Andrew's official "Generations" review

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Andrew's official "Generations" review

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:53 pm

Here's Andrew's review, http://melodicrock.com/reviews/reviews.html

I agree with him on mostly everything except that he ranks (out of the Augeri solo-penned tunes) "Believe" higher than "Butterfly". Hey, at least I can actually listen to "Butterfly" all the way through and somewhat enjoy it. "Believe" is vile in it's simplistic redundancy (its not even a song, as far as I'm concerned, more just a keyboard part that repeats mind-numbingly without end). Andrew claims "Believe" needs a chorus. However, I see it the other way. It's a chorus in dire need of a song! The song is just one big hook onrepeat; stating again and again "I believe in you believe in me".

I really was hoping this album would solidify Augeri's writing talent, sadly, it leaves it all the more suspect.
HOWEVER, his collaborations with Jon and Neal have produced real musical gems on this album, so that is good. More collaborative Cain/Schon/Augeri efforts like "Faith in the Heartland"and "Better Together" from here on out. The Augeri/Schon effort "Beyond the Clouds" is similarly phenomenal.

Other than that, I don't agree with how Andrew dismisses the merits of the one song, "Better Together". I think it epitomizes the new sound this incarnation of the group is going in (bluesy-rock) and I really like it alot. It's easily in my top 4 "Generations" tracks.
Last edited by The_Noble_Cause on Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:21 am

Well, TNC, we can't all agree! Personally, I like Believe, and am not too big on Better Together. To me, BT is the weakest song on the CD. Butterfly is growing on me. I went back and read Andrew's review of Arrival, and he gave that a 99%. To me, Generations blows Arrival away.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Greg » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:22 am

I have only been able to hear soundbytes, but from what little I have heard, I really like the sound of the songs. I must say though, reading Andrew's review and seeing that a few of the songs are past 6 or 7 minutes in length have me worried! I love it when rock anthems are long, but in my opinion, I don't like 6 minute long love ballads....a song like "Open Arms" is perfect in my opinion.

I still can't wait to get the album but I'm not ready to pay $40 on ebay for it...LOL!!!
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:45 am

NealIsGod wrote:Well, TNC, we can't all agree! Personally, I like Believe, and am not too big on Better Together.

It reminds me alot of the similarly bluesy track "The Time" from Red 13. Did you like that one? Anyways, I think BT stands as a fantastic Journey song, without sounding like it's too ridgidly trying to adhere to any previously explored Journey sound of the past.

NealIsGod wrote:I went back and read Andrew's review of Arrival, and he gave that a 99%. To me, Generations blows Arrival away.

I must say, I agree with Andrew's review for "Generations".
I think he was being very fair. However, as much as I was enamored with "Arrival", I always thought Andrew was being a tad too generous with that 99%.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:57 am

Well I guess we can all agree to disagree.

I was way off Andrews' score, and I stick by it.

By the way, the song I JUST cannot stand, is Knowing that You Love Me....too slowwwwww.

I stick by my score of 94(I wrote my revire last week and it hasn't shown up yet).... Drop one, add "It's Never Too Late" and Bingo! You have a 98-99..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:42 am

Andrew wrote:Generations sees Journey change tact a little, introducing a vocal role for all members. Whether that is entirely necessary or not, the majority of vocal performances on the album are excellent. Generations has all the ingredients required of a Journey album and a little extra punch, which fans were calling for. It cuts back the number of tracks on offer, which was probably Arrival's biggest problem.

Rougher, tougher and more diverse than Arrival, Generations is an album that still rates as a must-buy for melodic rock fans, but it isn't a classic.

I also like the reference to "menacing vocals" by Steve. I am not sure I would have come up with that term, but I like it.
overall, I agree with the review. I think Andrew's "Arrival" review was too high and I like "Generations" better than "Arrival". Also, I like Butterfly more than Believe. I enjoy Better Together and In Self Defense, but wonder if something else might fit better.

I threw a party Saturday night and I played "Generations". The people who were paying attention were very impressed with it and it sounded great "behind the party"!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Rcokn:

Postby Red13JoePa » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:44 am

What have we here, Deaner? Another case of your alter ego overrating/hyping a track like Gone Crazy (still laugh at your post about that song: "That song, how can I say this? I HATE it.")
Castronovo called Knowing That You Love Me the new Open Arms.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Yes, 28.

Postby Red13JoePa » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:22 am

Exactly. Andrews multiple mentions of Augeri's vocal style on this validate what I thought I heard in all the clips. He sounds his best ever.

Here are my most encouraging Andrew remarks:

"Rawer production adds extra punch and Shcon's guitar dominates the record."

"Album appears more in your face"

"album heavier and touches on some new ground"

"rocked things up a little more."

and of course the comments that intrigue me the most:

"Steve voice sounds great and just that little bit tougher."

"A menacing vocal from Augeri."

"Augeri again sounds ruthless with another menacing vocal and furthers the hard-edged groove."

Multiple refernces to a more aggresive sounding Steve. i like it a lot.

How about this one: "'Out of harms way'" is absolute business."
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:08 am

"Out Of Harm's Way" IS "absolutel business"!!!! Hell YEAH!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

My Review of Generations

Postby yandtguy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:18 am

Overall: 85

Songwriting: 70
Overall, the songwriting is below average for a Journey album, and I'm basing that on the lack of hooks, lyrical depth and catchy choruses. More time should have been spent on crafting the choruses, especially on the rockers (like the monotone chorus of "Place In Your Heart"). Journey has had a problem with choruses on their rockers since Trial By Fire (though "Higher Place" and "To Be Alive Again" were gems on Arrival).

As to lyrics, when you hold up a song like "Butterfly" to classics like "Open Arms" and "Don't Stop Believing," you have to wonder what the band is thinking. Journey's career is built on the connection of listener to lyric. You believe that the writer of "Faithfully" is a real person pouring out his life. You believe the writer of "Open Arms" is aching for his lover. You can smell the cheap perfume in "Don't Stop Believing." On songs like "Butterfly" or "Beyond The Clouds," it sounds like a person telling a story he thinks you want to hear.

Reviewing the songs on Generations, "A Better Life" is one of the few Generations songs that connect with me beyond a surface level. "Out Of Harm's Way" and "Never Too Late To Change" are growing on me. As a comparison, on Arrival, I would say that "To Be Alive Again" and "All The Way" have the classic Journey signature to them.

A facet of strong songwriting also means knowing which songs to keep and which songs to discard. Songs like "Every Generation" and "Gone Crazy" are good songs, but they stick out on the album like a sore thumb, and not just because Jon and Ross are singing them. And why in the world do you relegate a monster rocker like "Never Too Late To Change" to "bonus track" status in favor of "Gone Crazy" or "Every Generation" Reminds me of the horrible decision to leave "I Can See It In Your Eyes" off of Trial By Fire (except in Japan).

Performance: 90
Neal and Deen provide the firepower on this album, and I love this "supercharged" version of Journey. Jon's keyboard playing compliments each song perfectly. I just can't find fault with the music performances on the CD. The only reason I give Generations a 90% in this category though is because of the hit-and-miss vocals.

Unfortunately, this is the third attempt that Steve Augeri has had to win me over (Arrival, Red 13, Generations), and he comes up short again. When the drummer sings the high notes in concert and provides vocals for 2 of the best songs on the studio album, and when 5 members of the band sing lead vocals on the album, you have to ask if Steve Augeri was the right choice for lead singer of Journey.

I give the band credit for sticking by the guy, but I would rate his performance on Generations as merely solid, maybe even average on some tracks. He had a real chance to blow us all away on the rocking songs, and he delivers weak vocal melodies (and yes, even if he didn't have a songwriting credit, as lead singer, he should give input to vocal melodies since singing is supposed to be his expertise). He had the perfect vehicle in "Knowing That You Love Me" to knock us off our feet, and while his is solid, he doesn't sell the song like a premier frontman would. Steve can sing, and he can sing well, but he just does not have the ear for melody and versatility that you need to be a world-class vocalist. I think if the band suffers in any one area from the loss of Perry, it is in writing srong vocal melodies.

A bigger letdown for me though is the use of 5 lead singers on the album. Now, I am a fan of the co-lead vocals that Perry and Rollie performed on Infinity and Evolution, and I like Neal's turn on "People And Places" with Perry singing an awesome bridge. The problem with Generations is, Augeri is simply another backing vocalist for the songs that Jon, Ross, Deen and Neal sing. And, sorry to the Jon Cain fans, Jon is a mediocre singer at best. If you have Deen and Steve A. in the band, you better bring it, and Jon fails. Also, Ross' song should have been the bonus track. It's a great song, and he performs well, but this ZZ Top tribute needed to go on another project or be used as a bonus track. Finally, I don't understand why Neal felt he needed to cover a Schon & Hammer track, but if he just had to go there, "No More Lies" would have been a better, and more logical choice. Generations would have been a leaner and more cohesive effort if that track would have just been left off.

Deen's vocals are the real surprise of Generations, and he nails his performances on the two tracks he is featured on (on the European version anyway). Grade A vocal job there. I would suggest they let him sing a guide vocal for Augeri in the future if they won't use him on vocals any more than they did on Generations.

Production: 100%
This is how a Journey album should sound. It has perfect engineering, mixing and mastering. It has that Frontiers edge and vibe that those of us who like Journey to rock appreciate. Kudos to the knob tuners on this one.

So, all in all, it's another "wonder what's next" album. There is a lot of potential, but Generations fails as a cohesive effort. After Arrival, we speculated about the heights the band would achieve removed from the confines of a major label. After Red 13, we speculated what the band would sound like with better production while retaining the songwriting of Arrival and experimental nature of Red 13. Well, it all led up to Generations, and I'm still left anticpating the next album more than I am enjoying the one in my CD player.
yandtguy
Ol' 78

Re: My Review of Generations

Postby Rockindeano » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:18 am

yandtguy wrote:
Overall: 85

Where to start? I see you have only 5 posts..Disguise perhaps?

Overall, the songwriting is below average for a Journey album, and I'm basing that on the lack of hooks, lyrical depth and catchy choruses. More time should have been spent on crafting the choruses, especially on the rockers (like the monotone chorus of "Place In Your Heart"). Journey has had a problem with choruses on their rockers since Trial By Fire (though "Higher Place" and "To Be Alive Again" were gems on Arrival).

Lack of hooks? Dude, "The Place in Your Heart" has great hooks, besides, The Noble Cause said it was "catchy as fuck," and that's good enough for me.
The point of Journey having problems since TBF I don't agree with. I see you angling for a Perry plug, but na huh, not from me.

As to lyrics, when you hold up a song like "Butterfly" to classics like "Open Arms" and "Don't Stop Believing," you have to wonder what the band is thinking.

Are you serious? Of course nothing can come close to those gems! Not many bands, if any, can compare to those songs!

Journey's career is built on the connection of listener to lyric. You believe that the writer of "Faithfully" is a real person pouring out his life. You believe the writer of "Open Arms" is aching for his lover. You can smell the cheap perfume in "Don't Stop Believing." On songs like "Butterfly" or "Beyond The Clouds," it sounds like a person telling a story he thinks you want to hear.

This I actually agree with you. I remember Cain saying in BTM, that at the Escape recordings, they "were going to write songs about people's lives. Just a small town girl.."

Reviewing the songs on Generations, "A Better Life" is one of the few Generations songs that connect with me beyond a surface level. "Out Of Harm's Way" and "Never Too Late To Change" are growing on me. As a comparison, on Arrival, I would say that "To Be Alive Again" and "All The Way" have the classic Journey signature to them.

"All the Way" should have been heaved in the dumpster(rubbish for you English)..

A facet of strong songwriting also means knowing which songs to keep and which songs to discard. Songs like "Every Generation" and "Gone Crazy" are good songs, but they stick out on the album like a sore thumb, and not just because Jon and Ross are singing them. And why in the world do you relegate a monster rocker like "Never Too Late To Change" to "bonus track" status in favor of "Gone Crazy" or "Every Generation" Reminds me of the horrible decision to leave "I Can See It In Your Eyes" off of Trial By Fire (except in Japan).

100% Agree.

Unfortunately, this is the third attempt that Steve Augeri has had to win me over (Arrival, Red 13, Generations), and he comes up short again. When the drummer sings the high notes in concert and provides vocals for 2 of the best songs on the studio album, and when 5 members of the band sing lead vocals on the album, you have to ask if Steve Augeri was the right choice for lead singer of Journey.

Well, the choice is made, and I can live with it. After all, if professionals like Neal Schon, Jon Cain, and Ross Valory can, certainly we can too. Augeri is solid..That's fine..No problem there..

A bigger letdown for me though is the use of 5 lead singers on the album. Now, I am a fan of the co-lead vocals that Perry and Rollie performed on Infinity and Evolution, and I like Neal's turn on "People And Places" with Perry singing an awesome bridge. The problem with Generations is, Augeri is simply another backing vocalist for the songs that Jon, Ross, Deen and Neal sing. And, sorry to the Jon Cain fans, Jon is a mediocre singer at best. If you have Deen and Steve A. in the band, you better bring it, and Jon fails. Also, Ross' song should have been the bonus track. It's a great song, and he performs well, but this ZZ Top tribute needed to go on another project or be used as a bonus track. Finally, I don't understand why Neal felt he needed to cover a Schon & Hammer track, but if he just had to go there, "No More Lies" would have been a better, and more logical choice. Generations would have been a leaner and more cohesive effort if that track would have just been left off.

Journey can do whatever the hell they want to. I'm ok with it. So they all want to sing lead? Who gives a shit? They know they won't get attention like those ultra talented stars Britney, Christina, and Ashley S??

Deen's vocals are the real surprise of Generations, and he nails his performances on the two tracks he is featured on (on the European version anyway). Grade A vocal job there. I would suggest they let him sing a guide vocal for Augeri in the future if they won't use him on vocals any more than they did on Generations.

OK. Ask for neal's and Jon's permission.

Production: 100%
This is how a Journey album should sound. It has perfect engineering, mixing and mastering. It has that Frontiers edge and vibe that those of us who like Journey to rock appreciate. Kudos to the knob tuners on this one.

Thank You Kevin Elson.

So, all in all, it's another "wonder what's next" album. There is a lot of potential, but Generations fails as a cohesive effort. After Arrival, we speculated about the heights the band would achieve removed from the confines of a major label. After Red 13, we speculated what the band would sound like with better production while retaining the songwriting of Arrival and experimental nature of Red 13. Well, it all led up to Generations, and I'm still left anticpating the next album more than I am enjoying the one in my CD player.

My responses are in the WHITE square..I can't seem to get it right..

There might NOT be another CD. If I was a band member, and I read the shit people bitch about every SINGLE day, I would just say screw it. Journey cannot win with anyone. There is NO elasticity to be had. It's either, "too guitar driven," not good enough vocally" or some other bullshit.

Neal, Jon, Ross, Deen and Steve..Retire already.. I would be so proud of you for what you have already given to me as a fan.. Screw these critics. Seriously, go on the road(with a Harley and motorhome), and go fishing, and enjoy life.. You've earned it, and don't need this current shit..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:50 am

yandtguy wrote:Overall: 85

You definately have the right to voice your opinon.

yandtguy wrote:Overall, the songwriting is below average for a Journey album, and I'm basing that on the lack of hooks, lyrical depth and catchy choruses.

Man, I do not get the "lack of lyrical depth comment at all!
And you equate good songwriting with a hook? No way! A hook sells BAD songs to people.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:06 pm

yandtguy wrote:
As to lyrics, when you hold up a song like "Butterfly" to classics like "Open Arms" and "Don't Stop Believing," you have to wonder what the band is thinking. Journey's career is built on the connection of listener to lyric.

I think "Butterfly's" lyrics are its strongest part.
Very poignant and saturated in heartfelt earnestness.

yandtguy wrote:
I give the band credit for sticking by the guy, but I would rate his performance on Generations as merely solid, maybe even average on some tracks. He had a real chance to blow us all away on the rocking songs, and he delivers weak vocal melodies (and yes, even if he didn't have a songwriting credit, as lead singer, he should give input to vocal melodies since singing is supposed to be his expertise). He had the perfect vehicle in "Knowing That You Love Me" to knock us off our feet, and while his is solid, he doesn't sell the song like a premier frontman would. Steve can sing, and he can sing well, but he just does not have the ear for melody and versatility that you need to be a world-class vocalist. I think if the band suffers in any one area from the loss of Perry, it is in writing srong vocal melodies.

I don't know what you're rambling on about.
Augeri's performance blew me (and Andrew) away on this one.
Last edited by The_Noble_Cause on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Greg » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:16 pm

I have to say, I am really jealous with some of you having Generations in your hands already!

Must stay strong! Must stay strong! :lol:
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby cubby69 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:06 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:Well I guess we can all agree to disagree.

I was way off Andrews' score, and I stick by it.

By the way, the song I JUST cannot stand, is Knowing that You Love Me....too slowwwwww.

I stick by my score of 94(I wrote my revire last week and it hasn't shown up yet).... Drop one, add "It's Never Too Late" and Bingo! You have a 98-99..

Actually I have to agree with you on that Deano, KTYLM, is Generations absolute weakest moment. I love the other two 'ballads' if thats what you have to call them. And of course all the rocks songs are just kick ass, so reminiscent of early Journey at some points. Which is something I was more than excited about and so glad Journey listened to its fans. I also agree, INTL should have been put in its place and this cd would have been nearly damn perfect! 8)
When its all boiled down and the days at an end, I'll give you no bullshit and I'll never pretend.
cubby69
Ol' 78

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:47 pm

Sorry, got cut off earlier. I think Deano did a pretty good job of replying (we posted at about the same time so I had not read it before). But I think I have some other points to add...

yandtguy wrote:As to lyrics, when you hold up a song like "Butterfly" to classics like "Open Arms" and "Don't Stop Believing," you have to wonder what the band is thinking.

Open Arms is not that lyrically catchy to me. What made that song originally was the vocal performance. Perry made you feel it. I love some of the lyrics to Butterfly. "Behind her back both wings are tied, she will break free, she will not be denied". I like it.

yandtguy wrote:Journey's career is built on the connection of listener to lyric. You believe that the writer of "Faithfully" is a real person pouring out his life. You believe the writer of "Open Arms" is aching for his lover. You can smell the cheap perfume in "Don't Stop Believing."

You have a point about the lyrical content of their "hits", but you are forgetting the first six years of their career. Even if you want to focus on 1977-1981, you have to admit that the songs were not lyrically personal. It was more about mood and atmosphere than it was words. It is kind of like Def Leppard. They have been quoted as saying that their lyrics don't have to make sense as long as they sound good. "Jelly roll love"?

yandtguy wrote: On songs like "Butterfly" or "Beyond The Clouds," it sounds like a person telling a story he thinks you want to hear.

True. But I love the story-telling aspect of Journey. I thought their biggest songs from Escape and Frontiers were stories. They had characters. Perry is the one who made you feel the connection. And Steve does that for me now. "Out Of Harm's Way" is a great example. I do not know anyone over in Iraq, but I feel like I do now. I feel like I understand WHY many men and women are serving in the military.

yandtguy wrote:Reviewing the songs on Generations, "A Better Life" is one of the few Generations songs that connect with me beyond a surface level. "Out Of Harm's Way" and "Never Too Late To Change" are growing on me. As a comparison, on Arrival, I would say that "To Be Alive Again" and "All The Way" have the classic Journey signature to them.

Does it have to have the classic Journey signature sound for you to connect with them? How do you enjoy other music then. And to be honest, while I feel connected to many of these songs, I don't think that is what ROCKnROLL needs. The music just needs to grab you by the balls, hit you between the eyes and ears...it is instinct, it is urge.

yandtguy wrote:A facet of strong songwriting also means knowing which songs to keep and which songs to discard. Songs like "Every Generation" and "Gone Crazy" are good songs, but they stick out on the album like a sore thumb, and not just because Jon and Ross are singing them.

I think the change ups are cool. I really like the vibe's both songs have. Every Generation really has a 'fuzzy' seventies sound that reminds me of Next or Infinity. "Gone Crazy" is such a bluesy song, and I think Ross' vocals fit it. I could almost hear this song on Pirahna Blues.

yandtguy wrote: And why in the world do you relegate a monster rocker like "Never Too Late To Change" to "bonus track" status in favor of "Gone Crazy" or "Every Generation"

I would pick a different track, but I can understand trading for this one.

yandtguy wrote:Reminds me of the horrible decision to leave "I Can See It In Your Eyes" off of Trial By Fire (except in Japan).

Very true. But the more we learn about "why" there are bonus tracks, the more we can understand why they would do this. Japan requires a bonus track to add value to their domestic product. If Journey were to put a sub-standard track on as a bonus track, it would fail to raise the value. Therfore it would be uselss altogether. I am sure that Japan had some say as to what song was on their version. And even if it is all up to Journey, they probably wanted to keep the balance of only one song by each other band member. Makes sense to me. I suppose they would be worried that people might think Steve is losing his job in Journey if they had more songs by other members....I can't imagine why they might think that.

yandtguy wrote:Performance: 90
Neal and Deen provide the firepower on this album, and I love this "supercharged" version of Journey. Jon's keyboard playing compliments each song perfectly. I just can't find fault with the music performances on the CD. The only reason I give Generations a 90% in this category though is because of the hit-and-miss vocals.

Unfortunately, this is the third attempt that Steve Augeri has had to win me over (Arrival, Red 13, Generations), and he comes up short again.

That's fine. I would rate it higher because I do not share the same vocals issue.

yandtguy wrote:
When the drummer sings the high notes in concert and provides vocals for 2 of the best songs on the studio album, and when 5 members of the band sing lead vocals on the album, you have to ask if Steve Augeri was the right choice for lead singer of Journey.

I don't have to ask that at all. i think it shows just how incredibly talented all the members of the band are. It gives us a deeper CD. These are things we were not allowed to have when Perry was in the band. It was there to begin with, but as time went by, Perry's popularity pushed out the other voices. I understand it, but I think it was a shame. I love the vocal dynamics of the duets and the different harmonies. Later on you basically got the Perry layered vocal harmony.

yandtguy wrote:I give the band credit for sticking by the guy, but I would rate his performance on Generations as merely solid, maybe even average on some tracks. He had a real chance to blow us all away on the rocking songs, and he delivers weak vocal melodies (and yes, even if he didn't have a songwriting credit, as lead singer, he should give input to vocal melodies since singing is supposed to be his expertise).

Andrew, Deano and I agree that Steve, in fact, DOES impress us on this CD. But it is cool to disagree.

yandtguy wrote:He had the perfect vehicle in "Knowing That You Love Me" to knock us off our feet, and while his is solid, he doesn't sell the song like a premier frontman would. Steve can sing, and he can sing well, but he just does not have the ear for melody and versatility that you need to be a world-class vocalist.

I know a lot of people don't seem to like this song, but I LOVE it. It gives me chills. And while Steve slips into a falsetto at one part, it works for me. The slight gospel, R&B vibe on this track really gets me. I think this song could very well get aitrplay on some radio stations that would not give Journey a shot. (Anyone remember when Queen hit with "Another One Bites The Dust"? Not a great song, but a black radio station picked it up thinking they were a black band. And the song erupted!)

yandtguy wrote: I think if the band suffers in any one area from the loss of Perry, it is in writing srong vocal melodies.

Again, I do not think they "suffer" but I can agree to some extent with this point.

yandtguy wrote:A bigger letdown for me though is the use of 5 lead singers on the album. Now, I am a fan of the co-lead vocals that Perry and Rollie performed on Infinity and Evolution, and I like Neal's turn on "People And Places" with Perry singing an awesome bridge. The problem with Generations is, Augeri is simply another backing vocalist for the songs that Jon, Ross, Deen and Neal sing. And, sorry to the Jon Cain fans, Jon is a mediocre singer at best.

Well, I never thought Gregg was a great vocalist (especially when compared to Perry) but I loved what he did with a song. And I like Jon's song alot. He may not have a special voice, but he performs well. I agree that I see no reason why Steve COULDN'T have sung Every Generation, but It sounds cool with Jon. Especially with that fuzzy retro 70's production sound to it.

yandtguy wrote:If you have Deen and Steve A. in the band, you better bring it,

True.

yandtguy wrote:and Jon fails. Also, Ross' song should have been the bonus track. It's a great song, and he performs well, but this ZZ Top tribute needed to go on another project or be used as a bonus track.

Like I said, I disagree. That's cool.

yandtguy wrote: Finally, I don't understand why Neal felt he needed to cover a Schon & Hammer track, but if he just had to go there, "No More Lies" would have been a better, and more logical choice. Generations would have been a leaner and more cohesive effort if that track would have just been left off.

I have struggled with "In Self-Defense" as well. I think the track is SMOKIN', but I don't see the need for it. Journey didn't really change it (after all, it was basically a Journey song anyway). But I would not have wanted to hear "No More Lies". Why do you think this would have been a better fit?

yandtguy wrote:Deen's vocals are the real surprise of Generations, and he nails his performances on the two tracks he is featured on (on the European version anyway). Grade A vocal job there.

Absolutely!

yandtguy wrote:I would suggest they let him sing a guide vocal for Augeri in the future if they won't use him on vocals any more than they did on Generations.

Disagree.

yandtguy wrote:Production: 100%

Absolutely!!

yandtguy wrote:So, all in all, it's another "wonder what's next" album. There is a lot of potential, but Generations fails as a cohesive effort. After Arrival, we speculated about the heights the band would achieve removed from the confines of a major label. After Red 13, we speculated what the band would sound like with better production while retaining the songwriting of Arrival and experimental nature of Red 13. Well, it all led up to Generations, and I'm still left anticpating the next album more than I am enjoying the one in my CD player.

Safe to say that I do not agree here.

I think "Generations" is an incredible CD. The more I listen, the more I love it! This is the feeling I have been waiting for. Red13 gave me some of that, but the production stood in the way at first. But I listen to Red13 more than any other Journey cd for the past 2 years...until now!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Andrew » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback and comments.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:18 pm

No prob!

Thank for all the sound bytes that whetted our appetites along the way!
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:43 pm

Hey TNC..

You got some Maryland dates and Atlantic City too... Just came in today. Check the Bands' site for info...
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Abitaman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:09 pm

Seems everone is hot over DC's singing. After listening to the cd about 10 times yesterday (Thanks RD), I can really say I was not really impressed by DC's voicce. Sure he sounded more like Perry than Augeri, but Augeri can sound like Perry when he wants to. But I don't wnat Augeri to be a clone, he just needs a hint of Perry. But DC sounded like he was straining at times (or maybe holding back was caussing this this), but I kept expecting to here a flat out knock out of Steve Perry, and I didn;t.
I am not knockibg DC, in anyway, his song is good. Just that I bring that up, since some have said DC needs to be the lead singer of Journey. Augeri sounds best, and has done a outstanding job.-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby NealIsGod » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:10 pm

Deano - Journey is playing in Baltimore on 9/9. Ordering my tickets tomorrow. The place they are playing is a huge bar with no seats. Tix are $85 each. It will be the most expensive concert ticket I have ever bought. :x
Last edited by NealIsGod on Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:11 pm

Abitaman wrote:Seems everone is hot over DC's singing. After listening to the cd about 10 times yesterday (Thanks RD), I can really say I was not really impressed by DC's voicce. Sure he sounded more like Perry than Augeri, but Augeri can sound like Perry when he wants to. But I don't wnat Augeri to be a clone, he just needs a hint of Perry. But DC sounded like he was straining at times (or maybe holding back was caussing this this), but I kept expecting to here a flat out knock out of Steve Perry, and I didn;t.
I am not knockibg DC, in anyway, his song is good. Just that I bring that up, since some have said DC needs to be the lead singer of Journey. Augeri sounds best, and has done a outstanding job.-ERIC

I think Dean conciously tries to employ Perry's singing style (err, make that Sam Cooke's style), straight down to word choice and expression. That's something I don't hear very often with Augeri. Augeri sounds like himself when he sings, but due to his timbre he also happens to sound slightly like Steve P. as an ancillary bonus. Different, yet very slightly the same. I prefer Augeri. More of his own man. However, both are great.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

VOX

Postby Red13JoePa » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:53 pm

I got it Deano. Thanks 10,000.
The major thing that leaps out on me on the album is the AMAZING sound of Augie's vox this time around. I keep on rewiding the first verse of The Place In Your Heart and going, Jesus CHRIST he sounds good. Whatever Mike Faser did worked big time.
Awesome job Steve.

The rest of the band is what it is. A badass tight rock band. Neal is playing everyhting under the sun.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:55 pm

Andrew wrote:Thanks for the feedback and comments.

You know we love what you do.
You have created a great place for fans to talk about their favorite bands. So that is exactly what we are doing!! :D
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:05 am

Abitaman wrote:Seems everone is hot over DC's singing. After listening to the cd about 10 times yesterday (Thanks RD), I can really say I was not really impressed by DC's voicce. Sure he sounded more like Perry than Augeri, but Augeri can sound like Perry when he wants to. But I don't wnat Augeri to be a clone, he just needs a hint of Perry. But DC sounded like he was straining at times (or maybe holding back was caussing this this), but I kept expecting to here a flat out knock out of Steve Perry, and I didn;t.

I hear ya Eric. DC sounds good on record. I have heard that he sounds great in concert. But when I listen to Better Life, I think "There is no reason why Steve could not have sung this song". If Steve had employed more of his lower end vocals, like on Kiss Me Softly, he would be there. Deen seems to have a voice sort of like JSS...he can make it sound like what he wants. I have a friend who sings karaoke...very well. But his ONE drawback is that he emulates whoever he is singing: Nat King Cole, DDY, whoever. He has not found his own voice yet. Deen is probably still finding his own voice since, up to this point, he has been singing like Perry on Journey tunes.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:09 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I think Dean conciously tries to employ Perry's singing style (err, make that Sam Cooke's style), straight down to word choice and expression. That's something I don't hear very often with Augeri.

Good Point, TNC.
Deen is used to singing Perry tunes, so he employs Perry/Cooke techniques.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Augeri sounds like himself when he sings, but due to his timbre he also happens to sound slightly like Steve P....More of his own man.

I agree with this as well. On Arrival I think he may have tried to sound a little more like Perry by incorporating several Perryisms (as they were called at the time). And the early concerts were like that as well. But Steve has grown into his own being on stage and that is what makes him the great frontman he is now. It is more than his singing (which we know is no where near the level Perry's was), it is his showmanship and how he engages the audience. How Steve interacts with the fans is captivating.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:However, both are great.

Absolutely!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Return to Journey