Awesome read

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Awesome read

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:39 am

I got this link from BT.. Awesome read, with no punches pulled..and language is not edited..read this..

http://www.sfweekly.com/issues/2005-02- ... ature.html

I must credit Liz for the headsup..she told me to get this from BT..so, thank you Elizabeth. :D
Last edited by Rockindeano on Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:08 am

GREAT read.
So many good quotes.

The best one is Herbie on the chances of Journey having a hit record again...

"It'd be good if they had a record and had some success,"
he says. But the former manager is a bit skeptical about the odds of that happening. "You know," he says, "you've got a much better shot at the lottery or your dick growing a foot, to be honest with you."

Gotta love Herbie!
Last edited by The_Noble_Cause on Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:10 am

Well, I thought the first part (and future references as well) was an embarassing exageration of the Journey fan made to poke fun at him/her.

The article mentions how Journey was never cool and it seems this writer wants to keep it that way.

Second, given how many people were there from Back Talk and still support Journey today, I would say the 2nd part was inaccurate.

Then it goes on to say that the pilgrimage continued even though no one expected Perry there. But as pointed to above, the pilgrimage occurred because of the current Journey line-up as much as any/all others. I truly feel that the fans that showed up were fans of the BAND Journey, not just the band with Steve Perry and four guys you never knew the names of.

Furthermore, I do not like the use of the statement "came up lame" when referring to Perry and his inability to tour.

Hebie still doesn't hold back! But based on what he says, I wish Neal and Jon had been smarter. But I did like his take on getting/needing a hit.

I never realized though, that critics were so rough on Perry and his voice. That was an eye-opener. I knew the music in general drew attacks, sometimes rightfully so. The ballads started killing the band. But Perry's voice...not until ROR was there a reason to attack his vocals. And that was ONLY if you were comparing them to earlier vocals.

In the end, it still was an enjoyable read. But (surprise, surprise) I can't/don't/won't take it seriously.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:11 am

Another great one...

Schon's sincerity [on missing Perry] is iffy at best. At the break, he laughed. "You know, all day on the radio I've been inviting him. He always does this 'woe is me' bullshit about 'Oh, they don't like me ....' Well, you're invited. I mean, come on."

This one is sure to piss a select few off around here...

"So what if it's not exactly the same?" Schon says of Augeri's pipes. "It's damn close enough for people to have a good time."

This is easily the best & most controversial interview since the notorious "Castles Burning" Herbie Herbert piece.
Last edited by The_Noble_Cause on Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:23 am

Schon once again reaffirms his position that, like Herbie, he believes Perry's hip ordeal to have been fraudulent. He also verifies that Perry made him and the boys sign gag orders.
On Trial By Fire, Schon says....

"We made a decent record,"explains Schon, who now lives in San Rafael. "But then nothing happened from there. And I sort of felt that that's what it was gonna be."

Q: Meaning you never really expected a tour?

"Yeah."

Then, after a pause: "And I can't really get into why. I've got like ... you know, everybody signed papers years ago with [Perry]. Like, gag orders."

Q:Gag orders meaning -- meaning that you can't talk about ...?

"About each other ... yeah," Schon says, laughing. "Silly shit, I know."
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:26 am

How about herbie saying, "Neal wasn't always the sharpest knife in the drawer." It's hard to believe that, since the guy can read and speak two languages...English and guitar.

If you think about it, and I know some of you will understand this..heardonthestreet, Liz, Perrfaithful, Monker..Perry has horrible grammar skills..Always using the wrong tenses, and speaks a little juvenile sometimes.. Just an observation.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:29 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:
If you think about it, and I know some of you will understand this..heardonthestreet, Liz, Perrfaithful, Monker..Perry has horrible grammar skills..Always using the wrong tenses, and speaks a little juvenile sometimes.. Just an observation.

Eh, so does Neal and to be fair, out of all the guys who spoke at the WOF, Perry was easily the most eloquent and voluble.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:36 am

Yes, I agree. I wonder what Cain would speak like? He seems to be the "nerdiest" of the bunch. I mean that in a good way. He is always doing the computer stuff and the like. I would love to hear Augeri and Castronova too.

You are right though, Neal sounds like a kid from the streets, but hey, he sure has a hot wife!
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby heardonthestreet » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:40 am

How great was that? It felt like being there.

Thanks Deno, for that find.
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:47 am

heardonthestreet..

read your personal messages....Now!
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby heardonthestreet » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:59 am

O.K. Deno! You asked for it. This means WAR!

:lol: :lol:
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:18 am

heardonthestreet wrote:O.K. Deno! You asked for it. This means WAR!

:lol: :lol:

Bring it on honey..I'll be laughing, and I don't think you will be though :evil: :evil: :evil:
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby heardonthestreet » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:23 am

HELP! I created a monster.
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:26 am

heardonthestreet wrote:HELP! I created a monster.

No, you woke a sleeping giant.... :lol:
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby mnmsjrny » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:57 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:Yes, I agree. I wonder what Cain would speak like? He seems to be the "nerdiest" of the bunch. I mean that in a good way. He is always doing the computer stuff and the like. I would love to hear Augeri and Castronova too.

Well, you can hear what EVERY band member (minus Perry) had to say at the JPP luncheon over in the latest Fan Club newsletter at journeymusic.com. Judge for yourself. ;)

Jon's bit is also up on his website, and I *think* Deen's is on his site too, but not sure on that one.
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby perryfaithful » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:12 am

[quote="Rock'ndeano"]How about herbie saying, "Neal wasn't always the sharpest knife in the drawer."

...and they are supposed to be like"father and son." Imagine! I hope Herbert did not have any REAL children to wreck
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Liz22562 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:15 pm

You are very welcome Rock'ndeano....
Liz22562
8 Track

My thoughts

Postby Eric » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:41 pm

1) Unfortunately, I cannot get the image of "a dick growing out of a foot" out of my mind. HOOOOH

2) Very few people outside of us "core fans" like or respect Journey. Many have never even heard of them. It always amazes me how some of you don't know that.

3) Journey does a good enough business today to be able to tour every year.....BUT they don't do a good enough business so as not to have to keep touring.

4) It is all about having a good time at a concert...and the Perronlies who want to ruin that for everyone else should understand this.

5) Schon's wife is damn hot.

6) Why are we critiquing grammar? Did a rock band just get a star or did a group of guys just graduate from Harvard......COME ON!

7) There are just too many corners who think Perry never wanted to tour in support of TBF to discount it.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby yogi » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:51 am

Damn, that was one AWESOME read.

Steve Perry Rules!!!!!!

Why wont he come back????? It sounds like EVERYONE, bandmates &cloned Steve included want him back. If he did come back, Journey would hit BIG again!!!!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:19 am

yogi wrote:Damn, that was one AWESOME read.

It was OK, except for the journey-zone stuff.

Why wont he come back????? It sounds like EVERYONE, bandmates &cloned Steve included want him back. If he did come back, Journey would hit BIG again!!!!!!

#1, he won't come back because he doesn't want to.
#2, they publicly leave the door open, IMO, so only Perry is to blame for Perry not making the decision for Perry to come back.
#3, if Perry did come back, Journey would cease to exist...just like Perry's solo career.
Monker
MP3

Postby Marabelle » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:27 am

Are you guys always this serious in your daily life? Golly! Not being Steve P. and reading this stuff...it makes me want to crawl back into whatever hole I came from. It's like being viewed in camera lens from all different angles and asking...which one is the real SP?

I enjoy Herbie-read. Just cause he says it does not make it so!
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:53 am

I have to be serious doing breast augmentations for a living!! We have a 2 for 1 special going on now for Valentines!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby heardonthestreet » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:02 am

Not necessarily yogi. They say that levity is uplifting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:46 am

heardonthestreet wrote:Not necessarily yogi. They say that levity is uplifting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now THAT was funny HOTS!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:47 am

heardonthestreet wrote:Not necessarily yogi. They say that levity is uplifting. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not that I doubt you, but "who" said this?
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby LAWoman » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:07 pm

perryfaithful wrote:
Rock'ndeano wrote:How about herbie saying, "Neal wasn't always the sharpest knife in the drawer."

...and they are supposed to be like"father and son." Imagine! I hope Herbert did not have any REAL children to wreck

Herbie praises Neal's talent any chance he gets. From the example, I think Herbie is talking about business decisions/choices. I am always shocked to see the poor business decisions artists make--signing away rights to things and making decisions with their hearts. They are focused on the music and the business side is just a bother that they'd rather not have to deal with. That's why Herbie was so good for Journey. He was really good at taking care of the business things.
LAWoman
45 RPM

Return to Journey