Finally, a JRNY/JSS boot

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby mnmsjrny » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:11 am

arrivalrules wrote:And even though I already have it, the board should give a big shout out to Barb for posting the entire show. :!:

AMEN! Downloading file by file as I type. A friend was at this show and was underwhelmed, so I'm curious to take a listen. A bootleg in '98 helped me get over the Perry/Augeri issue, soooo we'll see. ;)
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby Jeremey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:12 am

LarryFromNextDoor wrote:
i have "too late" from the early 80's where the back ground is out of sync with the entire song,, was a tape then i guess,,if not ,, its very strange sounding,,

I may have heard that too from a MR-X show posted several months ago, maybe Escape in Japan or something. I was thinking the band was just way off on that...Don't believe Steve Smith ever played with a click track.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby mnmsjrny » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:12 am

oops double post
Last edited by mnmsjrny on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby Barb » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:13 am

Hi Michelle!

mnmsjrny wrote:
arrivalrules wrote:And even though I already have it, the board should give a big shout out to Barb for posting the entire show. :!:

AMEN! Downloading file by file as I type. A friend was at this show and was underwhelmed, so I'm curious to take a listen. A bootleg in '98 helped me get over the Perry/Augeri issue, soooo we'll see. ;)
Barb
Cassette Tape

Postby conversationpc » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:14 am

Jeremey wrote:I may have heard that too from a MR-X show posted several months ago, maybe Escape in Japan or something. I was thinking the band was just way off on that...Don't believe Steve Smith ever played with a click track.

I remember reading an interview with Smith not long ago where he said that had to learn to play along to a click track years ago and that he could do it now if he needed to. I can't remember the particular question but it had something to do with the ROR sessions. Perhaps it was one of the reasons he was dumped by Perry back then.
My blog = Dave's Dominion
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Re: jss boot

Postby Argus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:17 am

aorgeneral wrote:NO CLICK TRACK!!! Are you kidding!! every song is counted, every member has the click in their earphone monitors, and those bground vocals are FAKE!!! I am a musician for 32 years and have played in many projects including an AOR band that had a cd on Long Island Records and believe me those bgrounds are enhanced BIG TIME. just check out who's crying now, if deen is singing who is doing the High harmony ,certainly not jeff!

:shock: throttle back dude. A couple of questions for ya. Were you at this concert I am asking about and why can't the guys throw the track to the wind on some songs and just wing it? Some of the clips sound very rushed to my ears, that's all. :wink:
~*~ Please behave before I have to slap you naked and hide your clothes! ~*~ Argus-eyed = carefully observant or attentive; on the lookout for possible danger ~~Blog Link
Argus
8 Track

Postby larryfromnextdoor » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:18 am

Jeremey wrote:
LarryFromNextDoor wrote:
i have "too late" from the early 80's where the back ground is out of sync with the entire song,, was a tape then i guess,,if not ,, its very strange sounding,,

I may have heard that too from a MR-X show posted several months ago, maybe Escape in Japan or something. I was thinking the band was just way off on that...Don't believe Steve Smith ever played with a click track.

man ,, ur right on,, tokyo, i think
larryfromnextdoor
MP3

Postby Jeremey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:20 am

conversationpc wrote:
I remember reading an interview with Smith not long ago where he said that had to learn to play along to a click track years ago and that he could do it now if he needed to. I can't remember the particular question but it had something to do with the ROR sessions. Perhaps it was one of the reasons he was dumped by Perry back then.

I'm getting my info from an interview with Steve Smith from about a year ago, I believe he mentioned that when they were recording ROR, the songs were being written on sequencers in band members' home studios, and he was having to try to play with loops and click tracks, and he was just too old school for the whole thing. Then he mentioned by the time they recorded Trial By Fire he was an absolute pro at it.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby larryfromnextdoor » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:20 am

LarryFromNextDoor wrote:
Jeremey wrote:
LarryFromNextDoor wrote:

this sounds sync'd , or out of sync,, back ground anyway ,, with neal bad out of tune,,sounds like perry singing back up,,
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... D36DFBD550
larryfromnextdoor
MP3

Postby conversationpc » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:24 am

Jeremey wrote:
conversationpc wrote:

I'm getting my info from an interview with Steve Smith from about a year ago, I believe he mentioned that when they were recording ROR, the songs were being written on sequencers in band members' home studios, and he was having to try to play with loops and click tracks, and he was just too old school for the whole thing. Then he mentioned by the time they recorded Trial By Fire he was an absolute pro at it.

That's what I remember as well.
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby mnmsjrny » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:31 am

Hi Barb! Hotter than hell where you are too eh?? I *should* be figuring out what to do about dinner right now, but the idea of cooking isn't all that enticing.

Thanks again for this, gonna have to stop my quiet Sunday of Journey/Perry ballads that I've been listening to and hit play...

Barb wrote:Hi Michelle!

mnmsjrny wrote:

mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby Barb » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:31 am

Larry what show is that from? The sound quality is great!! Is that on the Dime site?

LarryFromNextDoor wrote:
LarryFromNextDoor wrote:
Jeremey wrote:
LarryFromNextDoor wrote:

this sounds sync'd , or out of sync,, back ground anyway ,, with neal bad out of tune,,sounds like perry singing back up,,
Barb
Cassette Tape

Postby larryfromnextdoor » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:33 am

Barb wrote:Larry what show is that from? The sound quality is great!! Is that on the Dime site?

LarryFromNextDoor wrote:
LarryFromNextDoor wrote:
Jeremey wrote:
LarryFromNextDoor wrote:

i think its tokyo 81,, andrew gave it to us on mr.x a few months ago,, its great!!! he may have to repost those shows!!!
larryfromnextdoor
MP3

Postby conversationpc » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:36 am

Well, after listening to the whole show, my opinion is that Deen is definitely the star of the show. He sings the songs he does better than Soto does the others. I will say that Soto sings the rock tunes much better than the pop tunes (like "Ask the Lonely") or ballads (like "Lights").

Soto sounds like he's straining his voice on several of those tunes and I can't see him lasting long singing these tunes. I don't think he sounds much better than Augeri did over the last couple of years on some of those tunes.

On the other hand, I thought he sounded great on "Chain Reaction" and "Separate Ways".
conversationpc
Super Audio CD

Postby aorgeneral » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:44 am

throttle back dude. A couple of questions for ya. Were you at this concert I am asking about and why can't the guys throw the track to the wind on some songs and just wing it? Some of the clips sound very rushed to my ears, that's all. :wink:[/quote]

Sorry ace I didnt mean to offend! :( I agree 100 % songs sound rushed. They havent had real bvocals for a loooooooooong time as Jeremy points out, I cant see them winging it.
aorgeneral
Radio Waves

Postby FormerJrnyFan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:49 am

conversationpc wrote:... I don't think he sounds much better than Augeri did over the last couple of years on some of those tunes.

I must respectfully disagree with that statement :wink:
... I will ALWAYS be a Sototarian
FormerJrnyFan
Stereo LP

Postby Jeremey » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:50 am

conversationpc wrote:Well, after listening to the whole show, my opinion is that Deen is definitely the star of the show. He sings the songs he does better than Soto does the others. I will say that Soto sings the rock tunes much better than the pop tunes (like "Ask the Lonely") or ballads (like "Lights").

Soto sounds like he's straining his voice on several of those tunes and I can't see him lasting long singing these tunes. I don't think he sounds much better than Augeri did over the last couple of years on some of those tunes.

On the other hand, I thought he sounded great on "Chain Reaction" and "Separate Ways".

After last night's show, I don't believe JSS will be long term with the band, I wouldn't be surprised to see Augeri make a grand re-entrance sometime before the end of the tour. Jeff's range is being tested on the majority of these songs, and he sounds a lot like he is shouting or screaming (not literally, like in a bad way, but screaming the way a rock singer will belt out songs) a lot of the material. He is laying back on the very high stuff, like the "yes I'm ooooon my wayayayayayay" in Escape, to allow Deen to cover them, though it's nearly indistinguishable. Last night was only show #3 or 4 with Jeff, and I believe he values his voice way too much to blow it out on a summer temp job with Journey.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby FormerJrnyFan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:51 am

aorgeneral wrote:throttle back...

I love that!

Hello fellow NY'er!
... I will ALWAYS be a Sototarian
FormerJrnyFan
Stereo LP

Postby larryfromnextdoor » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:56 am

Jeremey wrote:
conversationpc wrote:Well, after listening to the whole show, my opinion is that Deen is definitely the star of the show. He sings the songs he does better than Soto does the others. I will say that Soto sings the rock tunes much better than the pop tunes (like "Ask the Lonely") or ballads (like "Lights").

After last night's show, I don't believe JSS will be long term with the band, I wouldn't be surprised to see Augeri make a grand re-entrance sometime before the end of the tour. Jeff's range is being tested on the majority of these songs, and he sounds a lot like he is shouting or screaming (not literally, like in a bad way, but screaming the way a rock singer will belt out songs) a lot of the material. He is laying back on the very high stuff, like the "yes I'm ooooon my wayayayayayay" in Escape, to allow Deen to cover them, though it's nearly indistinguishable. Last night was only show #3 or 4 with Jeff, and I believe he values his voice way too much to blow it out on a summer temp job with Journey.

dude your modest in everyway ,, knowing u could and can do it as well as anyone, or better,, i can not believe that is you singing on "i stand alone" on your site,, id love to hear u belt out with "the band",, keep it up !!!!
larryfromnextdoor
MP3

Postby Moon Beam » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:00 pm

conversationpc wrote:On the other hand, I thought he sounded great on "Chain Reaction" and "Separate Ways".

Here, here I think his pipes sounded great on those tunes.
While Lights just didn't strike me as one he aced.
http://moonbeamsmindgrounds.blogspot.com/
Good, Bad Or Ugly, Live It, Love It Or Leave It.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Postby china7 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:05 pm

First time to this site, and it's a really cool site. Dean kicks major butt, JSS is really good too, but Dean gets to sing the "voice friendly" songs. I'm sure JSS could sing three songs a lot better, rather than tackling all of Steve Perry's songs...ya know what I mean?

People are giving JSS crap, but I'm sure if roles were reversed, JSS would sound a lot better than he does :? But Dean nails Steve Perry which is wild!
china7
Fresh Air

Postby Blueskies » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:11 pm

LarryFromNextDoor wrote:
LarryFromNextDoor wrote:
Jeremey wrote:
LarryFromNextDoor wrote:

Thanx for this. I laughed so hard I almost blew chunks when SP says "Thats our DOUBLE live album" in a little irritated chuckle, refering to the BGVT echoing :lol:
Blueskies
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Moon Beam » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:13 pm

Welcome to the boards China7 glad you decided to post with us!

LARRY get your ass in line fella Jeremey is coming to
South Western Ontario before Texas if I have anything to say about it.
Right Jeremey? :wink:
http://moonbeamsmindgrounds.blogspot.com/
Good, Bad Or Ugly, Live It, Love It Or Leave It.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Postby mnmsjrny » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Well, I've started my second round, and gonna have to agree that the rockers are the ones that worked the best, but Jeff is having a hard time and will blow out his voice if he has to do this long-term. (WTF is going on during "Wheel in the Sky" -- dear lord!) God bless Deen and here's hoping his pipes hold out or this is gonna be one loooooooooooooooong summer.
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby Big J » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:16 pm

God, I feel so late in chiming in. Just downloaded, havent listened to the whole show yet.

I'm a big fan of JSS's previous work. I think he's an outstanding singer.

This catalog is just out of his range. I wondered why they dropped FITH so fast...no question why now.

He needs to go back to what he does best, his music in his range, and not expect a permanent gig in Journey if its offered. He'll be done in one tour if he does. Permanently.

Wheel is just brutal. Ask the Lonely and Only the Young sounded rough. I actually liked what he did with Separate Ways, but if you cant hit the 'NOOOOOs' you ruin the song, and he can't.

Stone in Love was the worst track to me...I love that song, and it's just BAD here.

Maybe just an off night, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but Steve...get well soon!
Big J
8 Track

Postby Big J » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:20 pm

Listening to Open Arms now. Jesus Christ....

:shock: :D :!:
Big J
8 Track

Postby Clasicrockldy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:22 pm

This was Jeff's first night singing for Journey, so I think he needs a break. Let's see if any other boots surface from other concerts before making a decision.

FITH might not be on the set list because Jeff might not know the material?
:D
Image Image

"Friends are the family that you choose."
Clasicrockldy
Stereo LP

Postby The Fly » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:22 pm

Barb wrote:I don't really like it either. Not a good fit.

arrivalrules wrote:Ok, I am a fan of JSS. However, this pairing sounds odd. I will go see it in Atlantic City for sure. However, Augeri was a better fit from 98-04. That's ok though. A new recording and laying off the "dirty dozen" is what will work for this lineup IMO.

Still think Queen should have chosen Jeff. He sounds amazing doing that material.

I am sorry but I am gagging.... I am trying to like this I really am. This is just what I feared.... Not a good fit is putting it lightly. :cry:
The Fly
45 RPM

Postby Clasicrockldy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:32 pm

Big J wrote:Listening to Open Arms now. Jesus Christ....

:shock: :D :!:

BigJ, That is Deen Castronovo singing "Open Arms". He also does "Who's Cryin' Now". :D
Image Image

"Friends are the family that you choose."
Clasicrockldy
Stereo LP

Postby Big J » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:33 pm

Clasicrockldy wrote:This was Jeff's first night singing for Journey, so I think he needs a break. Let's see if any other boots surface from other concerts before making a decision.

FITH might not be on the set list because Jeff might not know the material?
:D

No, this is a week in. He sang Faithfully the first night. Deen does here.

He sang FITH the second night...but he's only done it once IIRC. No clue how it sounded.

No doubt he deserves a break...this is the toughest catalog in rock to sing...Boston might be harder just because Brad Delp's voice was so weird...but this is an incredibly tough job. He's clearly trying SO hard, and I know he's a great singer and takes a lot of pride in his performance, this has gotta be killing him.

I've heard Jeff a lot. I've never heard him sound this bad.
Big J
8 Track

PreviousNext

Return to Journey