Frontiers online magazine reviews "Generations".

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Frontiers online magazine reviews "Generations".

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:08 pm

I found this review to echo my sentiments to a tee. Really slams track #7, the lyrically bankrupt and musically insipid, "Believe". The reviewer also holds a few objections with the track listing of the album. If only they left "Believe" off the album and replaced it with "It's Never Too Late" or one of the other Arrival leftovers.

http://www.frontiers.it/Portals/0/MRF9.pdf

JOURNEY
“Generations”
Frontiers Records
by Marco Spaeth
Here it finally is – the eagerly awaited new studio album from the AOR-gods JOURNEY! “Generations” was produced by the band’s old friend Kevin Elson who was also responsible for the band’s multi-platinum albums
“Escape”, “Departure” and “Frontiers”. Musically the 13 new songs combine the classic JOURNEY style from the old days with some new
elements. The biggest change comes from the fact that every band-member sings at least one song on “Generations”. Steve Augeri (ex-TALL STORIES) is still JOURNEY’s lead singer but he’s handling lead vocals only on eight (out of thirteen) songs, the vocals on the left ones assured by his fellow band-members. After a short keyboards-intro the album opens with the wonderful midtempo anthem “Faith In The Heartland”. The song is perfectly arranged and gets driven by Neal Schon’s irresistible lead guitar harmonies and Steve Augeri’s charismatic lead vocals. The album goes on with “The Place In Your Heart”, another classic JOURNEY song with Steve Augeri on vocals. Similar in pace and arrangement to its predecessor, but with a little more guitar power during the verses. Next is one of my personal favourites, the smooth and very atmospheric “A Better Life”. Drummer Deen Castrovo does some excellent lead vocals on this song. His voice is very powerful and sounds similar to the ones of Steve Augeri and Steve Perry. I also love the arrangements of background vocals and Neal Schon's emotional guitar playing on this song.
“Every Generation” is kind of the title-track for the new album. The rocker sees Jonathan Cain on lead vocals and thrives on one of his classic
keyboards/piano arrangements. The overall feel of the song reminds me of “Don't Stop Believin”. Song # 5 is the lovely Steve Augeri
penned ballad “Butterfly (She Flies Alone)”. It's a very emotional song
that lives on some symphonic string arrangements and that grows with
every time you listen to it! Next is the mid-tempo track “Believe”
which is by far the weakest song on “Generations”. The melody and the
chorus are simply boring and don't ignite. “Knowing That You Love Me” is one of the great and classic JOURNEY ballads. Big arrangements and Steve Augeri in top-form make this song comes close to “When You Love A Woman”. The song's only problem is that it follows the disappointing “Believe” so it sounds a little misplaced and doesn’t come to full shine on “Generations”. “Out Of Harm’s Way” is a song about the
soldiers over in the Middle East. It's a dark and guitar-driven up-tempo rocker that reminds me of the material from the “Red
13” EP. The album goes on with the fast-paced and guitar-driven rocker “Self-Defense”, a remake of an old Neal Schon/Jan Hammer
song. It's no surprise that Neal Schon himself handles lead vocals on this song! Song # 10 is the powerful and heavilygrooving rocker “Better Together” which shows some similarities to Neal Schon’s other band, SOUL SIRKUS. However, it's not Jeff Scott Soto singing here, but Steve
Augeri. Another very fast-paced track is “GoneCrazy” which has a bit of a VAN HALEN vibe. Neal Schon does some nice guitar shreddinghere while Ross Valory sings leadv ocals. His deep voice sounds similar to
Billy Gibbons of ZZTop fame. On the following ballad “Beyond The
Clouds” Steve Augeri takes over lead vocals again. It's a very melodic, but also very powerfully arranged ballad featuring all classic JOURNEY trademarks: charismatic vocals, emotional lead guitars and
atmospheric keyboards! The album closes with the European bonus track
“It’s Never Too Late”, a straight uptempo rocker and the second song with
drummer Deen Castronovo on vocals.
So what about “Generations”, at the end?
It's definitely a classic JOURNEY album with lots of great songs but also with some little flaws. With another running-order and “Believe” left off, it could have turned out even stronger. Yet, “Generations” is a very good album and if you are into the music of JOURNEY, then... it’s a must!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:19 pm

Good review. To me, Better Together is the weakest song. Believe is second weakest. Butterfly does grow on you with each listen. And Gone Crazy is a bit VanHalen-ish. Great tune. Did you all listen to the Ross Valory interview in another thread? He said Neal was going to sing Gone Crazy, but they decided to let Ross do it. I'm glad they did so that every member sings at least one song.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:21 pm

NealIsGod wrote: I'm glad they did so that every member sings at least one song.

It's been fun, but for the next album I want the singers limited to primarily Steve & Deen, and to a lesser extent Jon.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:28 pm

NealIsGod wrote:To me, Better Together is the weakest song. Believe is second weakest.

I'm sorry you don't like it as much as me, but I feel "Better Together" FLAT-OUT cooks.
Anyone else notice that Augeri (at 2:59 into the track) belts out the word "mustang!", much like he does also in the Tall Stories track, "Wild on the Run"?
What's up with that guy and mustangs?
Or am I just hearing things?
Play it again.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:43 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:It's been fun, but for the next album I want the singers limited to primarily Steve & Deen, and to a lesser extent Jon.

My guess is there won't be a next album.. jmo...
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby NealIsGod » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:45 am

Why do you think that, Deano?
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:48 am

NealIsGod wrote:Why do you think that, Deano?

Too much bullshit. They cannot seem to please anyone; also the fact that they are dad's now. Imo, this is it..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby NealIsGod » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:59 am

Well, the fact that they aren't going to get rich from any new music probably does depress them. Touring is where the money is for the "old timers". I see Neal continually making new music, just as he is doing now. He seems very intent on making lightning strike again, which he is trying to do with Soul SirkUS. If Planet US had happened with Sammy and Michael Anthony, it may have struck again. The temporary VH reunion really fucked up Neal's plans.

Personally, I think Neal and Sammy should work together again. I can't think of anything in rock and roll that would pump me up more.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:59 am

Christ I hope not. Generations is a quantam leap forward for the band as currently constituted. It is discourageing when Drew has to come in and say, "put positive feedback out there, the band needs it now." I love Arrivial but this album DEMOLISHES it. I just don't get the need to rain on the parade some have.

Aside: this album must be getting tons of attention because of the giveaway and the # of tunes they're playing live. It should definately have sold enough to chart now but I guess they changed the sales total rules after Prince.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:05 am

Yeah, Journey keeps making bad decisions, IMO. They should have released it in stores, then toured. Generations blows Arrival away. One of the best CDs I have ever owned. Of course, nothing will ever supplant Milli Vanilli. :shock: (did I say that out loud?)
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:11 am

"I've been searching high.....I've been searching low. Ba ba ba BBAA ba ba ba Ba Baa..."

Shit, that was catchy. The real guys behind that album would've had a future.
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:27 am

NealIsGod wrote:Yeah, Journey keeps making bad decisions, IMO. They should have released it in stores, then toured. Generations blows Arrival away. One of the best CDs I have ever owned. Of course, nothing will ever supplant Milli Vanilli. :shock: (did I say that out loud?)

There HAS got to be a reason why Journey has gone this route. Maybe it's a legal thing or two. Why not make it available at stores? And the shows? And sell it at the shows that don't give it away?

Fucking Irving. He's the problem.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:08 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
NealIsGod wrote: I'm glad they did so that every member sings at least one song.

It's been fun, but for the next album I want the singers limited to primarily Steve & Deen, and to a lesser extent Jon.

I agree here. I hope the next CD returns to Steve on lead...maybe a duet with Deen and Jon. I want ourney to keep pushing Steve out front. It was my big disappointed through the past years. Steve's vocals never seemed to be up-front and Neal or Jon do all the talking for the band. Neal has become the focal point of Journey and it is understandable, but I think it is wrong. I think Steve still needs to be the one "in your face" when it comes to Journey.

I think "Generations" is a huge leap forward for the band. But they are still making marketing mistakes. IMO, If the band did not want to release "Generations" before the tour, then the giveaway should have been a sampler CD. That way people would want to buy it. That is why there is an attraction to the Japan and European versions...songs we do not already have! How does it help here at home?

When this tour started they heavily featured the new material, but immediately scaled it too far back based on a few reviews (and their own feelings from the audience reaction I suppose). I still think Journey should be featuring five songs from "Generations" live. And in the following tours they should still be heavily featuring "Generations" material. This year's tour is a cool idea for long-time, die-hard fans. But it is not a "commercial" show. Next year's tour should be all hits and "Generations", with a few rarities thrown in. This year's tour could have been better with a better setlist order. It would have held the casual fans' attention more while still pleasing us die-hard fans.

As much as I enjoy SS, it is a distraction. Another way for Journey to capitalize on "Generations" and this tour would be to immediately return to the studio, knock out another CD in this fashion (I think the 'sponteneous' idea works well) and properly release the CD before next year's tour. Then, play the hits, "Generations" and the new material...starting (hopefully) in Europe while the promotions begin in the States.

I guess I do not understand what Journey "wants". Are they content in simply touring? Was "Generations" like throwing the fans a bone? Do they still believe in Journey? Neal...make Journey music! Tour with Journey! You guys have come so far, but it seems like you shoot yourself in the foot. Is it Irving? Or is it you?

Every year I keep looking forward to next year with questions.
I wish I could feel content, like journey has done it all right and accomplished what they set out to. Maybe they have. But it just doesn't feel like it to me because of all the remaining opportunities.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:09 am

NealIsGod wrote:Personally, I think Neal and Sammy should work together again. I can't think of anything in rock and roll that would pump me up more.

HSAS II
HELL-YEAH!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby NealIsGod » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:23 am

jrnyman28 wrote:HSAS II
HELL-YEAH!

Sammy and Neal are even better together than Sammy and Ed, IMO. Anyone here have an HSAS concert on audio or video? I will do anything... :evil:
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:29 am

NealIsGod wrote:
jrnyman28 wrote:HSAS II
HELL-YEAH!

Sammy and Neal are even better together than Sammy and Ed, IMO. Anyone here have an HSAS concert on audio or video? I will do anything... :evil:

Go to Sammy's site. He has several tracks from HSAS from the live footage.
I am also on the lookout for the complete concert. I have seen it on eBay once in a while, but I have not bought yet.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:28 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:
NealIsGod wrote:Why do you think that, Deano?

Too much bullshit. They cannot seem to please anyone; also the fact that they are dad's now. Imo, this is it..

If management requests it, they will do it. I recall during '02, Jon Cain mentioned that there wouldn't be a full length album in the foreseeable future. He said the fans have the old albums plus Arrival to enjoy and people are too busy these days for full length albums. He mentioned periodically releasing EPs. Neal said the same thing, that the initial plan was to release EPs, but management was none too happy about that, so they began prepping for a full album.

Rock'ndeano wrote:Fucking Irving. He's the problem.

So don't be so rash to spat upon Azoff, Deano. Without him, u probably wouldn't have that new cd to enjoy.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:35 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:So don't be so rash to spat upon Azoff, Deano. Without him, u probably wouldn't have that new cd to enjoy.

That was my point. Clearly Assoff is too busy with the Eagles. Look around at other bands and their managers, and see how active they seem compared with Journey. So we got Generations from Azoff? Took 3.5 years!
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:37 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:So don't be so rash to spat upon Azoff, Deano. Without him, u probably wouldn't have that new cd to enjoy.

That was my point. Clearly Assoff is too busy with the Eagles. Look around at other bands and their managers, and see how active they seem compared with Journey. So we got Generations from Azoff? Took 3.5 years!

Umm, to be quite honest, bud....

when it comes to writing and recording new music, a rock band really shouldn't need coaxing and convincing from their agent whatsoever.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:40 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Rock'ndeano wrote:

Umm, to be quite honest, bud....

when it comes to writing and recording new music, a rock band really shouldn't need coaxing and convincing from their agent whatsoever.

O really? You don't think Herbie had those boys in line? He even named the future albums and had all the forecast envisioned..until shithead ruined everything...

Herbie was an activist. Azoff is a fucker.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:52 am

It would be nice to have HH back but things would have to change. I don't think he could do both SS and JRNY though...confl of interest.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:53 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:O really? You don't think Herbie had those boys in line? He even named the future albums and had all the forecast envisioned

That's not the point, Deano.
Regardless as to whether or not Herbie ruled with an iron fist, he has been asked repeatedly to take them back and he has turned the guys down.
What more do you want?
For Jon to put a gun to his head?
Jeez...

Rock'ndeano wrote:Herbie was an activist. Azoff is a fucker.

Irrelevant. The band members should be activists themselves. What kind of self-respecting bunch of musicians needs to be goaded by their agent into writing and recording new music? That's just plain sad. Come on, man! Stop alloting all of Journey's current troubles on one man. Life is more complex than that.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:01 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Rock'ndeano wrote:O really? You don't think Herbie had those boys in line? He even named the future albums and had all the forecast envisioned

Regardless as to whether or not Herbie ruled with an iron fist, he has been asked repeatedly to take them back and he has turned the guys down.
What more do you want?
Jeez...

Irrelevant. The band members should be activists themselves. What kind of self-respecting bunch of musicians needs to be goaded by their agent into writing and recording new music? That's just plain sad. Come on, man! Stop alloting all of Journey's current troubles on one man. Life is more complex than that.

Whatever, you win.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:08 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

What more do you want?
Jeez...

Whatever, you win.

Win, what?
I'm just stating the reality of things.
You can't place blame for every little thing you don't like ontop of Irving Azoff's head. It's just not realistic.

Journey wanted the reigns, they now have the reigns and yet, they are having to be beseeched by their agent to actually DO something musically?!?!
That's just unacceptable.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:15 am

What Azoff had to stick a charge up their rearends to do this record? That's weird. And what a result under duress if that's true!!! I just thought they changed their minds and decided against releasing EPs only....
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby mamos » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:16 am

I'm glad that SS made the record at least it brought Neal to Europe and showed him what the fans want. But if there is a choice to be made Neal needs to stick with Journey they are IMO musically better and Generations is by far a better cd than SS.

Two or three songs on the SS cd that I really like a few decent tracks and some skip button tracks. Any conflict of interest can only be to Journeys detriment.

If Neal wants to do anything with someone else, I agree with NIG go do something with Sammy, if not Sam why not a full colaboration with Jack Blades?
Mark
mamos
Ol' 78

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:29 am

mamos wrote:If Neal wants to do anything with someone else, I agree with NIG go do something with Sammy, if not Sam why not a full colaboration with Jack Blades?

There was a lot of talk about that a while back. Neal mentioned the possibility of a Schon-Blades CD. But there are already two Shaw-Blades CDs so I think the name will have to be different.

I know that I would love to hear the music the two of them would put together!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:31 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
mamos wrote:If Neal wants to do anything with someone else, I agree with NIG go do something with Sammy, if not Sam why not a full colaboration with Jack Blades?

There was a lot of talk about that a while back. Neal mentioned the possibility of a Schon-Blades CD. But there are already two Shaw-Blades CDs so I think the name will have to be different.

I know that I would love to hear the music the two of them would put together!

Well, there was a Schon + Hammer..

Schon and Jack works
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:32 am

JackSchon...sounds like Jackson with a lisp///')
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:42 am

Red13JoePa wrote:What Azoff had to stick a charge up their rearends to do this record? That's weird. And what a result under duress if that's true!!! I just thought they changed their minds and decided against releasing EPs only....

Joe, what I distinctly recall is Neal saying that they were going to go the "EPs only" route, but management wasn't too happy about that particular idea.
Take it for what it is.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Next

Return to Journey