"For You"

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

"For You"

Postby Hippie » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:07 am

Just ran this song through the media player.

Who's heard this one?
For those who haven't, this is a Journey rarity with Robert Fleischman on lead (the singer soonafter replaced by Perry)

I'm a fan of alternate realities! :D

1) How would you rate Fleischman Journey vs. Perry Journey or Augeri Journey? (I know it's tough since we have only the one song to go on)*

2) Do you think Fleischman-Journey would have gone as far?

I'm not sure myself, but I will say that my first impression of Augeri was that he sounded like the sound they were going for with Fleischman.

*I know Fleischman-Journey had recorded a few songs for Infinity when Fleischman got the boot; "For You" being one of them. Anybody know of any other recordings floating around?
“How did that sound?”

“Like Teddy Ruxbin hooked up to a car battery!”

---Night Court
Hippie
45 RPM

Postby heardonthestreet » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:18 am

I liked the way RF did the song a lot. I think that Perry auditioned the song but never recorded it. I could be wrong.

I thought that some of Journey's early songs were pretty good but that the jamming ruined them. jmo
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Re: "For You"

Postby Monker » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:35 am

There are two versions of this...

One is a Journey demo recording.
I believe he also recorded it for his solo album "Perfect Strangers".

Hippie wrote:Just ran this song through the media player.

Who's heard this one?
For those who haven't, this is a Journey rarity with Robert Fleischman on lead (the singer soonafter replaced by Perry)

I'm a fan of alternate realities! :D

1) How would you rate Fleischman Journey vs. Perry Journey or Augeri Journey? (I know it's tough since we have only the one song to go on)*

2) Do you think Fleischman-Journey would have gone as far?

I'm not sure myself, but I will say that my first impression of Augeri was that he sounded like the sound they were going for with Fleischman.

*I know Fleischman-Journey had recorded a few songs for Infinity when Fleischman got the boot; "For You" being one of them. Anybody know of any other recordings floating around?
Monker
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:54 pm

Like the tune a lot. It's the kind of thing they should be able to play on THIS tour if the :cry: stopped for 1/2 a second and the damn soccer mom crowd listened to the songs for more than 2 seconds. It IS one of the true gems of TIME3 the greatest boxset ever assembled.
HOTS is right, track-by-track liner notes not only say Perry auditioned with this song, but that it was his rendition of For You that convinced them to change to Perry.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:44 pm

Red13JoePa wrote:HOTS is right, track-by-track liner notes not only say Perry auditioned with this song, but that it was his rendition of For You that convinced them to change to Perry.

TIME 3's liner notes gives as sugarcoated a version of Journey history as VH1's Behind the Music.
From what I've read in various interviews, it seemed like Herbie decided upon Perry just from hearing his demos.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:48 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Red13JoePa wrote:HOTS is right, track-by-track liner notes not only say Perry auditioned with this song, but that it was his rendition of For You that convinced them to change to Perry.

TIME 3's liner notes gives as sugarcoated a version of Journey history as VH1's Behind the Music.
From what I've read in various interviews, it seemed like Herbie decided upon Perry just from hearing his demos.

Yeah, didn't they fire Fleischman during soundcheck?

Get on it Andrew, you lazy bastard.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:52 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:Yeah, didn't they fire Fleischman during soundcheck?

Not that I'm aware of.

Rock'ndeano wrote:Get on it Andrew, you lazy bastard.

Funny. But after a hard day's work, Andrew is likely to take it the wrong way and ban your unappreciative mockful ass. Be careful.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:14 am

I like "For You" quite a bit.
I think Robert and Journey would have enjoyed some success...but not as much as they got with Perry.
I think Robert with Journey would have kept them a rock band.
After last nights show, nothing will dissuade me from THIS LINEUP of Journey!

I believe Perry 'auditioned' during a soundcheck. But that is not when they 'fired' Robert. I do believe that HH had already made up his mind, without the 'audition'. But we all know that it was not until Perry and Neal wrote "Patiently" that Perry was 'welcomed' into Journey.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:03 am

jrnyman28 wrote:After last nights show, nothing will dissuade me from THIS LINEUP of Journey!

No skimping on the details, please.
Let's hear it all.
Setlist, vocals, water spraying bass stand etc etc.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Greg » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:40 am

I also think RF would have enjoyed success with Journey, but I agree that Journey probably wouldn't have been AS successful.....

However, I betcha RF probably would still have been in the band....
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby heardonthestreet » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:43 am

And then to, maybe Journey may have faded into obscurity, Greggi.
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:59 am

heardonthestreet wrote:And then to, maybe Journey may have faded into obscurity, Greggi.

Maybe, But I think there was TOO MUCH TALENT within this band to let that happen.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby heardonthestreet » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:09 pm

A whole lot of maybe.
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:15 pm

heardonthestreet wrote:And then to, maybe Journey may have faded into obscurity, Greggi.

Ya never know....all in all, I like Perry's vocals over RF....
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:48 pm

heardonthestreet wrote:And then to, maybe Journey may have faded into obscurity

Definately.
All those Journey guys (minus Steve) total hacks. Did you know that before Perry joined they were holding concerts at local San Fran soup kitchens, playing for a loaf of bread?
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Journey