Some Journey Issues

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Some Journey Issues

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:25 am

I just wanted to be able to discuss some of these points a little more directly and this was really in the wrong thread so here is my post from the Frontiers Reviews Thread:

I think "Generations" is a huge leap forward for the band. But they are still making marketing mistakes. IMO, If the band did not want to release "Generations" before the tour, then the giveaway should have been a sampler CD. That way people would want to buy it. That is why there is an attraction to the Japan and European versions...songs we do not already have! How does it help here at home?

When this tour started they heavily featured the new material, but immediately scaled it too far back based on a few reviews (and their own feelings from the audience reaction I suppose). I still think Journey should be featuring five songs from "Generations" live. And in the following tours they should still be heavily featuring "Generations" material. This year's tour is a cool idea for long-time, die-hard fans. But it is not a "commercial" show. Next year's tour should be all hits and "Generations", with a few rarities thrown in. This year's tour could have been better with a better setlist order. It would have held the casual fans' attention more while still pleasing us die-hard fans.

As much as I enjoy SS, it is a distraction. Another way for Journey to capitalize on "Generations" and this tour would be to immediately return to the studio, knock out another CD in this fashion (I think the 'sponteneous' idea works well) and properly release the CD before next year's tour. Then, play the hits, "Generations" and the new material...starting (hopefully) in Europe while the promotions begin in the States.

I guess I do not understand what Journey "wants". Are they content in simply touring? Was "Generations" like throwing the fans a bone? Do they still believe in Journey? Neal...make Journey music! Tour with Journey! You guys have come so far, but it seems like you shoot yourself in the foot. Is it Irving? Or is it you?

Every year I keep looking forward to next year with questions.
I wish I could feel content, like journey has done it all right and accomplished what they set out to. Maybe they have. But it just doesn't feel like it to me because of all the remaining opportunities
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:35 am

This band is a mystery. You all know I think Azoff is a fuckhead, but TNC is right...the Band needs to have some motivation. Perhaps Schon has too much on his plate? I noticed his next solo CD "Best of NS" is scrapped.....Journey WILL always be there and the tickets are always going to sell...I really think he could use SS as a measuring tool for Europe....test the waters for Journey's trip over...
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:39 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:I really think he could use SS as a measuring tool for Europe....test the waters for Journey's trip over...

I certainly think it helped with next year's plans. But I don't think Neal needed the motivation to go overseas, I think the promoter's did. Neal and the guys have been saying this for several years now. I guess SS showed the promoters that Neal was in demand.

I still think the European Tour should be a leg of the "Generations" tour and I would love to see it take place while release and promotion of either "Generations" or a NEW CD takes place in the States!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:20 am

jrnyman28 wrote:I still think the European Tour should be a leg of the "Generations" tour and I would love to see it take place while release and promotion of either "Generations" or a NEW CD takes place in the States!

It still yet might be.... I can see this tour getting extended for a trip over the Atlantic....Then release the CD here, and come back and do a nice long leg here, complete with Better Life added in, which by that time, should be a single.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:10 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:It still yet might be.... I can see this tour getting extended for a trip over the Atlantic....Then release the CD here, and come back and do a nice long leg here, complete with Better Life added in, which by that time, should be a single.

Wouldn't THAT be cool!! That is the way I see it too...but does Journey want that? Neal has SS to do... :roll:
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:12 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
Rock'ndeano wrote:It still yet might be.... I can see this tour getting extended for a trip over the Atlantic....Then release the CD here, and come back and do a nice long leg here, complete with Better Life added in, which by that time, should be a single.

Wouldn't THAT be cool!! That is the way I see it too...but does Journey want that? Neal has SS to do... :roll:

Dude, I called Azoff about 10 times..they have my number on record and won't pickup anymore..

We need to roll that fucker and take Journey on a Journey!
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:50 am

Why didn't you ask for him?
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:21 am

Love the quote NiG!!

I posted in the other thread that I really wonder what it would take to get a conference call with Irv or Tom, simply to ask some questions and give some comments. Even if he told us why these ideas don't or wouldn't work, it would be something...
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyjetster » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:28 am

Dave, I agree with most everything you've stated, with the exception of one thing...I wouldn't expect another studio album anytime in the near future. IF you don't have enough CONFIDENCE in your NEW material to play it LIVE, then why bother? :? This frustrates me to no end...
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:31 am

jrnyjetster wrote:Dave, I agree with most everything you've stated, with the exception of one thing...I wouldn't expect another studio album anytime in the near future. IF you don't have enough CONFIDENCE in your NEW material to play it LIVE, then why bother? :? This frustrates me to no end...

I hear ya John. I think it would be a good idea, but I do not expect it either. In fact, I think Deano is right, I expect to see Journey slow down again after 2006. Short tours, no music, and our return to begging.:(
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:38 am

This is it. 2006 they are done, imo. They are 50-55 yrs old.. Enough already. I want this board to shut down cause I can't take it anymore.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby OpeningAct » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:41 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:This is it. 2006 they are done, imo. They are 50-55 yrs old.. Enough already. I want this board to shut down cause I can't take it anymore.
Why Deano is everything about YOU???? :roll:
OpeningAct
LP

Postby Jeremey » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:08 pm

i do agree that i think this tour and this cd is a swan song for the band. think about it - a cd where everyone gets their chance to sing, a retrospective tour highlighting some of the more obscure songs in their 30 year history. it's true, the band as a whole is in their fifties now, and certainly as steve augeri gets closer to 50 his voice is going to be less flexible and the abuse heaped on it by singing these songs night after night will be less and less possible to overcome with drugs and potions. i think it's a great way to go out, and a little time out of the public eye after this tour would set them up well for a hall of fame appearance, and maybe one final get together w/perry, a la the police at last year's induction ceremony.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby NealIsGod » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:15 am

Jeremey wrote:i do agree that i think this tour and this cd is a swan song for the band. think about it - a cd where everyone gets their chance to sing, a retrospective tour highlighting some of the more obscure songs in their 30 year history. it's true, the band as a whole is in their fifties now, and certainly as steve augeri gets closer to 50 his voice is going to be less flexible and the abuse heaped on it by singing these songs night after night will be less and less possible to overcome with drugs and potions. i think it's a great way to go out, and a little time out of the public eye after this tour would set them up well for a hall of fame appearance, and maybe one final get together w/perry, a la the police at last year's induction ceremony.

(placing hands over ears) NO! NO! NO! NOT LISTENING! JOURNEY WILL KEEP RECORDING AND TOURING FOREVER!!!

You make too much sense, Jeremey. Now I am pissed... :cry: :evil:
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:08 am

NealIsGod wrote:You make too much sense, Jeremey. Now I am pissed... :cry: :evil:

YEAH! What HE said!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Red13JoePa » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:19 am

They're not going anywhere. Neal wanted this band back so bad they dumped THE VOICE to continue on. I really think they're enjoying what they're doing because it's summers only and they had a 10-year hiatus. The batteries still must have most of their charge left. Tons of time to recharge the batteries. They're in great physical shape, Steve's only 45 and sounds better than ever and this is the best album at LEAST since ROR. I think if they HAD been together for 87-96 then they may very well be retired or burned out and doing different things now. SHould Augeri's voice begin to show irrevocable signs of attrition (which to me is unlikely as for YEARS it had been dormant and underutilized), I predict he will bow out in favor of Deen who's only 40 or even an experiment with Perry. But that's too far flung and ahead in the future. I see more albums and definately a lot of touring in jrny's future.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby SomedayExcitedAgain » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:07 am

In regards to marketing this band, I don't get the point of releasing a full CD only to those who go to the shows. I like to be familiar with the new stuff prior to the concert so I know which songs I'll get into and which ones I'll be spending taking a piss, grabbing dinner, or buying a shirt.

As for this being the last tour, I doubt it IMO. Still too much of a cash cow for the band.
SomedayExcitedAgain
Radio Waves

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:15 am

SomedayExcitedAgain wrote:In regards to marketing this band, I don't get the point of releasing a full CD only to those who go to the shows.

They are not. They are releasing Generations. But it is a thank you gift (bonus) to the fans who support them on tour.

SomedayExcitedAgain wrote:I like to be familiar with the new stuff prior to the concert so I know which songs I'll get into and which ones I'll be spending taking a piss, grabbing dinner, or buying a shirt.

I do too. And many have shared extra copies, or even copied Generations for fans they KNOW will buy a copy when available. Sadly, it IS on p2p...but really, that is a way to reach more people with their new music. Maybe they finally embraced what word of mouth can do for the band.

SomedayExcitedAgain wrote:As for this being the last tour, I doubt it IMO. Still too much of a cash cow for the band.

I think there will be more tours. And atleast one BIG one to end it all...but the question is will there be any more new music? Since I love Generations, I certainly hope there is a lot more where that came from.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby SomedayExcitedAgain » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:21 am

Whatever happened to just being able to walk into a CD store and buying the release a month or so before the show?
SomedayExcitedAgain
Radio Waves

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:32 am

Well, it's not the 80's anymore. Any band from that time is struggling to market new material. Who would have ever thought that selling 200,000 copies of a CD was a GOOD thing? Not me. But bands from that era are moving 40-75,000 copies of CDs. The fans want what they remember...the new stuff just doesn't feel right. A band can evolve with the years and fans will say "that is not the band I love" or they can stay the same and the fans say "It just doesn't feel the same". Oh well.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:54 am

SomedayExcitedAgain wrote:Whatever happened to just being able to walk into a CD store and buying the release a month or so before the show?

Sony Music Inc.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:27 am

Generations is too good for them to pull the plug on new records in the future. The band is finding its post THE VOICE :roll: stride. Some more rocking label other than Columbia will pick this up and distribute it, maybe even ink them to a multi album deal. One of the lesser light lables like Sanctuary (i know what the man who invented music Kalodner said, but still) or the one Styx went with for Big Ban Theory. Those labels will allow the band to be more creative/hard-edged and all will be happy cuz the albums'll be on shelves. They'll be better off there where they get the benefit of the doubt and actually get promotion then they will on a big name label being ignored.

Now I can't get Gone Crazy off my stereo. Deen and Neal are first rate on that thing. This is blues rock at it's finest. Aerosmith would've been proud to have it on Honkin On Bobo. Gotta disagree with you Rock N.... :shock:
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:49 am

Red13JoePa wrote: Gotta disagree with you Rock N.... :shock:

Yeah..But about what?
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:50 am

About Gone Crazy.

Rock-N-Deano: "Gone Crazy. How do I say this? I HATE it."
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:58 am

no. not me. I dig it now.. Shit, ZZ top got into the HOF with this..I like it actually.

Hey bitch(red13), send me my cd's... :D :D :D :D :D :D

If I ewas gay, I'd loan you a bone..bleck!@!!! :x :x :x
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:37 am

Bro: THey're not done yet. I anticipate having them in my hands tommorrow. I want you to thear the shit, too. It's wild.
Red13JoePa
MP3

Return to Journey