Perry's voice on David Pack's new song.......SAD

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Perry's voice on David Pack's new song.......SAD

Postby Free » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:29 am

For anyone who thinks that Perry didn't tour for the TBF record because of health reasons, listen to this new clip with his voice on David Pack's new one.

I for one have beat up on Augeri's voice this tour. But if you had Perry up there now, it would be horrible.

Perry certainly did the right thing by retiring even though I didn't want him to. I just wish he would have been truthful about why he didn't want to tour anymore.

But I know. His voice hasn't changed. Right Perry heads?
Free
45 RPM

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:32 am

I had to re-read that post to realize what you are saying...you are saying that Perry doesn't sound good on this clip right? I am surprised. I think he sounds very good. But it would be completely different live then in the studio.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Liz22562 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:13 am

Free: You are absolutely entitled to your opinion.

One question though, ARE YOU NUTS? lol

I suppose my speakers and ears are tuned differently. The little that you can hear, he sounds amazing as always!
Liz22562
8 Track

Postby Marabelle » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:49 pm

your comments lead me to consider; if his voice sounds so bad and Steve's the echo of Mr. Pack's voice than I would conclude that David Pack's voice would also be suspect to your critical ear. i would also conclude that if Mr. Pack did not like the voice than surely he would not want it on his record. He's heard it and evidentically decided the voice warranted to be on his record. I can only surmise that David Pack was so honored to have his vocal abilities on his record otherwise you and the rest of us would not be listening to it on this site and others. And since Steve is his own worse critic; I am certain if he did not like the way his voice mastered the material irregardless how much David wanted it; we would not be hearing it on any record whistling, singing or humming or shadowing.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:57 pm

Marabelle wrote:your comments lead me to consider; if his voice sounds so bad and Steve's the echo of Mr. Pack's voice than I would conclude that David Pack's voice would also be suspect to your critical ear. i would also conclude that if Mr. Pack did not like the voice than surely he would not want it on his record. He's heard it and evidentically decided the voice warranted to be on his record. I can only surmise that David Pack was so honored to have his vocal abilities on his record otherwise you and the rest of us would not be listening to it on this site and others. And since Steve is his own worse critic; I am certain if he did not like the way his voice mastered the material irregardless how much David wanted it; we would not be hearing it on any record whistling, singing or humming or shadowing.

Oh, give the propaganda a rest. Steve Perry could sing like a frog and David Pack would want him on the CD simply for the publicity and the posibility of selling a few hundred more CD's to the Perry fans.

And, I haven't heard this song. I simply don't care enough to give it any attention.
Monker
MP3

Postby Marabelle » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:04 pm

oh monker, bite me!

i don't think steve would let anyone use his voice just to sell a few hundred records. he likes to sing but he has a bit more pride than
that. hundred! lol! it hasn't gotten that bad yet. lol!
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Andrew » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:46 pm

He does sound good, but he is singing WELL within his old range - nothing challenging there. I posted something about this in the main song thread.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby mamos » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:28 pm

He does sound good on the track as we would expect. And it's really good to hear his voice again.

But hasn't he been singing well within his range for years now. Not really anything challenging on 'Strange Medicine or TBF either.
Mark
mamos
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:43 pm

mamos wrote:He does sound good on the track as we would expect. And it's really good to hear his voice again.

But hasn't he been singing well within his range for years now. Not really anything challenging on 'Strange Medicine or TBF either.

Quite correct.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby perryfaithful » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:41 pm

Oh for cryin out loud! The poor man can not make an appearance without singing something deemed "challenging?"
"In Journey, all the hit songs we had were based around Steve Perry's vocals."

Neal Schon
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:53 pm

Oh for cryin out loud! The poor man can not make an appearance without singing something deemed "challenging?"

I think the point is, a point that I have been repeating for over ten years, that Perry has been 'experimenting with his lower range" since the Frontiers album. He moved from 'experimenting' to using his 'lower range' basicaly exclusively. That lower range is not how most JOurney songs were written. So, how and what Perry has chosen to sing from the ROR tour on seems to show that he has lost his upper range and it is very doubtful that he can sing Journey songs even close to the range they were written in.
Monker
MP3

Postby OpeningAct » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:08 am

Monker wrote:

I think the point is, a point that I have been repeating for over ten years, that Perry has been 'experimenting with his lower range" since the Frontiers album. He moved from 'experimenting' to using his 'lower range' basicaly exclusively. That lower range is not how most JOurney songs were written. So, how and what Perry has chosen to sing from the ROR tour on seems to show that he has lost his upper range and it is very doubtful that he can sing Journey songs even close to the range they were written in.
Nice post Monker! I believe some of Perry's best vocals were on "Street Talk." Listen how low his voice is at the start of "Captured by the Moment." Absolutely loved his voice on this album. Sounds as though he had a BLAST signing as well.
OpeningAct
LP

Postby heardonthestreet » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:24 am

Higher range my ass.! He looks different today. He's not that skinny kid with the high voice and that voice suited him then but his voice changed and matured as he did. I feel that all of the Journey songs would be greatly enhanced if he sang them today in his beautiful, more mellow voice. He himself made fun of the way he sounded back when he sang "Open Arms." It was perfect for then but I expect a more mellow sound from the way he looks today, but then I thought that his voice for WYLAW was perfection, so I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder. The only thing about that song is that when I first heard it, I thought he started it out with "If my wife asks you where I've been,"..............and It's stuck in my head that way.
Last edited by heardonthestreet on Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby Hippie » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:49 am

It was perfect for then but I expect a more mellow sound from the way he looks today

That's the problem. He is more mellow now. There's nothing wrong with that mind you, it sounds fine. FTLOSM was a great album.

But the rest of Journey don't want to be mellow; they still favor a hard rock sound. (similar to the rift in Styx).

So what's wrong with the two camps taking separate paths? Let Perry go on and do mellow and let Journey go on and do hard rock.

Seems like a win win situation to me.
Hippie
45 RPM

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:53 am

I agree, Hippie. I think we all break out the lite stuff once in a while. Perry could really do well in that genre, and has already with Foolish Heart and songs of that ilk.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby perryfaithful » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:21 am

NealIsGod wrote:I agree, Hippie. I think we all break out the lite stuff once in a while. Perry could really do well in that genre, and has already with Foolish Heart and songs of that ilk.

Yet, I think he sounded great on "Message of Love" as well. So........

As for Street Talk, YES YES but go a little further and find some outstanding vocals on ROR. Why Can't This Night was stunning, just stunning!!

Neal Schon
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:35 am

heardonthestreet wrote:Higher range my ass! ... but his voice changed and matured as he did. I feel that all the Journey songs would be greatly enhanced if he sang them today in his beautiful, more mellow voice.

Funny. You feel the songs would be enhanced, yet everyone talks about wanting the 'Perry' sound. Which would refer to the sound that made him famous.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:42 am

[quote="perryfaithful"]Yet, I think he sounded great on "Message of Love" as well. So........

As for Street Talk, YES YES but go a little further and find some outstanding vocals on ROR. Why Can't This Night was stunning, just stunning!![/quote]

He sounded good on Message of Love, but in his mid-range voice. And Raised on Radio was sooooo long ago. It seems most of us feel like he has lost the high range, and that he is more suited to sing the lighter stuff now. Without Journey, I don't see him putting out a "rock" CD. I could be wrong, but it's just my feeling.

Can anyone tell me why, when I quote someone, it does not display in a white box?[/quote]
NealIsGod
MP3

YEA!

Postby Red13JoePa » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:55 am

YEa, howdaya get that look to the quotes? I need that too.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby perryfaithful » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:37 am

NealIsGod wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:Yet, I think he sounded great on "Message of Love" as well. So........

As for Street Talk, YES YES but go a little further and find some outstanding vocals on ROR. Why Can't This Night was stunning, just stunning!!

He sounded good on Message of Love, but in his mid-range voice. And Raised on Radio was sooooo long ago. It seems most of us feel like he has lost the high range, and that he is more suited to sing the lighter stuff now. Without Journey, I don't see him putting out a "rock" CD. I could be wrong, but it's just my feeling.

Can anyone tell me why, when I quote someone, it does not display in a white box?
[/quote]

NIG, to clarify myself

I was addressing the "rocking" issue with Message of Love, nothing to do with range

"Why Can't this Night" was stunning. I hadn't even considered range in making that comment

As for the white box, are you guys using the quote button to respond??

Neal Schon
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:59 am

Yes, but it still comes out like that. Weird.

Yes, I have no doubt Perry CAN rock, but I don't think his heart is with the rock stuff anymore. I think he really prefers soulful, melodic "light" rock. They guy is almost 60, so I don't blame him. I am mellowing out already, and I'm not even 40 yet.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:00 am

Lying to yourself makes one at peace one's self?

Perry flatout sucked on TBF.. Those songs where you could here him gasping for air was embarrassing.. Please just be honest. Most of those songs were not that hard to sing. Deen could nail all them, and sound much better doing it.
Last edited by Rockindeano on Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:05 am

True, Deano. I was just trying to be nice! :wink:
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby sadie65 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:06 am

NealIsGod wrote:Yes, but it still comes out like that. Weird.

Forgive me for stepping in here...

To quote the entire post, you only need to use the quote button. To quote a portion of a post, first hit quote button. Then highlight section you want to quote and hit quote button again. That section will then come up in white when you respond. Hope that helps.

Peace
Sadie
sadie65
Stereo LP

Postby sadie65 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:07 am

NealIsGod wrote:Yes, but it still comes out like that. Weird.

Forgive me for stepping in here...

To quote the entire post, you only need to use the quote button. To quote a portion of a post, first hit quote button. Then highlight section you want to quote and hit quote button again. That section will then come up in white when you respond. Hope that helps.

Peace
Sadie
sadie65
Stereo LP

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:09 am

Thanks, Sadie, but that is exactly what I am doing. It used to work fine for me, but has not for that past month or two. Maybe it has something to do with the checkboxes underneath where I type my post? Which ones should be checked?
NealIsGod
MP3

TBF Material:

Postby Red13JoePa » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:09 am

You guyz heard Augeri front Message, Castles and Can't Tame The Lion? Does a fine (and I mean that in the true sense of the word, no the "OK" sense) pretty much Perryesque job.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:09 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
heardonthestreet wrote:Higher range my ass! ... but his voice changed and matured as he did. I feel that all the Journey songs would be greatly enhanced if he sang them today in his beautiful, more mellow voice.

Funny. You feel the songs would be enhanced, yet everyone talks about wanting the 'Perry' sound. Which would refer to the sound that made him famous.

Exactly. It's a contradiction. On one hand Perry fans say that Journey doesn't sound like they did in 198x...and critique Augeri and Journey because of it. Then they admit (which took a LONG time for most of them to do it, and some still don't, BTW) that Perry's current vocal ability would change how Journey songs are performed. But, of course they would have prefered Journey 'waiting' for Perry's return to Journey.

It's nothing but one contradiction after another.

I don't even want to think about a song like "Any Way You Want It" being performed in a "more mellow voice". Songs like that were not written for that type of voice.
Monker
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:16 am

If I had a choice of Perry coming back to Journey, or keeping Journey the way it is, I would DEFINITELY keep them the way they are. I hate TBF, and I don't think Perry fits with Neal anymore.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby sadie65 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:24 am

NealIsGod wrote:Thanks, Sadie, but that is exactly what I am doing. It used to work fine for me, but has not for that past month or two. Maybe it has something to do with the checkboxes underneath where I type my post? Which ones should be checked?

I have no boxes checked save my signature. What do your options look like?
Sadie
sadie65
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Journey