Question for everyone......

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Question for everyone......

Postby jrnyjetster » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:37 pm

:o Would you be shocked if Journey's NEW CD hits the Billboard top 10, this summer? I believe it could happen.
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Postby LAWoman » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:14 pm

Yes, I would be shocked because I tend to not like what is in the Billboard Top 10.
LAWoman
45 RPM

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:25 am

Never happen. Forget it...Know why? Because they aren't 15 yrs old, aren't gangsta, and aren't rap... Got it??
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Re: Question for everyone......

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:40 am

jrnyjetster wrote::o Would you be shocked if Journey's NEW CD hits the Billboard top 10, this summer? I believe it could happen.

Like most hit albums today (good or bad) , the deciding factor will almost entiriely be the PR work.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:50 am

I know I'll get crucified for this, but unless there was a huge promotional campaign centered around the return of Steve Perry, I don't think so.
Keep in mind, this would be a promotion geared toward the Journey fans of the 1980s, who believe Escape and Frontiers are the band's only albums.

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:10 am

Not gonna happen. But it SHOULD!

I think the quality will be there but promotion will not.

And most of the fans will be getting their copies at the shows-those won't count to any sort of sales.

I still think the key will be if Jon feels his "hit" is on this CD. Then the band might push the song. Maybe they will do talk show appearances and a video and a push to top40 AND classic rock radio. Maybe a satelite radio tie-in and who knows what else...

In the end, this all depends on what Journey wants to do. Will Journey push?
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Paul_UK » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:50 am

ShawRiff wrote:I know I'll get crucified for this, but unless there was a huge promotional campaign centered around the return of Steve Perry, I don't think so.

If Arrival featured Perry I don't believe it would have had any different impact if the same promo was used.

If the record company put some big money behind promoting the album like they do with all this black shit I have no doubt that it would fair a very good chance of peaking a reasonable height in the Billboard chart with Perry or Augeri.
Paul_UK
45 RPM

Postby JourneyTroll » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:17 am

If Chrissy Payne is involved in the album design, the Journey should sell at least five albums.

Journeytroll
JourneyTroll
LP

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:45 am

If the record company put some big money behind promoting the album like they do with all this black shit I have no doubt that it would fair a very good chance

Well someone had to say it...very true.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:59 am

Paul_UK wrote:
ShawRiff wrote:I know I'll get crucified for this, but unless there was a huge promotional campaign centered around the return of Steve Perry, I don't think so.

If Arrival featured Perry I don't believe it would have had any different impact if the same promo was used.

If the record company put some big money behind promoting the album like they do with all this black shit I have no doubt that it would fair a very good chance of peaking a reasonable height in the Billboard chart with Perry or Augeri.
Arrival would have been bigger with Perry, I believe. But you are right on the nose about the record company putting some serious money behind the promotion.

Postby Liz22562 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:26 am

That was totally uncalled for RocknDeano
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:26 am

jrnyman28 wrote:And most of the fans will be getting their copies at the shows-those won't count to any sort of sales.

They won't?
Better ask Andrew on that.
I was pretty sure that Prince's give-away approach of his "Musicology" cd (at his shows) is what greatly helped get it ranked high on the sales charts.
But, hey, I could very well be wrong though.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Paul_UK » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:46 am

Liz22562 wrote:That was totally uncalled for RocknDeano

Brutal but true tho. :?
Paul_UK
45 RPM

Postby mnmsjrny » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:26 am

Well, I doubt it will happen, but ya never know. Assuming they follow through with the plan to include a CD with concert tickets, then it might crack the 100 since those sales ARE counted.
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:54 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:They won't?
Better ask Andrew on that.
I was pretty sure that Prince's give-away approach of his "Musicology" cd (at his shows) is what greatly helped get it ranked high on the sales charts.
But, hey, I could very well be wrong though.

I read somewhere that, any acts after Prince, will not have those units counted toward CD sales.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby blackchicforjrny » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:03 pm

Paul_UK wrote:

Your comment regarding "black shit" is very offensive. So what if the top of the charts are full of rap and R&B, if it is not your music fine. If you realize it pop charts have always been for teen music. But don't offend a musical genere like this. If it weren't for this so called "black shit" a lot of today's music wouldn't be around, remember rock and roll and the music Journey plays comes out of so-called race music, that a lot of people did not want played. Led Zepplin, The Beatles, Clapton and many more bands in the early days, based their musical hero's through "black shit." So if you really think about what your saying Neal wouldn't be playing the blues or anything else for that matter if it weren't for "black shit."

After the past two weeks I was feeling really good about the up coming Journey CD, and was ready to buy it and hopefully get a chance to see Journey this summer, but if Journey fans think like you then I don't think I want to support a band like this.

I'll just sign this,

A Black Journey fan!
blackchicforjrny
Fresh Air

Postby Argus » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:31 pm

blackchicforjrny wrote:
Paul_UK wrote:

Your comment regarding "black shit" is very offensive. So what if the top of the charts are full of rap and R&B, if it is not your music fine. If you realize it pop charts have always been for teen music. But don't offend a musical genere like this. If it weren't for this so called "black shit" a lot of today's music wouldn't be around, remember rock and roll and the music Journey plays comes out of so-called race music, that a lot of people did not want played. Led Zepplin, The Beatles, Clapton and many more bands in the early days, based their musical hero's through "black shit." So if you really think about what your saying Neal wouldn't be playing the blues or anything else for that matter if it weren't for "black shit."

After the past two weeks I was feeling really good about the up coming Journey CD, and was ready to buy it and hopefully get a chance to see Journey this summer, but if Journey fans think like you then I don't think I want to support a band like this.

I'll just sign this,

A Black Journey fan!

Now why would you equate Journey's music with a racist fan's stupidity? He's being a jerk but he does not represent the band or their music. He owes you an apology for sure :idea:
Argus
8 Track

Postby Paul_UK » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:30 pm

I apologise if my comment offended, it certainly wasn't my intention and I certainly wouldn't call myself a racist.

My reference "black shit", was aimed at the genre itself which does tend to be performed by black artists, hence my comment which I must admit is a rather narrow minded thing to say just based on my own musical taste.

Once again, I apologise for any offence caused.

However, I still stand by my sentiment that if the same amount of money of money was invested in the Journey album as that of "Music Of Black Origin", I think it could fair well.
Paul_UK
45 RPM

Postby perryfaithful » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:57 pm

Liz22562 wrote:That was totally uncalled for RocknDeano

It was Paul, Liz...not Deano. (who forgot to put out the quotation marks)
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfaithful » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:00 pm

ace wrote:Now why would you equate Journey's music with a racist fan's stupidity? :

EXACTLY Ace! Deciding not to support Journey because one fan makes a remark she does not like? I have never heard of anything so ridiculous
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Liz22562 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:14 am

My apologies RocknDeano - didn't sound like something you would say...please forgive me....

Shame on you Paul....

(Thanks for correcting my error PF)
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby Monker » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:40 am

If you realize it pop charts have always been for teen music. But don't offend a musical genere like this. If it weren't for this so called "black shit" a lot of today's music wouldn't be around, remember rock and roll and the music Journey plays comes out of so-called race music, that a lot of people did not want played. Led Zepplin, The Beatles, Clapton and many more bands in the early days, based their musical hero's through "black shit." So if you really think about what your saying Neal wouldn't be playing the blues or anything else for that matter if it weren't for "black shit."

To equate rap and hip hop with the roots of rock is such a warped comparison. First of all, how many of those old blues guys even sold a thousand records, back in the day? They were doing it for the love of the music, the expression of their feelings and heritage. In fact, the 'white' musicians and bands you mention were ALSO doing it for the love of the music...the original blues music. The "music" that Paul is talking about is done for three things: Money, fame, and sex.

That is YOUR choice...don't blame somebody else for making such a decision for you. Quite frankly, it seems to me that IMAGE matters more to you then the music anyways.

I'll just sign this,

A Black Journey fan!

Yeah, sure, why don't you sign it as Joe.
Monker
MP3

Postby Paul_UK » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:13 am

Liz22562 wrote:
Shame on you Paul....

Er, I have apologised and expalined that I was directing my comment at the musical genre (Rap, Hip-Hop), not black people as a race.
Paul_UK
45 RPM

Postby perryfaithful » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:59 am

Paul_UK wrote:
Liz22562 wrote:
Shame on you Paul....

Er, I have apologised and expalined that I was directing my comment at the musical genre (Rap, Hip-Hop), not black people as a race.

I got it Paul...
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Liz22562 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:31 am

I got it too Paul....I apologize myself...

Journey On!
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby perryfaithful » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:38 am

Liz22562 wrote:I got it too Paul....I apologize myself...

Journey On!

This is a very fine group of comrades today! As Liz would say.....

JOURNEY ON!!
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby yak » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:45 am

Quite a BIG 'if' since 'if' there had been a Perry, there most definitely wouldn't have been an Arrival. (aka control freak)

When Perry embarked on his Strange Medicine tour, there was hardly any promotion for that either.

Neal should make it happen this time, by doing promotions, etc. and if that is what needs to happen, then he will. The band Journey are already doing promos, and have gotten the momentum going, it would seem to me.

Yeah, sure, why don't you sign it as Joe.

I wondered who the poster was, posting for the first time. So Joe is really a chick? :lol:

I got the gist of what Paul was saying the first time around...no need for the PC police to come out and play.

There are awesome black performers out there, who have made music that is upright, honest, and classic, that will never go out of style. They made music for the love of it, and theirs is the music that has stood the test of time.

GOOD GRIEF!!
yak
Cassette Tape

Re: Question for everyone......

Postby yak » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:31 am

jrnyjetster wrote::o Would you be shocked if Journey's NEW CD hits the Billboard top 10, this summer? I believe it could happen.

To answer your question jrnyjester, I wouldn't be shocked at all. Trial By Fire debuted in the top 5, but quickly fell off the radar screen because there was no tour to back it up. This time things would be different, since the band already has things in gear, and is ready to go. The timetable is up and running. The lead singer isn't about to pull a fast one, so things are way different.

If the band is promoted properly there will be no stopping them.

If TBF could do it, why not a brand new mainstream Journey album that kicks ass this time around?
yak
Cassette Tape

Postby Marabelle » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:53 am

Good grief indeed. What you regard as annoyance by those of us who find the statement "black shit" as insulting towards the music as well as
people of color is illuminated by your cavalier attitude towards race and of rap and r and b. It has little to do with if you are a Journey fan or not; it's more the easy way in which it slips off your tongue and is so accepted by others and their support of your statement. Oh well.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby yak » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:26 pm

what the hell are you talking about Marabelle? I have absolutely nothing against African Americans. You have totally misunderstood what I posted.
Some of my friends are African Americans, and they are good people. I simply don't care for the rap, etc that's foul in language and what it says to the kids we as a society are trying to raise. Get a grip, will ya?
yak
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Journey