Augeri and Generations

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Augeri and Generations

Postby Abitaman » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:37 pm

Just posted my review over on Youre reviews at MR.com. Gave the cd high marks (low 90's). But one think I failed to comment on was Augeri's voice. Hee owned that cd. He was confident, and had a good range. Granted he will never be able to do the vocal gymnastics of Steve Perry, but Augeri sailed thru the cd. Rough when needed and soft when needed. And unlike on Arrival, he did it his way with out trying to be Perry. Augeri can sound like Perry when needed, but Journey doesn't need a Perry clone (they could have Hugo to do that), they need someone who can be his own man, and that is what Augeri did on this cd.

There have been people also compaining about Augeri's writing skills. Perry didn't pen anything solo on Infinity. And on Evolution it was Too Late (I think) and LTS. The rest was co written. I know Augeri wrote Butterfly, which is very good. I don't what other song is just by him. But take your pick, they are all good. Perry was mainly a co-writer. Augeri is too. So what is the hang up on that? Augeri may never have a hit "solo" song with Journey. Heck Journey may never have another hit, with or without Perry ever being on board. Journey, like Styx, and a lot of other bands of their day, has past the limelight. They may never be heard on radio again. But that doesn't matter to me. The are still making good music, and sounding good in concert. That is what matters.

I f Steve P, made a cd today, i would buy it. Would it be a hit, I don't think so.

Lay off Augeri, this cd shows he is his own man, who is ready to step out from the long shadow of Steve Perry. But as long as people keep throwing the past up, Perry shadow will keep getting longer. If you don't like Augeri, say why, other than he is not Steve Perry, or Steve Perry is not in band. We all know Perry is no lnger in Joureny. Steve Perry knows he is no longer in Journey.

I could go on, but it 12:30 am and I have to be up at 5am. Couldn't sleep, my son turned 2 today, and ate too much cake before bed time.-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:00 pm

Agree Abita. Steve's really finding his stride with this one.
And if the band did want a clone, the could've got someone who sounds more like THE VOICE than steve a does.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Greg » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:49 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Agree Abita. Steve's really finding his stride with this one.
And if the band did want a clone, the could've got someone who sounds more like THE VOICE than steve a does.

I seem to remember hearing fans calling for Hugo or Kevin Calfant.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:56 am

Greggie wrote:

When?

Some Perry fans think Hugo is almost perfect...but he is scary with his impersonation. Journey was already being accused of trying to pull the wool over their fans ears with Steve...it would have been a valid claim if they had hired Hugo. But Hugo's voice is actually a little thin on the clips I have heard. It sounds the same, but not very strong.

As for Kevin, he was IN Journey before TBF, along with Gregg. He has a good relationship with the guys of Journey. But apparantly his attitude might have made life difficult. He is a very gifted singer with a strong voice, and he certainly sounds similar to Perry. He would have been a good choice if not for the personality clash.

Believe it or not, sometimes the best talent is not near as important as the best chemistry. I think it is safe to say that Journey have great chemistry and good talent.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:02 am

So just before TBF they had both Gregg AND Jon? That is a little period of Journey history I am fuzzy on. Please educate me!
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:09 am

NealIsGod wrote:So just before TBF they had both Gregg AND Jon? That is a little period of Journey history I am fuzzy on. Please educate me!

Yes. It was Neal, Jon, Ross, Steve, Gregg and Kevin. They were writing music and I guess rehearsing. Then, according to Perry's drummer from FTLOSM, Sony offered Perry another single from FTLOSM if he would reunite with the Escape era Journey. Perry cut the tour short, met up with the band, Sony did not really want Gregg included (and I don't believe Gregg wanted to work with Perry again) so he left. Of course Kevin was out then.

Can you imagine what journey would sound like with Jon AND Gregg in the band???
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 am

Why would they need two keyboard players? I would love to hear a new duet with Gregg and either Steve.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:47 am

Yea, one's enough.
Unless you wanted to retro up a few departure-era numbers that call for a HammondB3 with Gregg, but what would Cain do? Play a triangle?
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:55 am

Imagine Jon on Piano or Rhythm guitar and Gregg on the organ.
Imagine the depth to the songs that would create.
Imagine Gregg back on vocals.
Imagine the songwriting.
Imagine the additional showmanship.
Imagine singing Feeling That Way/Anytime and the others with Gregg's vocals in place (not that JC isn't doing a great job with it).
Imagine JC not having to learn Harmonica (not that JC is not doing a great job with it).

It could have been very cool!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:59 am

NealIsGod wrote:So just before TBF they had both Gregg AND Jon? That is a little period of Journey history I am fuzzy on. Please educate me!

Kevin, Rolie and the guys (Jon & Neal) were writing together, that much is known.
Kevin has confirmed this in several interviews.
One with our very own resident Aussie moderator, Andrew.

http://www.melodicrock.com/interviews/k ... ant00.html

Andrew: "Ok, tough question...we all know you almost had the job as vox in Journey...what really went wrong?"

Kevin Chalfant: "Man, Andrew, you like to dig don't you? I am going to buy you a tractor with a back hoe on it one of these days!
Journey...they are my musical family. I have gotten so much from being associated with their incredible legacy. First of all, I harbor no bitterness of anger for the decision they have made. Many people ask me this question and I have to say that I am just very blessed and fortunate to be able to say that they are my friends. I had been writing with Neal, Jonathan, and Gregg when the rumors were flying.Steve Perry came back to make another record and Ross told me that they (Steve & Ross) had discussed me. He told Ross that he thought that I was a great singer, the feelings are mutual. After that record was released, the feelings about my involvement changed. I can't put my finger on any one thing. It doesn't really matter though. Steve Augeri is a great guy and a great talent. I hope that they let us open for them. It sure would make for an exciting evening for the fans, would it not?"

There is a theory that when Sony caught wind of the fact that Journey was reforming sans Perry, it served as a gadfly for Sony to do everything in their power to lure Perry back in. They didn't want to sign Journey without Perry. So in return for one last push of a FTLOSM single, Perry acquiesced and agreed to join his former bandmates. Or so goes the theory.

Steve's drummer in the FTLOSM band sorta confirmed this saying,

"We could have worked for another 2 years easily, but it wasn't just the Bronchitis thing, once Steve recovered from that from what I know Sony was saying "Look, if you come to the table to talk about doing this Journey Reunion thing (TBF), we will release another single off your solo CD" (FTLOSM). So of course he did that and they released the single yet didn't support it and just let it fall to the side sorta. But that's what got him to go back in to do the Journey Reunion."

The alleged "Rolie + Kevin" lineup was also quasi-confirmed on a radio interview several years back (not sure which program, maybe Rockline) where Ross was asked what happened to the idea of Rolie coming back into the fold. Ross said (paraphrasing here) that Sony wanted a lineup that most closely resembled the Esc4p3 era, and that's why it never came to be.

Monker or Andrew might be able to add on to this. Hope it helped!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby cubby69 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:03 am

jrnyman28 wrote:Imagine Jon on Piano or Rhythm guitar and Gregg on the organ.
Imagine the depth to the songs that would create.
Imagine Gregg back on vocals.
Imagine the songwriting.
Imagine the additional showmanship.
Imagine singing Feeling That Way/Anytime and the others with Gregg's vocals in place (not that JC isn't doing a great job with it).
Imagine JC not having to learn Harmonica (not that JC is not doing a great job with it).

It could have been very cool!

Talk about an all star line up!!! :)
When its all boiled down and the days at an end, I'll give you no bullshit and I'll never pretend.
cubby69
Ol' 78

Postby Rockindeano » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:52 am

I learned how to play harmonic on a slow Sunday afternoon Seattle mariners game..It isn't at all hard to do.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Abitaman » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:07 am

Greggie wrote:

Yes, I was one of the ones wanting Kevin Chalfant. But then came Arrival! Augeri is doing just superb-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:01 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:I learned how to play harmonic on a slow Sunday afternoon Seattle mariners game..It isn't at all hard to do.

Well, there is learning to play it, and there is learning to play it well...;)
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Hey, imagine what Journey couls have done with both Jon and Gregg in the band back in '86... TWO KEYTARS!!! Gregg would have looked great with a mullet and painting smock playing a keytar!
NealIsGod
MP3

Return to Journey