click track is going through the in ear monitors - Deen doesn't have to count anything at all....If Neal is starting a song, whoever is controlling the sequence starts it, and he hears a predetermined count-in that he starts with.

I saw the show last night in Charlotte and absolutely they were using a sequencer with background vocals.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby Argus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:03 am

Jeremey wrote:The click track is going through the in ear monitors - Deen doesn't have to count anything at all....If Neal is starting a song, whoever is controlling the sequence starts it, and he hears a predetermined count-in that he starts with.

I saw the show last night in Charlotte and absolutely they were using a sequencer with background vocals.

Did Deen count :?:
Argus
8 Track

Postby Andrew » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:09 am

NealIsGod wrote::shock: WTF happens at 1:38 into Only the Young? Did Ross goose JSS's ass or something? :lol:

LOL....the beauty of LIVE rock n roll!!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Jeremey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:26 am

ace wrote:

I am not sure what you mean - Deen counts, he's an integral part of the band, now more than ever. But he wouldn't necessarily have to count off songs if the click track is giving the count in through the in ear monitor system. People can riff and solo and whatever, just as long as they pause when the click track counts in. I don't remember what song they went into last night from Jonathan's Barry Manilow-style piano solo, but as he hit the last note there would have been plenty of time to hit the GO button.

Jonathan played rhythm guitar on Chain Reaction, so I will guarantee you that there were sequences used. Which was an odd choice...Why Jonathan would allow the keyboards to be played phantom-like along with the band on a song that so prominently features keyboards, instead of just multitracking a rhythm guitar part, or just having a roadie offstage play rhythm guitar.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby Argus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:33 am

Jeremey wrote:
ace wrote:

I am not sure what you mean - Deen counts, he's an integral part of the band, now more than ever. But he wouldn't necessarily have to count off songs if the click track is giving the count in through the in ear monitor system. People can riff and solo and whatever, just as long as they pause when the click track counts in. I don't remember what song they went into last night from Jonathan's Barry Manilow-style piano solo, but as he hit the last note there would have been plenty of time to hit the GO button.

Jonathan played rhythm guitar on Chain Reaction, so I will guarantee you that there were sequences used. Which was an odd choice...Why Jonathan would allow the keyboards to be played phantom-like along with the band on a song that so prominently features keyboards, instead of just multitracking a rhythm guitar part, or just having a roadie offstage play rhythm guitar.

I meant did Deen count off the songs :?: like 1 2 3 4 :?: and as far as sequences that are non-vocal, that's not what I was asking. Do you feel that there was a click track used (cause some of those songs sound faster than normal) and were there vocal backup tracks used :?:
Argus
8 Track

Postby brywool » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:58 am

THANKS FOR THE LINKS!!! Will definitely be checking this out...
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

jss boot

Postby aorgeneral » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:00 am

NO CLICK TRACK!!! Are you kidding!! every song is counted, every member has the click in their earphone monitors, and those bground vocals are FAKE!!! I am a musician for 32 years and have played in many projects including an AOR band that had a cd on Long Island Records and believe me those bgrounds are enhanced BIG TIME. just check out who's crying now, if deen is singing who is doing the High harmony ,certainly not jeff!
aorgeneral
Radio Waves

Postby Jeremey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:07 am

ace wrote:
I meant did Deen count off the songs :?: like 1 2 3 4 :?: and as far as sequences that are non-vocal, that's not what I was asking. Do you feel that there was a click track used (cause some of those songs sound faster than normal) and were there vocal backup tracks used :?:

• Deen did not count off many of the songs...To be honest I wasn't paying much attention to whether he was hitting the high hat before every song. But it wouldn't have been necessary

• Yes, as they have done every tour since 1986, they used prerecorded background vocals. Even the Houston 1981 DVD has background vocals added in the studio after the concert. The acoustics were so screwy though I couldn't tell if Augeri's voice was in the mix. They were using a very sparkly chorus & EQing effect on the background vocals.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby larryfromnextdoor » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:10 am

Jeremey wrote:
ace wrote:

• Deen did not count off many of the songs...To be honest I wasn't paying much attention to whether he was hitting the high hat before every song. But it wouldn't have been necessary

• Yes, as they have done every tour since 1986, they used prerecorded background vocals. Even the Houston 1981 DVD has background vocals added in the studio after the concert. The acoustics were so screwy though I couldn't tell if Augeri's voice was in the mix. They were using a very sparkly chorus & EQing effect on the background vocals.

i have "too late" from the early 80's where the back ground is out of sync with the entire song,, was a tape then i guess,,if not ,, its very strange sounding,,
larryfromnextdoor
MP3

PreviousNext

Return to Journey