Journey Article - Lansing State Journal

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey Article - Lansing State Journal

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:29 am

I don't know if this was posted yet (I can't keep up with the posts here - LOL)
2005-07-1108:35:56
http://hub.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 9/1104/HUB

Published July 11, 2005
Commond Ground

By Kathleen Lavey | Lansing State Journal

Perhaps you are the fan who had Journey posters on the walls of your bedroom in high school and still occasionally hum 1978's "Feeling That Way" in your sleep.

Or perhaps you just discovered Journey last year when going through your parents' LPs and hit on "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' " or "Don't Stop Believin.' "

No matter who you are, Journey will have something in its lineup for you when it takes the Common Ground stage tonight, presenting its "Generations" tour.

"It's kind of a mixed bag of playing the oldies, some of the old songs that Journey started out with, and playing a brand-new CD," said keyboard player Jonathan Cain, with Journey since 1981. "We're giving the fans a celebration of 30 years of being in the music business."

The tour started June 26 in Irvine, Calif., and continues through October. Just over a week ago, the band was still fine-tuning its playlists.

"The other night we played too many new songs," Cain said. "So we're going to go back and scale back the new songs." The band has about 75 songs to choose from on its set list.

Recording industry statistics list Journey as the 29th best- selling band in rock history, with a total of 75 million albums out there somewhere.

A recent unscientific USA Today reader vote listed Journey as the fifth favorite rock band of all time..

"It was one of those things where we did everything right," Cain said of the band's chart-topping days. "It was great musicianship. We made pretty cool records and it sounded easy, we made it seem effortless. So when you record that, and play it, people tend to gravitate to it."

Cain is part of a Journey lineup that has changed many times over the years while maintaining its signature feel and sound. Others on this tour include guitarist Neal Schon, bassist Ross Valory, singer Steve Augeri and drummer Deen Castronovo. Schon and Valory are original members.

The band was founded in 1973 in the San Francisco area, dabbling into the musical area of then-new "progressive rock." The band went hitless until singer Steve Perry joined in 1977.

Then came "Infinity," packed with hits such as "Lights," "Feeling That Way" and "Wheel in the Sky."

"It wasn't until 'Infinity' the band hit with platinum success," said Cain. "I think we have about six songs from that era in the show."

A string of hits and platinum albums followed, but not without drama. The band's lineup changed several times, and it was all but defunct by 1986, when it released the album "Raised on Radio."

Cain went on to work in the band Bad English, and other Journey members took on other projects.

In 1996, the band reunited to release "Trial by Fire," but Perry didn't stay. His departure from the band has been cause for speculation among fans for years.

The band's former manager, Herbie Herbert, recently suggested to the San Francisco newspaper SF Weekly that the Perry's departure was acrimonious, although Perry did show up in January for the unveiling of the band's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Herbert said: "(Perry) would come, and if you were drowning in the ocean, he would show up in his luxury liner and offer you a life raft in such a manner as you would decline."

Cain is more forgiving of the former frontman, attributing Perry's departure to health problems.

"He knows he's welcome back if he wants to come," Cain said.

Journey's comeback continued with a 1998 contributed to the "Armageddon" soundtrack. It produced a 2001 studio album, "Arrival." A greatest hits collection was next, and the band has toured each year since.

"Steve Perry's not around, which is huge, but we've managed to maintain the sound," Cain said. "We keep our sound pretty tight. The band is playing better than ever musically. Everybody seems to want to share the stage pretty well, and that's different."

Contact Kathleen Lavey at 377-1251 or klavey@lsj.com.

Just the Journey facts
. Pucker up: A few Journey songs you might recognize if somebody whistled them near you: "Wheel in the Sky," "City of the Angels" and "Feeling That Way."

. Don't judge him: "American Idol" judge Randy Jackson is a Journey alumnus; he even wore tight leather pants back in those days.

. Don't tread on them: Journey received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Jan. 21, in a ceremony attended by the entire current lineup (guitarist Neal Schon, bassist Ross Valory, keyboardist Jonathan Cain, singer Steve Augeri and drummer Deen Castronovo), former drummers Steve Smith and Aynsley Dunbar, guitarist George Tickner and singers Robert Fleischman and Steve Perry. The aforementioned Jackson had to be in New York for an "American Idol" event.

. How big is big? Journey has sold 75 million albums worldwide, making the band the 29th best-selling group of all time.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:36 am

Thanks for sharing.

Good article.

I like how they make a point to mention than J. Cain has been there since the band's heyday in the 80's. Too many ulterior agenda-driven music critics try to deppreciate this current lineup by saying it only features a paltry two original members. Big deal, right?
Hell, as far back as the Escape-era, this band was sporting only two original members.
No good yellow-journalistic hack bastards!!!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

HMMM...

Postby Red13JoePa » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:46 am

I get nervous when I read the starkness of JC's quote, "Steve knows he's welcome back anytime."
Did they butcher the context of that quote? I hafta beleive there was a qualification with that sentance.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:50 am

I agree, JoePa. I thought they took that out of context. I would hope that Neal, Jon and Ross would not dump Steve A. if Perry wanted to rejoin. Although I think there is just as much possibility of that as there is Jim Morrison joinging Journey, may he R.I.P.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:57 am

Yea, and thank christ for that NealGod.
I know they've said he's welcome for 1 or a few songs here and there as a treat...but I can't beleive Cain would put it the way that article puts it.

It's be a backwards step for the band.
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:35 am

The band makes it clear that Perry is welcome to join them anytime for a show or a guest appearance. I am sure the journalist simply edited the quote to take out the qualifiers.

But what surprised me....how many Journey fans would actually recognize someone whistling "City Of The Angels"? Or, for that matter, how many people might actually whistle "City Of The Angels"?
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Red13JoePa » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:55 am

Yea, that's weird.

I think I've whistled more Loggins tunes than I ever have City Of The Angels....
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:02 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Yea, that's weird.

I think I've whistled more Loggins tunes than I ever have City Of The Angels....

STOP IT- RIGHT NOW!!
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby The Fly » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:33 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Yea, that's weird.

LMAO!!!!! :lol: No way Dude!!!
The Fly
45 RPM

Postby Red13JoePa » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:46 am

Deano, I can't read your post. Font too small.

HHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:03 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Deano, I can't read your post. Font too small.

I just listened to the "Pooh" song..OMFG...What drugs were Loggins on? And I used the plural slang of that word, drug.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby NealIsGod » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:42 am

Don't worry. He's all right... don't nobody worry 'bout him. 8)
NealIsGod
MP3

NealIsGod

Postby Red13JoePa » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:44 am

...and God is Good!!

Fuckin Caddyshack rocks, NealGod. How 'bout Dangerfeild busting out AWYWI out of his golf bag???
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby OpeningAct » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:25 am

How about that poll...FIFTH most popular rock band ever!!!!!
Not too shabby! :D
OpeningAct
LP

Postby Rockindeano » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:28 am

OpeningAct wrote:How about that poll...FIFTH most popular rock band ever!!!!!
Not too shabby! :D

I am glad they are top 5..

To me, that means they are "out of the Danger Zone."-KL
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby mamos » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:45 am

Top five is really good. But look who's number one.

Pearl FUCKIN Jam. What's that all about...
Mark
mamos
Ol' 78

Postby Rockindeano » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:52 am

mamos wrote:Top five is really good. But look who's number one.

Pearl FUCKIN Jam. What's that all about...

Dude, its UNSCIENTIFIC.. doesn't mean anything...

Laugh and move on... :lol:

Go check the mailbox..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby mamos » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:05 am

Movin' on.

Checked it!
Mark
mamos
Ol' 78

Postby Rockindeano » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:14 am

mamos wrote:Movin' on.

Checked it!

I know it's late back there in Bum Fuck UK, so if you are having problems sleeping, slap on Kenny's "Pooh" song.. It's unbelievable...
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby mamos » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:55 pm

Nothing could lead me to that drastic measure.
Mark
mamos
Ol' 78

Postby mamos » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:57 pm

Bum Fuck UK??

A little harsh there Deano!!
Mark
mamos
Ol' 78

Postby Rockindeano » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:28 am

mamos wrote:Bum Fuck UK??

A little harsh there Deano!!

Hey a little fun dude.

Remember, I am from Canada, and most others here are from USA... Didn't we both bolt the "homecountry" in favor of.. uh, nevermind. :wink:
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby mamos » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:56 am

Hey all for a little fun.

Just seemed a little hostile.

No problem.
Mark
mamos
Ol' 78

Return to Journey