HoB Concert

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

HoB Concert

Postby RoyalOakRoadie » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:14 am

Anyone have the scoop on who showed up as special guests, the set list, etc?
"Strange how laughter looks like crying with no sound: raindrops taste like tears without the pain"
RoyalOakRoadie
Ol' 78

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:10 am

Aynsley and Robert Fleischman played on Wheel In The Sky.
Smitty played on the next 4-5 tracks.

The set list was pretty much the same as the recent tour. Jon did Just The Same Way, Deen sang Mother, Father. Ross and Steve sang Walks Like A Lady. Neal did Voodoo Chile and the Star Spangled Banner.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Paul_UK » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:04 am

So Perry never made it onto the stage then?!
Paul_UK
45 RPM

Postby Calbear94 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:25 am

I too was hoping for Perry to make an appearance at the concert, but I realize now how unrealistic that was. It is a good sign that Perry could even be moved to appear at the same place and time as the rest of the band. I think he felt like he had to do it though. You could kind of see it in his face at the podium. After giving his 30 second "this is because all of you" speech, he turns to exit the podium and he is handed something by one of the organizers (perhaps), and he gives this expression like "do I have to do this?" It could have just been surprise, but it did look like he felt inconvenienced by the request.

This may open the door to communication over new projects from the vault, but it didn't appear that any deep friendships were re-kindled.
Calbear94
45 RPM

Postby perryfaithful » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:32 pm

Calbear94 wrote:I too was hoping for Perry to make an appearance at the concert, but I realize now how unrealistic that was. It is a good sign that Perry could even be moved to appear at the same place and time as the rest of the band. I think he felt like he had to do it though. You could kind of see it in his face at the podium. After giving his 30 second "this is because all of you" speech, he turns to exit the podium and he is handed something by one of the organizers (perhaps), and he gives this expression like "do I have to do this?" It could have just been surprise, but it did look like he felt inconvenienced by the request.

This may open the door to communication over new projects from the vault, but it didn't appear that any deep friendships were re-kindled.

So you were there?
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Calbear94 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:35 pm

No, but ABC-LA had quite a nice news segment on the ceremony. It was about twice as long as the one linked-to online.
Calbear94
45 RPM

Postby mnmsjrny » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:06 pm

No on Perry.

Fleischman & Dunbar on Wheel in the Sky
Dunbar on Lights
Smith on Walks Like a Lady, Chain Reaction, & Voodoo Chile/Gyspy Queen (which was so incredibly awesome I can't even describe it.)
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby Rockindeano » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:27 pm

Calbear94 wrote:I too was hoping for Perry to make an appearance at the concert, but I realize now how unrealistic that was. It is a good sign that Perry could even be moved to appear at the same place and time as the rest of the band. I think he felt like he had to do it though. You could kind of see it in his face at the podium. After giving his 30 second "this is because all of you" speech, he turns to exit the podium and he is handed something by one of the organizers (perhaps), and he gives this expression like "do I have to do this?" It could have just been surprise, but it did look like he felt inconvenienced by the request.

:roll:

It's people like you Calbear, a some shitassed moron who "reports on matters" without even being there, starting jibber jabber crap that isn't true, but hey, you watched the news. Dude, you were NOT there but you know Perry was inconvenienced. Let me file a report, because I WAS there.

At 1130A, the gates opened and Mr. Perry walked out first. It seemed as though the band let him go out solo for a few seconds then quickly joined him. Perry was overwhelmed by the reception and reaction, and immediately went and stood behind someone.. However, after thunderous applause, it was just too much. Neal embraced Perry, complete with ear to ear smiles, and same with Cain and Perry. Perry then became really comfortable and seemed to enjoy things at this moment. Neal spoke first, thanking Mr. Herbie Herbert and all the members. Next Steve Perry went to the podium and thanked Herbie Herbert with grace and sincerity..So, already you are wrong on one of your assumptions....
Secondly, you say Perry had a "do I have to do this" attitude. Yeah dude, you weren't there but you watched ABC news so now you are informed..lol
Perry not only spoke LONGER than anyone else(Your second failure), He is the only person to turn to the street side and face the majority of fans and speak of all the members he came into contact with, saying things like, "Steve Machine Gun Smith, Songwriting extraordinaire Jonathan Cain, and Magic Fingers neal Schon(a few times with this one). Perry also stuck around as long or longer than anyone else signing everything and meeting anyone who came up to him within reasonable time constraints. So you are full of shit, and really shouldn't be an at home reporter.

As to only being a ceremony and no freindships rekindled, I can't say, because I wasn't in their conversations, but if you WERE there, and SAW for real what was happening, you would see that the smiles and hugs were sincere, and I would expect these guys to expand on the momentum of this event. Look, if they ever hope to get to Cleveland, and they will, they need to be speaking to one another, and today was a good stepping stone. Everyone in this Band has class..
Oh, btw, talk about class. When Perry was at first a little shy, it was Augeri who came from across the row of members and approached Perry and shook his hand, and Augeri did not speak..guy has tons of class.
Dude, next time you "report" on something, try actually going to the fucking event!!

ANDREW- sorry to go off, and I'm not into rolling people or namecalling, but this is the shit that starts bad rumours and starts fights. I am sorry but I thought it needed being said.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby perryfaithful » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:40 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:
ANDREW- sorry to go off, and I'm not into rolling people or namecalling, but this is the shit that starts bad rumours and starts fights. I am sorry but I thought it needed being said.

Exactly what I thought! That is why I asked the CB if he had been there

Thanks Rockn for bringing the REAL stuff!!!
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Paul_UK » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:24 am

Sounds like a massive step to rebuilding bridges thought were burned.

I just hope that they treat Augeri with the respect he deserves if the Perry/Journey thing does go forward from here. The man is awesome and has acted in the most professional manner in the face of such harsh criticism at times from "fans".

May the Journey continue, in whatever shape of form.
Paul_UK
45 RPM

Postby Calbear94 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:02 am

you would see that the smiles and hugs were sincere

They are performers making a high-profile public appearance...of course there would be all smiles.

Neal embraced Perry, complete with ear to ear smiles, and same with Cain and Perry. Perry then became really comfortable and seemed to enjoy things at this moment.

OK, so Neal reached out to Perry in a way. It was not the first time Neal has tried to extend an olive branch to Perry. Perry looked very stiff at that moment, not nearly as relaxed as you imply. How close were you to the front...there was a sizeable crowd there. I am asking, because you can be at a sporting event, for example, and not see a close play, whereas on TV you get the benefit of up-close camera shot. Given that we are both trying to read Perry from a distance, your opinion is no more valid than mine absence evidence to the contrary.

Secondly, you say Perry had a "do I have to do this" attitude.

Take a look at the expression on his face. I wouldn't expect you to interpret his expression the same way as I did, because you obviously want to come to the conclusion that this event is the start of something between Perry and Neal and the rest of the band ("and I would expect these guys to expand on the momentum of this event").

Everyone in this Band has class.. Oh, btw, talk about class.

Your post had almost zero class, and we are supposed to accept your self-annointment as the ultimate arbiter of class? Your hollow apology at the end is like the one a child tends to give after doing something they know is wrong...if you truly felt remorse, you'd have taken a different tone in your post. This will be my last post in this thread.
Calbear94
45 RPM

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:12 am

Calbear94 wrote:
you would see that the smiles and hugs were sincere

They are performers making a high-profile public appearance...of course there would be all smiles.

Neal embraced Perry, complete with ear to ear smiles, and same with Cain and Perry. Perry then became really comfortable and seemed to enjoy things at this moment.

OK, so Neal reached out to Perry in a way. It was not the first time Neal has tried to extend an olive branch to Perry. Perry looked very stiff at that moment, not nearly as relaxed as you imply. How close were you to the front...there was a sizeable crowd there. I am asking, because you can be at a sporting event, for example, and not see a close play, whereas on TV you get the benefit of up-close camera shot. Given that we are both trying to read Perry from a distance, your opinion is no more valid than mine absence evidence to the contrary.

Secondly, you say Perry had a "do I have to do this" attitude.

Take a look at the expression on his face. I wouldn't expect you to interpret his expression the same way as I did, because you obviously want to come to the conclusion that this event is the start of something between Perry and Neal and the rest of the band ("and I would expect these guys to expand on the momentum of this event").

Everyone in this Band has class.. Oh, btw, talk about class.

Your post had almost zero class, and we are supposed to accept your self-annointment as the ultimate arbiter of class? Your hollow apology at the end is like the one a child tends to give after doing something they know is wrong...if you truly felt remorse, you'd have taken a different tone in your post. This will be my last post in this thread.

Oh I wasn't in any way apologizing to you, Calcubbie.....

By the way, I was right smack in front of those guys and about 2 deep. I am 6'5 and saw Perry probably before anyone else did. And to go back to your "do I have to do this attitude crap"......AGAIN, Perry spoke longer than anyone else...period!!
So it took a monumental ceremony to start to build the bridge. So what? If anyone was there, they would probably all agree that the event, the smiles, the hugs were all genuine and sincere, and the dialogue lately between Neal and Perry have been more..as in more invites, more discussions of future projects and more of Neal asking Steve to sing....

There is no way I'm apologizing to you..Oh, and nice Holiday Bowl.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Abitaman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:25 am

If Perry does come back, I hope their Augeri project still gets released. Still would rather see Journey with Augeri, although Perry is the voice of Rock.-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:59 am

Fabulous to see - but I still don't see Perry returning to the band.

Nothing against him or anyone else, I just think he prefers life out of the limelight and is comfortable doing what he does these days.

Good luck to everyone whatever the future holds.

Above all else, I was very pleased to see Perry show up - very classy and big points to him.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:16 am

Andrew wrote:Fabulous to see - but I still don't see Perry returning to the band.

Nothing against him or anyone else, I just think he prefers life out of the limelight and is comfortable doing what he does these days.

Good luck to everyone whatever the future holds.

Above all else, I was very pleased to see Perry show up - very classy and big points to him.
I agree Andrew. I'm glad Perry showed up and happy for those to take in the event live. Maybe it's as simple as Perry just wanting to have an ordinary life. I say good for him!

Postby Liz22562 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:11 pm

Shawriff, I think you hit the nail on the head. I think Steve Perry wants to have an ordinary life also.

I remember reading an interview (I apologize I don't remember where) in which he stated that he had entertained for so many years, that for now, all he wanted to do was to 'be' entertained (i.e. going to the movies, broadway shows, etc). What's wrong with that?

God Bless him...his life is for him to live and enjoy any way he wishes. I am thrilled he showed up at the WOF - it was wonderful seeing those guys together - if only for a short while.

Looking forward to seeing Journey in Tampa again....
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:36 pm

Liz22562 wrote:Shawriff, I think you hit the nail on the head. I think Steve Perry wants to have an ordinary life also.

I remember reading an interview (I apologize I don't remember where) in which he stated that he had entertained for so many years, that for now, all he wanted to do was to 'be' entertained (i.e. going to the <a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=<a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=movies">movies</a>"><a target="_blank" href="http://searchmiracle.com/text/search.php?qq=movies">movies</a></a>, broadway shows, etc). What's wrong with that?

God Bless him...his life is for him to live and enjoy any way he wishes. I am thrilled he showed up at the WOF - it was wonderful seeing those guys together - if only for a short while.

Looking forward to seeing Journey in Tampa again....
Looking forward to seeing them somewhere in New England! :wink:

Postby Monker » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:27 pm

So it took a monumental ceremony to start to build the bridge.

A bridge to what? Maybe it's to Perry's telephone so HE can answer it instead of his lawyers?

I mean, come on, it's great that Perry showed up and all...He SHOULD HAVE been there. But, this isn't his second coming. Or, would it be his third? Whatever.

So what? If anyone was there, they would probably all agree that the event, the smiles, the hugs were all genuine and sincere, and the dialogue lately between Neal and Perry have been more..as in more invites, more discussions of future projects and more of Neal asking Steve to sing....

Steve Perry isn't going to sing, in or OUT of Journey. How many times, and different ways, does Perry himself have to say that before people like you believe him?

You should. You are way overboard.
Monker
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:52 pm

Monker wrote:
Steve Perry isn't going to sing, in or OUT of Journey. How many times, and different ways, does Perry himself have to say that before people like you believe him?

Oh, I'm sorry Monker. I forgot you call Steve everyday, and confirm this. When is the last time Neal Schon has even referenced the guy? Well guess what, he did about three times in three days. What Perry can never sing again? Is he too old? Is he too lazy? Guess what? The guy is a singer by birth, and it will always live in him. Hell Mick Jagger is 10 years older and he still does it.

You should. You are way overboard.

Oh, I'm sorry Monker. I forgot you call Steve everyday, and confirm this. When is the last time Neal Schon has even referenced the guy? Well guess what, he did about three times in three days. What Perry can never sing again? Is he too old? Is he too lazy? Guess what? The guy is a singer by birth, and it will always live in him. Hell Mick Jagger is 10 years older and he still does it.

Hell no. Tell me why I should apologize to a guy who is sitting in his living room making assumptions while watching the freaking news? That's like me reporting on Abu Graib while in Canada on vacation. All I'm trying to get across, is...if people don't have concrete evidence or at least some factual take on matters, stop the bullshit speculation.....
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby perryfaithful » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:19 pm

[quote="Monker"]

Monker My Man....how is it you like your crow prepared?
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:16 am

perryfaithful wrote:
Monker wrote:
Monker My Man....how is it you like your crow prepared?

Right.
Like you were truly anticpating otherwise?
Come on, be honest. Tell the truth.
Even Perry's own management was doubtful of Perry's atttendance.
So was our resident, be-all, end-all guru to all things going down in the melodic rock world, Andrew.
Should they eat crow, as well?
The truth is, all those who predicted Perry to be a no-show were completely justified in doing so because that's the precedent that Perry, himself, has repeatedly set through the years. If I had to make a bet on Perry coming or not I would've taken the odds that he wouldn't show. I mean, I am happy that he did, but, there was just no way anyone can honestly say that they were certain all along that he would show up. Those who say that, just clearly aren't well-read in Journey or Steve Perry lore.
Fans like Monker, Andrew, or myself weren't assuming he wouldn't show because we disike Perry and take great joy in speaking ill of him.
No, those who believed Perry would slight the band were just being realistic and taking into account the long recorded history of recalcitrancy on Steve's part.

Nonetheless, it was great to see him show up.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Line Of Fire » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:18 am

When Perry was at first a little shy, it was Augeri who came from across the row of members and approached Perry and shook his hand, and Augeri did not speak..guy has tons of class.

Very, very cool.

I agree with Andrew on Perry...
Line Of Fire
Radio Waves

Postby Monker » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:18 am

What Perry can never sing again? Is he too old? Is he too lazy? Guess what? The guy is a singer by birth, and it will always live in him. Hell Mick Jagger is 10 years older and he still does it.

And, Steve Perry does NOT sing lead vocals any longer. He hasn't released anything new since "I Stand Alone". He hasn't performed live since FTLOSM. He only does little odd things on other people's albums - that's it.

He may be a "singer by birth"...but he's not a singer in his old age.

Hell no. Tell me why I should apologize to a guy who is sitting in his living room making assumptions while watching the freaking news?

Because you are acting like a dick.

He can post his observations from the news if he wants to. There is nothing wrong with that - at all.

That's like me reporting on Abu Graib while in Canada on vacation.

Exactly. If you want to talk about whatever pictures you saw on the news in Canada - so what? People can take it for what it's worth.

if people don't have concrete evidence or at least some factual take on matters, stop the bullshit speculation.....

It's speculation only because you want it to be. If he says Perry looked all uptight from what he saw...then that's what he saw. it doesn't matter if it's on TV or not. You have your perception of things, he has his - big deal.
Monker
MP3

Postby yak » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:21 am

Andrew wrote:Above all else, I was very pleased to see Perry show up -

Say, Andrew, you don't suppose Perry reads this board, do you? :wink:

He has made his appearance and now, as always, he's allowing the speculation to go forward...

I am not making book in Vegas for a Perry return...ever...I can tell you that much.

The picture of Neal and Amber with Aja was great! Amber is a gorgeous lady and looked very happy. Steve looked great in his white suit, and also well rested and very happy.

When Perry was at first a little shy, it was Augeri who came from across the row of members and approached Perry and shook his hand, and Augeri did not speak..guy has tons of class.

Steve Augeri has a LOT of class. Grace under pressure, I like to call it.
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby yak » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:06 am

Calbear94 wrote: After giving his 30 second "this is because all of you" speech, he turns to exit the podium and he is handed something by one of the organizers (perhaps), and he gives this expression like "do I have to do this?" It could have just been surprise, but it did look like he felt inconvenienced by the request.

I believe one of the Yahoo photographs backs this up as truth.
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:34 am

[quote="yakov"] Amber looked very happy. Steve looked very happy.[/b][/color]

Ah....to quote you IT WAS ALL DONE FOR THE CAMERAS!! what do you really know about anything?
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:59 am

perryfaithful wrote:
yakov wrote: Amber looked very happy. Steve looked very happy.[/b][/color]

Ah....to quote you IT WAS ALL DONE FOR THE CAMERAS!! what do you really know about anything?
I agree, Yakov is a fucking kill joy!

Postby yak » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:03 am

ShawRiff wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:

...and such filthy language from a Perryite, Ms Riff!

Perryfaithful has once again taken out of context something I said.

It's not the first time, and it most assuredly won't be the last. I simply consider where it comes from.

:lol: The desperate housewives need to start looking in their own backyards.
:lol:
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:34 pm

yakov wrote:
ShawRiff wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:

...and such filthy language from a Perryite, Ms Riff!

Perryfaithful has once again taken out of context something I said.

It's not the first time, and it most assuredly won't be the last. I simply consider where it comes from.

:lol: The desperate housewives need to start looking in their own backyards.
:lol:
Actually Yakov, I'm a male and hardly a, what do you call it...Perryite? I enjoy the present lineup immensely.
BTW...if there was a desperate housewife in my backyard, I'd hope it was Teri Hatcher... :P

Postby Paul_UK » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:15 am

ShawRiff wrote:BTW...if there was a desperate housewife in my backyard, I'd hope it was Teri Hatcher... :P

Oh yes, I have to agree! Although the lovely Eva Longoria wouldn't go a-miss either!!!! :D
Paul_UK
45 RPM

Next

Return to Journey