Dumbest "Generations" review you've read yet?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Dumbest "Generations" review you've read yet?

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:32 am

Hi, and welcome to the first annual "dumbest 'Generations' review you've read yet" awards!

Submitted for your consideration:

14/07/05: Paul - Silvertail59@optusnet.com.au
Rating: 2
My wife was asking me the other day why I download some albums off the net, rather than paying for them at my local CD shop. Good point I said. I'm not a compulsive downloader as such. If I like and album after downloading, I will go and buy it. I understand musos have to eat.

This album (and Alice Coopers 'Dirty Diamonds)is the answer to 'Why I download'. The CD's as boring as elevator music. Poor lyrics all been done a hundred times before. Lifeless songs. I have liked Journey for 20 years and have most of their albums and pretty well all of Neil Schon's stuff. I genuinely like the band BUT......

Sorry Journey fans.......this one sucks.

Regards Paul.

For such a dyed-in-the wool Journey/Schon fan, you'd think he would at least know how to spell Neal's name right.
I don't know about you guys, but I smell bullshit.

No particulars provided, all sweeping statements ( "lifeless songs"
"Poor lyrics") without even a scintila of offerred elaboration.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:52 pm

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm
dude, that Neal with an 'i" thing is totally the first bullet hole in that tool's credibility.
And he's ripping on what he supposedly percieves to be shallow lyrics (can't disagree more, BTW) and he ironically drums up the never-before-used, totally uncliched, literarilly brilliant qualitative break-down that
"This album sucks." That's piercing anaylsis. Shakespeare just rolled over in his grave on that one.
Then finally, the piece de resistance of his smear campaingn: The taunting apology to JRNY fans. Likely a head with another axe to grind.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:30 pm

Yeah for sure I agree..that dude definately smells like a choad-smoker..

He/she is full of shit..
Last edited by Rockindeano on Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby heardonthestreet » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:33 am

How do any of you expect Journey to get it right, not that I
feel they will, if you don't listen to what the fans feel is wrong?
Last edited by heardonthestreet on Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby Red13JoePa » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:06 am

Whaat, fans like you, HOTS? Objective ones? They'll never get it right by you guys until THE VOICE :wink: is back.
JRNY DOES listen to its fans. They wanted more rocks songs on ARRIVAL, they got it. Periodically they put out queries as to what songs the fans wanna hear live and incorporate them. We wanted a full blast rock album in Generations and got. They'll draw the line at the fans who want them to crawl back to Perry though. And I also think we ARE objective because we embrace all eras of the band, not just 1.
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby cubby69 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:29 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Whaat, fans like you, HOTS? Objective ones? They'll never get it right by you guys until THE VOICE :wink: is back.
JRNY DOES listen to its fans. They wanted more rocks songs on ARRIVAL, they got it. Periodically they put out queries as to what songs the fans wanna hear live and incorporate them. We wanted a full blast rock album in Generations and got. They'll draw the line at the fans who want them to crawl back to Perry though. And I also think we ARE objective because we embrace all eras of the band, not just 1.

Damn straight buddy! Great post! :mrgreen:
When its all boiled down and the days at an end, I'll give you no bullshit and I'll never pretend.
cubby69
Ol' 78

Postby heardonthestreet » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:19 am

Generations!

Vocals with assorted non-vocalists, for the most part.

Too guitar driven.

What ever happened to MELODY?

Some unnecessary filler.

Without Perry IS a factor , but we all know that.
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby Rockindeano » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:35 am

heardonthestreet wrote:Generations!

Too guitar driven.

Some unnecessary filler.

Come on.....
You been in mommies vicodin drawer?
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby NealIsGod » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:16 am

Wasn't HOTS the one who said something like "Mark my words, GENERATIONS will NOT rock." And now she complains it is too guitar driven? No pleasing some people...
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:19 am

NealIsGod wrote:Wasn't HOTS the one who said something like "Mark my words, GENERATIONS will NOT rock."

Yup, one of her MANY baseless anti-"Generations" criticisms (made before the record was even released).

She has ZERO credibility.

A reprobate propagandist.

Typically disgruntled "Head" with an axe to grid.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:20 am

Not "for the most part". One by Jon, One by Neal, One by Ross, One by Deen, EIGHT by Steve. Definately not the "most part".

heardonthestreet wrote:Too guitar driven.

That is fine if you don't like guitar, But for those of us that do it is awesome. And just because you do not like a lot of guitar, does not mean NEal is no good. You tend to throw the baby out with the bath water and say that Neal is no good. Too many of his peers say otherwise so I respect their opinion. Not mention the other fans.

heardonthestreet wrote:What ever happened to MELODY?

There is melody all through this CD. I do not understand this comment at all.

heardonthestreet wrote:Some unnecessary filler.

Every CD pretty much has some filler. Even Frontiers, Escape, and ROR have songs that could be considered "filler". Every Perry CD has "filler".

heardonthestreet wrote:Without Perry IS a factor , but we all know that.

Sorry, but with or without Perry, most of these factors remain.
But the question remains: HAVE you heard all of "Generations" yet?
Otherwise, how can you make these conclusions?
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby NealIsGod » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:47 am

I'm with HOTS. I hate guitar in my rock music! :?
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:07 am

Too guitar driven.

Some unnecessary filler.

Wasn't Infinity, evoulution, and departure guitar driven?
Wasn't those 3 the cds with 2 vocalist?
Wasn't those 3 a little light on melody.
Hasn't all Journey cds had filler on them, except maybe Escape? Was TBF all filler except maybe 2 or 3 songs?

Journey would be nothing without Steve Perry right? WRONG, Steve Perry gave a band with a following already, the radio voice they needed. But is you wnat to be honest, IT was Jon Cain, who have the band superstar status. This going by most of the Perryheads logic. Perry did this Perry did that. But following your logic then, Cain made them superstars.
It was the band that made themseves superstars. It was Perry, who with his second solo cd (under the Journey name) ROR, that just about killed Journey. While I like ROR, it is not a true Journey cd, More of a Perry solo, with Neal and Jon on board.
Look at it for what it is. They arre aband, no one person made Journey. Alot of Styx fans have a problem with this two. Dennis is not Styx, but neither is Tommy or JY. And Perry is not Journey. Perry is not even in the music bus. anymore.-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Red13JoePa » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:44 pm

...And dare I say, one man's filler goes straight to another's head and he can't stop playing it for a week. For me some of the coolest moments on the record are when someone other than Augeri's singing lead and then you can hear Augeri come out just BELTING on the BG vox. I mean he was soo good at it on this one it's like THE VOICE :wink: showed him how to improve his bg vox techinique, what with all the practice he's getting lately :lol: Perhaps they discussed it at the Hollywood WOF. We who have the fucking album will be the judges of what's filler. JRNYMAN28 called that shot and Neal Is god caught the dude on the both ways grab of "It won't rock" morphing into "Too" much guitar!!!
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:32 pm

.hi
Last edited by Rockindeano on Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:09 am

.... whatever it is. Don't really care.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:05 am

Red13JoePa wrote:For me some of the coolest moments on the record are when someone other than Augeri's singing lead and then you can hear Augeri come out just BELTING on the BG vox.

I've been listening for that.
Haven't heard it.
I distinctly hear Deen singing in the background during "Beyond the Clouds" and of course, Dean substitutes for Perry on the updated rendition of "Self Defense".
But where do you hear Steve A. on background vocals?
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:06 am

Red13JoePa wrote:..Neal Is god caught the dude on the both ways grab of "It won't rock" morphing into "Too" much guitar!!!

Yeah, that was HOTS.
All she does is lie.
She really shouldn't be allowed to post here.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:32 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote: of course, Dean substitutes for Perry on the updated rendition of "Self Defense".

Oh I think that is Steve on Self-Defense.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:36 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote: of course, Dean substitutes for Perry on the updated rendition of "Self Defense".

Oh I think that is Steve on Self-Defense.

Don't think so.
Possibly could be a combo of both mens' voices (Steve and Deen), but predominately I am hearing Deen in that track.
Andrew thought similarly in his review, stating "some great harmony vocals courtesy of Deen."
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:46 am

I thought it was Steve also.-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:04 am

I say Deen..Unmistakably.

However, it could be BOTH of em?
Last edited by Rockindeano on Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:54 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:I say Deen..Unmistakenly.

Agreed. Unmistakably Deen. There's just a higher pitch to it.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:29 pm

GODDAMMIT! Deen and Neal..not Dean and Neil..

That pisses me off to no end.. proves they aren't real fans.....
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:36 pm

Yea, Castronovo has a real cool bridge/harmony in BTC.

I'll nail down the times to the second of when I can hear THE GLORIOUS VOICE's :wink: BG vocal protege Augeri comes in on his backing's.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Return to Journey