From The Journey to the Hall of Fame Committee (J2TH)

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

From The Journey to the Hall of Fame Committee (J2TH)

Postby mnmsjrny » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:36 am

Just a note to let you know to keep those letters coming! We need to send lots of letters to the Nominating Committee. Feel free to write your own wonderful letter, or go to our website at http://journeytothehalloffame.com for lots of good information.

If you go to the navigation bar you will see a J2TH link, click on that, there you will find different sample letters to use to help you write your own letter, or feel free to use the printable letters, you can print these and use them. Please make sure you date them, include your address and sign them, then just pop them in the mail. No emails or faxes please.

Send your letters to:
Induction/Nominating Committee
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation
1290 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10104

One last note, please do not send letters to Suzan Evans, she is not on the Nominating Committee. We need to focus on the Committee, they are the ones who nominate the band for induction.

Thanks everyone so much, lets send those letters and have fun, let our “Journey” continue until we get our guys into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!!!
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:32 pm

I applaud your efforts in this cause but you know what makes me sick? The fact that we need a petition to get this Band into a place where it should automaticcally be sailing into.. I see some bands going in and I need to rub my eyes that they are going before Journey..eg: The pretenders, Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, and ZZ Top... All good, all worthy, but I seriously wonder if they have either brought more to the table than JRNY, or frankly, were "better?" I can honestly say No F*cking way!" Look, Journey has a huge problem with those slapnuts in Cleveland..they just don't like Journey for whatever reason...maybe it's a west coast thing, maybe it's the "corporate rock thing, or a Perry thing or whatever...the point is, we may need a miracle and it's truly a shame..

Andrew, can you help drum up something? I mean you are connected and?....

Dean
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby perryfaithful » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:01 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:I applaud your efforts in this cause
Dean

:D :D :D
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Re: From The Journey to the Hall of Fame Committee (J2TH)

Postby Eric » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:09 pm

Keep up the good work!

Also, I think its important we get behind the new album..because in my opinion, they need a hit album to cement the fact their music does stand the test of time.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:09 am

I know a lot of you are passionate about this topic, but do the great majority of fans care if Journey ever gets into the HOF? I know I don't. I couldn't even tell you who is in and who isn't. As long as they keep making music, either together or individually, I am happy. I am sure Journey would be honored, but I don't think it makes them any "better" or "more important".
NealIsGod
MP3

Yep

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:33 am

NealIsGod,

I care - it is a huge thing and they deserve it!
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Re: Yep

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:02 am

Eric wrote:NealIsGod,

That is great. I completely agree that they deserve it! I just question if the public at large really takes the Rock and Roll HOF that seriously. People on this board have already said a lot of the acts who are not yet in deserve it a lot more than many acts who have been inducted. I agree with that. I just put Journey's induction into the HOF way down on my list of Journey priorities!
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:20 am

Let me clarify...

This WOF thing garnered Journey a lot of attention....the HOF thing would be 100x greater exposure. Also, any thing like that gives us fans more ammo to tell Journey-haters/critics to shove it up their ass....

By the way..why the fuck didn't they have their new album ready for this WOF thing? People flocked to the stores to buy their GH...if you throw the new CD packaged nicely right next to that you would have sold a few...
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:07 am

Eric wrote:This WOF thing garnered Journey a lot of attention....the HOF thing would be 100x greater exposure. Also, any thing like that gives us fans more ammo to tell Journey-haters/critics to shove it up their ass....

I guess if that's important to you. I don't care what others think of my musical taste. Not everyone likes what I like.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:32 am

Rock'ndeano wrote: The pretenders, Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, and ZZ Top... All good, all worthy, but I seriously wonder if they have either brought more to the table than JRNY, or frankly, were "better?"

Oh I can see why some of those bands got in before Journey. Journey may have sold more albums but they did not change the face of music like the Pretenders. They did not popularize a new style of music as much as ZZ Top. And they were never critic darlings like Jackson Browne.

Rock'ndeano wrote: they just don't like Journey for whatever reason...maybe it's a west coast thing, maybe it's the "corporate rock thing, or a Perry thing or whatever

I think it is a little of the 'corporate rock' thing AND the 'Perry' thing.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:37 am

Eric wrote:Keep up the good work!

Also, I think its important we get behind the new album..because in my opinion, they need a hit album to cement the fact their music does stand the test of time.

A hit CD WOULD defianately help. It would get Journey over the 'Perry' thin Deeno mentioned. If Journey were to ever score another big hit than Journey would finally step out of the Perry shadow. The Perry fans would stop the arguments because (OMG) the numbers would not be the same, but I think the general PUBLIC would finally accept Journey without Perry.

If that could happen then I think their road to the RORHOF would be smooth. But I don't see it happening.

Besides, if you pay attention to the nominees each year, there is always a large record label push/presence. Generally, about 80% of the nominees belong to the same record company. The RORHOF has become a MARKETING scheme.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:39 am

NealIsGod wrote:I know a lot of you are passionate about this topic, but do the great majority of fans care if Journey ever gets into the HOF? I know I don't. I couldn't even tell you who is in and who isn't. As long as they keep making music, either together or individually, I am happy. I am sure Journey would be honored, but I don't think it makes them any "better" or "more important".

And Neal is not concerned about it either. But in some ways this is the ultimate form of recognition for a band. So I can see why some fans are very passionate about this. I agree that what is important is the music...not the recognition. Recognition is just a nice bonus.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:42 am

Eric wrote:By the way..why the fuck didn't they have their new album ready for this WOF thing? People flocked to the stores to buy their GH...if you throw the new CD packaged nicely right next to that you would have sold a few...

I agree that it would have been a HUGE opportunity. But Journey missed it. There wasn't much time to put a good, full, CD together. And I would prefer Journey waits until the music is right instead of rushing out crap just to capatalize on a moment. There is still a LOT of momentum behind Journey right now. Neal's solo work and Soul SirkUS work is all generating more buzz for Journey as well.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:19 am

jrnyman28 wrote:I agree that it would have been a HUGE opportunity. But Journey missed it. There wasn't much time to put a good, full, CD together. And I would prefer Journey waits until the music is right instead of rushing out crap just to capatalize on a moment. There is still a LOT of momentum behind Journey right now. Neal's solo work and Soul SirkUS work is all generating more buzz for Journey as well.

I agree that it would have been a HUGE opportunity. But Journey missed it. There wasn't much time to put a good, full, CD together.

I disagree with that. They had YEARS to put together another CD. Even the Soul Sirkus CD was put together in a matter of months. They could have done it but Neal's time is too strung out over too many projects - and he decided to put Soul Sirkus BEFORE Journey. That is why Journey's CD was not done in time for the WOF...and Soul Sirkus WAS. If the tour starts in June and there is STILL no CD out, that is also the reason why...reworking Soul Sirkus, touring with Soul Sirkus...and not devoting enough time to Journey to get anything completed on time for them.

This is why I am not so excited about this CD and so many of the things Neal has said about it. If there is no CD ready, they won't be giving it out at the converts. If they wanted to do such things, the CD should have already been completed by now.
Monker
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:34 am

And Neal is not concerned about it either. .[/quote]

Bullshit. Neal is lying. He cares about it because it is more important than the WOF star. The WOF can and was bought buy the Fan Club..No crime there, but the HOF is a vote(or is supposed to be a vote by your peers)....Neal does give a crap as do I, and Eric, dude, you should be the spokesman for the group. I love your choice of words and the message as well.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby mnmsjrny » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:01 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:I applaud your efforts in this cause but you know what makes me sick? The fact that we need a petition to get this Band into a place where it should automaticcally be sailing into.. I see some bands going in and I need to rub my eyes that they are going before Journey..eg: The pretenders, Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, and ZZ Top... All good, all worthy, but I seriously wonder if they have either brought more to the table than JRNY, or frankly, were "better?"

Thanks... this is an on-going project. Hopefully some of the noise from Hollywood and beyond will help some. My take on the bands you listed is that they deserve to be there and waited their turn to be inducted. (Only The Pretenders made it in during their first year of eligibility. Bob Seger had fans campaigning for his induction for several years.)
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:03 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:Bullshit. Neal is lying. He cares about it because it is more important than the WOF star.

Sorry, but I think Neal is used to being overlooked. The critics have dismissed Journey for years. All the Top 100 lists for guitarist miss his name. But he has many peers/friends that have publicly praised him. That is what is important to him. His fans and his true peers. The RORHOF is not a peer vote. There is a committee that votes. And that committee is made up largely for record executives. They don't respect Neal or Journey for whatever reason so forget 'em!

Now I am sure that being nominated and inducted will be a thrill for Neal and all of Journey, but I do not believe Neal wastes any time or energy thinking about it.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby mnmsjrny » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:04 am

NealIsGod wrote:
Eric wrote:NealIsGod,

That is great. I completely agree that they deserve it! I just question if the public at large really takes the Rock and Roll HOF that seriously. People on this board have already said a lot of the acts who are not yet in deserve it a lot more than many acts who have been inducted. I agree with that. I just put Journey's induction into the HOF way down on my list of Journey priorities!

Oh it's definitely a hugely political process -- we have no illusions about that. The research we've done so far shows that it's a *very* insular crowd, and whether or not we can make any difference remains to be seen. But one thing remains constant -- you never know what will happen unless you try.
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby mnmsjrny » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:35 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
Rock'ndeano wrote:Bullshit. Neal is lying. He cares about it because it is more important than the WOF star.

Sorry, but I think Neal is used to being overlooked.

Probably true, but don't confused being "used to" with not caring.

The critics have dismissed Journey for years. All the Top 100 lists for guitarist miss his name. But he has many peers/friends that have publicly praised him. That is what is important to him. His fans and his true peers.

Absolutely. This will be an uphill battle because of the general dismissing of Journey as "corporate rock".

The RORHOF is not a peer vote. There is a committee that votes. And that committee is made up largely for record executives. They don't respect Neal or Journey for whatever reason so forget 'em!

There are actually 2 bodies -- the nominating committee (who we're asking letters to be sent to) consists of about 30 people, mostly made up of execs and critics. I think there's only one actual musician on the nominating committee (which is a huge oversight IMO!) The voting body is a bit larger -- about 1,000 people and include a somewhat broader spectrum of people.

Now I am sure that being nominated and inducted will be a thrill for Neal and all of Journey, but I do not believe Neal wastes any time or energy thinking about it.

I doubt any of them spend LOTS of time thinking about it, but I know they do. Ross, for one, keeps mentioning Cleveland ...
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby Eric » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:59 am

Monker is right - they have had years to write new material and they knew about the WOF a long time ago.....when will they have that much spotlight again?

Soul Sirkus can barely be described as a side project at this point

I believe they are all hoping hard for Cleveland.....
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:23 pm

Eric wrote:Monker is right - they have had years to write new material and they knew about the WOF a long time ago.....when will they have that much spotlight again?

It is one in a series of opportunities missed. They missed the buzz after the Bammies WOF, and after the Main Event tour...Even though many loved this last tour, I think they should have skipped it and concentrated on writing and recording the new CD. IMO, it seems that touring and Soul Sirkus have a much higher priority then any new Journey music. If they get Gregg to come out for a tour, I think it would be an awesome opportunity for a DVD...but, if there is no 'guest' like Gregg or Perry. then what's the big deal? Aynsley and Tickner and Fleischman? Err...so?

Yep...and it's disapointing for me. Not only does it delay Journey but I don't care for the SS songs that much. It sounds like a cross between Hardline and HSAS...I never cared much for Hardline (even tho Neal was AWESOME on that CD) and I would rather hear Sammy then JSS.

I don't think so. They know better. They are sorta stalled in new music and the priorities are such that Journey is not always first.
Monker
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:41 pm

Monker wrote:
Eric wrote:Monker is right - they have had years to write new material and they knew about the WOF a long time ago.....when will they have that much spotlight again?

It is one in a series of opportunities missed. They missed the buzz after the Bammies WOF, and after the Main Event tour...Even though many loved this last tour, I think they should have skipped it and concentrated on writing and recording the new CD. IMO, it seems that touring and Soul Sirkus have a much higher priority then any new Journey music. If they get Gregg to come out for a tour, I think it would be an awesome opportunity for a DVD...but, if there is no 'guest' like Gregg or Perry. then what's the big deal? Aynsley and Tickner and Fleischman? Err...so?

Yep...and it's disapointing for me. Not only does it delay Journey but I don't care for the SS songs that much. It sounds like a cross between Hardline and HSAS...I never cared much for Hardline (even tho Neal was AWESOME on that CD) and I would rather hear Sammy then JSS.

I don't think so. They know better. They are sorta stalled in new music

and the priorities are such that Journey is not always first.

Monker- do you actually own the album or are you just gauging it on free 15 second sound bytes available on the website?

Also, anyone else think the SirkUS track, Higher Ground, would make for an awesome Journey track, in the same hard rockin vein as "The Time" on Red 13? I know it may be harder than what Journey fans are accustomed to hearing, but then again, isn't that the vibe Neal has been eager to take the band for awhile now?

Similarly, it has recently been revealed (as per a JSS interview) that the very Journey-sounding track "Believe in Me" was written by Neal for Planet Us, only to have Sammy turn it down on the basis of it being "too poppy". Neal then handed it over to JSS and it eventually made its way onto JSS's latest solo album. Here's the question; with the song being so so so clearly Journey-ish, why wasn't Neal's first impulse to hand the song over to Journey? Why did he immediately give it to SoulSirkUS?
Seems his #1 priority is currently SoulSirkUS.
Frankly, like Red 13, I do not expect this new album to be ready by the time of the start of the tour.

I wouldn't be suprised if much of this next Journey album was written largely by Augeri and Cain. Augeri has stated at one point (about a ballad he was writing about his wife) that Cain had really taken him under his wing and served as a mentor, of sorts. Similarly Perry used to say the same things. He frequently (NOTE:I am paraphrasing here) stated that as a song writer, Jon Cain took him to a whole 'nother level. I think he made a similar comment in the Time3 booklet.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby perryfaithful » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:31 pm

Monker wrote:[

about sums it up for me also
"In Journey, all the hit songs we had were based around Steve Perry's vocals."

Neal Schon
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby heardonthestreet » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:54 am

I can't see Perry ever doing a guest appearence for Journey, can you PF?
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby mnmsjrny » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:43 am

Um... folks... I'd really appreciate it if we could not hijack this thread. While I certainly agree on some of the missed opportunities and other items discussed, I'd like to keep this focused on the HOF. Thanks gang!
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:59 am

Yeah - Perry and/or Rolie would be a special guest...and that is about it.

The Soul Sirkus album is kinda ho-hum for me. There are some good tunes like Coming Home - but nothing on it is even close to as energy filled as Believe in Me (for me personally)...I don't really hear a lot of Hardline, but it sounds like a little edgier and duller version of HSAS...I still would love to see them though and will buy any music they produce - it just doesn't excite me like a Journey does....

A thread kinda has a life of its own.....can't really control it - but I understand your concern about negativity...
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:00 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Also, anyone else think the SirkUS track, Higher Ground, would make for an awesome Journey track, in the same hard rockin vein as "The Time" on Red 13? I know it may be harder than what Journey fans are accustomed to hearing, but then again, isn't that the vibe Neal has been eager to take the band for awhile now?

Actually, I think it is very Hardline-ish. But really, it strikes me as an easy song for Neal to knock out. It sounds a lot like Higher Place and it really doesn't sound 'too hard' for Journey at all.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Similarly, it has recently been revealed (as per a JSS interview) that the very Journey-sounding track "Believe in Me" was written by Neal for Planet Us, only to have Sammy turn it down on the basis of it being "too poppy". Neal then handed it over to JSS and it eventually made its way onto JSS's latest solo album. Here's the question; with the song being so so so clearly Journey-ish, why wasn't Neal's first impulse to hand the song over to Journey? Why did he immediately give it to SoulSirkUS?
Seems his #1 priority is currently SoulSirkUS.

Good point, but at the time Journey wasn't recording. Maybe he just didn't want to let the song sit. Maybe he also didn't feel like it fit what he wants for Journey...even if it does sound Journey. (I haven't heard the song so I am not sure) Maybe he didn't think it was good enough for Journey.

Just some possibilities.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I wouldn't be suprised if much of this next Journey album was written largely by Augeri and Cain. Augeri has stated at one point (about a ballad he was writing about his wife) that Cain had really taken him under his wing and served as a mentor, of sorts. Similarly Perry used to say the same things. He frequently (NOTE:I am paraphrasing here) stated that as a song writer, Jon Cain took him to a whole 'nother level. I think he made a similar comment in the Time3 booklet.

This I can see. Yet, if Neal really wants to rock, it will take HIS influence to do so. Personally, I would like Neal to reign it in just a little with Journey. Go back to the more melodic singing guitar. Instead of the finger blur solos.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:34 pm

Monker- do you actually own the album or are you just gauging it on free 15 second sound bytes available on the website?

Neither. I have heard most of it on JIFR, internet radio.

I wouldn't be suprised if much of this next Journey album was written largely by Augeri and Cain. Augeri has stated at one point (about a ballad he was writing about his wife) that Cain had really taken him under his wing and served as a mentor, of sorts. Similarly Perry used to say the same things. He frequently (NOTE:I am paraphrasing here) stated that as a song writer, Jon Cain took him to a whole 'nother level. I think he made a similar comment in the Time3 booklet.
[/quote]

I hope this is true....Jonathan is an awesome songwriter so maybe he'll bring out the best Augeri has to give, and Neal can fill int he melodic musical bits. That sounds like a good plan to me.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:38 pm

Eric wrote:A thread kinda has a life of its own.....can't really control it - but I understand your concern about negativity...

I agree...There are maybe a dozen active posters on this forum. I don't see how any one person can control ALL of them, even Andrew. When you post a topic you allow anybody to comment on it in whatever way they choose. The conversation goes where it does...you can't control it. If all a person wants to do is post a 'notice' with no replies allowed, maybe Andrew can do it for them.
Monker
MP3

Postby perryfaithful » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:00 am

[quote="mnmsjrny"]Just a note to let you know to keep those letters coming! We need to send lots of letters to the Nominating Committee. Feel free to write your own wonderful letter, or go to our website at http://journeytothehalloffame.com for lots of good information.

Michelle....this comment regarding the petition is from the website. I am wondering how this is done and what the status is. Thanks!

"There are over 10,000 names which are right now being verified and will be shipped to the RnRHoF shortly"
"In Journey, all the hit songs we had were based around Steve Perry's vocals."

Neal Schon
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Journey