JOURNEY REUNION

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:46 pm

Escape has a "different" sound than Infinity? Yes and No.

Yes because the songs are different, and the type of music, and each producer has there own little twists.

No because, no matter who is at the helm, they have given Journey the same sound!

Production can make or break a cd. Example Robert Mutt Lang, lets look at a some of his cds.

AC/DC- Highway to Hell, Back in Black, For Those About to Rock These are the ac/dc sound, next few cds that followed sounded bad, had some good songs, but production was crap, not the ac/dc sound

Def Leppard-Hysteria and Pyromaina(?) Those 2 cds set the bar for Lep and the metal world, Lep's next cd was good, but Mut wasn't there. Mike did good keeping the Def sound, and the cd did good, over 3 million sold. But, the next cd even though it had some good songs, did very poor, because it sounded nothing like Lep, NOTHING!!! A good producer could have done something about that. Even if the material is poor, or off the beaten path, agood producer can make it sound like the group!

That is what Journey has done. Since Infinity on, they have not had a bad cd! All there cds ROCK, good producer or not! But, would anyone buy the cds if it sounded bad (some would), or didn't "sound" like Journey?

Yes each Journey cd is different! Infinity is not Escape, which is not Raised o Radio. But they all have that "Journey" Sound!

I remember the first time I heard "Remember Me", it was on the radio, it was not introduced. The radio had been on 10-15 minutes, I stopped in my tracks, IS THAT A NEW JOURNEY SONG? Same with the first Time I heard "When You Love a Woman" I didn't have a computer then, Didn't even know Journey was back together, a soon as it started playing I told my wife, that sounds like Journey.

Maybe I am different in how I hear music-ERIC

[/quote]
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby EightyRock » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:40 am

Monker said: "Of course I know that Johnny G. said this in several interviews. But, nothing ever came of it, or his threats.. The bottom line is those are Journey songs on Arrival written and recorded by Journey...and you have a problem counting to 14. "

Better do some more research on the outcome of that, Monker. Arrival songs all written by Journey? They may have been recorded by them, but along with the issue of Johnny G., Cain was SENT to Nashville to work with outside writers, as well, which is not not that big of a deal IF it was only a song or two to finally get the thing recorded. If you are from the school of thought that Cain & Schon are the creative genius, then think again. They had outside help on 11 out of 15 songs! If they can't do it on their own, but can do just as well with outside writers, then why didn't Arrival sell at least as well as TBF, or ROR, if the latter two were such inferior endeavors? I'm sure you will come up with all the usual excuses. If you are impressed and happy with 14, 15 (who cares when it is that low) songs recorded, but not written mostly by them, and only ONE full CD in all these years, then I can see why you might be satisfied with just Arrival. You don't expect alot and you don't get alot. Some people have higher standards when they think of Journey's music. Let me assure you of this, with no doubt whatsoever...If you don't like ROR or TBF, you are a MINORITY in the vast Journey fanbase, nomatter how much you scream otherwise. I'm not just talking about all of us/any of us on the internet or in one fan club that was spawned for the current line-up. I'm refering to those out in rock & roll USA (and overseas)who bought ROR, TBF, and are STILL BUYING their GH CD and pushed a classic Journey DVD to major sales, considering it is ALL OLD material with the former line-up. If those same people thought the new line-up and the material was so great, why isn't it selling right now like the GH CD or the GH DVD? No promotion! ??? Well, gee, they had the very same record label when Arrival was released, too. Why would Sony have so little faith in what they heard or saw? No one who bought ROR, TBF, GH CD and GH DVD are interested in looking for today's Journey material, or they would have found it and bought it!! They are still finding and buying the GH CD and last year's release of the GH DVD. So...they are still looking for, and finding any CLASSIC Journey material. They have no interest in anything NEW by this line-up. I have to laugh when I see people try to spin it in any other way, but I know that's what some will continue to do. I just wanted to pop in and give you a reality check.
Read it and weep: To the general Journey music-buying population, it isn't the same and definitely isn't better. Perhaps Neal's sincere invitation (and I believe he meant it) will increase ticket sales for them this summer, unless the upcoming Q&A puts a quick end to that possibility. I know that seeing Journey year after year as a GH's Band is a tough pill to swallow, as their fans have been screaming for new music, with which they have intensely struggled. Maybe Perry will stop in and pump up their tour, and by default, have enabled them to "give out" more of the upcoming CD's, since they come with the ticket. That's the cold, hard reality of being in a band calling itself Journey without ALL its creative genius intact, along with the clout that comes along with it.
Welcome to the no-spin zone.
EightyRock
8 Track

Postby Calbear94 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:58 am

No one who bought ROR, TBF, GH CD and GH DVD are interested in looking for today's Journey material, or they would have found it and bought it!! They are still finding and buying the GH CD and last year's release of the GH DVD. So...they are still looking for, and finding any CLASSIC Journey material. They have no interest in anything NEW by this line-up.

Exactly. Many Journey fans are stuck in the past...unwilling/unable to recognize that Steve Perry has moved on with his life. Who wouldn't love to have Journey back in their prime with Perry fronting the band? Hello! That was 20 years ago. None of us are the same, nor in the same place in life, as we were 20 years ago, so it is unrealistic to expect the band to be. The Journey fans that truly love melodic rock and have given the new lineup a chance have been very pleased (look at the reaction at shows). Who wouldn't love new music? If one thing has been settled in these threads is that production and promotion are extremely important to an album's success. Therefore, making an album is more than just a creative exercise, it is a business investment. The current state of the music business with respect to AOR, tends to discourage the making of new music. Downloading hurts sales, also. The industry is so bad that many of the AOR heavyweights are doing albums on their own now. You can't turn back the clock to 1985.[/i]
Calbear94
45 RPM

Postby Abitaman » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:10 am

No one who bought TBF, ROR, etc........will buy today's Journey!?! I will, only problem, if you don't know it's coming out, how do you know to look for it-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:11 am

EightyRock wrote:Monker said: "Of course I know that Johnny G. said this in several interviews. But, nothing ever came of it, or his threats.. The bottom line is those are Journey songs on Arrival written and recorded by Journey...and you have a problem counting to 14. "

Better do some more research on the outcome of that, Monker. Arrival songs all written by Journey? They may have been recorded by them, but along with the issue of Johnny G., Cain was SENT to Nashville to work with outside writers, as well, which is not not that big of a deal IF it was only a song or two to finally get the thing recorded. If you are from the school of thought that Cain & Schon are the creative genius, then think again. They had outside help on 11 out of 15 songs! If they can't do it on their own, but can do just as well with outside writers, then why didn't Arrival sell at least as well as TBF, or ROR, if the latter two were such inferior endeavors? I'm sure you will come up with all the usual excuses. If you are impressed and happy with 14, 15 (who cares when it is that low) songs recorded, but not written mostly by them, and only ONE full CD in all these years, then I can see why you might be satisfied with just Arrival. You don't expect alot and you don't get alot. Some people have higher standards when they think of Journey's music. Let me assure you of this, with no doubt whatsoever...If you don't like ROR or TBF, you are a MINORITY in the vast Journey fanbase, nomatter how much you scream otherwise. I'm not just talking about all of us/any of us on the internet or in one fan club that was spawned for the current line-up. I'm refering to those out in rock & roll USA (and overseas)who bought ROR, TBF, and are STILL BUYING their GH CD and pushed a classic Journey DVD to major sales, considering it is ALL OLD material with the former line-up. If those same people thought the new line-up and the material was so great, why isn't it selling right now like the GH CD or the GH DVD? No promotion! ??? Well, gee, they had the very same record label when Arrival was released, too. Why would Sony have so little faith in what they heard or saw? No one who bought ROR, TBF, GH CD and GH DVD are interested in looking for today's Journey material, or they would have found it and bought it!! They are still finding and buying the GH CD and last year's release of the GH DVD. So...they are still looking for, and finding any CLASSIC Journey material. They have no interest in anything NEW by this line-up. I have to laugh when I see people try to spin it in any other way, but I know that's what some will continue to do. I just wanted to pop in and give you a reality check.
Read it and weep: To the general Journey music-buying population, it isn't the same and definitely isn't better. Perhaps Neal's sincere invitation (and I believe he meant it) will increase ticket sales for them this summer, unless the upcoming Q&A puts a quick end to that possibility. I know that seeing Journey year after year as a GH's Band is a tough pill to swallow, as their fans have been screaming for new music, with which they have intensely struggled. Maybe Perry will stop in and pump up their tour, and by default, have enabled them to "give out" more of the upcoming CD's, since they come with the ticket. That's the cold, hard reality of being in a band calling itself Journey without ALL its creative genius intact, along with the clout that comes along with it.
Welcome to the no-spin zone.

*Ahem*
I kindly direct your attention to the following.
That is all.

ANNOUNCEMENT TO STEVE PERRY FANS
Once and for all, if Steve Perry wanted to sing, or wants to sing at ANY TIME, any manager, promoter or agent would be ecstatic. It’s not that anyone is preventing him or standing in his way; in fact, the Journey band with Steve Augeri has an open invitation to him to sing any songs (or even one) at any Journey show, now or in the future. Irving Azoff and John Baruck (Journey’s managers) have an open invitation to Steve Perry to do one song, one show, or a tour, or anything Steve Perry would want to do, at any time. Unfortunately, at this time Steve Perry prefers a private life and does not want to sing.
- Former Sony exec, current Sanctuary vice president & Steve Perry confidant, John Kalodner
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby perryfaithful » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:30 am

His presence at the WOF brought the house down....

Felt good to us, must have felt good to him

And it was a surprise to all, so I am not putting my money on ANYTHING

Savoring what just happened

Relax all of you
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby yak » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:20 am

His presence at the WOF brought the house down....

And you know this HOW? Were you there? You accused everybody else there of having forced smiles for the cameras (not true), so how do you KNOW your boy Perry was not forcing an appearance? He did say in his Fan Asylum ditty that he didn't decide until the last minute whether or not he would attend. Then, on the way he had to turn off the radion station lest somebody criticize him and he would have to change his mind and turn back. The guy is a 56 year old adult...it's time to put the boogey man back in the closet and leave it there.

So he finally acknowledged he has some fans, something he has not done in years and years. It was long overdue, and only happened because everything went according to the way Perry wanted it to go. Lucky for the fans, or he might have been a no-show again.

That remains to be seen.

Relax all of you

You could do to take your own advice.
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:36 am

perryfaithful wrote:His presence at the WOF brought the house down....

Relax all of you
Nice post PF! :) I'm glad Perry showed up to the WOF...I guess he cares just a little more about his fans than some of his "fans" would try to make us think.

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:39 am

Yakov--

Do you sit in ambush..in waiting for Perryfaithful to post then pounce? lol, everytime this woman says anything, you nail her...

Just an observation.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:01 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:Yakov--

Do you sit in ambush..in waiting for Perryfaithful to post then pounce? lol, everytime this woman says anything, you nail her...

Just an observation.
He's as subtle as a heart attack... :wink:

Postby yak » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:50 am

ShawRiff wrote:
Rock'ndeano wrote:Yakov--

Just an observation.
He's as subtle as a heart attack... :wink:

RocknDeano, your logo, at the bottom of your posts, isn't funny.
The Polite Police must have missed it.
A legless Ethiopian? ......Good Grief!!
And people arte criticizing ME?

Your choice of words is a bit off, matey. Perryfaithful usually accosts me first, and is actually the one who pounces on anything I say. She must have an agenda.

I am anxiously awaiting the new Journey music and tour.
That's really all I care about.

Let's stop the tit-for-tatting shall we, boys and girls? Kindergarten has ended.
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby heardonthestreet » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:13 am

I heard that there is a hold, again, on the new Journey C.D. Did I hear right?
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:33 am

heardonthestreet wrote:I heard that there is a hold, again, on the new Journey C.D. Did I hear right?

Sort of.
They are now entering the studio in March as opposed to what was initially announced as February.
Other than that, things still seem on track.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby yak » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:32 am

They are now entering the studio in March as opposed to what was initially announced as February.
Other than that, things still seem on track.

Something that constantly happened when Perry ruled Journey. So don't go getting your vicky's secrets in a wad over this, heardonthestreet. It's a normal occurence.
yak
Cassette Tape

Delays

Postby Eric » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:20 am

Seems like any product always gets delayed, whether it be TV's, Printers, CD's or cars. Being online, we are just more aware of what probably used to be more of internal dates.

Keep in mind, Arrival/New album was initially said to be out "sometime in 1999" during the 1998 tour, then "next year" during the 1999 tour, then by "mid-year" at the beginning of 2000.

It came out in the fall of 2000 in Japan and Spring of 2001 in the US.

Expect delays!
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby heardonthestreet » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:44 am

Yak!
Good Grief matey! Don't be so defensive. The Super five were known to get their music out in record time. It's the chemistry I suppose. It takes talent, discipline and someone, in the know, in control.
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby yak » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:57 am

heardonthestreet wrote: The Super five were known to get their music out in record time. It's the chemistry I suppose. It takes talent, discipline and someone, in the know, in control.

NOT exactly! Before the mid 80's hit, which would be before ROR was made, there were constant promises in the fan newsletter about an album coming out, being worked on, for months. There were all these stories about the band happily recording and having fun, etc.

There was no such thing happening, because ROR finally came out in 1986, and was without Smitty and Ross, because the Portuguese god had fired them. Lies were being published in the newsletter, to cover the dissension that was apparently being caused by Perry.

Of course you will shoot this down as always, because it doesn't flatter your idol, but there will be others here who know what I am talking about.

The Fab Five of the new Millenium are gearing up for what promises to be a new era for Journey. They're working together, writing, and getting ready to record and tour. The lead singer has no plans to jump ship. It's the chemistry I suppose. :lol:
What To Do When You See a Loon Coming

yak
Cassette Tape

Postby heardonthestreet » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:48 am

Dream on paleface!

The Fab Five were the Beatles. The Super Five for me is Classic Journey.

I hear ROR songs on the radio all the time. It's all about the music matey.
Last edited by heardonthestreet on Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby Liz22562 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:10 am

I absolutely just do not get the name calling...it gets old - quick.

:(
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby yak » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:19 am

heardonthestreet wrote:Dream on paleface!

The Fab Five were the Beatles. The Super Five for me is Classic Journey.

I hear ROR songs on the radio all the time. It's all about the music matey.

The Beatles were the Fab FOUR........ :roll:

Your childish name calling is getting OLD and TIRED

But I do understand...that is all you have left.........

yak
Cassette Tape

Postby heardonthestreet » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:25 am

I stand corrected and you're right!
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby yak » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:57 am

heardonthestreet wrote:I stand corrected and you're right!

About this?

Before the mid 80's hit, which would be before ROR was made, there were constant promises in the fan newsletter about an album coming out, being worked on, for months. There were all these stories about the band happily recording and having fun, etc.

There was no such thing happening, because ROR finally came out in 1986, and was without Smitty and Ross, because the Portuguese god had fired them. Lies were being published in the newsletter, to cover the dissension that was apparently being caused by Perry.

Or this?

The Fab Five of the new Millenium are gearing up for what promises to be a new era for Journey. They're working together, writing, and getting ready to record and tour. The lead singer has no plans to jump ship. It's the chemistry I suppose.

:wink:

yak
Cassette Tape

Postby heardonthestreet » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:27 am

No, only about the Beatles.

Damn! Didn't Yoko play sax?
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Previous

Return to Journey