Best and worst songs in concert

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Best and worst songs in concert

Postby OpeningAct » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:00 am

What songs do you think sound way better live than they do on cd. For me, it's Wheel in the Sky because it's upbeat tempo during a live show as compared to the studio version.

Worst song? Hmm...Off the top of my head I can't think of one. I know, I'm lame. :wink:
OpeningAct
LP

Postby Playitloudforme » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:32 am

Raza del Sol kicked BUTT live. Not that it sounds bad on CD but it was electrifying live.
Playitloudforme
Cassette Tape

Postby NealIsGod » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:02 am

Others have said on this board, and I tend to agree, that Anyway You Want It is not as good live.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:06 am

NealIsGod wrote:Others have said on this board, and I tend to agree, that Anyway You Want It is not as good live.

It usually isn't.
Listen to it either on Captured or on GH Live. Both sound shoddy in comparison to the record.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:12 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
NealIsGod wrote:Others have said on this board, and I tend to agree, that Anyway You Want It is not as good live.

It usually isn't.
Listen to it either on Captured or on GH Live. Both sound shoddy in comparison to the record.

I agree. I wonder why that is?

Funny story - My 12 year old neice asked me what music I like, so I played her some Journey. First up was Somethin' to Hide. She HATED Perry's voice, said it was "weird, not natural, way too high." She seemed creeped out that a man could sing like that. Made me realize how none of today's bands feature singers with high voices like we grew up with, like Journey, Triumph, Rush, Zebra, etc.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:19 am

NealIsGod wrote: Made me realize how none of today's bands feature singers with high voices like we grew up with, like Journey, Triumph, Rush, Zebra, etc.

Well..err..there is "The Darkness". But they suck.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby NealIsGod » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:41 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
NealIsGod wrote: Made me realize how none of today's bands feature singers with high voices like we grew up with, like Journey, Triumph, Rush, Zebra, etc.

Well..err..there is "The Darkness". But they suck.

Yeah, they are a parody, IMO. Maybe that singer will be less silly on the next CD.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Fernando Ramirez » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:06 am

I guess grunge and nu-rock has taught the masses that guys have to sing "low" (ala "creed") and tune your guitars down a "half-step". I hope you're teaching them otherwise, Neal!
Fernando Ramirez
45 RPM

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:42 am

I disagree bigtime with all you..

Anyway You Want is A LOT better live..IMO..You got the added litte crowd sing a long, and it is IMO, the best crowd fervor song on the list.

However, DSB is Better live, the extra guitar bridge...Chain Reaction Live is better than studio with the jam session..

FU you all.. I think Perry said it best..

"Live is where the band lives.It really does live live."

I don't want the songs to sound identical to the record. I think the record version of Wheel sucks.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby heardonthestreet » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:36 am

Open Arms and Send Her My Love. Much better live, imo.
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:49 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:I disagree bigtime with all you..

Anyway You Want is A LOT better live..IMO.

Sir, ur opinion is belied by both GH Live and Captured. On those aforementioned albums, AWYWI sounds like crap. Contest that.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:08 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Sir, ur opinion is belied by both GH Live and Captured. On those aforementioned albums, AWYWI sounds like crap. Contest that.

Why are you being a big bitch tonight? Hand fall asleep?

Look, the entire GH Live sucked. Neal says that Perry picked all the songs, and all the songs he picked, Neal sounded off, or there was a mic problem or whatever.

My opinion is based on not only Captured and GH Live, but also seeing the band about 6 times per year.

Captured I thought was crisp clean and fantastic for AWYWI...

If AWYWI sucks so bad, go listen to Arrival 2001. Tell me the studio version is better. No, in your words, contest that.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:12 pm

Leaving that song alone..

I thought Suzanne and Positive Touch in 86 were awful live...Only the Young too..in 86..much better now

86 they played everything so fast.. ANWYWI was done in 2:00 flat..ridiculous.\

As far as good songs, WCN and Patiently come to mind immediately.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:13 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:Captured I thought was crisp clean and fantastic for AWYWI.

Listen again.

Rock'ndeano wrote:If AWYWI sucks so bad, go listen to Arrival 2001. Tell me the studio version is better. No, in your words, contest that.

The 2001 dvd is the exception, not the norm.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:17 pm

Maybe I am liking live for different reasons. I love the crowd interaction..

ex: All night(all night-crowd) I dig that.

And why is Arrival 2001 an exception? I have seen the current lineup about 20 times, and I would put Arrival 2001 about mid pack.. Seriously NC, you need to see some more shows.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby OpeningAct » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:02 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Why are you being a big bitch tonight? Hand fall asleep?

Look, the entire GH Live sucked. Neal says that Perry picked all the songs, and all the songs he picked, Neal sounded off, or there was a mic problem or whatever.

My opinion is based on not only Captured and GH Live, but also seeing the band about 6 times per year.

Captured I thought was crisp clean and fantastic for AWYWI...

If AWYWI sucks so bad, go listen to Arrival 2001. Tell me the studio version is better. No, in your words, contest that.
You know that IS true. The most Noble one never gave up a single WOMAN he would love to bang...I'm guessing he's giving it a grab reading his thesaurus...probably wants a back door reaming from Frasier and Niles with Martin Crane whacking off watching.
OpeningAct
LP

Postby OpeningAct » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:04 pm

heardonthestreet wrote:Open Arms and Send Her My Love. Much better live, imo.
I wish they would put Open Arms out to pasture...unless there was female company next to yours truly.... :wink:
OpeningAct
LP

Postby Rockindeano » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:19 pm

OpeningAct wrote: You know that IS true. The most Noble one never gave up a single WOMAN he would love to bang...I'm guessing he's giving it a grab reading his thesaurus...probably wants a back door reaming from Frasier and Niles with Martin Crane whacking off watching.

Yet MORE abuse
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby OpeningAct » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:37 pm

Rock'ndeano wrote:
OpeningAct wrote: You know that IS true. The most Noble one never gave up a single WOMAN he would love to bang...I'm guessing he's giving it a grab reading his thesaurus...probably wants a back door reaming from Frasier and Niles with Martin Crane whacking off watching.

Yet MORE abuse
Be still cretain...I'm as much as Journey fan as you are.... :P
OpeningAct
LP

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:08 am

Wheel In The Sky absolutely KILLED at the show here! EVERYONE was singing along! Love the change up at the end. Definately better live than on record.

ATL is dull live.

Escape is the ONE problem song for Steve so it does not pull off live.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyjetster » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:28 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
Escape is the ONE problem song for Steve so it does not pull off live.

Yet this song has been a staple in the setlist every year... I say, DUMP IT and add another GENERATIONS song!
Augeri does OK with Escape, but this song can obviously be challenging on the vocal chords night after night.
jrnyjetster
Cassette Tape

Postby Red13JoePa » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:35 am

My god does Escape have to go. I know it's Castronovo's favorite tune to play but it's been a total staple now for too long. I don't like it live...throw LaRaza back in with the extended Hammondb3 Cain/Neal/Deen jamout. That song went to another level live on the 2001 dvd...
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby Rockindeano » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:42 am

OpeningAct wrote: Be still cretain...I'm as much as Journey fan as you are.... :P

You think I wasn't going to say anymore on this topic?

You aren't a Journey fan. You are a freak of nature. After last nights tirade, and the mud and hate you threw around, I will never be afraid of getting banned from here, and if I do, I won't care.

I am seriously frightened of you. You and your suitcase of altered personalities came into view last night.

Don't believe me, everyone?

Shall I post the hate filled and threatening PM's you wrote me? I am still in shock, and this is ME, we are talking about.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby Abitaman » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:04 am

Thought Escape was a killer live when I saw them a couple years back.

Perry era
Best Live
Dont Stop Bel....
Still they Ride
Worst Live
Any Way You Want it
Raised on Radio

AUGERI era
Best Live
Seperate ways
Remember Me

Worst song
Any Way....
Who's Crying now

ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Red13JoePa » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:53 am

The Time is absolutely ON FIRE live. I had the pleasure of hearing it and it's staggering.
Steveo says, "Journey has always been a rock band and now is no exception. Proving that IN time all things can heal, from Red13 here is The Time." Then right away you hear Deen kick it; BABABABABABABBA!!!! then Neal: BBBRRrrrrrrrrrNNNNNNRRRRRR NNNNRRRRRR NNNNRRRRRRR NNNNNRRRRRR NNNNRRRRRRRR NRRRRRR BBBBRRRRRRRRR ( :lol: :lol: :lol: that looks so stupid but you get the point)
I can't do it justice with a keyboard but hhooooo boy does it sound cool.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Return to Journey