generations or arrival?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

generations or arrival?

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:31 am

i heard many fans prefer generations to arrival. is this true? which is better in your opinion. i want honest opinions, please cos Im gonna buy it soon! arrival was okay but i didn't like all of it just some songs! but neal still rocks!
Dan
Radio Waves

Re: generations or arrival?

Postby NealIsGod » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:39 am

Dan wrote:i heard many fans prefer generations to arrival. is this true? which is better in your opinion. i want honest opinions, please cos Im gonna buy it soon! arrival was okay but i didn't like all of it just some songs! but neal still rocks!

Many of us on this board, me included, believe that the new CD is one of the top two or three Journey CDs ever. Look in past threads for sound bytes, or maybe someone with more time than I have right now can repost them here for you...

Welcome to the board. :P
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby cubby69 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:54 am

Generations buries Arrival. Don't get me wrong, I like Arrival, but it two major problems:

A. Way to many ballads
B. It was what Sony decided Journey should sound like. PERIOD.

Take out some of the middle ballads and you have a pretty dam decent Journey album. I loved several songs but it pales in comparison to what they have done with Generations. Augeri for one, really comes to life on these songs, much like he did on Red 13 only with better production. I think he is starting to come into his own as the singer for Journey.

As far as the multiple vocalist, and the way some fans dislike it, I hate to remind them that before and during Perry's stint with the band they did have multiple vocatlist as well. Neal sings 2 songs off of the 'Next' album and one song off of Departure. Rolie sang several songs on Infinity, Evolution and Departure. So its not like this is a new thing as some of them may have you believe.
When its all boiled down and the days at an end, I'll give you no bullshit and I'll never pretend.
cubby69
Ol' 78

Generations - different than Arrival...

Postby brandonx76 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:13 pm

A confirmed Generations fan here. Definitely some rockers here that stand out, more-so than those on Arrival. A brief recommendation - find a stretch of road, and, ensure a good car stereo system installed, and BLAST "Faith in the Heart Land" - it absolutely rocks, and has a classic Journey groove, I attribute to non-other than Ross Valory. What a great bass player. I'll always long for Steve Smitty-Smith to be playing in a Journey line up - but some of the class rythm groove juice has gotten into Deen for sure. What a lucky bastard that guy is...I take that back, I'd say lucky, but he is also a talented Mo-Fo, as evidenced by his playing/enthusiasm on this release (as opposed to the Red 13 cuts), and his two lead vocal cameos. The guy is PURE adrenline on on the drums, and closer to the Perry sound vocally, than Augeri,...now how amazing is that?? I'm not bashing the current "Steve", I just think Deen would be more than capable of producing a Journey'esque solo CD that many of us would "eat up".

Anyway - I have hearnestly been listening to both Arrival and Generations - and the great moments on Arrival are great (*thinks back to the end part of 'Lifetime of Dreams', absolutely AWESOME!, and other gems like World Gone Wild, Higher Place, etc), but the great moments on Generations are there and warrante repeated listenings. The aforementioned Faith in the Heartland, Place in your Heart, Self Defense, Out of Harms Way, end part of Every Generations.....

I'm glad the Journey camp is able to crank out music of this caliber, and hope they continue to do it. They definitely have a wealth of material waiting in the wings - that fans will definitely dig.
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby Red13JoePa » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:32 pm

As greeat as Arrival is, and I love it at the time I had though higher Place wa the best song the band had ever put out, I'm taking Generations. All been said before, the band finding it's post perry stride, neal of course omnipresent and goddammit does Augeri sound incredible on it.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:32 pm

GENERATIONS is better than Arrival-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:30 am

its pretty unanimous here that everyone likes generations more than arrival so i am stoked to get it. but i heard you can only get it at their concerts now and that it won't be for sale until the fall...bummer. i dont know if i will be able to go to the concert here as i travel for work but we will see. dont get me wrong i liked arrival but it seemed too perry ish and i wanted them to do something different. higher place, world gone wild and some others were really great but i was kinda bored lol. augeri can sing though maybe not as good as perry but he can wail pretty well and i heard he was better on generations so i am happy to get it soon
sorry for typos i am always in a hurry in this cafe because we only have 15 minutes.
Dan
Radio Waves

Postby jrnyman28 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:33 am

"Generations" will be available for sale August 24th for the Japan version. It will cost more, but comes with two bonus tracks!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:43 am

cool thanks! where can i get it? amazon or record store or at the label or all three? who is their label now?
Dan
Radio Waves

Postby jrnyman28 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:38 am

There is a European Version available August 29th through www.frontiers.it that has one bonust track.

The Japanese version will be available through
www.amazon.com
www.amazon.ca
www.amazon.uk

www.cdjapan.co.jp
http://www.hottracksimportcds.com/pd_jo ... ions_2.cfm
http://www.hmv.co.jp/index.asp?lang=en

I think those links will work.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:38 am

jrnyman28 wrote:"Generations" will be available for sale August 24th for the Japan version. It will cost more, but comes with two bonus tracks!

What about a good ol USA cd?-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby jrnyman28 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:39 am

Abitaman wrote:
jrnyman28 wrote:"Generations" will be available for sale August 24th for the Japan version. It will cost more, but comes with two bonus tracks!

Available now at a concert near you.
Reported that it will be available through www.journeyswag.com in the future.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:47 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
Abitaman wrote:

Available now at a concert near you.
Reported that it will be available through www.journeyswag.com in the future.

that's what gets me mad about the whole thing. No USA release!!!!!!! COME ON! Maybe they need to move overseas! If I hads a record company I would sign them. BUT I don't, no wonder the music biz is in sad shape. They are idiots, not to sign Journey-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:52 am

jrnyman28 wrote:Available now at a concert near you.

Maybe not. I went last night, and didn't get one. I am still pissed.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Red13JoePa » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:28 am

Why, WHy Deano, why?!?!? Why are a bunch of these venues stonewalling the band giving out their cd? I know they make good money on the shows but at some point i would've loved them to go, "You're not letting us give out Generations? Here's your fee back. We're not playing this fucking show, get lost." I think venues would blink. this band packe them in.

Did Prince have this problem?
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:52 am

Well, since I can't read the fucking page because Brandon's avatari is what, 590% too big! come on dude, lose that thing.

Yeah, I am a bit disappointed. No CD, shitty set..not at all pleased.

I don't know if Prince had problems. Who the Hell would see that freak?
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:29 am

Well, some venues have an accounting issue...that is why they do not allow handing out the CDs. I can only hope that the ticket preice is adjusted properly. However, I have seen the volunteer lists for the next few shows. I am pretty sure there will be CD handouts at them. I will know for sure on Tuesday.

However, the setlist really has me worried. If they have dropped down to ONE frickin' "Generations" song I am gonna blow. When I went to the Main Event Show, all the talk had been about how the band was playing "Precious Time". That was what I was looking forward to. I was willing to forgive the rest of the setlist (Due to time constraints) for that ONE song. (I was hoping for Higher Place as well). Guess what? NEITHER song was played. That is why I was not concerned about last years tour. I wanted to see Deen sing on the De-Tour but the set list did nothing for me. THIS is the show I have been waiting for! If it is not similar to what they have been doing earlier then I will probably be done with their concerts.

I do not have the time/money to go to a lot of concerts. I usually do ONE a year. I usually reserve that ONE for Journey. If they have ruined the setlist when they come here on Tuesday then all bets are off.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:11 am

Well, I take it back! No CD at Denver..... :(
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Rockindeano » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:14 am

How do you know already?

Secondly, this IS Journey at their worst. Goddammit, they could have that thing at SWAG at least....Perhaps thay really cannot bitch about people going to Limewire and Kazaa now..I don't blame them. They want the CD! Hello? Where is that manager guy? Oh, shhh, sleeping ..

PS- Dave, they went on at 730, and ended at 1000ish. The fair had shuttles running until 100A..I doubt it was a curfew thing, unless maybe for the noise.

They did sound great tho..
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby jrnyman28 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:22 am

Rock'ndeano wrote:How do you know already?

Street Team announcement. I was going to be handing out the disc at the show. But now I am not needed.

Rock'ndeano wrote:Secondly, this IS Journey at their worst. Goddammit, they could have that thing at SWAG at least....Perhaps thay really cannot bitch about people going to Limewire and Kazaa now..I don't blame them. They want the CD! Hello? Where is that manager guy? Oh, shhh, sleeping ..

Worst? I don't know about that (ROR), but I am not happy.
I have understood all along that this is a "gift" to the fans so the release date would be later. I have even understood the "accounting" excuse. But to find out TWO DAYS before the show, AFTER management had already put together and announced the Street Team Volunteers is RIDICULOUS!!

You are correct, people are going to go online, download it, probably get it at 128kbps which sounds poor, think the CD sounds bad and NOT buy it later!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Andrew » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:00 pm

Hey "brandonpfn", I'm killing that avatar of yours. How about one about 1/10th the size?
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Abitaman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:08 pm

Hey Andrew, some help here please. What's up with Journey? Sounds like they are really screwing up a good cd, and what started out as a good tour.-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:12 pm

No Free cd at the Milwaukee show either. I was disappointed, especially reading on the Journey sites about the free cd at the shows. They said they weren't selling them because it was a "festival". When Journey played at Summerfest it was a paid venue and you had to have a ticket to get in. I still bought one :)
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:20 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:No Free cd at the Milwaukee show either. I was disappointed, especially reading on the Journey sites about the free cd at the shows. They said they weren't selling them because it was a "festival". When Journey played at Summerfest it was a paid venue and you had to have a ticket to get in. I still bought one :)

So what is you offical view on the cd?-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby NealIsGod » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:03 pm

So Journey is not releasing the CD in the States, only online overseas and at Journey SWAG eventually. WTF? This CD is going to die like Arrival did, which is a real shame b/c it some of Journey's best work.

Andrew, does Journey have any deals to sell the songs for download on iTunes or anywhere else?
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby OpeningAct » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:19 pm

NealIsGod wrote:So Journey is not releasing the CD in the States, only online overseas and at Journey SWAG eventually. WTF? This CD is going to die like Arrival did, which is a real shame b/c it some of Journey's best work.

Andrew, does Journey have any deals to sell the songs for download on iTunes or anywhere else?
Another example of horrendous marketing and promotion that hurts the band.....
OpeningAct
LP

Postby Andrew » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:32 pm

There are plans for the USA....stay tuned...Neal talks about it in his interview.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby NealIsGod » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:06 pm

Andrew wrote:There are plans for the USA....stay tuned...Neal talks about it in his interview.

Can't wait to read it. What would we do without Andrew and MR.com?
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby OpeningAct » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:21 pm

NealIsGod wrote:
Andrew wrote:There are plans for the USA....stay tuned...Neal talks about it in his interview.

Can't wait to read it. What would we do without Andrew and MR.com?
We'd probably have to turn into lemmings at Backtalk NIG and post how cute Steve looks in tight leather pants... :wink: :shock:
Thank GOD for Andrew's forums...I wholeheartedly agree!!!!
OpeningAct
LP

Postby yak » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:23 pm

Awesome Andrew! PLEASE tell Neal to play Generations songs at the concerts! Tell him to stand up for what he believes...like he used to!
What To Do When You See a Loon Coming

yak
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Journey