Perry's voice on David Pack's new song.......SAD

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:21 pm

It is a shame you feel that way Andrew. We all appreciate what you have given us here. I guess NC's complaint is that, for the most part, we do not see any moderation here anyway. You have commented to PF once and it was in regards to Deano. You have commented many times to Deano. Now, we all know Deano has a mouth, but is that the ONLY thing that warrants a reprimand here? It is evident that certain posters here post nothing positive here, they do nothing but tear down Journey and it's members, they add nothing of substance here. Deano, while crude, at least is supportive of the band. Seems odd to me. I do not usually say anything because this is your show and I am glad to be a part of it. I certainly do not want to see the board shut down again. Do as you see fit, but I do think there are some valid points/questions here.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6422
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:15 pm

Postby Andrew » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:48 pm

To be honest my good people....I no longer have the interest, nor the enthusiasm to sit here and read thru all this inane banter that is for the most part only a repeat of last month's arguments and the month before that etc etc.

I've only spoken to Deano a few times this month, for excessive abuse and language.

I have however, spoken to a couple of Perry-heads NUMEROUS times - far more than anyone else. I'm just tired of moderating the same old crap.

So I ask you guys take care of yourselves...

That said...I have just recieved 2 very abusive e-mails which cast a new light on things. I'll get back to you.
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 10403
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Postby NealIsGod » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:15 pm

Geez, this is getting ugly. I hope it works out for everyone.
User avatar
NealIsGod
MP3
 
Posts: 12512
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Back in Black

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:20 pm

Andrew wrote:
I have however, spoken to a couple of Perry-heads NUMEROUS times - far more than anyone else. I'm just tired of moderating the same old crap.

So I ask you guys take care of yourselves...


Let me see if I have this straight....
You repeatedly find yourself having to admonish the Perryloons, they don't listen, so now YOU'RE the one leaving the forum?
Huh? Say wha?
Something does not compute here.
"ItsMyLife" was defiant for a trifling month (on the STYX board) and he's GONE.
Outta here.
The Perryzealots have loitered here, exuding nothing but the same negativity, for literally YEARS.
Deep down, I think you know what to do,...it's time for a holy war.
Expurgate this place of the "Heads", right down to any last vestige of their perverse breed/agenda.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14859
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Postby NealIsGod » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:29 pm

I think Andrew has a problem with the crude language and personal attacks. The Perryheads instigate it 100% of the time, and then sit back and relish what they caused. They feel that since they did not use crude language or attack anyone, they are playing by the rules. Technically, they are, but they are the source of the problems.

Andrew, we know Deano can be crude, but he is good guy and the biggest Journey fan I know. And I know he supports MR.com, so I really hope this works out for him and you. Why can't we all just have fun?
User avatar
NealIsGod
MP3
 
Posts: 12512
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Back in Black

Postby Andrew » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:13 pm

Ok....listen up. I need sort a couple of things first though.

I'd like all to understand what a pain in the ass this forum is.

Surely no one would disagree?

And yes, I am 100% fedup with 2 or 3 Perryheads. But Deano was also out of line. I'll take care of what needs to be done here.

Accept it and move on - don't abuse me.
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 10403
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Postby NealIsGod » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:21 pm

When you say it is a pain in the ass, is it because people complain to you? I thought we were doing a pretty good job of self-moderation, but I guess I am wrong.
User avatar
NealIsGod
MP3
 
Posts: 12512
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Back in Black

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:40 pm

This is unbelievable. Andrew does this as a labor of love and favors to us all and he gets abused? WHat the hell?
NC nailed it with such a simple word/phrase. The Heads (not all I guess) purpose for being here is strictly incendiary. Deano doesn't attack. He retaliates. Think it through, everybody.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3
 
Posts: 11646
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Happy Valley

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:15 am

Andrew wrote:Ok....listen up. I need sort a couple of things first though.

I'd like all to understand what a pain in the ass this forum is.


I know this, and I, for one, am grateful that you have the unshakeable resolve to leave it open for us fans especially in light of all the brouhaha that ocurred last year (which led to the forums ultimate closure).

Andrew wrote:And yes, I am 100% fedup with 2 or 3 Perryheads. But Deano was also out of line.


Never said he wasn't.

Andrew wrote:Accept it and move on - don't abuse me.


Not abusing you, mate. However, while Deano may have some mouth on him, he is largely responding to what people throw at him. Focus your perspicacious arbitrative eye on that. That's where the continual problem lies. The majority of the 'Heads add nothing substantive here. Perryfaithful's post yesterday typifies their behavior. Look at this post;

perryfaithful wrote:OH MY! :shock: So what is this mixing it up with everyone in the band taking a shot at singing lead? What happened to hiring a new LEAD SINGER named Steve Augeri?

Your FRONT MAN....everything!!!!


What was the point in this?
For starters, she was already WELL AWARE that there was multiple vox on this album (in fact, she made a near identical post a month ago), but that certainly didn't stop here from feigning ignorance and co-opting that fact to vindicate her totally unrelated agenda of bashing the current lineup.

There's no denying that this was posted with purely instigational motives and it comprises 98% of all they post here.

By the same token, HOTS is also one of the worst perpetrators of such reprobate behavior.
Hell, she was on here criticizing "Generations" before a friggin' track listing was formally released.
Yesterday, HOTS accused Augeri of looking fruity in his red leathers and then proceeded to exonerate Pery's ostentatious fruitware claiming that such attire was the norm in the 70's.
Wrong, wrong, and more wrong.
Both men are androgynous dancing fruits.
-Get it right.

The other day HOTS made the allegation that Augeri was never any good vocally even in his prime.
What was this claim predicated on?
Clearly, one would have to not hold a copy of the brilliant "Tall Stories" in their possession to make such a dunderheaded statment.
So what basis then, does HOTS have for making such a claim?
The answer is none.
She just despises Augeri and resents his presence in the band, Journey.

As you can tell, this isn't proffering a mature, differing point of view (which I am all for), this is merely one-sided, bitter partisan carping.

Nobody's abusing you, Andrew.
However, it is my sincere belief that its long overdue time to clean up shop around here.
Last edited by The_Noble_Cause on Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14859
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Postby ohsherrie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:32 am

Monker wrote:
jrnyman28 wrote:Funny. You feel the songs would be enhanced, yet everyone talks about wanting the 'Perry' sound. Which would refer to the sound that made him famous.


Exactly. It's a contradiction. On one hand Perry fans say that Journey doesn't sound like they did in 198x...and critique Augeri and Journey because of it. Then they admit (which took a LONG time for most of them to do it, and some still don't, BTW) that Perry's current vocal ability would change how Journey songs are performed. But, of course they would have prefered Journey 'waiting' for Perry's return to Journey.

It's nothing but one contradiction after another.

I don't even want to think about a song like "Any Way You Want It" being performed in a "more mellow voice". Songs like that were not written for that type of voice.


The point that "some of you" seem to miss is that "some of us" don't think of the high notes as signifying the Perry sound. There's a lot more to it than that. If you don't understand that, then I guess that explains why it's so easy for "some of you" to accept a shallow imitation of the Perry sound.

I really never cared that much for "Any Way You Want It". It was a shallow kind of song. Any singer with a decent rock delivery and high range could have done it. The video was great though.
User avatar
ohsherrie
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7601
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:42 pm

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:39 am

ohsherrie wrote:The point that "some of you" seem to miss is that "some of us" don't think of the high notes as signifying the Perry sound. There's a lot more to it than that.


Yet you and your ilk champ at the bit, all too trigger happy to fault Augeri whenever he purportedly skips a high note or two.
Fascinating how that works.

ohsherrie wrote:If you don't understand that, then I guess that explains why it's so easy for "some of you" to accept a shallow imitation of the Perry sound.


Steve Augeri's voice naturally shares some similarities with Steve Perry.
So does Kevn Chalfant's.
It's not an imitation.
There's more than one singer in existence who was blessed with a naturally high pitched voice, get over it

ohsherrie wrote:Any singer with a decent rock delivery and high range could have done it. The video was great though.


You're dreaming.
Even Perry in his prime couldn't prevent that song [AWYWI] from sounding like absolute ass in a live setting. Give "GH Live" or even the near-impecable "Captured" album a few spins and then tell me AWYWI doesn't sound outright piss poor.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 14859
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:56 am

Let me just highlight the Cause's point that because Augeri has the (mis?) furtune of having a similar singing voice to Perry doesn't mean he's imitating.
And I've said before that I find it ironic that that inimitable voice has so many known signers who sound like it.

BTW I still love Perry's voice and I'm not trying to pick a fight with you guys.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3
 
Posts: 11646
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:02 am

I have been happily watching ESPN the last hour or so reporting on the NHL deal that is now in place. I have taken a look at how they came to terms, and thought about how we may also make things work here too.

I have profusely apologized to Mr. Andrew, and the others on here who I may have upset. In reading some replies, I got to thinking..
Others have repeatedly noted that "Deano has the mouth BUT he is replying, or retaliating to agenda-based posts." How many times do I need to say, that I welcome opinions that differ from mine. What kind of board would this be, if we all agreed? It would be like the Rush Limbaugh show where everyone calls in and agrees with their god(I am not one, thank you). Dissenting opinion is in fact good, and I welcome it; but have a legitimate take, a fact, a question, an opinion; don't purposely throw a bunch of shit out there and disguise it as "opinion" when everyone knows that is a falsification of words.

Look, many of you might want to know why I care so much about this place? I have been reading Melodicrock since 2000, and have finally "discovered" the artist boards. Guess what? There is a lot of information to swallow up here, and there are a great bunch of people who have intelligent opinions, facts, arguments, and knowledge. Among some of them who I always make a point of reading, even though I may not agree with them are, Monker, The Noble Cause, Nealisgod, JRNYman28, Abitaman, Red13JoePa, RubyTequilia, LAWoman, Mamos, and YOU, Andrew. Everyone of these people bring legitimatacy to the board. I may be crazy, but I am not stupid. Perhaps on the bus ride to the next show stop, Neal or Jon or whomever, might want to "poll the fans"-- sort of how we did while I worked in the Whitehouse..to see where the constituency is-- So Jon logs on to Melodicrock.com and reads THIS board. Sure Cain is a smart enough man to read through the nonsensical bickering of the Perry ordeal, because he knows what happened, but maybe, just maybe....He may see what we are saying about the Generations sessions, the setlists, the dynamics of the Band, heck the length of their shows. These are not only criticisms and arguments here, there are quite a few good ideas too. In order for any one entity to continue to grow, to continue to expand to the remaining masses, "It" needs ideas. Why not eavesdrop on us and possibly pick something up? I don't know if the Band checks in here, or anywhere for that matter, but I would think if they did, this is the place to come. Backtalk is a good site, a positive site, but there, you are not allowed post or say anything critical at all. The Band cannot get any honest feedback there, can they?

If I do stay here, I can assure everyone I can refrain from using certain expletives, but sometimes I feel you need to, in order to convey the emotional sense of your feelings. I can tell you sometimes, when replying, I swear(no pun intended), I am going to blow an anuerism in my forehead. Nealisgod said I was a huge Journey fan, and I am, but that is not the only thing in my life! I like sports, politics, women, and yes, other bands too. I would hope that everyone here recognizes one thing about me, and that would be that I speak honestly and forthright. I see no reason to candy-coat a response, yet I am capable of not having to tell someone to "go fuck themselves" either. It was one group, and yes, I was replying and/or retaliating when I used those words.

What to do from here? I don't really know. However, what I do know, is I cannot interact with the "other side" with respect, because I don't have any for them. To needlessly rail against, to deflame, and to attempt to bring down such an outstanding, classy act as Journey, for whatever reason; I'm sorry, I just can't muster up any.

Andrew IS the man. I respect Andrew, and will do whatever it is he tells or asks me to do. It's his website, his board, and his rules. All I ask, is that if I am going to follow the rules, may all others too.

Sincerely,

Dean
Last edited by Rockindeano on Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Rockindeano
Forever Deano
 
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:52 am
Location: At Peace

Postby NealIsGod » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:08 am

Hockey sucks! :wink:
User avatar
NealIsGod
MP3
 
Posts: 12512
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Back in Black

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:23 am

NIG: a resounding Ha!

All: Gonna be great to have hockey and the Flyers back.

Rock: amazing, great post.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3
 
Posts: 11646
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Happy Valley

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:27 am

Ok, thanks Deano and NC....

Will post a board update later today.
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 10403
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Postby Abitaman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:33 am

Andrew please don't close the the JRNY board. Yea there are some butt holes that like to piss people off. But it is love of the group and their music, that keeps this board going, maybe not always in the right direction. Journey is your second biggest board, behind Styx? Take your action to who is causing people to get mad. Don't hurt evryone for the bad of a few-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4747
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:17 am

I will....this board will not be closed.
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 10403
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Postby heardonthestreet » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:38 am

Give it your best shot, Andrew. Make these children happy. You have my respect. It's a free world and my opinions are sacred to me but if the truth hurts, then pull my plug.

Do it. The New Journey fans will love you and sing your praises. The Classic Journey fans may even clap a bit.
User avatar
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2351
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:23 am
Location: "How Can I Keep From Singing?"

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:47 am

heardonthestreet wrote:
Give it your best shot, Andrew.


If that isn't insultry, I don't know what is.


Make these children happy.



hahaha. Gotta love her.


You have my respect.



OMG, stop the insanity.

It's a free world and my opinions are sacred to me but if the truth hurts, then pull my plug.



You're lucky I'M NOT Andrew.


Do it. The New Journey fans will love you and sing your praises. The Classic Journey fans may even clap a bit.



We love the guy anyway. What's your point?

Oh, by the way, Have a nice night! :D :D :D :D
User avatar
Rockindeano
Forever Deano
 
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:52 am
Location: At Peace

Postby Greg » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:22 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:According to the band's founder and manager, Herbie Herbet, that is precisely what he was encouraging the guys to do. If Herb had his way, Perry would've been out and Kevin Chalfant (of The Storm fame) would've been in. However, either wisely or foolishly (dependent upon which camp ur in) Jon and Neal kept hanging on to the Perry dream.


I must say, Frontiers was actually the album that turned me on to Journey - basically because of "seperate Ways", "Faithfully", "Send Her My Love".....but for me, it wasn't just because of Perry's voice, it was the music all together. I loved the keyboards and the guitars....So, at that point, if Journey had switched singers, it probably would have been a much smoother transition.

However, once I had gotten better acquainted with the other hits, I realized that Perry's voice was an aspect of Journey I liked - but I liked both Dave and Sammy in Van Halen, so I'm sure it wouldn't have been the end of the world for me and Journey.

Like I said -I'm not in either camp exclusively - I am a big Journey fan and a big Steve Perry fan...I wouldn't be upset (but surprised) if Perry rejoined Journey, but at the sametime, I am not upset if it never happens (which it more than likely won't.) Especially if they keep churning out rockers like I've heard from Generations!
User avatar
Greg
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2317
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:16 am
Location: Stealth Mode

Previous

Return to Journey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests