Hugo's Band

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Hugo's Band

Postby Free » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:10 am

Hey, I know this happened awhile back but why did Eddie Jelley leave Hugo's band?

I don't think anyone had Neal down more than him.

Free
Free
45 RPM

Postby Abitaman » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:44 pm

I don't know why, but Hugo's band is very good. He like Kevin Chalfant's have done the Journey sound for some time now. They have put out more new music than Journey too. Hugo vocals are awesome. If things haad been different, Hugo may have been a good choice to front Journey.-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Kuroneko1 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:34 am

Well I also think that Hugo is an excellent singer&song writer. I have the first 2 Hugo albums and open skys album. Although he has a great voice, he is still not as perfect as Perry (you cant beat the king can you).

I think his voice would not sound too good on a Journey album not because he would not pull it off but he would sound like a straight Perry copy.

Yes, Augeri sounds like Perry too but he has his own vocal trademark stamped all over the arrival album. I prefer Hugo as the solo artist and really cant wait to get his new album.
Kuroneko1
Radio Waves

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:05 pm

Abitaman wrote:I don't know why, but Hugo's band is very good. He like Kevin Chalfant's have done the Journey sound for some time now. They have put out more new music than Journey too. Hugo vocals are awesome. If things haad been different, Hugo may have been a good choice to front Journey.-ERIC

Hmmm, Hugo has put out ONE CD in the past 5 years at least.
Kevin on the other hand has been involved with three CDs in the past 5 years or so.
Hugo would have made Journey appear as if they were simply ripping off Perry, hiding behind him. There would have been NO chance of Journey moving forward.
Journey may be moving slow but I like the direction they are headed.
I can't wait for the new material.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:04 am

Hugo had 2 cds before "HUGO" Open Skyz and Valentine. His first solo was in 97, then 2000 and 2003.
I agree with the comment, with the direction Journey is going now.-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:56 pm

I know Hugo has more work out there, but the comment was comparing what Journey has done recently. So I was comparing Hugo of the last 5-7 years with Journey of the last 5-7 years.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Line Of Fire » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:39 am

Journey may be moving slow but I like the direction they are headed.
I can't wait for the new material.

I totally agree...
Line Of Fire
Radio Waves

Postby mystichealer » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:06 pm

Hugo actually auditioned for the band before Augeri got the gig. I have it on good authority that although Neal and Jon Cain liked his vocals, they told him that they did not want a Perry clone fronting the band.

MH.
mystichealer
Ol' 78

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:08 am

Actually, Hugo did not audition. He spoke to the guys but did not actually audition...they DID come to the conclusion that Journey did not want a clone of Perry.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Line Of Fire » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:30 am

jrnyman28 wrote:Actually, Hugo did not audition. He spoke to the guys but did not actually audition...they DID come to the conclusion that Journey did not want a clone of Perry.

True...I remember Neal saying someone sent him a tape of Hugo...Neal was quoted as saying (here @ MR.com in an interview, I believe) that it would have "been too weird" to have Hugo (referencing his uncanny vocal resemblance of Perry).
Line Of Fire
Radio Waves

Return to Journey