Famous "Voice Change"....take 2

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Famous "Voice Change"....take 2

Postby sngrchk04 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:26 am

Hey, do you remember when I started this thread approx. 6 months ago?

Well, recently I found this article regarding how he changed his voice :D

To read the entire thing, go here:

http://www.steveperryonline.net/archive/news121698.html

"...As strange as it sounds, (the solo albums) were an attempt to change my voice," Perry explains. "I started listening to what the song called for instead of sing the same voice that came out of me on everything. I would just hope that the fans would appreciate my work and have the open minds to look into the solo side."

"...But there was other music in Perry's soul as well, and after Schon recorded two solo albums, the singer decided it was time for him to step out as well. So after the group's marathon 1983 tour, he started work on Street Talk. Perry says, he went after a live-sounding soul album. "If you listen to Street Talk, you'll notice there was a certain texture and guttural type of thing I did to my voice to try to achieve a different texture," he explains. Part of that was recording early in the day, when his voice was still "gruff." "

:arrow: Not trying to start a fight; just thought I'd pass this along... :wink:
http://www.noradalby.freewebspace.com

~* "11th House" - 04.11.06 *~
sngrchk04
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:53 am

Yeah, I've seen that.
Also, in one the old Journey force newsletters, around the time of Frontiers, Perry also talked about the band ambitiously taking full advantage of his untapped immense lower vocal range & power on the forthcoming Frontiers LP.
Of course, I believe personally that they were just doing "damage controll" & trying to compensate for a then yet hardly detectable natural age-attributed change that happens to MANY singers over time. Perry's vocal change only became really noticeable during ROR (and even then he was good).
Nothing to be ashamed of, really.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby sngrchk04 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:25 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote: Yeah, I've seen that.
Also, in one the old Journey force newsletters, around the time of Frontiers, Perry also talked about the band ambitiously taking full advantage of his untapped immense lower vocal range & power on the forthcoming Frontiers LP.
Of course, I believe personally that they were just doing "damage controll" & trying to compensate for a then yet hardly detectable natural age-attributed change that happens to MANY singers over time. Perry's vocal change only became really noticeable during ROR (and even then he was good).

I hear ya, but earlier today, I was listening to "Strung Out" on "GH+5". Steve TOTALLY captured his "Escape" ( and earlier, IMO) sound....but, again, that type of delivery is EXACTLY what a "Motown" type song calls for.

Especially at the bridge:

"STRUUUUUUUNG OUT! STRU-U-U-U-U-NG OOOOOOOOOOUT - TA TA TA TA!!!"

....and this was AFTER "Frontiers". GOOD LORD!! :shock:

Nothing to be ashamed of, really.

Nope; not at all.....I'm ALL for change....

sngrchk04
45 RPM

Postby Marabelle » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:56 am

I think he can do whatever he wants to do with that Voice. I don't know what's going on with the Voice now; but I think in the "days and years of that Voice" he was able to do whatever gyration he wanted melodically.

I don't know about Motown and his voice; it's a totally different style of music; but he is or was an immensely talented man vocally.

I don't see him singing Motown music. You think? Well, maybe Marvin Gaye...Let's Get it On! Well, you might have a point.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:58 am

Marabelle wrote:
I don't see him singing Motown music. You think? Well, maybe Marvin Gaye...Let's Get it On! Well, you might have a point.

How can you not? A good portion of "Street Talk" was clearly motown influenced. Perry should release an album of Motown covers much like Michael McDonald has (to great succes, i might add) it'd be great.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Liz22562 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:49 am

Years ago I lived in California and Steve Perry called into one of the radio stations to sing Happy Birthday to one of the morning drive-time DJ's. He put his own spin on the song which he gave a 'bluesy' touch -- it was great.

I also agree with you Nobel Cause...I think Steve Perry would sound wonderful covering some Motown tunes.
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby sngrchk04 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:19 am

Liz22562 wrote:Years ago I lived in California and Steve Perry called into one of the radio stations to sing Happy Birthday to one of the morning drive-time DJ's. He put his own spin on the song which he gave a 'bluesy' touch -- it was great.

I also agree with you Nobel Cause...I think Steve Perry would sound wonderful covering some Motown tunes.

Oh my GOD!! Was that a guy who called himself "Uncle Brian"??

I live in CT, but a boot of that song, "Happy Happy Birthday, Brian" (to the tune of "Happy Happy Birthday, Baby") has been out circulating.

It's hilarious!!! It seems like Steve has a great sense of humor.

sngrchk04
45 RPM

Postby Marabelle » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:30 pm

Really! Motown influenced. I can't really even imagine Steve being able to pull that off. I have never heard Street Talk; so maybe he can. I suppose he has a lot more soul than I imagine. It would be fun, creative and an entirely different genre of music for a rock n roll, balladeer!
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Fernando Ramirez » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:39 pm

I read he was a big Sam Cooke fan, and that this guy influenced his singing in his formative years.
Fernando Ramirez
45 RPM

Postby Liz22562 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:12 am

Sngrchk04,

It was "Mark & Brian" in the morning. I don't remember Brian being called Uncle Brian...but then I'm recalling events from 23 years ago. It was back in 1981-1982 that Steve Perry would call in several times a year to talk to these two. He actually had a great sense of humor and would always make fun of his own nose. Steve Perry & Journey was Brian's favorite singer and band so Mark set it up for Steve to call in and sing to Brian at the end of the show.

Just thought I would pass on a little trivia...didn't mean to take up the message board with silliness.

Here's to Good Times!
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby Rockindeano » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:51 am

Sam Cooke was even mentioned in the song, "Captured by the Moment," where he talks of musical influences....

"the 4 who sang to Let it Be"
"LA Motel, one sad mistake took Sam away" referring to the fire in the said motel..

Heck, to the one who hasn't heard Street Talk, it is very if not almost all Motown vibe...Believe It, She's Mine, were very soulsy.......

To sngrchk- The voice obviously changed, no one can argue that, however, I don't think it changed all because Perry wanted it to. All you have to do is see Perry sing Patiently live during their first year on tour, and there isn't a voice comparable...anywhere...My hunch says, after the Escape Tour, Perry overused his voice...there was an interview where Neal was poking fun at Perry saying during the recording of Escape, small animals would come to the back door of the studio!!! because of the high pitch vokes..... I honestly think it could be a combination of overusage, and aging...it happens...and I might add Augeri seems to be batlling the problem of voice dissapearance lately, eh? That too, happens...More excercises Augee!!
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:50 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:I honestly think it could be a combination of overusage, and aging...it happens...and I might add Augeri seems to be batlling the problem of voice dissapearance lately, eh? That too, happens...More excercises Augee!!

I disagree.
Yes, Deen is now filling in & covering for some of Augeri's unreachable high parts in certain songs, but you know what?
Augeri was never able to hit them as far back as 98.

Deen's vocals are a wondeful inclusion to an already good band, however, they are not compensating for any new precipitous drop in Augeri's vocal ability.
Augeri is as capable as he's always been.
I have boots from 2000 and now and his voice if anything, has improved (more control, more range).
I am actually impressed that his voice has held up up as well as it has.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:42 pm

I disagree.
Yes, Deen is now filling in & covering for some of Augeri's unreachable high parts in certain songs, but you know what?
Augeri was never able to hit them as far back as 98.

Deen's vocals are a wondeful inclusion to an already good band, however, they are not compensating for any new precipitous drop in Augeri's vocal ability.
Augeri is as capable as he's always been.
I have boots from 2000 and now and his voice if anything, has improved (more control, more range).
I am actually impressed that his voice has held up up as well as it has.[/quote]

Oh, hold on...In no way am I saying Augee is not good enough...What I was saying, or trying to anyway, was that his voice, imo(and what the Hell does that matter right?), is perhaps Perrys' chords were either just stronger, more durable, or both...I love Steve Augeri, but if you look at the Main Event tour, he did labour a little...yes and thar can happen to anyone I know...I just don't remember Perry ever labouring(sorry, it's theCanuck in me), as much as Augeri. I am sure Augee does excercises, and still has a coac too. I even read that on BT earlier. So, basically, I was just off handily sounding off on a not very well researched opinion, and for that I apologize...I just want to say that I have taken voice lessons too, and it just seems to me that Perry had a stronger voice..tha's all..please do not read too much into this, I love and respect both men immensely!!

Dean
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:52 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:Oh, hold on...In no way am I saying Augee is not good enough...

Well I am. If they truly wanted to move out of Perry's shadow they should have gotten a singer that could match if not surpass Perry's talent. Augeri is good, but Chalfant was the clear way to go.

Rock'ndeano wrote:I was just off handily sounding off on a not very well researched opinion, and for that I apologize...tha's all..please do not read too much into this, I love and respect both men immensely!!

Why the need to stoop to such fawning apologetic antics?
You haven't offended me.
I already said Augeri is no Perry and routinely can't hit high notes.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:21 am

Noble Cause said---
If they truly wanted to move out of Perry's shadow they should have gotten a singer that could match if not surpass Perry's talent. Augeri is good, but Chalfant was the clear way to go.

My response--
Haven't you been reading? I already have declared no other singer better than Steve Perry! lol, Yeah, a little humour, but, I still don't think anyone could surpass Perry, I really don't, not even Chalfant.

Noble Cause again--
Why the need to stoop to such fawning apologetic antics?
You haven't offended me.
I already said Augeri is no Perry and routinely can't hit high notes.[/quote]

My response again-
Because I was being a knowitall, and you are right in the fact Steve Augeri routinely does miss the high notes, but again, who the Hell could hit them 100% of the time except Steve Perry 22 years ago?

I need to learn how to do the response thingy majig..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Marabelle » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:08 am

Who wrote there was a fire in said hotel? Sam Cooke was mudered by a hotel clerk after having an arranged meeting with a woman there. I think the story goes the woman had taken Sam's clothes and fled and Sam came downstairs partially clothed and the clerk blew him away. That is how I believe came the end of Sam in a hotel in L.A. partially clothed after having a rendevous with a woman. I may be wrong but I don't believe there was a fire; it was a gun.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:45 am

Marabelle wrote:Who wrote there was a fire in said hotel? Sam Cooke was mudered by a hotel clerk after having an arranged meeting with a woman there. I think the story goes the woman had taken Sam's clothes and fled and Sam came downstairs partially clothed and the clerk blew him away. That is how I believe came the end of Sam in a hotel in L.A. partially clothed after having a rendevous with a woman. I may be wrong but I don't believe there was a fire; it was a gun.

I am the moron who wrote that...Totally had a HUGE brain fart on that one...Was thinking of something/someone else...My apologies..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:58 am

Rockn'deano~Maybe you were just thinking of another line in the song reffering to Jim Morrison "tried to set the night on fire".

As to the topic, I too think much of the press about the different sound in the vocals was 'damage-control'. Sort of a pre-emptive strike. I love what Perry was able to do with his changing voice. He actually became more emotive once is voice changed. I see no disgrace in Perry's voice changing...but I do not think it was all intentional.

Nora~nice to see you again (how is the CD coming?)
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby sngrchk04 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:22 am

jrnyman28 wrote:Rockn'deano~Maybe you were just thinking of another line in the song reffering to Jim Morrison "tried to set the night on fire".

As to the topic, I too think much of the press about the different sound in the vocals was 'damage-control'. Sort of a pre-emptive strike. I love what Perry was able to do with his changing voice. He actually became more emotive once is voice changed. I see no disgrace in Perry's voice changing...but I do not think it was all intentional.

Nora~nice to see you again (how is the CD coming?)

Hey, Dave.....looks like you've been playing "catch-up" :wink:

I agree with you regarding Steve's changing voice....MUCH more emotive....love EVERY SECOND of it.

The CD is coming together, right on schedule.....I'm very proud of the songs we're doing....no political agenda; depressing themes; just FUN MUSIC FOR MUSIC'S SAKE.....y'know, like how it used to be?

We're just a reflection of the era we grew up in.....and that era is the 80s....

sngrchk04
45 RPM

Postby Abitaman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:06 pm

Because I was being a knowitall, and you are right in the fact Steve Augeri routinely does miss the high notes, but again, who the Hell could hit them 100% of the time except Steve Perry 22 years ago?

I have some boots of Perry in the 90's were he was not up to par. I ahve a couple of songs were he sounds horrible. Maybe he was sing, or having a bad day. I don not know, but I know Perry IS NOT A GOD. Even he wasn't perfect, and to me he IS the voice of rock. Augeri is on his level as in Kevin Chalfant. And both have great voices and are still in the music business, and care for their fans.

Dennis DeYoung, another vocalist I like, has suffered with age, still good, but even in his prime, he to was perfect-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Abitaman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:07 pm

yea I agree with all I said above with out the whole thing being a quote.-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:49 pm

sngrchk04 wrote:Hey, Dave.....looks like you've been playing "catch-up" :wink:

I agree with you regarding Steve's changing voice....MUCH more emotive....love EVERY SECOND of it.

The CD is coming together, right on schedule.....I'm very proud of the songs we're doing....no political agenda; depressing themes; just FUN MUSIC FOR MUSIC'S SAKE.....y'know, like how it used to be?

We're just a reflection of the era we grew up in.....and that era is the 80s....

Yes...catch-up!
Glad things are going well...and I look forward to some good ole fashioned fun music!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Return to Journey