Page 1 of 1

Anyone have Steve Perry's set lists during solo tours???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:11 am
by JourneyTroll
Hi there,

Does anyone know the years that Steve Perry toured without Journey? Also, can someone list the songs that were played during his solo concerts? Finally, was Steve Perry's band any good in concert?

Journeytroll

Re: Anyone have Steve Perry's set lists during solo tours???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:28 am
by Squidward24
JourneyTroll wrote:Hi there,

Does anyone know the years that Steve Perry toured without Journey? Also, can someone list the songs that were played during his solo concerts? Finally, was Steve Perry's band any good in concert?

Journeytroll


He only toured for his FTLOSM album. I left my book of setlists is at home, but I will bring it in tomorrow and give you the exact set both times I saw him.

Yes his band was good, I have an audience recording of one show from that tour, and they sound awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:12 pm
by Bamamutt
I didn't get a set list when I caught several of the shows on the FTLOSM tour..I know of two that might have a copy..

The crowds I saw were really into the shows and the guys in the band royally rocked...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:04 am
by mystichealer
I never caught Steve and his band live, but i do have numerous audio and video recordings of some of the shows in support of 'FTLOSM'.

His vocals were awesome, no matter what the Perry loathers say. The band themselves were amazing too, and its such a crying shame that they only did the one cd and tour together. They were a superb and very talented bunch of musicians.


MH.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:14 am
by mystichealer
Set list for Toronto 94

Only the young
Girl can't help it
Oh Sherrie
Lights
Foolish Heart
You better wait
Somewhere there's hope
Missing you
Listen to your heart
I'll be alright without you
Guitar solo
Wheel in the sky
Dixie Highway
(Tuxedo Chat) bit of fun
Lovin, touchin, squeezin
Anyway you want it
Separate ways

encores
Don't stop believing
Faithfully

MH.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:45 pm
by The_Noble_Cause
mystichealer wrote:
His vocals were awesome, no matter what the Perry loathers say.


Yeah, if you're a big fan of the raspy vocal stylings of Rod "the mod" Stewart and/or Louie "Satchmo" Armstrong.
In all seriousness, his range was severely truncated by the time of the FTLOSM tour. He still had a good voice though. I own plenty of FTLOSM boots and it never ceases to amaze me how he would go about in different ways to reach those high notes and do his best to retain a song's original power
He would still hit the requesite high notes (more or less)he would just go about doing so in different ways.
Heck, Open Arms sounds almost like a different song almost from all the tinkering he does to the main chorus.

NOTE: Not a bad song, just different.

I have boots available if you want to see..err, hear, exactly what I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:55 am
by JourneyTroll
mystichealer wrote:Set list for Toronto 94

Only the young
Girl can't help it
Oh Sherrie
Lights
Foolish Heart
You better wait
Somewhere there's hope
Missing you
Listen to your heart
I'll be alright without you
Guitar solo
Wheel in the sky
Dixie Highway
(Tuxedo Chat) bit of fun
Lovin, touchin, squeezin
Anyway you want it
Separate ways

encores
Don't stop believing
Faithfully

MH.


That's an awesome set list. I love "I'll be alright without you."

So, Steve Perry never toured solo in 1984 or 1988?

Journeytroll

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:04 am
by mystichealer
The only solo tour that Steve Perry has done is the 'FTLOSM' tour of 94. He never toured before that, and he has not toured since.

Take up the offer given to you by 'The Noble Cause'. They really were great shows.


MH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:09 am
by mystichealer
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
mystichealer wrote:
His vocals were awesome, no matter what the Perry loathers say.


Yeah, if you're a big fan of the raspy vocal stylings of Rod "the mod" Stewart and/or Louie "Satchmo" Armstrong.
In all seriousness, his range was severely truncated by the time of the FTLOSM tour. He still had a good voice though. I own plenty of FTLOSM boots and it never ceases to amaze me how he would go about in different ways to reach those high notes and do his best to retain a song's original power
He would still hit the requesite high notes (more or less)he would just go about doing so in different ways.
Heck, Open Arms sounds almost like a different song almost from all the tinkering he does to the main chorus.

NOTE: Not a bad song, just different.

I have boots available if you want to see..err, hear, exactly what I mean.



I understand what you are saying regarding the raspy vocals on that tour inparticularly.
I actually prefer Perry with the raspiness to be honest.
I also know what you mean regarding the way he sung a lot of the songs differently on that tour, but its pleasant to hear the songs slightly differently too i feel.

Good points you make though.


MH.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:37 am
by Squidward24
mystichealer wrote:Set list for Toronto 94

Only the young
Girl can't help it
Oh Sherrie
Lights
Foolish Heart
You better wait
Somewhere there's hope
Missing you
Listen to your heart
I'll be alright without you
Guitar solo
Wheel in the sky
Dixie Highway
(Tuxedo Chat) bit of fun
Lovin, touchin, squeezin
Anyway you want it
Separate ways

encores
Don't stop believing
Faithfully

MH.



That's the same set for both Detorit shows.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:43 am
by SomedayExcitedAgain
Steve Perry's only solo tour was a far cry from a "solo" tour. I saw him in Atlanta and was very disappointed not in his voice, but in the setlist chosen. Yeah, I expected to hear some Journey tunes, but I also expected to hear more Perry tunes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:55 pm
by Squidward24
SomedayExcitedAgain wrote:Steve Perry's only solo tour was a far cry from a "solo" tour. I saw him in Atlanta and was very disappointed not in his voice, but in the setlist chosen. Yeah, I expected to hear some Journey tunes, but I also expected to hear more Perry tunes.


Funny you should say that, I felt the same as well. While it was cool to hear the Journey stuff...come on only 6 solo tunes out of 17. That said, I still enjoyed the show until this heffer of a chick decided that she thought she would shower me with her 'knowledge of all things Journey'

Anyway, did you know that Lincoln Brewster, the guiter player quit after that tour and is now (or was) the music director at his church.