New "Generations" Review

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

New "Generations" Review

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:42 am

http://www.shipwreckislandstudios.com/albumreviews/2005/generations.htm

1. Faith In The Heartland - This track is almost 7 minutes long, how so? Well there's an intro to the actual song that is about 40 seconds. Very similar to Red 13 as if your entering space or seeing things fly around you.. Which is directly connected right to Faith In The Heartland. From the first guitar riff to Steve Augeri's YEAH...... YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you'll be hooked. By far one of the best songs Journey has ever written and I'm not talking the New Journey Vs. Old Journey I'm talking over the span of 30 years this is one of the best songs they have ever released. Now what makes this song so amazing? Well first off Vocals, say what you will about Steve Perry leaving this band.. Go right ahead, we've all heard the Perry Vs. Augeri arguments, truth of the matter is YOU CAN'T COMPARE THEM! They each have their own styles, Augeri takes this song and runs with it. Easily his best vocal performance on an individual song since his Journey debut 8 years ago. Secondly, the lyrics are extremely well written fast paced right in your face rock! Last but not least.. Neal Schon's guitar licks, straight forward and not to overpowering fits the flow of the song perfectly.

2. The Place In Your Heart - Now when I heard this track the first time I was basically saying umm NO!!! But after more listens it grew on me. This song is very similar to past Journey songs Chain Reaction & Stone In Love, now I know people are like how so? We'll the backing mix is definitely Chain Reaction, you can take the solo out of Chain Reaction and put it in this song and boom it fits. As for Stone In Love, it has that same overall feel especially during the middle of the track. Is it bad that these songs are similar? No, it's familiar but a little to familiar for some I'm sure. After a few listens it just grows on you; Augeri's vocals are amazing once again but the guitar licks get a bigger nod in this one. Neal pulls out some killer riffs that match the intensity of the song.

3. A Better Life - Slowing down the album now, What's this? Deen Castronovo on lead vocals? That's correct!! People who've seen Journey live in concert the past few years have been able to hear Deen sing lead on a few songs. Now everyone is able to hear his amazing vocals. A lot of people compare his vocals to Steve Perry even more so then Augeri's, again does it really matter who he sounds similar to? It is true he does have that Perry sound but he also has his own way of singing. A very soft soothing song, nothing to fault on this one except that the drums could have been punched up a tad as they seem to be lost in the background. If Augeri would have sung this song would it have been better then this version? We'll never know but one thing is clear Deen has one great set of pipes, look for him to be lead vocals on a new project soon. Also the backing vocals by the rest of the group takes you back to Escape/Frontiers.

4. Every Generation - Lets get back to rockin', What's this? Jonathan Cain on lead vocals? That's correct!! Anyone who again has seen Journey live these past few years has been able to hear Jonathan sing a song or two which is always welcomed, as he has an amazing voice. The lyrics and the backing vocal mix are extremely well done and you'll be groovin' along in no time. But.....Does this song need to be on this album? Here's the debate, if you have a lead singer then why are the other members singing lead on songs? What is your lead singer doing then? Well we don't have the answers to all these questions but we can say this song is very well done but it didn't need to be on this album. Jonathan has been toying with the idea of another all vocal solo album for years, this song would have been perfect for that project. Again this is a great song don't get me wrong here, it just didn't need to be on a "Journey" album. Also just to put this in perspective, had this song been sung by Augeri it would have been a perfect fit for this album.

5. Butterfly (She Flies Alone) - Slowing back down, Augeri's back on lead vocals! There's a great story in this song, pay close attention to the lyrics which are beautifully written. A soft moving song with a piano backing, just letting Augeri do his thing! Who wrote this song? That would be Mr. Augeri, completely done alone showing that he can not only play instruments and sing but can write with the best of them. The lyrics are dead on amazing and the overall feel of the song is nothing short of classic Journey. How can anyone say that Augeri doesn't fit in this band, just look at the way he writes the material and it's easy to see he certainly does belong.

6. Believe - And now back to rock! After a great ballad type song Journey hits back with Believe another song completely written by Steve Augeri. This is a song that sounds very similar to Steve's prior works with Tall Stories, a great story telling song. This is a song where Neal can lay down some riffs and Deen can just pound away on the skins. The vocal mix is really insane (in a good way), meaning the echo's and touch-ups to Augeri's vocals are simply breathtaking. I'd have to say this is Augeri's crowning moment in Journey, by saying to the fans "I Believe In You, You Believe In Me."

7. Knowing That You Love Me - It's classic Journey ballad time!! Open Arms, what's that? Seriously this song makes Open Arms look bad. Jonathan Cain penned this beauty all by his lonesome and it's another milestone in his already amazing writing/music career. Classic lyrics, classic backing harmony, this song just screams classic!! Neal Schon known for his riff antics, show's he can still slow it down and pull off and beautiful guitar solo. This song was made for Augeri's vocals, this is definitely one of his best performances in his amazing career. What else can be said about this song, it's basically the beginning of what could be and what should be when it comes to Continuing The Journey!

8. Out Of Harms Way - Back to rockin', but there's a catch. This song contains a really deep meaning, political? We'll leave that alone and just focus on the musicianship. Augeri sounds great, but here's the thing with this song.. Neal try's to hard, overpowering guitar solo going into the unknown. This song isn't Journey at all, you could make a case that the piano/keyboards are Journey but other then that I'd have to say there's nothing here. Seems like a lot of fluff here not to mention there's parts where the drums are to strong which coming from myself being a drummer that's hard to say, but it's true they are overpowering in parts. To me, sounds like a Soul SirkUS left over, not that I'd think they could do better with this song.

9. In Self-Defense - Rocker, remake of a classic Hammer/Schon song. Neal takes over on lead vocals, now here's the problem with this song why was it added to a Journey album? There's two reasons I can see for it being added, one Neal needed a song to sing leads on because they didn't have any others to do. Second, Neal is thinking here's a song I can play live with 2 bands, Journey & Soul SirkUS. Look whatever the reason is it's clear that this song is just not needed on this album. It doesn't fit at all, the only Journey part about it is that it was co written by Jonathan Cain and that the backing vocals are classic Journey.

10. Better Together - Rocker, penned by Jonathan Cain/Neal Schon/Steve Augeri I was figuring ok back to where it all started on this album with Faith In The Heartland. Boy was I wrong, they tried to go a bit harder with this song and it turned into fluff. Augeri just doesn't sound good on this track at all but that's not because he doesn't try, I think his vocals just can't handle the up's and down's of a harder song like this one. Neal is all over the place, it's definitely a Soul SirkUS type song where it's all about jamming not about a message.

11. Gone Crazy - Blues anyone? Ross takes his turn on lead vocals, there's really no singing in this song it's basically talking. It's all about personal choice on this one, if your into the Blues you might like it. For me I found myself covering my ears, the whole song screams please stop!! There's nothing else to say about this song, it does not need to be on a Journey album, it's more jamming for Neal if anything. I'm sure there's other songs they could have used that would have showcased Ross's vocals better.

12. Beyond The Clouds - Slowing down to another ballad song, here's another shot at letting the real frontman in the band to do his thing. Augeri sounds amazing, the lyrics are extremely well written and the overall feel is as if you are floating! There's nothing to overpowering on this song except some of the guitar backing work but that can be overlooked when you hear how amazing Augeri sounds. I think what really enhances Augeri's vocals would be the echoing, just a hint of it really adds to his vocal range. Another one of those songs that is a great continuing point for these fine musicians. I will say the ending guitars really tie the whole song together as you slowly drift away...

13. It's Never Too Late (Bonus Track) - Now you'll have this track if you ordered it from Frontiers Records. Deen on lead vocals, is it worth buying that version just for this song? Well the answer to that is easy.. NO, it's an ok song but it's just not Deen's cup of tea maybe Augeri could have done it a bit better but I think the real problem with this song is writing. The lyrics just aren't that impressive, then again that maybe the reason why it was held off of the Arrival album. It was penned by Jonathan Cain/Neal Schon/Jack Blades and I'd say the better way to end the album would have been to just stick with the 12 track's and end it with Beyond The Clouds. Then again when you get your free copy at the concerts that's exactly what you get so there you have it.

The Rundown:

Fans have been waiting a long time for this album, does it live up to the hype?

+'s (Positives)

+ Steve Augeri's vocals are better then ever, he's definitely grown into his own.

+ Jonathan Cain's soulful writing style is one that can't be beat. When he writes a song, people take note and remember it.

+ It's new Journey material.

+ Steve Augeri showcases his writing style adding another notch to his Journey legacy.

+ Faith In The Heartland & Knowing That You Love Me, two of the best Journey songs ever written.

-'s (Negatives)

- Neal Schon's constant jamming obsession which wasn't needed on some tracks.

- Multiple singers on a Journey album? Sorry but it wasn't necessary.

- Time constraints, they could have taken more time to get this album ready.

- Mastering of the album, could have been a bit tighter, then again it's better then Red 13 so you can't dock them to badly.

Overall:

Here we go, the overall section of Journey - Generations, what will we talk about here? Well basically I'd like to focus on 3 sections before the final information about the album to give everyone a side of Journey you might not know about and put it all into perspective.
#1 - Time Constraints..... #2 - Issues..... #3 - Continuing The Journey.....

#1 - Time Constraints, Journey promised a new studio album.. But Neal Schon went out and did Soul SirkUS which at it's beginning was a killer idea, call it Planet Us and get Sammy Hagar to lead the project. After that fell through Neal went out and grabbed JSS, and they set out to record an album. After major issues with touring and Deen saying no thanks and taking off. Soul SirkUS was eating the clock up on Journey's tour this year as well as the time to record an album. But no one said a thing, Neal went ahead and they found a new drummer for the SirkUS and rerecorded the album and re-released it. Mean while Journey sat doing nothing because Neal was busy with this project. Now there's been tons of press on what Soul SirkUS did this year, the tour, the 2 albums (1 album just rerecorded). Not to mention the rudeness shown toward us here @ The Island by one member of that band. Look the fact of the matter is, that project took up way to much time and money. By the time they were done with their mini tour and 2 albums (again 1 album just rerecorded) Journey was left with little time to do their album. So this Journey album which fans have waited for ... for years was simply put on the back burner. The first side of this album is simply breathtaking some of their best work ever. But the 2nd side shows that they had to make fast choices and move quickly to get this album done with and get on the road.

#2 - Issues, besides the issues I listed above about having little time and the whole SS thing, there are other factors here. One being hype, when you hear an artist talk up an album usually that's a bad sign. When you have people saying how amazing Soul SirkUS album was and how groundbreaking it is you are expecting something flat-out unbelievable. But then you hear it and go it's just average rock, whoopee!!. This is something to watch for when it comes to this album, Generations. I'm not saying you can't look at an album and say this is great work, because why would an artist come out and say this is a bad album. But what I am saying is that people want the truth they don't want to hear someone say how amazing an album is and how it's groundbreaking and then you are suckered into purchasing it only to find out it's an average disc at best. Money doesn't grow on trees, so a little honesty from musicians would go along way. Taking a little more time on an album would go along way as well, after all it's the fans that pay for the concert seats.

#3 - Continuing The Journey, alright here we are 2005. Steve Augeri and Deen Castronovo have been with this band for 8 years. 8 YEARS PEOPLE!! what that means is, this is the longest time that any set of members have been together in the history of JOURNEY. This also means things can change for the better or for the worse. The end of 04, with the whole Soul SirkUS thing left a bad taste in my mouth as did the beginning of 2005 when that was all we heard about. What will the future hold for Journey? Will Neal's 2nd band Soul SirkUS, which was originally said to be just a side project take over Neal's full attention and he'll just move on with them? No one knows except for Mr. Schon himself. For years we've all sat by and watched this man take Journey to the limit and bring it back from the dead. But I think the main focus has been lost, how to prove it? Well as I'm sure most of you know, Soul SirkUS has announced they are now writing their next album. Neal is currently on tour with Journey, what does that mean? It means members of Soul SirkUS are writing with Neal while he's on tour with his Money Maker Band, that would be Journey! This is so wrong in so many ways, Journey hasn't even had Generations out there to the general public yet (unless you've hit a show or been on Journey's forum's and received a copy). So basically this album is getting no push what so ever and yet Soul SirkUS can work on a new album, someone please explain to me how that makes any sense. Not to mention Soul SirkUS can record shows live, for DVD's or a Live CD if they choose and yet Journey doesn't? I know we've all heard the whole Steve Perry controls this and that so Journey can't record a DVD or Live CD with Augeri. But if that was the case then why can American Idol members and other artists do covers of Journey songs and release them? Again it just doesn't all add up when you look at the situations that are presenting themselves.

Now on to why this album is good but not great. What you have here are shining moments in time. Steve Augeri is finally coming into his own. You can hear how amazing his vocals are, he sounds so much better then he did on Arrival/Red 13 and even at that time he sounded great. Jonathan Cain has pulled out all the stops and has written some amazing pieces of art. The band seems to be really together on this album, at least for the first half. Tracks 1-7 + 12 are what I consider the first half, 8-11 + 13 would be the 2nd half. The first half of the disk seems to be put together extremely well but once you hit track 8 it goes downhill why? Well first of all these songs are not those feel good, have a good time type songs they are pretty much jam songs. If played live yes they would be good, but you don't need jam songs on a studio album, that's what DVD's are for (hint hint Neal).

So in closing this album has some real highs and some real lows because no one has any idea as to the Continuation Of Journey. Artists close to the group can say all they want but unless we actually hear it from one of those who doesn't speak much such as Jonathan/Deen/Steve/Ross then we have to take other words as a grain of salt. This album shows how Journey was/is and can be into the future amazing if things are done right. But it also shows the side of not again.. 1986 anyone?

4.45 out of 5
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:54 am

Wow, pretty scathing remarks about Soul SirkUS, but I have to agree. I think Neal is wasting his time and money on that project. I agree with a lot of what that review says about Generations, but I think I like the CD more than that guy does.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:25 am

Hey, just because this guy writes for a publication or a record company or whatever, doesn't mean he isn't full of shit.

First off, his grammar is 2nd grade. Someone over their might want to explain to him how to use the adjective word "too" instead of "to." His opinion even tho his, is wrong. Proof? This guy likes Believe, and dislikes "Out of Harms Way." He is dyslexic. Believe sucks and OOHW is pretty good. Harms Way does have classic Journey vocals and harmonies. Believe is junk.

Neal can do whatever the Hell he wants. This guy writes how Schon is all over the place.. Hell, Perry was all over the place and beyond in 86.....

Shipwreck? No, this guy is a train wreck. Also, I would like to know who the member of SoulsirkUS who was "rude" to Shipwereck?
Last edited by Rockindeano on Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Hippie » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:33 am

I agree with some of what he says. Though he was a bit heavy handed.

I diagree about the multi singer criticism. I liked it when Rolie or Schon took lead for a song or two; or dueted w/ Perry. I wouldn't mind them doing that again. Weren't there supposed to be duets on this one?
“How did that sound?”

“Like Teddy Ruxbin hooked up to a car battery!”

---Night Court
Hippie
45 RPM

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:12 am

Hippie wrote:I agree with some of what he says. Though he was a bit heavy handed.

I diagree about the multi singer criticism. I liked it when Rolie or Schon took lead for a song or two; or dueted w/ Perry. I wouldn't mind them doing that again. Weren't there supposed to be duets on this one?

I guess the duets became whole songs. I think it is a little overdone on the CD. If there is another CD after this one, I hope they return to a duet, maybe one song by Deen or Jon and the rest all Steve. I think his vocal work on "Generations" has proven himself. Let him be the face and voice of this band.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:15 am

Agree, J28. This was cool as a lark to celebrate the 30 years and different Generations of the band. And I will continue to enjoy the different vox as such.
Next time (if there is one, Rock N) go back to all Steve and 1 Deen and 1 Steve and Jonathan Feeling That Way esque duet.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:44 am

I prefer the Perry years. Duh.

BUT I prefer Rollie to Cain. True, Cain did some cool ballady stuff, but I liked Rollie's organ and voice.

Ideal Journey for me would be Schon, Perry, Rollie, Valory, and Smith. Maybe Augeri for back-up vocals and guitar? Doesn't he play rhythm? And that Deen guy - just don't know enough about him. Sorry. But Rollie was cool - loved the interplay of the deeper vocals of Rollie with the tenor vocals of Perry. Rollie had that husky bass that was kinda sexy.

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:57 am

Bloodflower wrote:And that Deen guy - just don't know enough about him.

Dean has worked with Neal since Neal's first solo CD Late Nite. He was the drummer for Bad English. He has also worked with Ozzy and others. Very talent drummer. No Smitty, but very good.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:03 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
Bloodflower wrote:And that Deen guy - just don't know enough about him.

Dean has worked with Neal since Neal's first solo CD Late Nite. He was the drummer for Bad English. He has also worked with Ozzy and others. Very talent drummer. No Smitty, but very good.

While Smitty is probably a better drummer, I would take DEEN(2 EE's), instead because of the added vocals....not only for lead, but backups...

I would love to hear I'll Be Alright Without You" with Castronovas' vocals? That would send goosebumps through you..Perry on lead, Deen and Jon doing backup...amazing..

come on 28, it's Deen..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:07 am

You guys really need to "Google" more (just kidding) :wink:

Here's a little information about Deen:

CONTRIBUTION TO JOURNEY:
Drums, Backing vocals

YEARS WITH JOURNEY:
1998-present

ALBUMS WITH JOURNEY:
Arrival, Red 13

BANDS BEFORE JOURNEY:
Bad English, Jason Becker, George Bellas, Stef Burns, Cacophony, Steve Fontano, Marty Friedman, Geezer, Matt Guillory, Hardline, Tony Macalpine, Mike Mani, Peter Marrino, James Murphy, Paul Northfield, Ted Nugent, Jimmy O'Shea, Ozzy Osborne, Ricky Phillips, Tony Phillips, Paul Rodgers, Neal Schon, Mark Spiro, Joey Tafolla, Devin Townsend, Steve Vai, Mike Varney, Von Groove, Wild Dogs, Richie Zito

Here's more information along with pictures over the years (too long to post):

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/De ... onovo.html
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:09 am

Oh, and I personally think Deen has an AWESOME voice. When I first heard him sing, I was amazed!!! I wouldn't be surprised if he started to sing more songs in concert or on future cd's - just my opinion 8) Great drummer too. I think Neil Peart is #1, Deen's right up there in the top 15 of today's drummers.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:12 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Oh, and I personally think Deen has an AWESOME voice. When I first heard him sing, I was amazed!!! I wouldn't be surprised if he started to sing more songs in concert or on future cd's - just my opinion 8) Great drummer too. I think Neil Peart is #1, Deen's right up there in the top 15 of today's drummers.

Hey Suite.
I think you took a wrong turn somewhere.This is not the Styx board.
Oh,I guess I did too.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby cubby69 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:11 am

Bloodflower wrote:I prefer the Perry years. Duh.

BUT I prefer Rollie to Cain. True, Cain did some cool ballady stuff, but I liked Rollie's organ and voice.

Ideal Journey for me would be Schon, Perry, Rollie, Valory, and Smith. Maybe Augeri for back-up vocals and guitar? Doesn't he play rhythm? And that Deen guy - just don't know enough about him. Sorry. But Rollie was cool - loved the interplay of the deeper vocals of Rollie with the tenor vocals of Perry. Rollie had that husky bass that was kinda sexy.

I actually prefer Rolie over Cain also, always have. I don't care what anybody says, but I was way more upset when Rolie left then I ever was when Perry left.

I loved the Rolie/Perry duets, that is why I will always feel that lineup was the bands strongest. Not to mention, while Rolie had a say in things, they remained a rock band. Nothing against Cain, but when he came on board, Journey changed from a rock band to a 'ballad hit singles' pop band and it was never the same.

People are always going on and on about how much Journeys sound changed from Next to Infinity. Well, they changed a hell of a lot more from Departure to Escape. And I for one, wish they hadn't.
When its all boiled down and the days at an end, I'll give you no bullshit and I'll never pretend.
cubby69
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:28 am

NealIsGod wrote:Wow, pretty scathing remarks about Soul SirkUS.

The always internet saavy and very fan accessible, Jeff Soto has replied to the anti-SS remarks found in this review (both the review and Soto's subsequent follow-up comments are from Back Talk).

Here is what JSS had to say:

Tony, you sir, are an idiot!!! You mention so many facts(?) you are so unsure about, going so far as to making sure you mentioned being 'dissed' by a member of SS, I presume you're refering to ME. But you obviously don't remember the email I sent apologizing to whatever it was you were griping about at the time, nor did you ever reply to this email from ME.
I only post this here publicly so the same folks you're sharing your public airing of SS negativity vs. what you 'assume' would have made for a stronger Journey album see your validity is equal to sensationlism you'd find in the Enquirer. Why not set up an interview 'asking' questions focusing on your implications, maybe from there you'd get some of what you write....right!

You couldn't even see take the general statement of 'working on new songs for the next SS album' at face value!! Read it slowly & clearly, you might be able to read it as we're just getting a head start on writing on days OFF during the tour...we're not jumping into the studio between soundcheck & churning out a new album to be out by friggin' XMAS!

I'll leave this sublect alone now, just wanted to vent at items that are proudly made here publicly but deface others unnecessarily without getting the facts straight 1st...if you had done that & still had some sensationalism to write about, I'd just sit back & bite my tongue while you wrote the facts. Journey made a darn good album with or without the distraction of Soul SirkUS...& vice versa!

JSS
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:31 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:While Smitty is probably a better drummer, I would take DEEN(2 EE's), instead because of the added vocals....not only for lead, but backups...

I would love to hear I'll Be Alright Without You" with Castronovas' vocals? That would send goosebumps through you..Perry on lead, Deen and Jon doing backup...amazing..

come on 28, it's Deen..

It's also Castonovo!

We all make mistakes once in a while, myself included. But I even thought it when I wrote it.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby JohnH » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:40 am

I just listened to the clips for the first time all together last night and I thought the album sounded pretty good. Not every song was great but it will defintitely be worth buying. I also thought finally Steve Augeri is sounding more like himself than Steve Perry. When I first put on Arrival, and even now, I think I'm listening to Steve Perry. I thought Ross's song was also totally rocking and cool and his vocals fit it perfect! Funny I just reread Herbie Herbert's interview where he said Jonathan Cain was not a very good singer and I'd have to agree with that.

John
JohnH
8 Track

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:43 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Oh, and I personally think Deen has an AWESOME voice. When I first heard him sing, I was amazed!!! I wouldn't be surprised if he started to sing more songs in concert or on future cd's - just my opinion 8) Great drummer too. I think Neil Peart is #1, Deen's right up there in the top 15 of today's drummers.

I know Deen will be involved with a CD coming out where he is the lead vocalist. But with Journey? I think his role is what it is. A song on a CD, a couple in concert. He is a very talented man.

And I agree that Smitty was much more technically proficient but Deen does bring something extra to the table with his vocals.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:44 am

cubby69 wrote:People are always going on and on about how much Journeys sound changed from Next to Infinity. Well, they changed a hell of a lot more from Departure to Escape. And I for one, wish they hadn't.

Absolutely. And while Perry's voice got Journey on the radio, Jon Cain's songwriting got them the HITS!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:44 am

Cubby: I agree! Infinity, Evolution, Departure. WOW! Great albums. Then Escape. Great album too, but totally different vibe. And too many ballady things. Although - Who's Crying Now is officially the BEST ballad ever.

I prefer the rocky stuff to the ballads. Frontiers had a hard-rock edge. I may prefer Frontiers to Escape actually. It moves the band forward into some kinda edgy territory.

I really need to get the earlier Journey stuff on CD. It's been years since I heard Ev, Dep, Infinity. What a shame.

And I don't think I've ever heard Next and the self-titled. No, I take it back: I have, but never owned them.

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:48 am

JohnH wrote:I just listened to the clips for the first time all together last night and I thought the album sounded pretty good. Not every song was great but it will defintitely be worth buying. I also thought finally Steve Augeri is sounding more like himself than Steve Perry. When I first put on Arrival, and even now, I think I'm listening to Steve Perry. I thought Ross's song was also totally rocking and cool and his vocals fit it perfect! Funny I just reread Herbie Herbert's interview where he said Jonathan Cain was not a very good singer and I'd have to agree with that.

John

Great post and welcome to the board.
I agree that Steve has really found himself, instead of trying to sing like Perry. The last couple tours have seen his confidence grow and I think that is how he did it (finding himself).

I think Jon's vocals are fine...and I think they are MUCH better than they used to be. So there is room for both to be right.

As for Ross' song, it does not really fit on the CD...but it is a SMOKIN' track IMO!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:52 am

Bloodflower wrote:Cubby: I agree! Infinity, Evolution, Departure. WOW! Great albums. Then Escape. Great album too, but totally different vibe. And too many ballady things. Although - Who's Crying Now is officially the BEST ballad ever.

Departure was Journey at it's finest IMO!

Bloodflower wrote:I prefer the rocky stuff to the ballads. Frontiers had a hard-rock edge. I may prefer Frontiers to Escape actually. It moves the band forward into some kinda edgy territory.

I used to think nothing could touch ESCAPE, but I notice that the music is starting to lose it's appeal. (Partially to it being played to DEATH!) I now rank Frontiers higher than Escape. Part of the reason is the experimentation on side 2!

Bloodflower wrote:And I don't think I've ever heard Next and the self-titled. No, I take it back: I have, but never owned them.

Like Cubby said, listen to Next and then listen to Infinity. You will hear a lot of similarities among all the "new sound of Perry".
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby cubby69 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:53 am

Bloodflower wrote:Cubby: I agree! Infinity, Evolution, Departure. WOW! Great albums. Then Escape. Great album too, but totally different vibe. And too many ballady things. Although - Who's Crying Now is officially the BEST ballad ever.

I prefer the rocky stuff to the ballads. Frontiers had a hard-rock edge. I may prefer Frontiers to Escape actually. It moves the band forward into some kinda edgy territory.

I really need to get the earlier Journey stuff on CD. It's been years since I heard Ev, Dep, Infinity. What a shame.

And I don't think I've ever heard Next and the self-titled. No, I take it back: I have, but never owned them.

I prefer Frontiers over Escape also, but like you said the vibe was totally different and IMHO, neither of those albums stand up to any of the ones before them.

You should buy the first three pre-Perry albums and really listen to them, other than Rolie singing lead (with a few by Neal) the music is still very much Journey. Yes there are several songs where they 'free-jam' for several minutes. But there are also many songs that would fit into any other era of the band.
When its all boiled down and the days at an end, I'll give you no bullshit and I'll never pretend.
cubby69
Ol' 78

Postby Monker » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:36 am

Deen is a great drummer, no doubt about that. But, in the top 15? I doubt it. Todd Sucherman beats Deen, easily.
Monker
MP3

Postby Fernando Ramirez » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:57 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Here's a little information about Deen:

BANDS BEFORE JOURNEY:
Bad English, Jason Becker, George Bellas, Stef Burns, Cacophony, Steve Fontano, Marty Friedman, Geezer, Matt Guillory, Hardline, Tony Macalpine, Mike Mani, Peter Marrino, James Murphy, Paul Northfield, Ted Nugent, Jimmy O'Shea, Ozzy Osborne, Ricky Phillips, Tony Phillips, Paul Rodgers, Neal Schon, Mark Spiro, Joey Tafolla, Devin Townsend, Steve Vai, Mike Varney, Von Groove, Wild Dogs, Richie Zito

Here's more information along with pictures over the years (too long to post):

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/De ... onovo.html

It's true... Deen was Mike Varney's GO TO guy for a lot of those Shrapnel albums. Those albums were all about technique. You had to have some SERIOUS chops to be able to play on albums with MacAlpine, Cacophany, Marty Friedman... not to mention Steve Vai. Anyone who doubts Deen's drum chops doesn't know what real drumming is.
Fernando Ramirez
45 RPM

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:04 am

Monker wrote:Deen is a great drummer, no doubt about that. But, in the top 15? I doubt it. Todd Sucherman beats Deen, easily.

Ok, so name 12 more.

So far we have Neil Peart, Todd Sucherman, Steve Smith. I know I can come up with some more, but I am interested on who else you would put ahead of Deen.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:37 pm

Monker says:

Deen is a great drummer, no doubt about that. But, in the top 15? I doubt it. Todd Sucherman beats Deen, easily.

I'm just thinking of drummers that are still out there today, recording and touring. Yes, Todd would be in "my" top 15 list too, he's amazing!!
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:49 pm

You can name all the drummers you want... It completely misses the point. Castranovo, is BETTER in this regard than anyone, because he can sing, unlike Peart, Smith Dunbar, Sucherman and any other drummer...

In Journey, his vocals are needed. He drums very well, which is all that is needed. Journey doesn't need Peart playing with 3 bass drums, and 86 other accessories.. Journey has the best person with the capabilities that they NEED.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:55 pm

Boris Williams, ex-Cure, is an amazing drummer, perhaps the best in rock. Listen to his drumming on Disintegration, and watch him in Show; you'll see what I mean.

Neal Peart, I agree, is awesome too.

Steve Smith is cool, and that Deen guy sounds great on those few seconds of clips I heard.

What about AVH? Thoughts about him?

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:00 pm

Bloodflower wrote:Boris Williams, ex-Cure, is an amazing drummer, perhaps the best in rock. Listen to his drumming on Disintegration, and watch him in Show; you'll see what I mean.

Neal Peart, I agree, is awesome too.

Steve Smith is cool, and that Deen guy sounds great on those few seconds of clips I heard.

What about AVH? Thoughts about him?

Come on, please? The Cure is techno computer shit processed infested maggot crap. Anything Cure belongs in the fuckin' garbage. It is fine to say you like them, but don't ever put one of those freaks up against real rock musicians...

Yeah yeah, Neal Peart..Heard it all...

AVH- If his last name weren't Van Halen, he would be selling washers and dryers at Sears.

And I got to tell ya Bloodflower....I am being semi calm, and respectful, but "that Deen guy" shit is getting suspicious. Go to the Journey site, and do a little homework. You know exactly who "that Deen guy" is...
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:12 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:
Bloodflower wrote:Come on, please? The Cure is techno computer shit processed infested maggot crap. Anything Cure belongs in the fuckin' garbage. It is fine to say you like them, but don't ever put one of those freaks up against real rock musicians...

Have you ever actually heard a Cure song? They are the furthest from techno that you could get. They do a blend of styles, from dance rock to post- punk to ballads to ultra-hard rock. They are NOT techno.

Secondly, you think they aren't real musicians? I will grant you that Robert Smith does not have as technically good a voice as Steve Perry. But Simon Gallup is well known to be one of the better bassists, Boris Williams is hailed as a great drummer, AND:

Porl Thompson, current guitarist for the Cure, toured with Page and Plant for years. They were AWED by his talents, which are considerable. Page could not believe what he heard and saw when he watched Porl play. This is JIMMY PAGE.

Robert SMith, too, has been hailed as an underrated great guitarist. And he's a bang-up lyricist, one of the best, and famed for his writing skills.

So. YOu don't have to like The Cure. I couldn't care less. But you are factually incorrect when you say they are not REAL musicians.
Rock'ndeano wrote:And I got to tell ya Bloodflower....I am being semi calm, and respectful, but "that Deen guy" shit is getting suspicious. Go to the Journey site, and do a little homework. You know exactly who "that Deen guy" is...

Have you forgotten that I have not followed the current line-up until very recently? I say the Deen guy because I am simply not familiar with him. It's just my way. Why does it sound suspcious? I don't mean anything at all by it.

You know, I take back what I said about liking you. I promised to stay respectful, and so I will. I will be respectful to you. But liking you is another matter. I do believe you violated Andrew's request to be respectful. You are not being so, in my view.

Next

Return to Journey