Of course Perry's voice isn't the same...

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Of course Perry's voice isn't the same...

Postby OpeningAct » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:31 am

...it's only reasonable to believe it isn't as strong as it was when he was in his prime.
Take a look at some of the other great voices in rock (my list, you may not agree with who they are, but you get the idea...;)).

Robert Plant
Roger Daltrey
Stevie Nicks
Dennis DeYoung
Sammy Haggar

They all still sound great, but surely not as good as when they were in their prime. And NONE of them had the range Perry ever did.

Just an observation and only my opinion....;)
OpeningAct
LP

Re: Of course Perry's voice isn't the same...

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:13 am

OpeningAct wrote:...it's only reasonable to believe it isn't as strong as it was when he was in his prime.
Take a look at some of the other great voices in rock (my list, you may not agree with who they are, but you get the idea...;)).

Robert Plant
Roger Daltrey
Stevie Nicks
Dennis DeYoung
Sammy Haggar

They all still sound great, but surely not as good as when they were in their prime. And NONE of them had the range Perry ever did.

Just an observation and only my opinion....;)

They "all still sound great?" Dude, firstly Stevie Nicks clearly has lost a step, or three. Robert Plant not only looks like an older woman but sounds like one, and Daltrey? When was the last time he sang anything that wasn't recorded?

Sammy is still good, and so is DDY. However, if you take Perry's latest live performances, the FTLOSM tour, he is still better than all these, with maybe DDY being the lone exception..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:37 am

Perr still sounds good to me, lost some octaves but his Departure era pipes are a tough act to follow. Oh, and keep him away from journey at all costs. From the sounds of Generations the band's doing just fine.

I disagree about Hagar, I think he amazingly sounds EXACTLY the same as he did on the greatest VH album F.U.C.K. I listen to the thAbout Time and Up For Breakfast and Learining To See all the time looking for that differnece. It's unbeleivably the same to me. Not the same as 5150 era but same as FUCK.

Plant has lost a lot of MPH off the heater and Daltry sounds atrociuous, your right about those guys. Still enjoy listening to them do their thing, though.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby LAWoman » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:09 am

I don't know how anyone can really tell how Perry sounds from that sample--or even from a studio recording. You figure out the shape of someone's voice by hearing them live.

I was surprised by Daltrey's voice at Live 8--he doesn't have his range anymore unless he was having a bad day. Sammy still has it--strong as ever and great range. Dennis DeYoung never had it in my opinion, so no comment. Robert Plant's voice has clearly changed but he works around it and it still works. Stevie Nicks--her voice has definately changed. Someone who still has it: Paul Rodgers. The Heart chicks are still strong as ever also.
LAWoman
45 RPM

Postby mamos » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:57 am

LAWoman. Good call Sammy still has it in spades. As does Ann Wilson. Gives me goose bumps every time I hear her sing.
Mark
mamos
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:47 am

LAWoman wrote: Dennis DeYoung never had it in my opinion, so no comment.

Elaborate please.
In what musical context are you referring to the man; on record or live in concert?

I've always heard he's been rock solid in both.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby RubyTequila » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:15 am

Sammy still rocks my world! :wink:
I have PMS and ESP....That makes me a BITCH who knows everything!!

RubyTequila
Ol' 78

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:16 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Elaborate please.
In what musical context are you referring to the man; on record or live in concert?

I must say that DDY could flatout sing. To all the naysayers about Journey having multiple singers....Styx had 2, sometimes three..DDY, Tommy Shaw and James Young.. Perhaps all the sharing saved each and everyone's voices.. :lol:
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby sngrchk04 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:54 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Elaborate please.

Recently, Dennis DeYoung was a Morning-Show guest DJ on "The River 105.9 WHCN" here in CT....he sang "Lady" LIVE in the studio, accompanied by only a keyboard....

The man nailed it!!

No "modulating down" a key or two....it was sung as it was originally recorded. He did not lose his voice AT ALL.
http://www.noradalby.freewebspace.com

~* "11th House" - 04.11.06 *~
sngrchk04
45 RPM

Postby Abitaman » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:07 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Elaborate please.

Dennis, although he really doesn't "rock" anymore, can still sing his butt off. Never heard the man have a bad night. No saying he hasn't-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby ohsherrie » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:30 am

No reasonably intelligent person would expect Steve's voice to be the same as it was 27 yrs ago. It's just that some people on the Journey boards are so desperate to justify and validate Steve Augeri that they seem compelled to try and diminish the real voice of Journey by whatever means they can contrive.

I personally prefer Steve's more mature voice. I think it's more soulful and resonant. In fact, I think ROR and TBF are Journey's best works. Street Talk and FTLOSM are also excellent. The vocal work on the earlier albums is extraordinary and I love hearing it, but it's not Steve's most impressive work, IMO.
ohsherrie
Digital Audio Tape

Postby OpeningAct » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:45 am

ohsherrie wrote:No reasonably intelligent person would expect Steve's voice to be the same as it was 27 yrs ago. It's just that some people on the Journey boards are so desperate to justify and validate Steve Augeri that they seem compelled to try and diminish the real voice of Journey by whatever means they can contrive.

I personally prefer Steve's more mature voice. I think it's more soulful and resonant. In fact, I think ROR and TBF are Journey's best works. Street Talk and FTLOSM are also excellent. The vocal work on the earlier albums is extraordinary and I love hearing it, but it's not Steve's most impressive work, IMO.
Soulful and Resonant...niiiiiiiice post ohsherrie!!! :D
OpeningAct
LP

Postby LAWoman » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:27 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Elaborate please.

I just don't like Dennis DeYoung's voice and never have. Personal preference--so if you like him, that's fine. He does zero for me, hence the opinion that DDY never had it so he's got nothing to lose. Just an opinion, of course, like everything else here.
LAWoman
45 RPM

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:42 pm

ohsherrie wrote:No reasonably intelligent person would expect Steve's voice to be the same as it was 27 yrs ago. It's just that some people on the Journey boards are so desperate to justify and validate Steve Augeri that they seem compelled to try and diminish the real voice of Journey by whatever means they can contrive.

Spare me! I DON'T HAVE TO VALIDATE Syeve Augeri's Voice! Why must you continually bring up the Steve vs Steve! It is so tiresome.

Steve Augeri being in the BAND Journey, and writing and recording and performing are VALIDATION!

No one here is saying Perry has not been Validated..he was awesome..but today, in this time, I'm sorry, he's not..end ofstory..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:08 pm

sngrchk04 wrote:
Recently, Dennis DeYoung was a Morning-Show guest DJ on "The River 105.9 WHCN" here in CT....he sang "Lady" LIVE in the studio, accompanied by only a keyboard....

The man nailed it!!

Would have liked to have heard that. Thanks for the info. I believe a few months back Dennis also appeared on the late show with Jimmey Kimmel. I missed that, too, unfortunately. Drats!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Hippie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:50 am

if you take Perry's latest live performances, the FTLOSM tour, he is still better than all these

Yeah, but to be fair, the FTLOSM tour was 10 years ago. The rest of those performers have been on the road regularly since '94 (Except Daltry I think).

I do agree DDY has fared better than rest though.
Hippie
45 RPM

Postby Hippie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:56 am

Sammy still has it in spades. As does Ann Wilson. Gives me goose bumps every time I hear her sing.

Check out Heart: Jupiters Darling and Alive in Seattle.

She blows these young punks out of the water!
She's definitely a singer who has lost nothing with age!
Hippie
45 RPM

Postby Rockindeano » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:59 am

Alive in Seattle is indeed good.

By the way, a voice that has not deteriated in any way(IMO), is Kevin Cronin, of REO. Yeah he sounds feminine, but he is hetero..he has kids..

He has that irish folksy voice..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:01 am

Whatever the blonde wilson is...(ann? nancy?) She is HOT.
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:05 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Whatever the blonde wilson is...(ann? nancy?) She is HOT.

Yeah, Nancy had that strwberry blonde hair, and nice long legs.. Meanwhile, Ann looked like Kirsty Allen on steroids. She had that huge blockhead, and gigantic tree trunk thighs. ..Jesus, she could be starting nose tackle for Patriots...
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:07 am

Yea, that one got a little meaty whereas the other one kept it together. Mix in a salad or 4, ann.
Back in the Dreamboat Annie day, they were both awesome.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:12 am

Yeah, I remember seeing an interview with the Wilson sisters, and they were saying that, early in their careers, the record company kept wanting them to pose like lesbians in their promo pictures, embracing, cheek to cheek, etc. They were saying how creepy it made them feel, and they refused to do a lot of stuff. Record companies will sink very low to sell records...
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:16 am

NealIsGod wrote:Yeah, I remember seeing an interview with the Wilson sisters, and they were saying that, early in their careers, the record company kept wanting them to pose like lesbians in their promo pictures, embracing, cheek to cheek, etc. They were saying how creepy it made them feel, and they refused to do a lot of stuff. Record companies will sink very low to sell records...

I thought you were a Stern fan? What is wrong with the Wilsons doing a little lezzy action? :P
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:16 am

That IS low, NIG.

But hot, nonetheless.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:19 am

Hey, I'm all for a little girl-on-girl, but incest is just wrong! :oops:
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby mamos » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:43 am

NIG speaks the truth.

Nothing wrong with a little girl on girl, but sisters....

Come on guys that is too low.
Mark
mamos
Ol' 78

Postby OpeningAct » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:25 am

"I don't mind little baby, if you're feeling fancy and free.
I don't mind little baby cause your sister's looking real good to me..." :wink: :P
OpeningAct
LP

Postby Abitaman » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:16 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:

By the way, a voice that has not deteriated in any way(IMO), is Kevin Cronin, of REO. Yeah he sounds feminine, but he is hetero..he has kids..

He has that irish folksy voice..

I have to disagree. I have been a huge REO fan almost as long as I have been a Styx and Journey fan. They are my 4th fav. band STYX, JOURNEY and RUSH being the 3rd. Sometimes REO and RUSH switch out. But Cronnin's voice has gone down hill bad. He is still a good singer, but for a while there he was a shadow of what he was. In studio fantastic, but live, he was having some problems. He was straining, he really gets into his shows. But seems he has learned to pace hisself, and thus his voice has show signs of improving over the past couple of years-ERIC
Last edited by Abitaman on Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby RubyTequila » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:17 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Yea, that one got a little meaty whereas the other one kept it together. Mix in a salad or 4, ann.
Back in the Dreamboat Annie day, they were both awesome.

Ann has lost about 70+ lbs and looks great!
She can still ROCK the masses!
I have PMS and ESP....That makes me a BITCH who knows everything!!

RubyTequila
Ol' 78

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:44 am

You, know what Ruby? That's cool and I'm glad to hear it. I shoulda looked it up before I opened my mouth.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Next

Return to Journey