The NEW Rank Your Journey CDs

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

The NEW Rank Your Journey CDs

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:24 am

Thank you Mamos. ;)

1. Departure (Journey at it's best)
2. Frontiers (Escape used to be #2 but I have tired of many of the songs now)
3. Escape
4. Generations (I almost put Geneartions at 3, but it is still new. I KNOW Escape has stood a long test of time)
4.5 ;) Red13 (It is only an EP, but I love it so I wanted up high in my list..imagine if Elson re-mixed it!!)
5. Infinity (The beginning of Journey's reign)
6. Evolution
7. Arrival (The new beginning)
8. Dream After Dream (Very different, maybe that is what I love best. But it ranks lower because many songs are OBVIOUSLY just movie score)
9. TBF (Happy to see Journey back. But I only put it above the pre-Perry material because the song structure and production was better)
10. Journey (I love all three Pre-Perry CDs, they should just be in their own list since they are quite different. I do prefer the musical style of the future CDs)
11. Next
12. Look Into The Future
13. ROR (Yes, I put this at the bottom of the list. It has good songs and good performances. But it is the least Journey CD of the list. It is the 2nd least 'rock' cd of the list behind DAD. It appears to be a charade in Journey's history.)

Let me be clear that this is a rank of Journey CDs. They are varying degrees of like. It simply means that I like some LESS than others...I like them all.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Rank

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:33 am

1) ROR
2) Escape
3) Frontiers
4) Arrival
5) Red 13
6) Departure
7) Trial By Fire
8) Infinity
9) Evolution

Pre-Perry all lumped together.
Incidentally, Time 3 is the best box set ever made, and The Time is my single favorite (at least Journey) song. It's almost enough on it's own to put Red over Arrival on my list but the sheer number of good tunes Arrival had beat Red. Re
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:40 am

Here's my list.

1) ESC4P3
2) Frontiers
3) Generations
4) Evolution
5) Infinity
6) Captured
7) Departure
9) Dream After Dream
10) Arrival
11) ROR
12) Red 13
13) Trial By Fire
14) Next
15) Look into the Future
16) Journey

The new CD is great. Blows Arrival away IMO.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:47 am

NiG,
You skipped #8! :D
And I did not include and compilations such as "Captured", GH, GHL, In The Beginning, or Essential. If I had, I am really not sure where Captured would fit..pretty high though. But GHL would probably be at the bottom instead of ROR.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

NealGod

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:49 am

Dude, does it really blow Arrival away? I can see we feel differently about THAT album but I seriously can't wait to get this thing. I wish the HELL they would put it out retail already. The clips I've heard Augeri sounds amazing.
And Neal is Neal. I mean who's better? I think I can hear some mean rythym riffs from him on the clips, somehting I'm digging more and more out of Neal anymore not only just his leads. Seems to be putting more time lately into making his rythms badass...
Last edited by Red13JoePa on Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:59 am

To me, Arrival is a solid CD, but just didn't scream JOURNEY to me. It has its moments. Generations is more rock and roll, more varied than Arrival. The kind of CD you don't get sick of very fast. And you are right, Neal is on his game (is he ever off it) on this one. With Arrival, the sense I got from Journey is they were trying a new lineup, and we will see if it works. With Generations, they have really come together and NOW it is like Journey is reborn.
NealIsGod
MP3

NealGod

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:04 am

HHHHHHHHMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
definately encouraged and intrigued by Gens.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby mnmsjrny » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:30 am

Hmmm... this is hard, but I'll give it a shot

1. Eacape (I know, an easy "safe" choice, but this album just means the world to me. I *still* get goosebumps when I hear the opening of DSB.)
2. Frontiers
3. Arrival (I am still surprised how fast I fell in love with this album)
4. Departure
5. Generations (Newness gives advantage over Infinity and keeps it in the middle of the pack. More time it may rise.)
6. Infinity (Close tie with Generations.)
7. Evolution
8. TBF (What could have been...)
9. ROR (The only one that doesn't stand the test of time, IMO)

Journey, Look into the Future, Next & Dream After Dream all kind of fall into a lump of "don't listen to 'em enough to rank" I *like* 'em, but not as familiar so not as ingrained to have a solid, consitent opinion. Red 13, being an EP, just doesn't have enough on it to rank.
mnmsjrny
45 RPM

Postby mamos » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:50 am

1. Escape( have to be #1 not a bummer amongst the tracks)
2. Frontiers( a few tracks set it a part from the pack)
3. Arrival(sorry but I really do Love this cd)
4. Evolution(worth it just for Lady Luck. But the rest are great too)
5. Departure(Great from the start to the finish)
6. Infinity(not much to choose between this and Deaprture)
7. TBF(some great tracks, too many ballads)
8. Red 13(don't know why just never grabbed me like the rest)
9. ROR(some songs are great, but just too soft. Things looked bad here)

Hopefully when I get Generations, it will be near the top!!! I am confident

A note on Captured, although I haven't listed it, due to it being a Live album it's hard to rate against normal albums. I would say it's the best live album ever by any band.

The pre Perry ones I haven't listed I would agree that they fall pretty much together.
Mark
mamos
Ol' 78

Re: NealGod

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:02 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Dude, does it really blow Arrival away? I can see we feel differently about THAT album but I seriously can't wait to get this thing.

Arrival suffered for the ballads (fillers). Too many, too long a CD. And, while I was so thankful for World Gone Wild and Nothing Comes Close, their production levels were lower than the rest. Arrival was a CD full of 'Sony wants something that sounds like Perry-era Journey' songs. They didn't all feel right. The stand-out tracks were the ones that hinted at the new direction of Journey...IMO.

Red13JoePa wrote:And Neal is Neal. I mean who's better? I think I can hear some mean rythym riffs from him on the clips, somehting I'm digging more and more out of Neal anymore not only just his leads. Seems to be putting more time lately into making his rythms badass...

I wonder if some of those rhythm riffs are Steve Augeri. He does play guitar on this CD.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:03 am

mnmsjrny wrote:Hmmm... this is hard, but I'll give it a shot

Journey, Look into the Future, Next & Dream After Dream all kind of fall into a lump of "don't listen to 'em enough to rank" I *like* 'em, but not as familiar so not as ingrained to have a solid, consitent opinion. Red 13, being an EP, just doesn't have enough on it to rank.

I understand and agree. That is why they are so low on my list.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:04 am

mamos wrote:A note on Captured, although I haven't listed it, due to it being a Live album it's hard to rate against normal albums. I would say it's the best live album ever by any band.

Absolutely. I am not a fan of Live Albums, but "Captured" is live at it's best.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:16 am

Boy, everyone has different tastes, eh?

Relax mamos, I am sending you a copy today to bloody ol England..You fuckers stole the Olympics from NY :twisted: Thats ok, you can deal with the terrorism :wink:

Anyway,--

1)Tie- Escape- Just too good, too solid
2)Tie- Generations- wait til you all hear it, on a good system
3)Frontiers- Take Back Talk and Troubled Child off, stick Ask the Lonely and Only the Young, it shoots to number 1
4)Departure- all those duets and lead vox..awesome
5)Evolution-NO sophmore slump(of the vocal albums)
6)Infinity-this was the turning point..not only Steves arrival, but more radio friendly
7)Trial by whatever Steve perry Says-weird one. 3 real good rockers, 2 moderate songs, 1 beautiful love song, and elevator fillers
8)Tie-ArrivalHigher Place is just so solid, and Alive Again is great. note-the US version is 10 times better than the Japanese version.
8)Tie-Raised on Radio- Perry's vocals carry this one..Schon is kind of along for the ride, although he does his best on Be Good--
9)Red 13- Experiment..turn away now
10)Dream after Dream- eerie but relaxing, storytelling. Fantastic music/songwriting here

Live CD's-

1) Captured-Easily the Best
2)Greatest Hits Live- Easily the worst..terrible overdubs, no crowd noise, yuk.
The band should now give us either a live ROR era CD, or a 2005 Live CD to compensate for this cash in..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby mamos » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:22 am

Much appreciated Deano.

Eagerly awaiting. Your a star. :D
Mark
mamos
Ol' 78

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:23 am

mamos wrote:Much appreciated Deano.

Eagerly awaiting. Your a star. :D

You're welcome

Ps- It is costing 13 USD to send it to you: about a week; has to clear cutoms..
Last edited by Rockindeano on Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

28:

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:39 am

Regarding the possibility of it being Augie on some rythym parts:
Wound't that be wild? Jon plays nasty rythm on Stone In Love live now, too. I wanna believe it's all Neal, but who really cares as long as it sounds good. Red13 has cain credited as some rythm guitar. I'd imagine he had to play rythym on The Time live cuz the lead and rythm parts are both such huge parts of the song and though both played probably by Neal on the record it must''ve required Cain to play live. Anybody who went to an Under The Radar show able to tell me if Jon played guitar live on The Time? Don't see a lot of room for a keyboard in there anyway. I digress....sorry.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Re: 28:

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:49 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Regarding the possibility of it being Augie on some rythym parts:
Wound't that be wild? Jon plays nasty rythm on Stone In Love live now, too. I wanna believe it's all Neal, but who really cares as long as it sounds good. Red13 has cain credited as some rythm guitar. I'd imagine he had to play rythym on The Time live cuz the lead and rythm parts are both such huge parts of the song and though both played probably by Neal on the record it must''ve required Cain to play live. Anybody who went to an Under The Radar show able to tell me if Jon played guitar live on The Time? Don't see a lot of room for a keyboard in there anyway. I digress....sorry.

Hey also, If you go back and listen to Higher Place..In the studio version, there is definatley 2 guitars..Live, Jon subtitutes his keys on the guitar part..doesn't sound as good.. Very noticeable
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

DeanoMyMan

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:57 am

Dude, that's why I LOVE Higher Place. Arrival's guitars, no matter how many you hear are all Neal all the time. At least he's the only one credited. And it DOES lose something live withut both guitars. I love the way Augeri harmonizes the ad-lib "Forget what was..." lyrics over Neal's stunning amazing solo at the end of that song. Something Augeri also does great is subtle little harmony vocalz that adorn other parts of the song. I have a couple recordings of him doing Anytime with Jon and he weaves these crazy cool bluesy harmony lyrics absent from the studio version for the last part of the song where it's Jon going, "if you need me" and Neal soloing.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby OpeningAct » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:06 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:Boy, everyone has different tastes, eh?

Relax mamos, I am sending you a copy today to bloody ol England..You fuckers stole the Olympics from NY :twisted: Thats ok, you can deal with the terrorism :wink:

Anyway,--

1)Tie- Escape- Just too good, too solid
2)Tie- Generations- wait til you all hear it, on a good system
3)Frontiers- Take Back Talk and Troubled Child off, stick Ask the Lonely and Only the Young, it shoots to number 1
4)Departure- all those duets and lead vox..awesome
5)Evolution-NO sophmore slump(of the vocal albums)
6)Infinity-this was the turning point..not only Steves arrival, but more radio friendly
7)Trial by whatever Steve perry Says-weird one. 3 real good rockers, 2 moderate songs, 1 beautiful love song, and elevator fillers
8)Tie-ArrivalHigher Place is just so solid, and Alive Again is great. note-the US version is 10 times better than the Japanese version.
8)Tie-Raised on Radio- Perry's vocals carry this one..Schon is kind of along for the ride, although he does his best on Be Good--
9)Red 13- Experiment..turn away now
10)Dream after Dream- eerie but relaxing, storytelling. Fantastic music/songwriting here

Live CD's-

1) Captured-Easily the Best
2)Greatest Hits Live- Easily the worst..terrible overdubs, no crowd noise, yuk.
The band should now give us either a live ROR era CD, or a 2005 Live CD to compensate for this cash in..
Completely agree with you regarding the Frontier comments, although I do like Troubled Child. And Back Talk just blows...so does the song...;)
OpeningAct
LP

Postby SF-Dano » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:43 am

Here is my list. Only heard the clips from Generations, so I will not include it at this time. (They sound pretty damn good to me though!)

1.) Captured
2.) Escape
3.) Infininity
4.) Evolution
5.) Frontiers
6.) Departure
7.) Arrival
8.) Next
9.) Greatest Hits Live
10.) Trial By Fire
11.) Look Into the Future
12.) Journey
13.) Raised on Radio
14.) Red 13
15.) Dream After Dream

Am I forgeting something? Feels like I'm forgetting something. Oh Well.
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby cubby69 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:51 pm

Alright, after having listened to Generations for a few days now, here we go:

1. Departure - no contest, Journey at its absolute best!
2. Next - One of best overall Journey albums, so many different sounds.
3. Red 13-May have been short (songs and production), but still kicked ass.
4. Evolution - Damn near perfect
5. Generations - Very excited about this one...very versatile.
6. Infinity - What a great start this album was
7. Look Into The Future - this one is very special to me, always will be.
8. Frontiers - Not my favorite, but I still love it.
9. Journey - What a classic!
10. Trial By Fire - Last hurrah with Perry, filled w/ballads but still good.
11. Escape - I know, I know, everyones favorite....eh?... :roll:
12. Arrival - Sony making Journey sound as if Perry was still there... :?:
13. Dream After Dream - Very very different, but a great album.
14. Any other album Journey ever made.
99. Raised On Radio - pure pop crap, should never have been done.
When its all boiled down and the days at an end, I'll give you no bullshit and I'll never pretend.
cubby69
Ol' 78

Postby The Fly » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:37 am

Here's my list.

1. Escape
2. Generations
3. Frontiers
4. Infinity
5. Departure
6. Evolution
7. Arrival
8. Captured
9. ROR
10. Next
11. Look into the Future
12. Journey
13. Dream After Dream
14. Red 13
15. Trial By Fire
The Fly
45 RPM

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:48 am

cubby69 wrote:14. Any other album Journey ever made.
99. Raised On Radio - pure pop crap, should never have been done.

:D
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:49 am

ScarabMan, nice to see you. "Generations" at #2, huh? Do you think it will stay there?
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby The Fly » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:49 am

jrnyman28 wrote:ScarabMan, nice to see you. "Generations" at #2, huh? Do you think it will stay there?

It just might. Only time will tell. Right now it's so fresh and new. But I love it!! About time they rocked out like this. :D
The Fly
45 RPM

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:29 am

ScarabMan wrote:
jrnyman28 wrote:ScarabMan, nice to see you. "Generations" at #2, huh? Do you think it will stay there?

It just might. Only time will tell. Right now it's so fresh and new. But I love it!! About time they rocked out like this. :D

100% agree. I gave it a cautious grade due to the newness...but it is definately an AWESOME CD!!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Kaj » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:27 pm

Everybody´s ranking the new album high just because it´s new and they wanna impress all that hasn´t heard it yet,it is still really good but no contender for the top 5 in the JRNY collection.
I have been listenining to this band since the very first album and will never forget the feeling when Perry entered the band on "Infinity" - such a classic album but the feeling when Escape was released is even more emotional.......i still get the shivers while listening to that album.
They´re not even close of doing that on "Generations"....however it is really good coz they´re still Journey and they can never put out a bad album.
I wasn´t so fond of "Red 13" but it´s only an EP so I wont count it along with the rest,also Time and Captured or any other collection aren´t included on my list.
This is my ranking:

1.Escape
2.Infinity
3.Frontiers
4.Raised on radio
5.Departure
6.Evolution
7.Trial by fire
8.Arrival
9.Generations
10.Next
11.Look into the future
12.Journey
Kaj
Ol' 78

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:55 am

Kaj wrote:Everybody´s ranking the new album high just because it´s new and they wanna impress all that hasn´t heard it yet,it is still really good but no contender for the top 5 in the JRNY collection.

Not me. I honestly feel that it is that good of a CD. I like it better than Arrival, which DID get higher marks from me when it was released due to excitement. Escape still holds a lot of memories with me, but some of the songs are so played out that, as a whole, it no longer stacks up as much. That is why Frontiers has overtaken Escape. Nothing will beat Departure in my mind as Journey at it's best. And I LOVED RED13 and would be overjoyed if Elson were to re-mix it so that it would sound better. But the music and lyrics are phenominal to me.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby The Fly » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:38 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
Kaj wrote:Everybody´s ranking the new album high just because it´s new and they wanna impress all that hasn´t heard it yet,it is still really good but no contender for the top 5 in the JRNY collection.

Not me. I honestly feel that it is that good of a CD. I like it better than Arrival, which DID get higher marks from me when it was released due to excitement. Escape still holds a lot of memories with me, but some of the songs are so played out that, as a whole, it no longer stacks up as much. That is why Frontiers has overtaken Escape. Nothing will beat Departure in my mind as Journey at it's best. And I LOVED RED13 and would be overjoyed if Elson were to re-mix it so that it would sound better. But the music and lyrics are phenominal to me.

I honestly feel it's that good too. But I didn't care for Red 13 much. It just didn't have the hooks that I am used to with Journey. Liked it at first and got real tired of it quickly. And I hate TBF!!! LOL.... It just wasn't Journey to me. Generations is the CD I have been waiting for since Frontiers. I think it will always be in my top two or three Journey CD's.
The Fly
45 RPM

Postby NealIsGod » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:42 am

ScarabMan wrote:Generations is the CD I have been waiting for since Frontiers. I think it will always be in my top two or three Journey CD's.

That is exactly how I feel. I have listened to this CD a lot now, and I can honestly say there is not as bad song on it. I really like that there is a lot of piano on this one, which gives the CD more of an ESC4P3 vibe that Frontiers.
Last edited by NealIsGod on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
NealIsGod
MP3

Next

Return to Journey