JOURNEY REUNION

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

JOURNEY REUNION

Postby guru » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:46 pm

the "walk of fame" is the genesis..steve perry attended and posted text and photo on www.fanasylum.com/steveperry...the houston live dvd has been mysteriously put on hold(until 2006???)..suddenly,the "frontiers&beyond"dvd gets a first release date in Japan(with us&european markets to follow shortly)...gregg rolie is not attending the event(because cain will be the man,on a "possible"reunion tour..)YOU NEED MORE??? i'm sure that next year JOURNEY REUNION TOUR (yes,with Steve Perry and Steve Smith will be a fact)..think about it!
guru
Fresh Air

Postby Abitaman » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:00 pm

AS much as I would love to see it as a ONE time event, I don't see it happening. Steve is the voice of Rock, but not the voice of Journey, not any more! Steve Augeri is the new singer, and I hope he has a long stay with the group. I am looking forward to the new cd.

Perry would be great, but it would be the end of Journey, if he came back as the lead singer, replace Augeri-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:54 pm

The invitation is for Perry and any other previous members to GUEST on the new tour. Nothing else. What does it matter that the Houston DVD has been shelved? Yet you point to F&B being released in JAPAN, as a point to reunion. And here is another tidbit...before Perry came back for TBF, Journey had already "reformed" with Jon AND Gregg. It would have nothing to do with Jon if Gregg were not to join in. It may still have something to do with Perry, since Gregg left the reunion when Perry came on board, but I doubt it. You could stretch this idea to include that Gregg showed up at the SFWOF when he knew Perry was not going to be there. And then he doesn't come to the HWOF which Perry does show up to. But that would be far-fetched as well, since Perry has said that he decided the day before to go to the HWOF and even turned Mark&Brian off because he didn't want to change his mind. Perry showed, Gregg didn't...no sinister reasons.

I do not believe there is any reason to think Perry is rejoining Journey. I hold out hope that he might guest on A song at A show. But I doubt it. (And if he did, it would probably only be a show near his home.) Journey is extremely stable. Journey has gained a LOT of momentum. Steve Augeri and Journey have overcome so much...and I think they are finally where they want to be. They are putting out new music (without the confines of a record label). Journey are in a postion to get a record deal AFTER the recording of the CD (according to Andrew, they ARE shopping for a deal.) Journey shows are getting larger, and selling out. Journey is going to cover all eras of their career this year. (This could be a way of retiring some of their past catalog, but that is PURE conjecture.)

Life is good for Journey. And life is good for Journey fans!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:42 pm

Good point-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby guru » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:11 am

ok,that was just my thoughts..but,about Augeri(that i love and believe he's great),i'll give you two examples:Blaze Bailey and Ripper.They were supported by Iron Maiden and Judas Priest,until the time Bruce and Rob returned,and they were shown the outdoor!!
guru
Fresh Air

Postby Paul_UK » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:28 am

Well hopefully the guys in Journey will have a lot more respect for Augeri than that, cos quite frankly he is and has been the true professional in the face of what at times has been brutal and unjust criticism from "fans".

The man is a wonderful vocalist and deserves to stay in the band for the long haul.
Paul_UK
45 RPM

Postby Liz22562 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:43 am

I agree, Paul-UK

Steve Augeri has been the ultimate gentleman. I'm looking forward to seeing him in 2005!
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby Line Of Fire » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:49 am

Paul_UK wrote:Well hopefully the guys in Journey will have a lot more respect for Augeri than that, cos quite frankly he is and has been the true professional in the face of what at times has been brutal and unjust criticism from "fans".

The man is a wonderful vocalist and deserves to stay in the band for the long haul.

I totally agree...
Line Of Fire
Radio Waves

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:24 am

I can see Perry rejoining...If you were at the WOF, he was shy at first, but after he saw, heard and felt the praise that only Elvis types receive, he started to showcase himself. Did you see him at the podium TELLING neal to "get up here" and he was for the most part in the center of most photos, and if you look real close, the original(or should I say the Power 5) were standing together..Perry,Schon,Cain,Valory and Smith. Could this actually happen? Yes.
The only problem I have is saying goodbye to Castranova and Augeri..these carried on the band, literally..Maybe there is a huge tour planned where perry would sing the older material and Augee could sing the new.
This could also mean the end like someone else pointed out..

PS-Journeytroll--about Journey opening for U2?? If perry came back, it would be the opposite. Yes, Journey would be the biggest thing on Earth. If VH could come back(and sound as bad as they did), then a tour with perry would have the world abuzz, assuming he can still do it. he needs to lose some lbs., though. Yeah, I'm onboard. Remember, I am the ONLY one who said he thought perry would show up at the WOF. So I was lucky, but also right!
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby JourneyTroll » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:04 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:I can see Perry rejoining...If you were at the WOF, he was shy at first, but after he saw, heard and felt the praise that only Elvis types receive, he started to showcase himself. Did you see him at the podium TELLING neal to "get up here" and he was for the most part in the center of most photos, and if you look real close, the original(or should I say the Power 5) were standing together..Perry,Schon,Cain,Valory and Smith. Could this actually happen? Yes.
The only problem I have is saying goodbye to Castranova and Augeri..these carried on the band, literally..Maybe there is a huge tour planned where perry would sing the older material and Augee could sing the new.
This could also mean the end like someone else pointed out..

PS-Journeytroll--about Journey opening for U2?? If perry came back, it would be the opposite. Yes, Journey would be the biggest thing on Earth. If VH could come back(and sound as bad as they did), then a tour with perry would have the world abuzz, assuming he can still do it. he needs to lose some lbs., though. Yeah, I'm onboard. Remember, I am the ONLY one who said he thought perry would show up at the WOF. So I was lucky, but also right!

Hi Rock n'deano. Even if Steve Perry rejoined Journey, U2 is not going to open up for them. No way. No how. Sadly, the press would treat Journey like a greatest hits or reunion tour. Besides, U2 already has its North America and Europe dates.

I'd only see Van Halen if David Lee Roth was in the band. I know he can't sing or scream as well as he did when he left the band, but the song selection would be worth it to me.

Journeytroll
JourneyTroll
LP

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:10 am

guru wrote:i'll give you two examples:Blaze Bailey and Ripper.They were supported by Iron Maiden and Judas Priest,until the time Bruce and Rob returned,and they were shown the outdoor!!

Neither Blaze, nor Ripper were really given a chance by Maiden or Priest or their fans. They were involved a little in the recording of new music but neither got the chance to truly shine on new material. I think this is the year Steve gets that from Journey. And the fans of Maiden and Priest had little love for the guys. If Priest and Maiden had given the "new guys" more time than I could see them in the same position as Journey...fans would be willing and able to move forward. Neither band gave the fans time to adjust. And neither band showed much support for their new lead singers.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Kuroneko1 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:26 pm

I personally think that Journey should stick to its guns instead of a reunion. Deen and Augeri is doing just fine. Why ruin this smooth going chemisty in the band? why risk it ?
Also, I dont think Journey needs a reunion tour as well. Sure it would look nice, but only on paper. Just look at Van halen and Kiss now. It is time to look in to future not in past.
Kuroneko1
Radio Waves

Postby Paul_UK » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:25 pm

I totally agree, Kuroneko1.

I really don't think a reunion with Perry is the way forward for the band at all. Been there, done that!

From the interview with Schon, it really sounds like there's some hot new material to work with on this forthcoming album and all concentration should be on that and going on the road to promote it.

Onwards and upwards I say!
Paul_UK
45 RPM

Re: JOURNEY REUNION

Postby Gaffguitars » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:50 pm

guru wrote:the "walk of fame" is the genesis..steve perry attended and posted text and photo on www.fanasylum.com/steveperry...the houston live dvd has been mysteriously put on hold(until 2006???)..suddenly,the "frontiers&beyond"dvd gets a first release date in Japan(with us&european markets to follow shortly)...gregg rolie is not attending the event(because cain will be the man,on a "possible"reunion tour..)YOU NEED MORE??? i'm sure that next year JOURNEY REUNION TOUR (yes,with Steve Perry and Steve Smith will be a fact)..think about it!

I hope you're right but I'll believe it when I see it. I would hope there would be some new music and not just a tour. And hopefully it would rock a little more than TBF or ROR.
GAFF
Gaffguitars
Ol' 78

Postby Journeynut » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:31 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:of most photos, and if you look real close, the original(or should I say the Power 5) were standing together..Perry,Schon,Cain,Valory and Smith. Could this actually happen? Yes.
!

Power 5! I like that better than "classic Journey"
Anyway, what was I saying.........
Journeynut
Ol' 78

Re: JOURNEY REUNION

Postby yak » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:18 am

guru wrote:the "walk of fame" is the genesis..steve perry attended and posted text and photo on www.fanasylum.com/steveperry...the houston live dvd has been mysteriously put on hold(until 2006???)..suddenly,the "frontiers&beyond"dvd gets a first release date in Japan(with us&european markets to follow shortly)...gregg rolie is not attending the event(because cain will be the man,on a "possible"reunion tour..)YOU NEED MORE??? i'm sure that next year JOURNEY REUNION TOUR (yes,with Steve Perry and Steve Smith will be a fact)..think about it!

I offer these as opinions as to why Perry will never rejoin Journey.
He has also said in the past he would never want Journey to become a "reunion tour."

Perry returns to the scene to get the buzz going. Maybe he has something to promote (maybe the Pack CD?) so he comes out. He arrives and everybody goes gaga and Perry successfully restarts the speculation, instead of putting it to rest.

First, Perry cannot be relied upon to finish what he starts, given his past episodes with Journey.

Second, Neal is getting ready to really ROCK Journey (about time) and Perry would only put the screws to that. Given his past episodes with Journey.

Third, the band is really coming into their own with Steve and Deen, so why would anybody want to go backwards?

Going through all the things originally caused by Perry, only tore things apart and made things mucho difficult for Neal to put Journey back together again, so why would Neal want history to repeat itself?

Neal has given his heart and soul and sweat getting Journey back together, and we fans are now about to reap the rewards of all his and the current band's work.

I say Neal won't allow history to repeat itself....
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby EightyRock » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:17 am

I do not see Perry rejoining Journey or doing even a song with them on tour this summer. I think Neal & Co. wanted to stop the in-fighting between the fan bases, and the anger directed at him, so he did some damage control. I'm not saying it wasn't sincere. Everyone looked happy to interact with eachother. They shared a moment that recognized years of hard work and personal sacrifice and it paid off. They wrote the songs, toured behind them, made big bucks, and sold millions of records. So why shouldn't they share the moment and all be civil? Perry didn't come to the WOF because Neal said he wanted him to be there. He stated that he had already decided to go (and Johnny Grant already knew he was coming).
My guess is that Perry doesn't support the current line-up any more than he did before last weekend's event, although NONE of us knows what he is thinking. He showed up and participated in the ceremony, claimed his part of the award and showed appreciation to the fans who came. He appears to have let anger & disappointment go....and moved on. But, in no way do I think he's forgotten what happened in 1998. It probably just isn't important to him anymore. He made his mark in Journey and his legacy is safe, nomatter who performs in that band now. The creativity of Perry, Jon and Neal won't be duplicated. Those are unions that happen once in a lifetime. Just think how it would be to sit down together, and write 14 songs in a couple weeks. Today's lineup hasn't written 14 songs in 7 years. Do I miss having something worth putting in my CD player? Hell yes! Do I want Perry to do a tour with them? Hell yes! But I don't think it will happen.
As for Neal, a new Journey CD and their future. Red13 was supposed to ROCK, too, and most fans didn't like it. He's already stated that this one isn't going to sound like Journey either.
Clear Channel isn't going to support a summer tour with them playing less than the majority of greatest hit songs to assure ticket sales, nomatter what Neal wants to do. How are they planning to pay all the people they want to come and sit in? Or do they expect them to do it for free?
Their track record with recording OR playing new music is bad....one CD and one four-song EP in seven years????? :shock: If this upcoming CD doesn't do better than Arrival, I'd think at least Jon would be tired of the struggle to wring out any drop of creativity left in them.
I'd like to see them write some music again with Perry, even one CD. Then, if they want to go off after that and play another GH tour or fair w/ Augeri, well so be it. At least I'd have something new to play at home with the Journey sound that "I" like.
EightyRock
8 Track

Postby Abitaman » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:09 am

One thing that has always been good about Journey, is the sound, not just the music. The sound is production, the music has always sound good, and rich, and clear. Arrival had that, but Red 13 did not. Wherever Neal takes Journey, he better have the production right. No matter how good the songs are, if they do not sound good, forget it-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Rockindeano » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:47 pm

Speaking of production...Isn't the new CD being produced by Kevin Elson? Or one of the original(pre-Perry productions) guys...That has some quality merit to it.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby mnmsjrny » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:28 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:Speaking of production...Isn't the new CD being produced by Kevin Elson? Or one of the original(pre-Perry productions) guys...That has some quality merit to it.

Kevin Elson is co-producing the new CD. He's the man behind the controls for "Escape" and "Frontiers" (and I think parts of "Departure", "Captured" and "Raised on Radio", but I'd have to pull my CDs out to check that) so it should be pretty interesting.
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby Monker » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:49 pm

First you say:

{quote]I think Neal & Co. wanted to stop the in-fighting between the fan bases, and the anger directed at him, so he did some damage control...
[/quote]

...and then you say:

Perry didn't come to the WOF because Neal said he wanted him to be there.

What the hell are you talking about then? In the same paragraph, you accuse Neal of some weird manipulation and then you say Neal wasn't the reason Perry was even there.

Why can't you accept that they were ALL there for the fans? Why does there have to be some conspiracy? Even in Perry's note he thanks ALL of the fans...and HE used the emphasis on ALL, not me.

But, even with Perry being there, with everybody getting along, you still have to come up with a line like this:

But, in no way do I think he's forgotten what happened in 1998. It probably just isn't important to him anymore.

It didn't happen JUST to him, it happened to JOURNEY.

How can you possibly guess what is important to Perry when he hardly even talks about this subject any longer?

Today's lineup hasn't written 14 songs in 7 years.

What a completely ignorant statement. I wonder why a person would be so completely clueless. But, not only that, you can't even take the time to verify these statements you are implying are facts.

The US version of Arrival alone has 14 songs on it...and that is only what was RECORDED.

Do I miss having something worth putting in my CD player? Hell yes! Do I want Perry to do a tour with them? Hell yes! But I don't think it will happen.

Then move on with your life. If Steve Perry can, why can't YOU?

As for Neal, a new Journey CD and their future. Red13 was supposed to ROCK, too, and most fans didn't like it. He's already stated that this one isn't going to sound like Journey either.

That is NOT what he said. He said it was in a direction that Journey has never gone before. When Journey does that, they are at their best. That is what they did with Infinity. That is what they did with Escape. That is what they tried to do with Frontiers. Journey acting like Journey is a good thing. Journey trying to do nothing but rerecording the past is NOT a good thing.

Clear Channel isn't going to support a summer tour with them playing less than the majority of greatest hit songs to assure ticket sales, nomatter what Neal wants to do.

I bet you have absolutely NO IDEA what Clear Channel will and will not support Journey doing. I bet all you are doing is guessing.

How are they planning to pay all the people they want to come and sit in? Or do they expect them to do it for free?

If they can afford to pay all of the people in Journey/Styx/REO, they can afford to pay all of the past members of Journey. That is just a simple matter of counting. But, if you can't count the number of songs on an album...

Their track record with recording OR playing new music is bad....one CD and one four-song EP in seven years?????

And, one DVD, and one soundtrack song.

It's a better record then Journey had from 1987 thru 1996.

Shocked If this upcoming CD doesn't do better than Arrival, I'd think at least Jon would be tired of the struggle to wring out any drop of creativity left in them.

The only struggle that exists is hardcore Perry fans like you struggling to accept Journey is continuing to record and release new music, and tour VERY successfuly.

I'd like to see them write some music again with Perry, even one CD.

I don't want another TBF. I haven't listened to that CD in years. If the only outcome of another reunion is another mediocre album like TBF, then I would rather they continue on without Perry entering the picture AT ALL.

At least I'd have something new to play at home with the Journey sound that "I" like.

You mean you tire of waiting for the Houston DVD so soon? Then there is that rumored ROR DVD. What's wrong, are you starting to see that Perry has a hard time following thru on his projects?
Monker
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:09 am

EightyRock wrote: At least I'd have something new to play at home with the Journey sound that "I" like.

And what *sound* would that be again?
Journey's sound has changed so much through the years. Departure sounds nothing like Frontiers, for example. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that isn't a very discerning Journey listener.
Personally, I think you are just a big baby who misses Perry.
Na na whaa whaa.
Get over it.

Oh, and one last time, in case you have forgotten....

ANNOUNCEMENT TO STEVE PERRY FANS
Once and for all, if Steve Perry wanted to sing, or wants to sing at ANY TIME, any manager, promoter or agent would be ecstatic. It’s not that anyone is preventing him or standing in his way; in fact, the Journey band with Steve Augeri has an open invitation to him to sing any songs (or even one) at any Journey show, now or in the future. Irving Azoff and John Baruck (Journey’s managers) have an open invitation to Steve Perry to do one song, one show, or a tour, or anything Steve Perry would want to do, at any time. Unfortunately, at this time Steve Perry prefers a private life and does not want to sing.
- Former Sony exec, current Sanctuary vice president & Steve Perry confidant, John Kalodner
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:17 am

Actually Journey sounds the same on each cd, the music has changed, but the sound has been the same. Depature and Red 13 have been the least Journey sounding cds. Even without Steve singing, you can tell it's Journey-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:21 am

Abitaman wrote:Actually Journey sounds the same on each cd, the music has changed, but the sound has been the same.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Try again.
Are you sure you don't mean sound quality?
If the music is different, then doesn't it go without saying, that the sound is different, too? Right?
You can't be playing a different type of music and still retain the same sound. Both things are inherently intertwined together.
As the music IS the sound and the sound IS the music.

I don't what you're hearing, but Escape sounds absolutely nothing like Infinity.
If I didn't know it was Journey beforehand, I would think it was two different bands.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby EightyRock » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:44 am

What anyone likes or doesn't like about my post is their problem. These are my feelings and observations. You have yours, obviously. I see some people are back to juvenile names calling.
I wonder where some of those Arrival songs were conceived? I've read the interviews from a "certain musician" who said a "certain member" of the band took music they worked on together and put it on Arrival. You claim to be up on this stuff, Monker. If so, then you've read it, too. Let's face it, none of what they've recorded in 7 years has been that great. The point I make and don't intend to debate further is that they clearly have creativity issues that have not been resolved with a "Neal & Jon + outside writers" CD, or with a four song EP that was Neal's baby. They will now let Augeri have free reign with a new CD (hey, why not....nothing else has worked) and it reminds Neal of The Who. Well, WHO the hell wants Journey to sound like the WHO? Maybe you and two other people. The'd better give it away at the shows, because they aren't going to sell them. Neal would most likely not be out putting so much time and effort into a NEW band with a TOUR, if he had something REALLY floating his boat in Journey. I don't care how many side projects he enjoys doing, this is more than that. He is putting alot of time and effort into Soul Sirkus. And why not? Maybe it will do for him what he cannot accomplish with Cain and Augeri. I can see why he would need more than an outlet at this point. There's nothing wrong with that. He is a very creative person. Musical chemistry in a band is the most important thing at the end of the day. It is a business and it does have to pay the bills, but creative people are going to get very bored without stimulation, eventually. Many years have passed and they still can only play GH. That has to be devastating for someone who was used to that level of success and creativity. So why should he NOT want to move on with a new band and phase Journey out, if he knows Perry will not come back and join the creative process.
And for the record I did NOT say that Neal wasn't sincere in wanting to get Perry to go to the WOF or that they all were not in some way glad to see eachother. I was glad to see it happen, for whatever reason, if only for one day. So, if you read something else in my post, let me tell you once again exactly what I meant. Now, go nuts, I'm done.
EightyRock
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:22 am

EightyRock wrote:I wonder where some of those Arrival songs were conceived? I've read the interviews from a "certain musician" who said a "certain member" of the band took music they worked on together and put it on Arrival.

Why the needless amibguity?
Some guy from Bad Company claimed Neal stole a riff or two of his and put it on Arrival (this was stated in an interview conducted by Andrew, I think). It should be pointed out that nothings ever come of this.

EightyRock wrote: Let's face it, none of what they've recorded in 7 years has been that great.

Yeah as if Steve Perry's musical output in the past 7 years has been that much more abundant.
But, no, hold up, that wasn't very nice of me to say. Steve Perry's solo stuff isn't the issue here and I shouldn't have to revert to Steve or his currently non-existent career as the standard by which all other musicial acts should be judged. However, with that being said, it seems you people only understand things when discussed in terms of the old Steve, his tenure with the group, in direct relation with the actions pursued by today's Journey.
Anyways, back to today'sJourney.....
Journey's been writing and stockpiling material for a few years now. They are in no rush to put an album out. They are aware of the fact that the musical landscape has changed. Look at how Def Leppard or Tom Petty's last albums all crashed and burned. In order to remain succesful, many older artists today are either singing catalogs of other people's songs (Joe Cocker, Rod Stewart, Michael McDonald) or pushing compilation albums of their hits w/ maybe a new bonus track or two thrown in for good measure. As Jon has said, even if the band were to put out an album of Escape's qualitative level, it wouldn't sell nearly as good as it did back in their 80's heyday.
They are taking their time & assessing the best possible avenues towards getting their music out to the masses.
They are approaching the situation very carefully and gathering up material in the meantime.
Exactly what any band in their position should do.

EightyRock wrote:The point I make and don't intend to debate further is that they clearly have creativity issues that have not been resolved with a "Neal & Jon + outside writers" CD, or with a four song EP that was Neal's baby. They will now let Augeri have free reign with a new CD (hey, why not....nothing else has worked).

Augeri doesn't have free reign. He isn't a control freak like some other people. Free reign is Steve Perry circa 1986 producing ROR and firing longtime members left and right. Augeri has a much larger input this time around. But, then again, why the hell shouldn't he? He IS the lead singer of the band and is a musician in his own right.
When Perry became the lead singer he was afforded a much greater degree of input starting with Infinity.
Let me guess?..
Was that wrong, too?

EightyRock wrote:Well, WHO the hell wants Journey to sound like the WHO? Maybe you and two other people. The'd better give it away at the shows, because they aren't going to sell them.

Yawn. Now, you're arguments are just getting plain silly. One minute you are chastizing the band for not writing material and the next, you are attacking them for doing precisely just that (the absurdity of it all is compounded by the fact that you haven't even heard a single track yet).

EightyRock wrote: I can see why he would need more than an outlet at this point. There's nothing wrong with that. He is a very creative person.

Oh, so now he is creative?
A second ago you were lending credence to the allegation that he is a two bit musical plagarist.
Can't you make up your mind on anything?
I'm getting dizzy just sitting here.

EightyRock wrote:Many years have passed and they still can only play GH. That has to be devastating for someone who was used to that level of success and creativity.

Yup. It probably is also devastating to Elton John, Aersomith, Bon Jovi, Styx, REO, John Mellencamp and any countless other older acts that are on the road these days and doing the exact same thing.

Oh yeah, and just one more final time in case you missed it, or if it hasn't sunken in yet after all these years...

ANNOUNCEMENT TO STEVE PERRY FANS
Once and for all, if Steve Perry wanted to sing, or wants to sing at ANY TIME, any manager, promoter or agent would be ecstatic. It’s not that anyone is preventing him or standing in his way; in fact, the Journey band with Steve Augeri has an open invitation to him to sing any songs (or even one) at any Journey show, now or in the future. Irving Azoff and John Baruck (Journey’s managers) have an open invitation to Steve Perry to do one song, one show, or a tour, or anything Steve Perry would want to do, at any time. Unfortunately, at this time Steve Perry prefers a private life and does not want to sing.
- Former Sony exec, current Sanctuary vice president & Steve Perry confidant, John Kalodner
Last edited by The_Noble_Cause on Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Argus » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:58 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
EightyRock wrote:I wonder where some of those Arrival songs were conceived? I've read the interviews from a "certain musician" who said a "certain member" of the band took music they worked on together and put it on Arrival.

Why the needless amibguity?
Some guy from Bad Company claimed Neal stole a riff or two of his and put it on Arrival (this was stated in an interview conducted by Andrew, I think). It should be pointed out that nothings ever come of this.

Not Bad Company.. Hardline.. past brother-in-law of Neal.
Argus
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:05 pm

ace wrote:Not Bad Company.. Hardline.. past brother-in-law of Neal.

Thanks.
I had a feeling I had the bands mixed up.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Monker » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:59 pm

EightyRock wrote:What anyone likes or doesn't like about my post is their problem. These are my feelings and observations. You have yours, obviously. I see some people are back to juvenile names calling.
I wonder where some of those Arrival songs were conceived? I've read the interviews from a "certain musician" who said a "certain member" of the band took music they worked on together and put it on Arrival. You claim to be up on this stuff, Monker. If so, then you've read it, too.

Of course I know that Johnny G. said this in several interviews. But, nothing ever came of it, or his threats.. The bottom line is those are Journey songs on Arrival written and recorded by Journey...and you have a problem counting to 14.

Let's face it, none of what they've recorded in 7 years has been that great.

I completely disagree. I love Arrival, I still have it in the car. I absolutely love "Walking Away From the Edge" and "State of Grace" from Red 13. "Not that great" is what I would call most of ROR and TBF.

The point I make and don't intend to debate further is that they clearly have creativity issues that have not been resolved with a "Neal & Jon + outside writers" CD

So, there were songs on Arrival written before Augeri even joined, or written with other people. Who cares? You are making a bigger issue of it then it needs to be. I don't remember anybody ever claiming that there were creativity issues in the band. In fact, if you actualy read the interviews on this site, you will find the exact opposite.

or with a four song EP that was Neal's baby.

I think there were many reasons for Red 13...Testing how to release and market their own CD was probably the biggest. I don't see how it is 'Neal's baby" when there is one anthem, one rocker, one ballad, and one melodic rock song. Seems to me that it had a variety of sounds and styles - JUST LIKE ALL OF JOURNEY'S ALBUMS.

They will now let Augeri have free reign with a new CD

Funny, I don't remember anybody saying he has 'free reign'. I'm sure Augeri will be able to spread his wings a bit but not reign over the CD. All they have to do is look to ROR to remember how much of a disaster that will be.

and it reminds Neal of The Who. Well, WHO the hell wants Journey to sound like the WHO? Maybe you and two other people.

How presumptious of you. You have not even heard the songs and already you are judging and condemning it.

The'd better give it away at the shows, because they aren't going to sell them.

You don't know if it will sell either. If they do make it to a label, maybe one like Universal, you have no clue how well it will sell.

Neal would most likely not be out putting so much time and effort into a NEW band with a TOUR, if he had something REALLY floating his boat in Journey.

Neal himself has already stated that Soul Sirkus will probably go over better in Europe then the US...and he's right. They will not be any bigger in the US then the current version of Hardline. The style of music they are recording is just not what this public devours.

It is a business and it does have to pay the bills

Which is the reason at the end of it all he has to keep Journey alive...A new band at this point in his life and career will NEVER be as big as Journey was, or even as they are now. Soul Sirkus is an opening band with an album that sells less then Arrival. I'm sure Neal knows this...he's pretty foolish if he doesn't.

And for the record I did NOT say that Neal wasn't sincere in wanting to get Perry to go to the WOF or that they all were not in some way glad to see eachother.

No, you made it sound like you believe in some grand conspiracy by Neal...which makes absolutely NO SENSE at all.
Monker
MP3

Postby Andrew » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:57 pm

It won't happen.
Andrew
Administrator

Next

Return to Journey