Journey - What will historically be remembered in 20 years

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey - What will historically be remembered in 20 years

Postby SeLiMk » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:21 pm

from now when the band will have cut the first Album 50 years earlier?

I'm not sure but ... they will still be playing the same songs that we all know over and over again on Classic Rock Radio.

:)
Who needs a freakin' Sig... it's a waste of valuable Server resources..
SeLiMk
SeLiMk
Fresh Air

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:40 pm

Ultimately, it is true, Journey will be remembered for Perry's voice and Neal's guitar. Jon's songwriting will be remembered, if not specifically.

Just because Journey cannot make an impact today like they did in the late 70's/early 80's does not mean they are not making great music. It is a sign of the times, nothing more. Journey music is not the popular music today. They took ten years off, they had a failed reunion attempt, they moved on. All of this will also be remembered. But all of this is a hinderence on making a splash today.

But the fans will still remember that Journey continued to make great music.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby OpeningAct » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:44 pm

I think that's a pretty fair statement. Look at the Classic Rock stations now and what you hear of the Stones, Zepellin, The Who, Skyndrd...
Don't Stop Believin
Wheel In the Sky
Anyway You Want It
Who's Cryin Now
Lights
Separate Ways

These songs will be played as long there radios on the Classic Rock stations...

Adult contemporary stations...
Open Arms
Faithfully
I'll Be Alright Without You
OpeningAct
LP

Postby OpeningAct » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:47 pm

jrnyman28 wrote:Ultimately, it is true, Journey will be remembered for Perry's voice and Neal's guitar. Jon's songwriting will be remembered, if not specifically.

Just because Journey cannot make an impact today like they did in the late 70's/early 80's does not mean they are not making great music. It is a sign of the times, nothing more. Journey music is not the popular music today. They took ten years off, they had a failed reunion attempt, they moved on. All of this will also be remembered. But all of this is a hinderence on making a splash today.

But the fans will still remember that Journey continued to make great music.
Good post Jman! Look at all the popular music that is total crap on the radio today...maybe it is a good thing that the guys aren't as "popular" as they were in the 70s/80s and not the flavor of the week as some of the dribble on the radio now...;)
OpeningAct
LP

Postby Spike » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:01 am

20 years is a long time in technology, and a long time in music. Already, Journey is affected by generational changes in taste, and by having a fan-base the vast proportion of whom are probably outside the record companies’ target age market, any new music they release is unlikely to find an audience sufficiently significant in numbers to restore the band to their fame of the 1980s. This is also likely to have a knock-on effect on radio. Radio exists, in the main part, on advertising revenues. This means that the radio stations need to maximise their audience by playing music that is proven to be popular. This is the situation now, though, and technology is bringing changes that probably would not have been foreseen 20 years ago.

Right now, music downloads, podcasting, interactive personal radio transmissions (for example, Launchcast) are inchoate media, and it would be difficult to deny their attractiveness to consumers. However, all these diffuse any music’s route to market, and it is likely that the future holds further developments which will change how we all elect to listen to music. Record companies are holding tightly to their traditional methods now, but whether they can sustain this is anyone’s guess. My opinion is that they cannot. Sooner or later, there will have to be a different way of releasing music, and a different method of how musicians get paid for their output.

Where does this leave Journey, and their possible legacy in 20 year’s time? To be remembered beyond the hits of the 1980s (and that is no bad legacy in itself!), I would posit that they need to, once again, be innovators. Good quality downloads of, say, “Generations”, should be available for download from their site, now. Video clips of the current concert tour could be offered. Any digital media that they can think of, in fact. And to grow their audience, this should be advertised. When I ‘google’ Journey, then JourneySwag should be one of the sponsored links offered.

In the absence of them grasping the opportunities that are available now, my fear is that in 20 years, when their original fans will be in their 60s and 70s, the legacy will be all but forgotten, relying on just a few nostalgic plays of “Open Arms” in public places. Pessimistic? Perhaps, but it could happen.
Spike
Ol' 78

Postby perryfaithful » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:10 am

jrnyman28 wrote:Ultimately, it is true, Journey will be remembered for Perry's voice and Neal's guitar. Jon's songwriting will be remembered, if not specifically.

So they chose to look for a lead singer NOW who is "humble." That is making a huge impact right??
"In Journey, all the hit songs we had were based around Steve Perry's vocals."

Neal Schon
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:21 am

perryfaithful wrote:So they chose to look for a lead singer NOW who is "humble." That is making a huge impact right??

No, they looked for someone who is talented.
Augeri's humbleness (among any other positive character attributes) was just lagniappe.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:36 am

tis tis
Last edited by Rockindeano on Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:46 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:So they chose to look for a lead singer NOW who is "humble." That is making a huge impact right??

SHUT UP BITCH, or contribute something. Fuck it, if Andrew won't do anything, I will keep asking you to bring something to the fucking table. You FUCKING TWITTED SKANK

DEANO! CHILLOUT!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:40 am

Why? She intentionally tried to derail the post.

Anyway, she is is gone, but;

Doesn't Classic Rock grow too?

The bands that are young now will need their own Classic rock station.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:08 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:Doesn't Classic Rock grow too?

The bands that are young now will need their own Classic rock station.

"When did motley Crue become Classic Rock?"

It will be interesting to see how the music is categorized. Classic rock will always be Doors, the Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zepplin, Alice Cooper, Steppenwolf, Van Halen (DLR)...basically late 60's to very early 80's. The late 80's stuff is getting on their too, but it is not quite the same. But when Grunge hits 20 years old. what then? Playing the Who next to Nirvana just will NOT work.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:11 am

Thank you, that's what I was trying to say. It's like now, I hear REM and Midnight oil, next to Journey which is next to the Stones....Too different.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Humble

Postby perryfaithful » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:07 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:Why? She intentionally tried to derail the post.

Anyway, she is is gone, but;

from a Cain interview in Pa.............

CDT: Journey's most famous singer, Steve Perry, doesn't tour with the band anymore. Tell me about your new singer, Steve Augeri.

Cain: We needed a guy the fans would love and accept as a person. He's got to be an entertainer, and he's got to be humble. He couldn't be strutting up there off the bat and Steve's (Augeri) personality really hit me. I thought, "The fans would really like this guy." And when I met him, I thought, "If I was a Journey fan, would I like this guy?"

Aside from that was his voice, which was uncannily like Steve Perry's in a lot of ways.

He also had the grace to share the stage. We wanted something different than we had before. It was pretty much all about Steve (Perry) before. It's more of a band now. We try to carry on this legacy when Steve (Perry) started it out. Certainly he's in our minds and our hearts.

CDT: So there is no bad blood between the band and Steve Perry?

Cain: No. He's got health issues. He just can't count on his body every day, slamming it out here on the road. He can't do it anymore, but we're going to carry on with the high standards that he would expect. That's why he's allowed us to do this, because he knows we're doing it first rate. Anytime he wants to come and sing he's welcome to.

Neal Schon
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby Andrew » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:10 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:

SHUT UP BITCH, or contribute something. Fuck it, if Andrew won't do anything, I will keep asking you to bring something to the fucking table. You FUCKING TWITTED SKANK

FINAL WARNING

While I support your need to counter act silly statements, there is a way to do it and I will not longer put up with posts like this.
Andrew
Administrator

Re: Humble

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:10 am

perryfaithful wrote:from a Cain interview in Pa.............

CDT: Journey's most famous singer, Steve Perry, doesn't tour with the band anymore. Tell me about your new singer, Steve Augeri.

Cain: We needed a guy the fans would love and accept as a person. He's got to be an entertainer, and he's got to be humble. He couldn't be strutting up there off the bat and Steve's (Augeri) personality really hit me. I thought, "The fans would really like this guy." And when I met him, I thought, "If I was a Journey fan, would I like this guy?"

Aside from that was his voice, which was uncannily like Steve Perry's in a lot of ways.

He also had the grace to share the stage. We wanted something different than we had before. It was pretty much all about Steve (Perry) before. It's more of a band now. We try to carry on this legacy when Steve (Perry) started it out. Certainly he's in our minds and our hearts.

Cain: No. He's got health issues. He just can't count on his body every day, slamming it out here on the road. He can't do it anymore, but we're going to carry on with the high standards that he would expect. That's why he's allowed us to do this, because he knows we're doing it first rate. Anytime he wants to come and sing he's welcome to.

I bolded what I am assuming was your point PF, but I also bolded the OTHER half of the point, that they picked Steve because of his voice as well. This interview shows that both TNC and you were correct.

This is a good post...
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Andrew » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:11 am

perryfaithful wrote:
So they chose to look for a lead singer NOW who is "humble." That is making a huge impact right??

Perryfaithful - if you don't have anything NEW to say - don't say anything. Ok?

Thank you in advance.
Andrew
Administrator

Re: Humble

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:15 am

perryfaithful wrote:

I also wanted to address this point. I think Jon could just be talking a good game here, but then again Perry did allow Journey to continue. We all know Perry could have fought and blocked Journey's continuation. He didn't. He placed a few 'checks and balances' on them which were for the most part standard. He retained say in how any Journey material with his image or voice on it is used. He retained his royalties percentage. He wanted Journey to tell people that he was not in the band anymore to avoid selling merchandise under false pretenses...makes sense. The only thing I wish Journey could do that, up to this point, they have not been able to is record a new LIVE CD. I hope that finally happens.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby perryfaithful » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:17 am

Andrew wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:

Perryfaithful - if you don't have anything NEW to say - don't say anything. Ok?

Thank you in advance.

Sorry...do not understand! The concept of a lead singer being "humble" was came from Cain in a NEW interview before their State College, PA concert recently.

Neal Schon
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:35 am

perryfaithful wrote:Sorry...do not understand! The concept of a lead singer being "humble" was came from Cain in a NEW interview before their State College, PA concert recently.

As if you haven't heard terms such as "humble" & "gracious" being bandied about before in reference to Steve Augeri?

Several times you have been on here implying that Steve's docile, pliant nature is exactly what Neal was looking for. Less talent, but more agreeable to tour with, was your oft-repeated implication. Someone who would not take charge (ala a certain different Journey lead singer also named Steve).

Don't come here and play Andrew like a fool.

The word "humble" might have been taken from a new Cain interview, but your manipulation and distortion of it is old. Very old.

Same tired Perryloon instigational agenda.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:29 pm

What will be remembered is Steve Perry's stirring and soulful vocals. The rest is fancy dressing.

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:14 pm

Bloodflower wrote:What will be remembered is Steve Perry's stirring and soulful vocals. The rest is fancy dressing.

Then let Steve put out an acapella album and see how it sells.
Last edited by NealIsGod on Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby OpeningAct » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:45 pm

Bloodflower wrote:What will be remembered is Steve Perry's stirring and soulful vocals. The rest is fancy dressing.
Neal Schon is ALREADY regarded as a guitar LEGEND!!!! You don't think THAT'S going to become even larger as the years pass???? :shock:
OpeningAct
LP

Postby Jeremey » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:54 pm

twenty years from now, what JOURNEY's legacy will be to mainstream music, and what people will remember, are the songs.

not many people will remember steve perry's name, or jonathan cain's name, or neal schon's name. the arena tours and packed stadiums may be relegated to an odd mention on VH1's "I love the Late Twentieth Century," and truly there will be a place for them at some point in the rock and roll hall of fame.

but i guarantee you, that what people will remember (and I don't mean die hard JOURNEY fans sitting at home collecting social security in 2025), are the songs. generations of people will know the songs "Don't Stop Believin'," "Open Arms," "Lights," etc.

Twenty years isn't a long, long time from now, but time will erase the names and the stories that went along with the music...but the songs themselves are timeless and will always connect with the masses. they will always mean something to somebody, regardless of who they think wrote them, sang them, or played bass on them.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby perryfaithful » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:09 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
perryfaithful wrote:Sorry...do not understand! The concept of a lead singer being "humble" was came from Cain in a NEW interview before their State College, PA concert recently.

As if you haven't heard terms such as "humble" & "gracious" being bandied about before in reference to Steve Augeri?

Several times you have been on here implying that Steve's docile, pliant nature is exactly what Neal was looking for. Less talent, but more agreeable to tour with, was your oft-repeated implication. Someone who would not take charge (ala a certain different Journey lead singer also named Steve).

Don't come here and play Andrew like a fool.

The word "humble" might have been taken from a new Cain interview, but your manipulation and distortion of it is old. Very old.

Same tired Perryloon instigational agenda.

It really does not matter what I say. I am attacked before I even get two words out. Everyone jumped on Spikes band wagon about allowing others to speak without abuse and yet I am still being called a "perryloon" and worse. How about just ignoring my posts Noble Cause? Think you can do that or is your real fun here being an attack dog?

Andrew taking the time to ask me not to speak is insulting. I am a huge fan of his site and have taken his advice on music repeatedly. My simple post did not warrant his response. Dave took it to the next level of discussion as it should have been, but I can't get past the BS to participate. Sorry Dave, but thanks!

I guess if I just screamed FUCK THIS, FUCK THAT, FUCK YOU all the time I would be fine here!

Last edited by perryfaithful on Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neal Schon
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:13 am

perryfaithful wrote:I guess if I just screamed FUCK THIS, FUCK THAT, FUCK YOU all the time I would be fine here!

Yeah, let it all out! Feels good, doesn't it!
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:54 am

Jeremey wrote:twenty years from now, what JOURNEY's legacy will be to mainstream music, and what people will remember, are the songs.

not many people will remember steve perry's name, or jonathan cain's name, or neal schon's name. the arena tours and packed stadiums may be relegated to an odd mention on VH1's "I love the Late Twentieth Century," and truly there will be a place for them at some point in the rock and roll hall of fame.

but i guarantee you, that what people will remember (and I don't mean die hard JOURNEY fans sitting at home collecting social security in 2025), are the songs. generations of people will know the songs "Don't Stop Believin'," "Open Arms," "Lights," etc.

Twenty years isn't a long, long time from now, but time will erase the names and the stories that went along with the music...but the songs themselves are timeless and will always connect with the masses. they will always mean something to somebody, regardless of who they think wrote them, sang them, or played bass on them.

Great post Jeremy!! You are so right...the music will last.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:02 am

OpeningAct wrote:
Neal Schon is ALREADY regarded as a guitar LEGEND!!!! You don't think THAT'S going to become even larger as the years pass???? :shock:

Neal Schon, like Eddie Van Halen, wasted his considerable talent playing cheesy power pop. He was, like, 15 when Santana asked him on board, right? Well, he could have become another Santana or Hendrix, but he chose to play it safe in schlocky pop music. I like Journey stuff, but frankly, if I had the talent he had, I woudn't waste it playing stuff like When a Man Loves a Woman.

EVH also coulda become another Hendix. And to be fair, early VH was pretty guitar-heavy and awesome. Fair Warning is one of the best guitar records ever.

But then they went all schlocky. And the stuff with Hagar is beyond embarassing.

Besides, Porl Thompson kicks Schon's ass any day of the week.

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:05 am

Bloodflower wrote:And the stuff with Hagar is beyond embarassing.

Besides, Porl Thompson kicks Schon's ass any day of the week.

You're fucking crazy. HSAS is classic. And last time I checked, guitar isn't a sport. Claiming one guitarist kicks another's ass is so high school.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:10 am

Yes, but I work in a high school, so I feel right at home.

Porl Thompson kicks every guitarist's ass since Hendrix. Hell, since Django Rheinhardt.

Which is why Page and Plant asked him to tour with them, and why Robert Smith hired him back.

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:28 am

Bloodflower wrote:Yes, but I work in a high school, so I feel right at home.

Porl Thompson kicks every guitarist's ass since Hendrix. Hell, since Django Rheinhardt.

Which is why Page and Plant asked him to tour with them, and why Robert Smith hired him back.

That's cool. Each guitarist has there own style, but no one kicks anyone's ass. Guitarists are a brotherhood, and I am sure they hate it when people compare and trash them like that.

Working in a high school must be fun. Stay away from the chicks! :twisted:
NealIsGod
MP3

Next

Return to Journey