Peers

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Peers

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:53 am

What do you all think about musical peers of Journey? For instance, I know Sammy and Neal are buddies, and Jon Waite too. However, how about others like say Springsteen, U2, or even someone like ZZtop??? Has anyone heard of other artists respecting the talent in this band?

Thanks
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Fernando Ramirez » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:16 am

I remember reading quite a few years ago in one of my guitar magazines (Guitar for the Practicing Musician) that some of the guys in IRON MAIDEN liked Journey's music. They thought the music was fantastic, and they used to play it on the PA before their shows. They said they could never understand why sometimes the crowd booed, because they respected the music, and thought it was good.
Fernando Ramirez
45 RPM

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:45 am

Joe Perry, Eddie Van Halen and Steven Vai have all said on the record that Neal is a great guitarist.

Postby sngrchk04 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:21 am

VH-1 interviewed Scott Ian (I think that's his name....bald guy w/ "tie-dyed" looking goatee from the group Anthrax) on some "top 40" show about "Open Arms"...

...and HE - of ALL PEOPLE - said:

"Is there NOT A DAY when that song is NOT running in a continuous tape-loop in my head???"

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://www.noradalby.freewebspace.com

~* "11th House" - 04.11.06 *~
sngrchk04
45 RPM

Postby Fernando Ramirez » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:34 am

See? Isn't that funny? With IRON MAIDEN first, then ANTHRAX... I guess since those big bad metal musicians listen to Journey ... Journey must be a really cool band.
Fernando Ramirez
45 RPM

Re: Peers

Postby LAWoman » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:18 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:What do you all think about musical peers of Journey? For instance, I know Sammy and Neal are buddies, and Jon Waite too. However, how about others like say Springsteen, U2, or even someone like ZZtop??? Has anyone heard of other artists respecting the talent in this band?

Thanks

Clapton recognized Neal's talent years ago and apparently he is still a fan. He said he chose the artists to perform at his Crossroads Festival by making a list of the people he likes to listen to. Then he asked them if they would come and play and they all said yes. So Clapton chose a bunch of the greats like BB King, Jeff Beck and Neal Schon.
LAWoman
45 RPM

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:28 pm

Thanks for the replies so far..

Remember USA for Africa? I can see Perry there singing.. I would love to be a fly on the wall hearing Bruce, Huey Lewis, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Cyndi Lauper and the others(except for Michael J, because he frankly creeps me out), talk about Perry and his voice and the Band as well. I am sure they all have mutual respect, but let's face it, some of those folks really weren't all that talented, like Sheila E, and Kim Carnes...

I would love to Bruce and Journey do a tour..never happen though, Bruce plays about a week and half long every night
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:28 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:Thanks for the replies so far..

Remember USA for Africa? I can see Perry there singing.. I would love to be a fly on the wall hearing Bruce, Huey Lewis, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Cyndi Lauper and the others(except for Michael J, because he frankly creeps me out), talk about Perry and his voice and the Band as well. I am sure they all have mutual respect, but let's face it, some of those folks really weren't all that talented, like Sheila E, and Kim Carnes...

I would love to Bruce and Journey do a tour..never happen though, Bruce plays about a week and half long every night
I saw Springsteen two summers ago and, while it was long by today's standards, he doesn't do those legendary marathon shows he used to.
No complaints here though....he was everything I heard he was and more, live!

Postby yak » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:23 am

Remember USA for Africa? I can see Perry there singing.. I would love to be a fly on the wall hearing Bruce, Huey Lewis, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Cyndi Lauper and the others(except for Michael J, because he frankly creeps me out), talk about Perry and his voice and the Band as well

Perry chided Cyndi Lauper that night for knocking his song off the charts with hers at the time. Also read that the singers were advised to leave their egos at the door that evening. That would no doubt include Perry. Since they all think/thought they were the best, why would they be ...excuse the pun... singing the praises of the others there?

MJ IS a creep....and probably really believes in his own warped little mind that he has done nothing wrong.
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby Liz22562 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:02 am

I saw a documentary once on the making of USA for Africa.

Yakov you are correct in that all the singers were told to keep their ego's at the door. As a matter of fact, Bob Dylan wanted to quit because he didn't feel he sounded good enough to add his voice to the solo part he was given. It was, in fact, several of the other singers that helped him through his part and stood by him while he was recording. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't remember the few that were helping him, though Bruce Springsteen comes to mind.

I never got the impression while I was watching the program that any of them had an ego. In fact, when Ray Charles was doing his part, most of the group became mesmerized!

Just my 2 cents....
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:23 am

Liz22562 wrote:I saw a documentary once on the making of USA for Africa.

Yakov you are correct in that all the singers were told to keep their ego's at the door. As a matter of fact, Bob Dylan wanted to quit because he didn't feel he sounded good enough to add his voice to the solo part he was given. It was, in fact, several of the other singers that helped him through his part and stood by him while he was recording. Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't remember the few that were helping him, though Bruce Springsteen comes to mind.

I never got the impression while I was watching the program that any of them had an ego. In fact, when Ray Charles was doing his part, most of the group became mesmerized!

Just my 2 cents....
I remember reading the same Dylan/Springsteen thing as well. It also said Perry had such a hard time sleeping because it was an emotionally draining experience that he called Lionel Ritchie.
If I remember correctly the article was in Time magazine.

Postby Liz22562 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:01 am

I read that article also, Shawriff. Was it Time magazine or Life? Good article either way.
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby yak » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Liz22562 wrote:I never got the impression while I was watching the program that any of them had an ego.

Maybe that's because they were told to leave all egos at the door? All singers have egos. Some more than others. Take Diana Ross, for instance. The stories about her being a tyrant are legendary. She wasn't that great.

I liked Springsteen on the video. That gritty voice was cool.
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:30 pm

Liz22562 wrote:I read that article also, Shawriff. Was it Time magazine or Life? Good article either way.
I think you're right Liz. It was Life.

Postby perryfaithful » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:34 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote: some of those folks really weren't all that talented, like Sheila E

The Sheila E that just toured with Prince??
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:57 am

The Sheila E that just toured with Prince??[/quote]

Yeah, lol, that one. My God, she was paid to perform?? Jesus...
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby perryfaithful » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:01 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:The Sheila E that just toured with Prince??

Yeah, lol, that one. My God, she was paid to perform?? Jesus...[/quote]

Well, the crowd went WILD for her at Madison Square Garden
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:05 am

Well, the crowd went WILD for her at Madison Square Garden[/quote]

Madison Square Garden? you're joking right? How the Hell can she sell tix to a venue like that? Must have been opening for someone.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby perryfaithful » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:19 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:Well, the crowd went WILD for her at Madison Square Garden

Madison Square Garden? you're joking right? How the Hell can she sell tix to a venue like that? Must have been opening for someone.[/quote]

She performed WITH Prince midway thru the show
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:44 pm

perryfaithful wrote:
Rock'ndeano wrote:Well, the crowd went WILD for her at Madison Square Garden

Madison Square Garden? you're joking right? How the Hell can she sell tix to a venue like that? Must have been opening for someone.

She performed WITH Prince midway thru the show[/quote] She backed up Prince when I saw him on the Purple Rain tour back in 1985.
Glamorous Life was her big hit then. In that show, Prince came on during her set and played Erotic City.
She wasn't a bad opener...

Return to Journey